Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by B. »

Joe Corbi and Joe Tamburello are confirmed in Baltimore. They were recorded meeting with Peter Maggio of Philly and it confirmed they were made members.

For Anastasia and Mangano, I noticed Mangano listed a Louis Scotto as his mailing contact on his 1920 passport application. Not sure the relation to the other Scottos but doesn't seem like a coincidence.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Is there anyone that can assist me with photos of these guys? I went through the FBN book and IG and could use some help if anyone is able.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm Is there anyone that can assist me with photos of these guys? I went through the FBN book and IG and could use some help if anyone is able.
I think I can help you. I don’t know if you remember me but I sent you pictures before that you put on a chart you were working on and credited me on it. Pm me and we can talk.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

MichaelGiovanni wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:10 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 pm Is there anyone that can assist me with photos of these guys? I went through the FBN book and IG and could use some help if anyone is able.
I think I can help you. I don’t know if you remember me but I sent you pictures before that you put on a chart you were working on and credited me on it. Pm me and we can talk.
Yeah, I remember you. Don't remember which chart though. I'll DM you. I appreciate it.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

2 Graphs. 1 - Where people lived. 2 - Origins. This is subject to slightly change. But as we can see about 40% of the membership was in Brooklyn and 55% were Sicilian or of Sicilian Origin with 45% being non-Sicilian. This info will be displayed in some form on the chart, once everything is finalized.
stats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

gammisc.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

And we're getting there, even if we can't procure most of the photos for this era it's a good compilation of research all around-
gamsmall.jpg
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

What sources are there that point to a pete sorce and the ferrigno as 1960's members?
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Iacovetti
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Awesome. Thank you, Eline!

I think I'm going to take the suspected members out of the main bunch and place them in their own section. I'll include more Baltimore guys in that section.

With that in mind, on pinterest I see alot of older photos with names I never heard before listed as Gambino members. Is that liberal guesswork like wikipedia? Just curious.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Can't trust pinterest on its own.

No idea where Sorce comes in here. The Sorces were important mafia members in Palermo and the FBN had him living in Milan.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I asked Michael yesterday about "Sciaccatani" how Gentile used the term and he never heard that applied to everyone from Agrigento, just those from Sciacca citta itself. He referred to his own experience growing up in Bensonhurst where there was the Porto Empedocles club, Sciacca club, etc. He also noted that this dynamic started to disappear in the 70s.

Also yes, he said Gotti Sr had a good understanding of these compaesanismo dynamics, Gravano did not.

For the chart's sake, I won't be trying to divide people into groups, I'll just list their origins. For instance: Frankie Loc won't be
"Palermitano (Baucina, Palermo)", it'll instead say "Origins: Baucina, Palermo, Sicilia." I could label him Baucinese but I start that and everyone from every town will get their own demonym which is just redundant.

But then, let's jump to the Campania region which includes the cities and provinces of Napoli, Avellino, Caserta and Salerno, Benevento. It appears that everyone from the Campania region is referred to as Napolitan. I've never heard them break it down further but then I'm not from New York. But is why "Sciaccatani" made sense when Gentile used it for the same reason people from Salerno or Avellino were lumped under "Napolitan," but that appears not to be the case.

Stepping out of the Mafia and just looking at it objectively and referring to Frank- He's Sicilian (region), he's Palermitan (Province), he's Baucinese (commune) depending on how much you want to break it down. Among Sicilians, Baucinese likely came up; among Italians, Sicilian might have been used, and among Americans, he was likely classified as Italian. Pretty straight forward.

Making this chart I have to be careful not to misconstrue or misrepresent things. The last thing I want to do is classify Salernitans as their own group and then someone sees that and concludes "Gotti had to get the support of the Napolitan and Salernitan factions" when the latter didn't technically exist apart from those from Napoli.

There has to be more than a few people reading this thinking- who fucking cares but believe me when I say it does. And even though Mike claims this began dying out in the 70's into the 80's we see the spirit of it continuing on when Pennisi talks about forming a "Brooklyn crew" of members who are from there but live in Staten Island, that's the same thing that happened with people from this town or that town but living in NYC 100 years ago.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Listened to that Ruggiano Jr. interview with Franzese last night and it was great. Says his family and John Gotti's families come from the same town in Naples, Sant'Agata de' Goti, so the families were close. You're not crazy for thinking even the mainlanders in the Gambino Family had their own spirit of comradery even if it wasn't that relevant to daily life. The Gottis and Ruggianos were at least aware of it and Ruggiano Jr. says Gotti was really good to him, bought him a car to encourage him to kick his drug habit.

If you were making a 1931 chart it'd make sense to have a Sciacchitani faction given Gentile explicitly ID'd it but for later decades just saying hometown is good. Makes sense MD said it was dying off in the 1970s given Americanization. Yet look what Felice shared about the "Torrettesi" faction having that identity today, shows you all it takes is the right circumstance.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Gambino 1870-2014

Post by Angelo Santino »

bronx wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:25 pm paul and robber debella were brothers
So it wasnt Paul AKA Robbie? I had Paul with a brother Ignazio. Could Ignazio been Robbie or was there a 3rd brother?

Ignazio DiBella 2/12/1922 NYC 171 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11231 Cobble Hill Brooklyn Antonio Francesco Bella Messina
Paul DiBella Robbie 12/2/1917 NYC 171 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11231 Cobble Hill Brooklyn Antonio DiBella Messina

Thanks.
bronx
Full Patched

Re: Gambino 1870-2014

Post by bronx »

def brothers, paul was shopsteward for local 23 for decades, robbie was shylock forever had a place in pompano fl..went back and forth a lot, robbie was at pauls club all the time . brother paul on sundays. pretty sure with jimmy brown but not 100 percent