Current Chicago Players 2020

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Current Chicago Players 2020

Post by PolackTony »

Frank wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:01 am
Coloboy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:59 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:07 pm
Coloboy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:37 am
As far as Paolian giving cash to Sarno in prison, that’s really interesting. It could be a number of things. Perhaps Sarno was invested in Greg’s books and entitled to a share (likely), maybe greg was the trusted courier for the outfits “pension” or tribute payment to Sarno for being in prison, or perhaps as some say he might still be considered the boss and is getting his fair share (unlikely).
This info tells us that Sarno is likely not out of the rackets, though it doesn’t help us place him within the structure. I lean towards your first possibility — Sarno was likely partnered or invested in Paloian’s enterprise. I have a hard time seeing Sarno as any kind of boss at this point, not even in the vein of receiving tribute as a “semi retired boss” as in the old days (and I agree that if this were the case one would expect the money to come from a made guy). But who knows with the current Outfit.

I’m not taking a stand on it either way, but of course there were guys who never bought Sarno as boss of anything, not even as Cicero capo. In that scenario, Solly Cards was Cicero capo, while Joey A/Marco the Mover were holding the top spot/s. If Sarno was actually boss, I’ve always wondered why he would use a dirtbag like Polchan — sure, maybe for “insulation”, but the boss should’ve had better muscle at his disposal. EP, by contrast, probably had access to a guy like Steve Mandell, who I believe was a very dangerous individual.
I’ve always felt the EP leadership in that period (late 90’s-mid 2000’s), could also count on Vena’s grand ave muscle as well. It seems they were fairly tight. If we are to believe that Zizzo was indeed hit by Vena or his crew, you have to think that order came from the top, meaning Difronzo/ Andriacchi
Vena is related to Andriacchi either by blood or marriage.
There’s a relation by marriage (I believe) between Vena and Christy Spina as well. The Calabresi Grand Ave connection.

I’m not 100% sure, but my understanding is that Chuckie Russell and Vena were related in some way as well.

With the Zizzo thing, either the order came from the top, or they gave their nod and made it understood that they would allow it. My belief is the former, but who knows what really happened.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

funkster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 am The general consensus has always been that when a high level guy gets locked up they're pretty much isolated from the life/rackets. This seems to show that might not be the case. Wonder if anyone else locked up is still getting money from the streets.
Thats kinda a grey area with the Outfit. Alot of guys in leadership positions died behind bars. These instances span many time periods and also probably have to look at each case differently. I haven't seen to often the word acting boss or capo in the Outfit. We know Capone maintained some sort of control while jailed. But appears to over time lost control while in prison. And of course eventually became a very sick man. Ricca and Lefty the opposite, with Ricca maintaining his boss position. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Battaglia and Alderisio hadnt died. Cerone maintained a leadership position when he was released in the 70s. Aiuppa and Cerone is always an interesting time period for this convo. Their age and nobody knew they were getting out in 10 years. Fosco claims DiFronzo and Andriacchi were like kids when the parents come home from a long trip
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Frank wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:49 am
funkster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 am The general consensus has always been that when a high level guy gets locked up they're pretty much isolated from the life/rackets. This seems to show that might not be the case. Wonder if anyone else locked up is still getting money from the streets.
Thats kinda a grey area with the Outfit. Alot of guys in leadership positions died behind bars. These instances span many time periods and also probably have to look at each case differently. I haven't seen to often the word acting boss or capo in the Outfit. We know Capone maintained some sort of control while jailed. But appears to over time lost control while in prison. And of course eventually became a very sick man. Ricca and Lefty the opposite, with Ricca maintaining his boss position. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Battaglia and Alderisio hadnt died. Cerone maintained a leadership position when he was released in the 70s. Aiuppa and Cerone is always an interesting time period for this convo. Their age and nobody knew they were getting out in 10 years. Fosco claims DiFronzo and Andriacchi were like kids when the parents come home from a long trip
I asked Fosco if Joey O returned to any kind of position of authority when he got out, i had noticed he'd been out about a year before he died. He told me that he was pretty out of it and in terrible health.

