Trafficante Crime Family

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

stubbs
Straightened out

Re: Trafficante Crime Family

Post by stubbs »

sdeitche wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 am
Yes on Ligamarri, Raffa and LoScalzo were at his son Pietro's wedding.

Raffa is a Sicilian so his ties were really made through South Florida and the Sicilians down there (John Galatolo, GIuseppe ROmano, et.c) He was close to Sam Decavalcante and some of his guys in S. FL. But not a surprise there since they have the strong Sicilian connection.
You said a few years back that Galatolo wrote you from prison. Why did he write you and what was he writing about?

The Federal BOP page says a John Galatolo was released in May 2020 and is 75 years old, which seems to match the articles from 1990 when he got busted, referring to him being 44 in early ‘90. So I assume it’s the same guy and he got thirty years.

He seemed to have been well connected with the Corleonesi faction back in Sicily but may have been from Palermo. Is that correct?

interesting article from 1990 on him from the NY Times. Dude seemed to be close to the Cali cartel, moving coke from Colombia to Sicily.

I also found this super detailed 28 page long PDF about the South American cartel connections to Italy and Sicily. Galatolo is mentioned, as are the Caurana-Cuntreras.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

stubbs wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:16 pm

Raffa is a Sicilian so his ties were really made through South Florida and the Sicilians down there (John Galatolo, GIuseppe ROmano, et.c) He was close to Sam Decavalcante and some of his guys in S. FL. But not a surprise there since they have the strong Sicilian connection.
You said a few years back that Galatolo wrote you from prison. Why did he write you and what was he writing about?

The Federal BOP page says a John Galatolo was released in May 2020 and is 75 years old, which seems to match the articles from 1990 when he got busted, referring to him being 44 in early ‘90. So I assume it’s the same guy and he got thirty years.

He seemed to have been well connected with the Corleonesi faction back in Sicily but may have been from Palermo. Is that correct?

interesting article from 1990 on him from the NY Times. Dude seemed to be close to the Cali cartel, moving coke from Colombia to Sicily.

I also found this super detailed 28 page long PDF about the South American cartel connections to Italy and Sicily. Galatolo is mentioned, as are the Caurana-Cuntreras.
I'll dig them out and scan them. Need to find them first, but I know I didnt get rid of them. Was mainly how he was innocent from what i recall.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Rocco wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:53 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:46 pm
Rocco wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm I have always drawn comparisons to the Trafficante family and the LCN family in New Orleans. Mostly because they were both so far off the beaten path from really any LCN families of the north. And I also think they were much different then the little families out in Denver or Dallas back in the day. Mostly because they were located so far deep in America's' south. And because of that they both died off I believe . And I can totally understand people wanting to believe that there are both active families in Tampa and NO. But there is no organized LCN family in either city...and hasn't been for sometime.
Fortunately, I don't think there's anyone here that think there are still families in Tampa or New Orleans. We've come a ways since the RD forum circa 2006.
:lol: :lol: we still have a few hopefuls that there are families in these cities.. I just tell everyone that John Alite took over the Trafficante family LMAO !
Tampa is unique in the fact that there entire top leadership from the 90s is basically still alive and out of jail. Also, the actual power base in Tampa was basically untouched from law enforcement. Raffa is obviously a different story but even with them, most of them are out of jail. Those other families you mentioned were destroyed by indictments. Tampa no. It sounds like they just went legit.
mlm0047
Straightened out

Post by mlm0047 »

Plenty of book making and old school connected people in Tampa if you know where to look
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Patrickgold wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:31 pm
Rocco wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:53 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:46 pm
Rocco wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm I have always drawn comparisons to the Trafficante family and the LCN family in New Orleans. Mostly because they were both so far off the beaten path from really any LCN families of the north. And I also think they were much different then the little families out in Denver or Dallas back in the day. Mostly because they were located so far deep in America's' south. And because of that they both died off I believe . And I can totally understand people wanting to believe that there are both active families in Tampa and NO. But there is no organized LCN family in either city...and hasn't been for sometime.
Fortunately, I don't think there's anyone here that think there are still families in Tampa or New Orleans. We've come a ways since the RD forum circa 2006.
:lol: :lol: we still have a few hopefuls that there are families in these cities.. I just tell everyone that John Alite took over the Trafficante family LMAO !
Tampa is unique in the fact that there entire top leadership from the 90s is basically still alive and out of jail. Also, the actual power base in Tampa was basically untouched from law enforcement. Raffa is obviously a different story but even with them, most of them are out of jail. Those other families you mentioned were destroyed by indictments. Tampa no. It sounds like they just went legit.
Yep legit, old age/retirement and death.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

mlm0047 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:06 pm Plenty of book making and old school connected people in Tampa if you know where to look
Yeah many 3rd and 4th generation around- I've met some on my tours. Esp in property a few years ago in Ybor before Darryl Shaw began buying everything up.

