jimmy calandra

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: jimmy calandra

Post by PolackTony »

newera_212 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:12 pm
Dapper_Don wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:02 pm
seems to me like all the chinese folks from canal st,etc in manhattan from back in the day moved down to that area in brooklyn considering how they have taken over.
I'm not sure about that - I don't know much about the Chinese but I think the Chinese communities in different boroughs consist of Chinese people from totally different regions & class types in China. The Manhattan Chinatown people are looked down upon by the rest, especially those in Flushing where there is an insane, ungodly amount of money and development. Manhattan Chinatown has a lot more Cantonese speakers too, I think. I don't think the Chinatowns in BK, Queens (Flushing and Elmhurst) and Manhattan are interchangeable. Those areas are fascinating to me because they are pretty much left alone to their own devices, not assimilated at all. People managing to run businesses, buy & sell property, make a living for 50+ years without learning the language or leaving the neighborhood. The NYPD doesn't have a ton of native Cantonese & Mandarin speakers. IDK - I feel like those places are their own cities and the people are just doing whatever the fuck they want lol - it's crazy
There are absolutely regional and class differences between the different NYC Chinese communities, that amount almost to ethnic differences. I lived in the Chinese part of Sunset Park for some time and what some of my neighbors told me aligns with things that I’ve read in articles about Chinese settlement in NYC. The original Manhattan Chinatown has historically been dominated by Cantonese speakers. In the 1970s and 80s, numbers of poor Fujianese immigrants (many apparently smuggled in by “Snakehead” OC groups) began arriving into that neighborhood. They were ostracized and discriminated against by the Cantonese, who often refused to rent to or employ them. Thus, the Fujianese people started to cluster in their own sub-neighborhood around East Broadway, which became known as “Little Fouzhou”. As that area was overcrowded, the Fujianese in the 80s took advantage of cheaper property values and a mass of vacant storefronts along 8th Ave in Sunset Park, essentially following what today are the N and D lines out of Manhattan (the Eastern part of Sunset was decaying rapidly due to white flight of the old Scandinavian, Italian, Polish, etc population in that era). Hence the development of the massive Sunset Park Chinatown, which has been expanded continuously by large numbers of mainly people from Fouzhou (anecdotally, I can attest that Chinese in other communities still very much look down in the Sunset Park community as basically a low-class slum and consider the Fujianese as almost like a racial minority). While I don’t have the sort of personal accounts about Flushing, much of the community has been developed by Taiwanese capital, which has given it a completely different character. From what I understand, the Chinese in Bensonhurst are heavily Cantonese (including not just cities like Guangdong but also Hong Kong), as is the smaller Chinese colony on Avenue U by the Q train, though there are also a number of more upwardly-mobile or longer-established Fujianese there as well.