I just have always found it interesting given their counterparts in NY. Guys like Ducks were consulted even after he went away for life, obviously you have Amuso who is still boss and Persico remained the primary power for decades.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

funkster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:13 am
Frank wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:49 am
I asked Fosco if Joey O returned to any kind of position of authority when he got out, i had noticed he'd been out about a year before he died. He told me that he was pretty out of it and in terrible health.

I just have always found it interesting given their counterparts in NY. Guys like Ducks were consulted even after he went away for life, obviously you have Amuso who is still boss and Persico remained the primary power for decades.
But didn't he also talk about Aiuppa still having the clout to want Cerone killed when the latter got out? I never really put too much stock in that but if true, it shows that he still had standing or authority. He was also identified by the FBI as the Outfit's "consligliere" when we got out, which we all know was basically the Accardo/"semi-retired advisor" position.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

I don't recall seeing that file. Very interesting. Given Accardo was dead by then it would make sense...especially with how tight Aiuppa's control was when he was boss.

I do remember the Cerone stuff, I have a hard time with his Cerone opinions though..he always had an axe to grind with the family.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Yeah, while we don't have an example of a Pete Gotti/Amuso type situation with Chicago, where the official boss is nominally kept as the boss even when they're in prison forever, the situation is complicated by the fact that Chicago always had these "semi-retired statesmen" around, continuing to receive a pension and at least consulted on some matters.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Its always hard to gauge how actual to the facts the Fosco info is. Is it fact, rumour, his opinion. Or is it fact, rumour, or opinion of Willie Messina or Mike Mags. Fosco does mention Aiuppa as one of the former top bosses. Im sure DiFronzo and Andriacchi were on pins and needles when they knew the former bosses were probably going to soon be released. As it turned out Cerone was very sick and died about a week or 2 from release. Aiuppa lived about a year from his release. Fosco definitely seemed to have an axe to grind with the Cerones and DiFronzo. Could you imagine whats transpired with Foscos ANP stuff happening back in the 70s early 80s with Aiuppa and Accardo as bosses. Theyed all be wacked.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

He always seemed particularly fond of Aiuppa though.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

funkster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 pm He always seemed particularly fond of Aiuppa though.
And Giancana. I would imagine he got alot of info from Willie Messina. Therefore I tend to give some thought that there is some things that are fact
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

My goodness, Joe Shine Amabile's grandkid also charged along with Paloian.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021 ... estigation
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

I knew Jimmy Amabile was connected to Carparelli's thing, but really surprised these guys were booking. The family has a lot of money from the grocery store chain they own and a TON of real estate. Really surprised but nothing changes in Melrose Park.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:15 pm My goodness, Joe Shine Amabile's grandkid also charged along with Paloian.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021 ... estigation
Ha! Of course...
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:27 pm I knew Jimmy Amabile was connected to Carparelli's thing, but really surprised these guys were booking. The family has a lot of money from the grocery store chain they own and a TON of real estate. Really surprised but nothing changes in Melrose Park.
I'm sure I've seen it somewhere before, but what stores do they own?
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Wasn't the kid of the owner of Horwath's charged in the original indictment as well, or was he in the Del Giudice one? Hard to keep track at this point.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Sorry funk I was trying to make a joke there that fell flat - the kid Grocery Joe had a hipster store in Hegewisch. I do know from growing up however, Joe Shine had a piece of Scudiero's and basically everything else in Melrose Park. They do own real estate.

Joe Shine had like 8 or 9 kids. Most of those kids became cops, firefighters and legitimate guys. One of the Amabile boys married the daughter of Harry Aleman - Terri. Because he couldn't make money any other way, worked for Cicero under the Spano's courtesy of Ferriola, along with another brother Jimmy (who was indicted with Carparelli). What this tells me is that there is still enough money to be made for these guys to risk it like this - and that I think you will find Jimmy Amabile being tied with Billy DiDomenico's ring - which may have been Paloian's the entire time.