And sure there's still bookmaking. As an aside, I Imagine when sports betting finally gets legalized here, the Hard Rock(s) will make a killing.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Didn't Frank Polizzi take Giovanni Brusca to Florida to meet with Steve Raffa while Brusca was visiting the US? Meeting the DeCavalcantes and Florida figures led Brusca to comment that he as surprised by the strong Agrigento presence in the US. Was Raffa's family from ADR like many of the other Trafficante members?

Giovanni Ligammari was from ADR and there are still Ligammaris involved in the mafia there. Not surprised he was connected to the Tampa members.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

B. wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:15 pm Didn't Frank Polizzi take Giovanni Brusca to Florida to meet with Steve Raffa while Brusca was visiting the US? Meeting the DeCavalcantes and Florida figures led Brusca to comment that he as surprised by the strong Agrigento presence in the US. Was Raffa's family from ADR like many of the other Trafficante members?

Giovanni Ligammari was from ADR and there are still Ligammaris involved in the mafia there. Not surprised he was connected to the Tampa members.
I had not heard that. Would love to find out more on the Polizzi/Raffa mtg.

I recall that Raffa was from Cianciana. So right near ADR.
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

Rocco wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:23 am
sdeitche wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:40 pm
Rocco wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am Mamone was a Jersey Genovese Associate moved to Florida after DiGilio got clipped and got Made under Raffa somehow..and I am pretty sure after DiGilio got clipped his future with the Genovese crew was over. I am not sure if friends of the his from the Gambino's vouched for him with Raffa ..I have no idea how he wound up with Raffa down there. But it certainly seemed that Raffa's crew was east coast based from the getgo and not super tight with the old timers in Tampa (that were alive back then). There whole thing is weird down there the loose net connection with Loscalzo to the Broward County Raffa crew members from up north etc. Mamone was a Jersey guy who knew allot of NY guys . So when he was down there. You had NY lucchese guys meeting him, Bonanno NY guys, Gambino's ...I mean Mamone was really the Tampa familys point man down there with guys up north once he got made down there. Raffa and Loscalzo didn't know any of these made guys that Mamone knew from NJ and NY.
I also never found out exactly how Mamone ended up with Raffa.

Mamone was made at Malio's in Tampa by one of the Deicidue brothers, forget which one - not Frank.

The ties between Raffa and LoScalzo go back to their families and Sicily. THough Raffa doesn't show up hardly at all in Tampa until the 80s and 90s, and then only barely. Both him and LoScalzo were pallbearers at the funeral of longtime Tampa member Arthur Perla in 98.
I don't know if Raffa had a connections to Giovanni Ligammari a Bonanno drug player who committed suicide with his son in NJ or the media suggested that because they both committed suicide? I am not sure if they were related or they have families ties to the same area in Sicily. All I know about Mamone was that he was an associate of Johnny D's Bayonne crew. After Johnny D got hit Mamone felt there was no place for him in that NJ Genovese Crew. Now like I said Mamone was a longtime player in NJ and he knew allot of NY guys who would visit him at his check cashing store in Broward County. But it doesn't seem like these guy from NY really had any connection to anyone in Tampa. Most NY guys don't guy near Tampa(except the Alite crew recently)..they all go to Dade, Broward and Palm Beach...because its like NY with Palm trees lol Mamone moved to Broward in 1992. His right hand man in NJ Paul 'Doc' Gaccione stayed in Jersey and went to work for Angelo Prisco. For whatever the reason Mamone did not stick around to work for Prisco...and moved in 1992. I have to imagine that since Raffa was operating in Broward that he was well known to NY guys and that's how Mamone was introducted to him ? But if you read up on this...it really doesn't seems like allot of NY guys knew Raffa? And that once Mamone was made..he actually became the point man in South Florida for the Trafficantes when it came to doing biz with NY guys. etc.

