Gambino 1870-2014

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bronx
Full Patched

Re: Gambino 1870-2014

Post by bronx »

paul and robber debella were brothers
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:09 pm B, I also appreciate your input. We tend to agree on most things, but every now and then we don't. Like I wrote earlier, I can see your point that it's very possible that the SS misinterpreted connections and may have gotten this wrong. But I don't see being Messianese as a hindrance or even a big deal considering the historic context. We know very little about this era, but I think the general principle that all Sicilians are equal holds true. Maybe Taranto wouldn't have been able to climb the ladder if he stayed in Messina - but maybe he joined in Tunis and developed a reputation as a leader there. There are many possibilities, but unfortunately we will probably never have all the answers we're looking for.
All Sicilians would be one way, another way would be "all members," which is why there was such a high bar for entry, why inquiries were made to hometowns and associates. Aside from a background check, the inquiry also serves to make sure there's no existing issues between a member with the prospect. You make someone without consulting a member who turns out hate him for sleeping with his wife that could lead to some problems down the road.

Going back to Taranto, maybe he was born in Palermo and moved to Messina, maybe it was vice versa and he joined Passo di Rigano, maybe he joined in prison. We dont know the circumstances enough to speculate further. I also dont see his Messinese origins as something that would prevent him becoming boss if hes a member.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:35 am Amazing. They all have "the look", no question about that.
Let's do a chart on that company, aside from the members, if we could include history on it, founders, holders etc would be cool.

The game charts are 90% done. Just need to add photos and do some final touches.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:51 am
Antiliar wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:09 pm B, I also appreciate your input. We tend to agree on most things, but every now and then we don't. Like I wrote earlier, I can see your point that it's very possible that the SS misinterpreted connections and may have gotten this wrong. But I don't see being Messianese as a hindrance or even a big deal considering the historic context. We know very little about this era, but I think the general principle that all Sicilians are equal holds true. Maybe Taranto wouldn't have been able to climb the ladder if he stayed in Messina - but maybe he joined in Tunis and developed a reputation as a leader there. There are many possibilities, but unfortunately we will probably never have all the answers we're looking for.
All Sicilians would be one way, another way would be "all members," which is why there was such a high bar for entry, why inquiries were made to hometowns and associates. Aside from a background check, the inquiry also serves to make sure there's no existing issues between a member with the prospect. You make someone without consulting a member who turns out hate him for sleeping with his wife that could lead to some problems down the road.

Going back to Taranto, maybe he was born in Palermo and moved to Messina, maybe it was vice versa and he joined Passo di Rigano, maybe he joined in prison. We dont know the circumstances enough to speculate further. I also dont see his Messinese origins as something that would prevent him becoming boss if hes a member.
Nicola Taranto's parents were Francesco Taranto and Maria Monte. He was born in "Funiti," which is not the correct spelling. It could be Furci Siculo or Furnari or Fondachelli-Fantina in the province of Messina. Unfortunately a lot of years are missing in the Messina birth records.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Cheech wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:03 pm https://www.marroccos.com/obituaries/Jo ... !/Obituary

