Cefalu probe?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

slimshady_007
Full Patched

Cefalu probe?

Post by slimshady_007 »

Dom Cefalu has been acting boss for 8 yrs now and there hasn’t been any news on an investigation on him or his admin. Before dom became AB the feds were arresting Gambino leaders left and right. (Jackie nose, dan marino, bobby glasses). Has Cefalu been connected to any recent criminal activity? Also, is Cefalu in poor health?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Re: Cefalu probe?

Post by TommyGambino »

Them zips are very lowkey, the feds might be finding it hard to get an informant in there, the panel running the family has obviously worked well insulating Cefalu. Would be interesting to know if they kept it in place after Gambino and Gurino died.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Cali most likely would have been picked up in the recent Sicilian bust if he was still alive.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

My view is Cefalu is isolated from the rest and lets the panel/Mannino handle the day to day operations. Gambinos have had a good run in the last decade.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

I don't think the panel is still a thing. Capeci hasn't mentioned it in his recent updates on the Gambino administration after Cali's murder. The only time he did was when he reported Guarino's death and referenced him as a panel member back in 2013.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Panels arnt part of the standard mafia structure.
They are more like creatures of mob politics.

Like Massino convening a panel to deny his underboss power.

Whenever I see a panel, I wonder WHO gave the order to form it. THATS where the power is, not the panel...My opinion
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Also, I ask myself WHY the panel was formed....
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:17 am Also, I ask myself WHY the panel was formed....
So it would be harder to track any orders from the administration. A buffer If Cefalu and Cali only had contact with the panel of guys that they absolutely trusted, then it limits their possibility of getting busted. It protects them from LE and Rats. So they give the orders to the panel and panel to the Capos. It has worked too. Did they get busted in that time period, no.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Frank wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:25 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:17 am Also, I ask myself WHY the panel was formed....
So it would be harder to track any orders from the administration. A buffer If Cefalu and Cali only had contact with the panel of guys that they absolutely trusted, then it limits their possibility of getting busted. It protects them from LE and Rats. So they give the orders to the panel and panel to the Capos. It has worked too. Did they get busted in that time period, no.

I wasnt talking about the Gambino panel specifically, more like panels in general.....

Example: There have been a few panels where they just regulate big rackets or operations, like the Windows panel, or the gas tax thing..... it's not neccesarily a function of hierarchy always......

I dont think there's been a panel since John Gambino died.... but then again, I dont know who was consigliere under Cefalu and Cali..... there could have been a panel to serve that function.....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Also, Frank, a panel can be formed as a compromise between competing factions or mobsters. Like a compromise..... Like the Genovese probably used one until a central figure like a Barney is ready to take the reigns....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

All I was saying , is there's no mafia rank called " Panel member", I think we can agree on that much...
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:45 am

I wasnt talking about the Gambino panel specifically, more like panels in general.....

Example: There have been a few panels where they just regulate big rackets or operations, like the Windows panel, or the gas tax thing..... it's not neccesarily a function of hierarchy always......

I dont think there's been a panel since John Gambino died.... but then again, I dont know who was consigliere under Cefalu and Cali..... there could have been a panel to serve that function.....
With the Gambinos there originally was a ruling panel formed after the entire administration was jailed. Now whether that panel was disbanded when Cefalu became acting boss is unclear. I believe Cali became Underboss a year after Cefalu became boss. I think he waited till his supervised release was over. So maybe that original panel continued under Cefalu, of course with a few new members due to indictments. The current info has been Vernace as consigliere during the beginning of the Cefalu era, but I've always been skeptical about that, seeing he wasn't on the streets during that time period. But all the info points to Vernace , so I accept it. Now who set up the original panel in about 2008 and had the power to do it, I don't really know. Was it Pete Gotti, Jackie or a vote of captains. Or was this pre conceived plan.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am All I was saying , is there's no mafia rank called " Panel member", I think we can agree on that much...
Sorry buddy but I don't agree with that statement at all.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Isn’t that the specific position of underboss?

To insulate the boss and convey his orders to the Capo’s?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:45 pm
Isn’t that the specific position of underboss?

To insulate the boss and convey his orders to the Capo’s?
I think the meaning of ub and consigliere is completely different to what it meant in the old days, now it seems to just be the top three guys are the admin or the boss putting in someone from a rival faction to ease tensions? I mean Paradiso is Gambino consigliere, you think he's advising Cefalu lol