Cefalu probe?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

TommyGambino
Full Patched

Re: Cefalu probe?

Post by TommyGambino »

bert wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:31 am 8 years of looking into him, and nothing. Maybe (and I know this is inconceivable for some) he has not been acting boss, or had stayed with legit businesses. How many people could go through 8 years of FBI and police investigations and come out clean?
Or he's just insulated himself well with a panel and admin full of very lowkey, capable guys.
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

TommyGambino wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:52 pm
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:40 pm Riccardo Cefalu, my opinion was the actual power in Pat Contes crew..... felice info said it was common knowledge Conte bought his button....
He might have, but he was a powerhouse for decades, riccardo cefalu has only been mentioned from that heroin bust about 50 years ago, if he was the power in that crew he would have been made captain, not his nephew, don't understand that thinking at all, nothing suggests Riccardo was a powerful member
Good point & I understand where you are coming from but there have been a few very smart / wealthy soldiers that passed up Capo.

Joe Ponte is basically a ghost despite being one the most successful racketeers (garbage was likely a top 3 biz ). That $ was funneled into a possible $1B+ NYC / NJ real estate portfolio. I wish someone did a look into Ponte as he might be worthy of top gangster of all time when considering jail time/ notoriety. Some legit but very interesting $100m type biz deals with Ponte land , Sam Chang develop / investor and west side outfit as GC that still goes on today. I’m sure it’s legit but still bringing in some $ ( but more so real power ) and down right impressive IMO these guys are still arranging multiple Manhattan sky scraper deals regularly. Not to mention all other boroughs and Hudson county NJ

Not sure his wealth but I believe the Old Man Debello ( I think ?) in that WS crip murder for hire bust with Bonelli passed up Capo job and perhaps Peter Red son got it? Btw that social club is still very active so I wouldn’t be shocked if his son is a key player in the family. Seaport construction is in boom and like I said they have a strong physical presence in LES.

Chang is retiring this year so it will be very interesting how/ if the west side adapts as it seem he was their $ man that allowed WS GCs to get a good rep and build out their business
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

bert wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:31 am 8 years of looking into him, and nothing. Maybe (and I know this is inconceivable for some) he has not been acting boss, or had stayed with legit businesses. How many people could go through 8 years of FBI and police investigations and come out clean?
LE believe he's still acting boss. He's probably very isolated Cali was the same before his death.

Also look at Barney Bellomo feds have had him boss for over three years and he hasn't been hit with anything. To survive as a boss in the modern day you have to be isolated from the rest of the family and be careful with who you communicate with. This is is why I don't believe Mancuso will last on the streets as Bonanno boss. I'm betting he'll be locked up within the next year or two he's too reckless.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

JohnnyS wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 pm
LE believe he's still acting boss. He's probably very isolated Cali was the same before his death.

Also look at Barney Bellomo feds have had him boss for over three years and he hasn't been hit with anything. To survive as a boss in the modern day you have to be isolated from the rest of the family and be careful with who you communicate with. This is is why I don't believe Mancuso will last on the streets as Bonanno boss. I'm betting he'll be locked up within the next year or two he's too reckless.
Agreed on Mancuso, that family has always had a lot of rats, would be amazed if he survived 5 years
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

TommyNoto wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:36 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:40 pm Riccardo Cefalu, my opinion was the actual power in Pat Contes crew..... felice info said it was common knowledge Conte bought his button....
He might have, but he was a powerhouse for decades, riccardo cefalu has only been mentioned from that heroin bust about 50 years ago, if he was the power in that crew he would have been made captain, not his nephew, don't understand that thinking at all, nothing suggests Riccardo was a powerful member
Good point & I understand where you are coming from but there have been a few very smart / wealthy soldiers that passed up Capo.

Joe Ponte is basically a ghost despite being one the most successful racketeers (garbage was likely a top 3 biz ). That $ was funneled into a possible $1B+ NYC / NJ real estate portfolio. I wish someone did a look into Ponte as he might be worthy of top gangster of all time when considering jail time/ notoriety. Some legit but very interesting $100m type biz deals with Ponte land , Sam Chang develop / investor and west side outfit as GC that still goes on today. I’m sure it’s legit but still bringing in some $ ( but more so real power ) and down right impressive IMO these guys are still arranging multiple Manhattan sky scraper deals regularly. Not to mention all other boroughs and Hudson county NJ

Not sure his wealth but I believe the Old Man Debello ( I think ?) in that WS crip murder for hire bust with Bonelli passed up Capo job and perhaps Peter Red son got it? Btw that social club is still very active so I wouldn’t be shocked if his son is a key player in the family. Seaport construction is in boom and like I said they have a strong physical presence in LES.