is this the gambino memeber?
I think it is. Good find.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:05 am Salvatore Chiri's earlier Bronx home closely matches the description given by Bill Bonanno, though if I remember right the exact location is off. There is a thread buried on here somewhere where we discussed it. Chiri was residing in NJ by the time of the supposed Commission meeting, but it's possible he still owned the Bronx property. I'm of the opinion that Chiri and Chirico are the same person though it's not a slam dunk.
Do you recall what the address for this home was? The Salvatore Chiri (born 1888-1889) that Antiliar mentioned, IIRC, lived around 1930 at an address on Webb Ave in the Kingsbridge Heights section of the West Bronx, which couldn't be more different than the East Bronx. One thing I noted is that in "The Last Testament..." Bill Bonanno described the "Chirico" property as in Pelham Bay and overlooking "the bay". Despite its name, the Pelham Bay neighborhood proper isn't actually on the waterfront itself, however. Given the description (paraphrasing) of being on the waterfront on a dead-end street in an area filled with large homes built in the past by wealthy residents, I'm pretty sure this was actually Country Club (maybe Lucerne St?). I tried looking for a thread on the forum where the location of Chiri's home was discussed but didn't see it.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:33 pm
B. wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:05 am Salvatore Chiri's earlier Bronx home closely matches the description given by Bill Bonanno, though if I remember right the exact location is off. There is a thread buried on here somewhere where we discussed it. Chiri was residing in NJ by the time of the supposed Commission meeting, but it's possible he still owned the Bronx property. I'm of the opinion that Chiri and Chirico are the same person though it's not a slam dunk.
Do you recall what the address for this home was? The Salvatore Chiri (born 1888-1889) that Antiliar mentioned, IIRC, lived around 1930 at an address on Webb Ave in the Kingsbridge Heights section of the West Bronx, which couldn't be more different than the East Bronx. One thing I noted is that in "The Last Testament..." Bill Bonanno described the "Chirico" property as in Pelham Bay and overlooking "the bay". Despite its name, the Pelham Bay neighborhood proper isn't actually on the waterfront itself, however. Given the description (paraphrasing) of being on the waterfront on a dead-end street in an area filled with large homes built in the past by wealthy residents, I'm pretty sure this was actually Country Club (maybe Lucerne St?). I tried looking for a thread on the forum where the location of Chiri's home was discussed but didn't see it.
Yeah, that thread is gone. Maybe someone else knows why it was removed. The FBI in this index of names indicates that as far as they were concerned they were two different people: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... ch=chirico

I don't know if they were two different people or the same. I noticed that when Chiri arrived he used the surname Chirico instead of Chiri, although Palermo birth records indicate he was born Chiri. Maybe it was a transcription error on the passenger manifest. Also noted that Chiri and Chirico seemed to live in different parts of the Bronx. Yet when I tried to find a Salvatore Chirico who matched what was written about him there were zero positive results. A Sylvestro Chirico came close, and Toto could also be short for Sylvestro. But we don't have enough information to come to any definitive conclusions.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:09 pm
PolackTony wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:33 pm
Yeah, that thread is gone. Maybe someone else knows why it was removed. The FBI in this index of names indicates that as far as they were concerned they were two different people: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... ch=chirico

I don't know if they were two different people or the same. I noticed that when Chiri arrived he used the surname Chirico instead of Chiri, although Palermo birth records indicate he was born Chiri. Maybe it was a transcription error on the passenger manifest. Also noted that Chiri and Chirico seemed to live in different parts of the Bronx. Yet when I tried to find a Salvatore Chirico who matched what was written about him there were zero positive results. A Sylvestro Chirico came close, and Toto could also be short for Sylvestro. But we don't have enough information to come to any definitive conclusions.
Assuming that the guy lived in Country Club back then, I may know some old-timers who might have known who he was. I'll see if anyone recognizes the name. The Silvestro Chirico you are referring to is I assume the one who was Barese and worked on Arthur Ave. This guy around 1940 at least lived on Garfield St in Van Nest, which is still far from being on the waterfront, though you never know if there were other properties, of course.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

That would be great. Would love to have this mystery solved.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:11 pm That would be great. Would love to have this mystery solved.
The guy who I bet would really know is unfortunately deceased, but some of his family may at least recognize the name.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

We covered the Taranto/Messina possibilities here and on the phone the other night, so let's set it aside until new details on him can be found.

I am glad we're looking into Messina's history with the Family more, as that's one of the angles I wanted to hit on.
Chris Christie wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:22 pm 1960's Gambino Messinese:

joseph Casablanca 9/19/1911 NYC 217 E 107th St, New York, NY 10029 East Harlem Manhattan Vincent Limina
vincent Casablanca 9/29/1913 NYC 180 E 104th St, New York, NY 10029 East Harlem Manhattan John Limina
Cosmo FRANCO 10/19/1907 NYC 253 W 16th St, New York, NY 10011 Chelsea Manhattan Carmelo Franco Santo Stefano di Camastra, Messina, Sicilia
Anthony Granza 3/25/1915 Oneida, Madison, New York, USA 2027 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10029 East Harlem Manhattan Giuseppe (Joseph) Granza San Fratello, Messina, Sicilia
Anthony Zangoglia 4/16/1924 300 E 107th St, New York, NY 10029 East Harlem Manhattan "Anthony Zangagla " San Fratello, Messina
Carmelo BIONDO Charles 1/22/1914 NYC 2418 Beaumont Ave, Bronx, NY 10458 Belmont Bronx Sebastano Barcellona Pozza di Golfo
John Joseph Biondo 4/10/1912 NYC 109-99 64th Rd, Forest Hills, NY 11375 Forrest Hills Long Island Sebastano Barcellona Pozza di Golfo
John Casablanca 7/30/1909 NYC 244 E 106th St, New York, NY 10029 East Harlem Manhattan Vincent Limina
Ignazio DiBella 2/12/1922 NYC 171 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11231 Cobble Hill Brooklyn Antonio Francesco Bella Messina
Paul DiBella Robbie 12/2/1917 NYC 171 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11231 Cobble Hill Brooklyn Antonio DiBella Messina
Salvatore Guarnieri 10/29/1915 NYC 2013 Stillwell Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11223 Gravesend Brooklyn Gaetano
Edward Bonica 4/22/1924 NYC 30 Warren St, Brooklyn, NY 11201 Columbia St Waterfont Brooklyn Giuseppe Bonica Lipari, Messina
Great list. Would be great if we could find any names born pre-1900s.