One of my neighbors in Sunset, who was an unbelievably hard-working guy who came to NYC from Fouzhou with nothing and now owns property in BK, told me that the Chinese in NYC have tremendous respect for Italians, as the Italians value family, take care of their properties, and enjoy gardening (his account, not mine), which are all values that the Chinese share. He said that Chinese like him aspire to live in formerly Italian neighborhoods in Southern BK and SI for these reasons.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:43 pm
seems to me like all the chinese folks from canal st,etc in manhattan from back in the day moved down to that area in brooklyn considering how they have taken over.
I'm not sure about that - I don't know much about the Chinese but I think the Chinese communities in different boroughs consist of Chinese people from totally different regions & class types in China. The Manhattan Chinatown people are looked down upon by the rest, especially those in Flushing where there is an insane, ungodly amount of money and development. Manhattan Chinatown has a lot more Cantonese speakers too, I think. I don't think the Chinatowns in BK, Queens (Flushing and Elmhurst) and Manhattan are interchangeable. Those areas are fascinating to me because they are pretty much left alone to their own devices, not assimilated at all. People managing to run businesses, buy & sell property, make a living for 50+ years without learning the language or leaving the neighborhood. The NYPD doesn't have a ton of native Cantonese & Mandarin speakers. IDK - I feel like those places are their own cities and the people are just doing whatever the fuck they want lol - it's crazy
There are absolutely regional and class differences between the different NYC Chinese communities, that amount almost to ethnic differences. I lived in the Chinese part of Sunset Park for some time and what some of my neighbors told me aligns with things that I’ve read in articles about Chinese settlement in NYC. The original Manhattan Chinatown has historically been dominated by Cantonese speakers. In the 1970s and 80s, numbers of poor Fujianese immigrants (many apparently smuggled in by “Snakehead” OC groups) began arriving into that neighborhood. They were ostracized and discriminated against by the Cantonese, who often refused to rent to or employ them. Thus, the Fujianese people started to cluster in their own sub-neighborhood around East Broadway, which became known as “Little Fouzhou”. As that area was overcrowded, the Fujianese in the 80s took advantage of cheaper property values and a mass of vacant storefronts along 8th Ave in Sunset Park, essentially following what today are the N and D lines out of Manhattan (the Eastern part of Sunset was decaying rapidly due to white flight of the old Scandinavian, Italian, Polish, etc population in that era). Hence the development of the massive Sunset Park Chinatown, which has been expanded continuously by large numbers of mainly people from Fouzhou (anecdotally, I can attest that Chinese in other communities still very much look down in the Sunset Park community as basically a low-class slum and consider the Fujianese as almost like a racial minority). While I don’t have the sort of personal accounts about Flushing, much of the community has been developed by Taiwanese capital, which has given it a completely different character. From what I understand, the Chinese in Bensonhurst are heavily Cantonese (including not just cities like Guangdong but also Hong Kong), as is the smaller Chinese colony on Avenue U by the Q train, though there are also a number of more upwardly-mobile or longer-established Fujianese there as well.

One of my neighbors in Sunset, who was an unbelievably hard-working guy who came to NYC from Fouzhou with nothing and now owns property in BK, told me that the Chinese in NYC have tremendous respect for Italians, as the Italians value family, take care of their properties, and enjoy gardening (his account, not mine), which are all values that the Chinese share. He said that Chinese like him aspire to live in formerly Italian neighborhoods in Southern BK and SI for these reasons.
That comparison between Italian and Chinese is spot on. And there's probably more similarities. A lot of older people keeping the furniture wrapped up, being Republican (although a little less vocal), etc :lol:

I would add that while it might be going too far to say that Taiwan and Fujian culture are basically one and the same, from what I understand a lot of Taiwanese language/culture is rooted in Fujian. Their native languages have very similar roots. So its possible there may be some small kinship between the two groups.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

InCamelot wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:06 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:43 pm

That comparison between Italian and Chinese is spot on. And there's probably more similarities. A lot of older people keeping the furniture wrapped up, being Republican (although a little less vocal), etc :lol:

I would add that while it might be going too far to say that Taiwan and Fujian culture are basically one and the same, from what I understand a lot of Taiwanese language/culture is rooted in Fujian. Their native languages have very similar roots. So its possible there may be some small kinship between the two groups.
From what I understand, you are correct about some shared origins of both the Fujianese and Taiwanese, linguistically and culturally (both regions have large numbers of people who speak dialects of the Min language, which obviously arrived in Taiwan in the past via settlers from the Fouzhou region), though these two areas have since seen (obviously) major differences in political and cultural history. Many will say that Taiwan has preserved a lot of traditional Chinese culture that has been absolutely gutted in the PRC. I’d be interested to know what to what degree contemporary Fujianese and Taiwanese see each other as akin.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

my buddy's ex gf was japanese--she spoke a lot of different dialects and was great at knowing what another asian person was and where from--there seemed to be a lot of, i guess one could say racism, maybe idk, there were a lot of asian types she looked down on--i do know since she was japanese she viewed the japanese as a higher class of people--aside from that she was extremely smart. it was great going anywhere that had asian people/restaurant with her.