Chang is retiring this year so it will be very interesting how/ if the west side adapts as it seem he was their $ man that allowed WS GCs to get a good rep and build out their business
do yourself a favor and do a google street view on the address of the social club. I guess google did a recent image update, and the picture now is hilarious. 3 guys sitting out front of the club with lawn chairs and a guy standing outside of a double parked white lexus talking to them. one of the guys was wearing track suit pants with loafers :mrgreen:

There was an article recently (i.e. within the last year) in the NY Post about Ponte's RE portfolio in regards to a divorce / inheritance or something. fucking insane. I couldn't imagine. god bless them for their foresight I guess. This was alluded to on a Soprano's episode - forget the season or even the specific episode, but Tony was talking to someone mentioning that all the guys his Dad was around were buying up property around the old waste transfer station in the city and "now, that's turned into TriBeCa" - definitely a nod to the Ponte Brothers
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

TommyGambino wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Agreed on Mancuso, that family has always had a lot of rats, would be amazed if he survived 5 years
He’ll prob get arrested for some type of parole violation. Seems like Bonannos getting arrested for violating their parole lol.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

If I remember correctly the contradicting reports about Cali becoming boss around 2015 were thanks to how low-key Cali and Cefalu were in their business dealings. The arrangement they had worked out great for both of them, although most likely Cali would've been pinched in the series of arrests from earlier this year, if he was still alive.

Barney Bellomo was first reported boss in 2014, so who knows how long he's in position. It won't surprise me if it turns out he became official the moment his supervised release expired in 2012. I think you're right about Mancuso. I envision another Lucchese situation coming to the Bonannos' administration with him in charge. Plus he was imprisoned for the better part of the last 30 years.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

newera_212 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 pm

do yourself a favor and do a google street view on the address of the social club. I guess google did a recent image update, and the picture now is hilarious. 3 guys sitting out front of the club with lawn chairs and a guy standing outside of a double parked white lexus talking to them. one of the guys was wearing track suit pants with loafers :mrgreen:

There was an article recently (i.e. within the last year) in the NY Post about Ponte's RE portfolio in regards to a divorce / inheritance or something. fucking insane. I couldn't imagine. god bless them for their foresight I guess. This was alluded to on a Soprano's episode - forget the season or even the specific episode, but Tony was talking to someone mentioning that all the guys his Dad was around were buying up property around the old waste transfer station in the city and "now, that's turned into TriBeCa" - definitely a nod to the Ponte Brothers
Interesting! I did some digging and found this article:

Family that ran famed restaurant is now feuding over fortune
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

TommyGambino wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:20 am
Or he's just insulated himself well with a panel and admin full of very lowkey, capable guys.
Agreed! Today’s mob leaders have had thirty years of seeing how not to operate, how not to be loud and flashy. Especially the Gambinos who saw all of the press with the Gottis. Also on how anyone at any time can flip and become an informant, no matter how high up their rank is... like Gravano, Massino, etc.

So guys like Cefalu know to keep quiet and only talk to a few people. He doesn’t need to meet with every captain once a week like Gotti, just communicate with a few guys to deliver his orders.

And I’m sure Cefalu’s closest people are are Sicilians who he’s been close with for 3-4 decades or longer. So there’s much more trust there. Verses Gotti and Gravano barely knowing each other before the early 80s as Gotti was from Queens and Sammy was from Brooklyn.

Then don’t forget law enforcement has shifted resources away from LCN, so there’s far less FBI agents investigating these guys.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

stubbs wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:02 am

Interesting! I did some digging and found this article:

Family that ran famed restaurant is now feuding over fortune
I'm sure there was a thread on this...... family feud right? An ex husband or something?
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

eboli wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:44 am

If I remember correctly the contradicting reports about Cali becoming boss around 2015 were thanks to how low-key Cali and Cefalu were in their business dealings. The arrangement they had worked out great for both of them, although most likely Cali would've been pinched in the series of arrests from earlier this year, if he was still alive.

Barney Bellomo was first reported boss in 2014, so who knows how long he's in position. It won't surprise me if it turns out he became official the moment his supervised release expired in 2012. I think you're right about Mancuso. I envision another Lucchese situation coming to the Bonannos' administration with him in charge. Plus he was imprisoned for the better part of the last 30 years.
Barney was actually first reported boss in February 2016 in Gangland, it mentions him being boss "for the last few years" by that point so i think people assumed it was since 2014 unless it was mentioned elsewhere. Actually reading it it mentions DIchiara giving information to Bellomo since 2014 so i guess that's why people assumed that. Here's the Gangland where it was first mentioned -
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1543
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Camo wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:17 am Barney was actually first reported boss in February 2016 in Gangland, it mentions him being boss "for the last few years" by that point so i think people assumed it was since 2014 unless it was mentioned elsewhere. Actually reading it it mentions DIchiara giving information to Bellomo since 2014 so i guess that's why people assumed that. Here's the Gangland where it was first mentioned -
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1543
To my knowledge the first time he was mentioned as boss was by a NY Daily News article from October 2014 and later in early 2016 Capeci's federal sources confirmed it. In June 2009 NYDN reported the rotating panel of senior members, so I guess they had some sources around that time.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

What’s the address of the club please?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Boston+matt14
Honorary Member

Post by Boston+matt14 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Try 57 Market St. New York, NY and use the street view to look around.
"Where's our Al Sharpton?" -Anthony Borgesi
StandUpGuy
Straightened out

Post by StandUpGuy »

Boston+matt14 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Try 57 Market St. New York, NY and use the street view to look around.
lmao Hahahha watching it now... with a barbeque grill on the street..