A name to look for is Restuccia:

- Francesco Restuccia (b. 1887) from Messina was a mafia-linked name (member/associate?) in NYC suspected of drug trafficking with Gambino member Eduardo Aronica from Canicatti.
- 1920s mafia figure in Philly was Andrea Restuccia from Messina, business partner of boss Sabella and said to be influential.
- Another Francesco Restuccia was a Messinese lawyer who had a temporary alliance w/ mafia politicians like Calogero Vizzini after WWII. The mafia fell out with Restuccia and other leftists. Restuccia served prison time afterward apparently in relation to politics, not sure what else is out there about him.

--------------------------------------

Tony -- Chiri's earlier home was on a dead end and overlooked the bay, though it wasn't Pelham. The description of the house/setting matched Bill's memory in my opinion. Will let you know if I dig up the address again.

What's interesting about Chiri is Antiliar found he was from Sferracavallo, but unlike Frank Scalise (whose clan was linked to Sferracavallo area) Gentile said Chiri/Chirico was one of the men who refused to turn on Masseria. Gentile also said one of the Gambino shooters who killed Terry Burns was from Sferracavallo but doesn't name the guy.

Scalise was killed by Anastasia, but don't think I've seen mention of Chiri being at odds with Anastasia which is interesting given he was underboss during the same period. A lot of missing details but seems Chiri wasn't always politically aligned with his paesani.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Also, I noticed the Taranto name shows up frequently on the islands north of Messina but also in Ustica. I see one of the later Gambino Messinese had family from Lipari, one of the islands. Antiliar knows a lot about Ustica's ties to N.American mafia, but that's another example of an unlikely place (though Palermo-linked) in mafia history.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:50 am Tony -- Chiri's earlier home was on a dead end and overlooked the bay, though it wasn't Pelham. The description of the house/setting matched Bill's memory in my opinion. Will let you know if I dig up the address again.

What's interesting about Chiri is Antiliar found he was from Sferracavallo, but unlike Frank Scalise (whose clan was linked to Sferracavallo area) Gentile said Chiri/Chirico was one of the men who refused to turn on Masseria. Gentile also said one of the Gambino shooters who killed Terry Burns was from Sferracavallo but doesn't name the guy.

Scalise was killed by Anastasia, but don't think I've seen mention of Chiri being at odds with Anastasia which is interesting given he was underboss during the same period. A lot of missing details but seems Chiri wasn't always politically aligned with his paesani.
Technically, apart from a bit of City Island, no house in the Bronx overlooks Pelham Bay (Pelham Bay itself is basically Orchard Beach). The only other “bay” (scare quotes because as with Pelham it’s technically not a bay) in the Bronx is Eastchester Bay, which is between City Island and Country Club/Throggs Neck. Let me know if you find the address I’d be very keen to know.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:54 am Also, I noticed the Taranto name shows up frequently on the islands north of Messina but also in Ustica. I see one of the later Gambino Messinese had family from Lipari, one of the islands. Antiliar knows a lot about Ustica's ties to N.American mafia, but that's another example of an unlikely place (though Palermo-linked) in mafia history.
I noticed this also. Taranto seems to have been a common surname in the Aeolian Islands which constitute the comune of Lipari which is of course part of Messina province. There were a number of Taranto from the Aeolians who emigrated to NYC but when I looked into it I wasn’t able to link any of them to Nicola.