as far as JC he did a youtube talk with nick calabrese--calabrese did all the talking--thought that was good--in the beginning sounded like someone was doing the dishes lol--calabrese looks like he has a nice kitchen from the looks of the background

calabrese sounds like he speaks a lot better about his old man
Last edited by rayray on Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:43 am
Dapper_Don wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:39 am
PolackTony wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:30 pm
Mikeymike12 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:50 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:25 am
rphillips wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:02 am btw what is bath beach like now?
Russians, Mexicans, Chinese and Muslims of all stripes. Still some Italians but on the western edge of the neighborhood closest to Dyker Park.
Sad how much has changed in last 10-20 years...Half of the buildings/stores on 86 street is Chinese writing. Still Italians and little Irish but not like it was.
seems to me like all the chinese folks from canal st,etc in manhattan from back in the day moved down to that area in brooklyn considering how they have taken over. The Mrs was telling me theres still quite a number of older Italians (fixed income/bought storefronts or houses cheap back in the day who are still there)
IME, yes, there still a sizeable Italian population in Bensonhurst, though they do seem to mainly be older (as Johnny said, more noticeable going towards Dyker Heights). Tons of not just Chinese, but also Mexicans, Central Asians, Arabs, Pakistanis, etc there now. I’ve spent a lot of time in Bensonhurst, and if I didn’t know about the history of the neighborhood, I wouldn’t think of it as a definitely “Italian” neighborhood today, apart from the core strip on 18th Ave. Even then, I’d wonder how many of the patrons of the remaining Italian businesses on 18th Ave live in the area, rather than driving in from SI, LI, NJ.

There’s still a Polish restaurant there too, Chris’s on 86th St. There’s been enough continuing Polish immigration to BK to keep a couple of places (outside of Greenpoint) going, though I wonder how long that will last. I’ve been told by old timers from the area that back in the day there were a number of Polish alongside the Italians, Jews, and Irish in Bensonhurst.
Yep, I know Chris's, on the corner of 86th and Bay 20th St. Dont think ive ever had Polish food, will try to check out in the future. Problem is im on 87th in Bay Ridge and am already swamped with all kinds of great restaurants by me. Few weeks ago we were having dinner at this amazing Italian place by me we love (Brooklyn Roots) and Roger Clemens was there eating with his family, I think he was in town for something at Yankee stadium.
One of the best Polish restaurants in NYC, IMO, is Polonica on 83rd and 3rd Ave in Bay Ridge. As a Polack, it's highly recommended.

you ever have that white borsht? where they put in rye bread, hard boiled egg, kielbasas and horseradish in the broth
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Can someone break down this mob tube drama plz? Lol I’m a subscriber to all the channels but don’t understand a damn thing about who is doing what

Fat bald Sicilian has like interesting titles to his videos but then he spends the first hour just reading the viewers comments …. N not even good comments …. I’m talking like the “hey this is jimmy hello from Iowa” comments

A whole hour on that bs
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Jimmy “The book is great, really! I haven’t read it yet” Calandra.
Stopflexing
Straightened out

Post by Stopflexing »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:29 pm Can someone break down this mob tube drama plz? Lol I’m a subscriber to all the channels but don’t understand a damn thing about who is doing what

Fat bald Sicilian has like interesting titles to his videos but then he spends the first hour just reading the viewers comments …. N not even good comments …. I’m talking like the “hey this is jimmy hello from Iowa” comments

A whole hour on that bs
That dude is the absolute worst. Like you said all he does is read comments and has petty gossip drama with other YouTubers, it’s really pathetic.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Calandra talking about Mikey Scars coming to a youtube channel soon?
jimmi_beans8
Straightened out

Post by jimmi_beans8 »

scars also did a vid wit roger a few days ago
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

funkster wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:17 pm Calandra talking about Mikey Scars coming to a youtube channel soon?
Surprised that Gotti Jr and Scars don't vacation together since they both joined team usa
dave
Straightened out

Post by dave »

funkster wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:17 pm Calandra talking about Mikey Scars coming to a youtube channel soon?
Yeah, this one:

https://youtu.be/fcMfiBNacxg
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

dave wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:01 pm
Yeah, this one:

https://youtu.be/fcMfiBNacxg
Ah thanks. Looks like they posted another one yesterday, hopefully he'll be doing a lot more beyond talking about Sr.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:21 pm Jimmy “The book is great, really! I haven’t read it yet” Calandra.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Hes much better when with dades
and like that...he was gone