John Galatolo, GIuseppe ROmano - I never heard of them. Any more infor?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Hey Scott, you find that 90's chart I'll make a chart on it. Good stuff brother.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Philly d wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 pm
Rocco wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:22 am Mamone was a Jersey Genovese Associate moved to Florida after DiGilio got clipped and got Made under Raffa somehow..and I am pretty sure after DiGilio got clipped his future with the Genovese crew was over. I am not sure if friends of the his from the Gambino's vouched for him with Raffa ..I have no idea how he wound up with Raffa down there. But it certainly seemed that Raffa's crew was east coast based from the getgo and not super tight with the old timers in Tampa (that were alive back then). There whole thing is weird down there the loose net connection with Loscalzo to the Broward County Raffa crew members from up north etc. Mamone was a Jersey guy who knew allot of NY guys . So when he was down there. You had NY lucchese guys meeting him, Bonanno NY guys, Gambino's ...I mean Mamone was really the Tampa familys point man down there with guys up north once he got made down there. Raffa and Loscalzo didn't know any of these made guys that Mamone knew from NJ and NY.

Mamone was made at Malio's in Tampa by one of the Deicidue brothers, forget which one - not Frank.

The ties between Raffa and LoScalzo go back to their families and Sicily. THough Raffa doesn't show up hardly at all in Tampa until the 80s and 90s, and then only barely. Both him and LoScalzo were pallbearers at the funeral of longtime Tampa member Arthur Perla in 98.
I don't know if Raffa had a connections to Giovanni Ligammari a Bonanno drug player who committed suicide with his son in NJ or the media suggested that because they both committed suicide? I am not sure if they were related or they have families ties to the same area in Sicily. All I know about Mamone was that he was an associate of Johnny D's Bayonne crew. After Johnny D got hit Mamone felt there was no place for him in that NJ Genovese Crew. Now like I said Mamone was a longtime player in NJ and he knew allot of NY guys who would visit him at his check cashing store in Broward County. But it doesn't seem like these guy from NY really had any connection to anyone in Tampa. Most NY guys don't guy near Tampa(except the Alite crew recently)..they all go to Dade, Broward and Palm Beach...because its like NY with Palm trees lol Mamone moved to Broward in 1992. His right hand man in NJ Paul 'Doc' Gaccione stayed in Jersey and went to work for Angelo Prisco. For whatever the reason Mamone did not stick around to work for Prisco...and moved in 1992. I have to imagine that since Raffa was operating in Broward that he was well known to NY guys and that's how Mamone was introducted to him ? But if you read up on this...it really doesn't seems like allot of NY guys knew Raffa? And that once Mamone was made..he actually became the point man in South Florida for the Trafficantes when it came to doing biz with NY guys. etc.

Sicilians involved in drug trafficking. Based in Florida in the early 1980s. Romano was killed, along with Giuseppe Tramontana, in Feb 1983. Cops found both thier bodies in the trunk of a car in Dania. Tramonatana and Romano were tied to Thomas Buscetta.

Galatolo was a liason with Colombian cartels.He was arrested in early 90s and imprisoned for drug trafficking. He was reently released.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:15 pm Hey Scott, you find that 90's chart I'll make a chart on it. Good stuff brother.
Yes, sorry. put it on back burner and forgot. Will look this week.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Appreciate your work with Tampa, Scott.

Was there ever a known or suspected member CI in Tampa?
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

sdeitche wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:18 am
Philly d wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Sicilians involved in drug trafficking. Based in Florida in the early 1980s. Romano was killed, along with Giuseppe Tramontana, in Feb 1983. Cops found both thier bodies in the trunk of a car in Dania. Tramonatana and Romano were tied to Thomas Buscetta.

Galatolo was a liason with Colombian cartels.He was arrested in early 90s and imprisoned for drug trafficking. He was reently released.
Thanks.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

B. wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:53 pm Appreciate your work with Tampa, Scott.

Was there ever a known or suspected member CI in Tampa?
Good question. I know for a fact there were three informants in the late 80s/early 90s, two tangential associates, and one-long-time associate. I know this because I know the FDLE agent that worked them (they were not federal informants). The information they provided was not particularly damming and the long-time associate mainly just mused about the old days (though he did inadvertently clear up some info about the Era of BLood and who did the killings).

There was also an informant in the late 90s/2000 that provided some good material but it did not lead to any cases (I have his information. good stuff on official corruption, and a little on LoScalzo and company at that time.

However, after reading Edward Velin's informant profiles, I'm curious if there was ever a close associate in Tampa who provide information in the 1960s. When I'm done with my new book early next year I may take some time to try and parse that out. I do not think any of the major made guys were informants, but there may be some associates.