What families are still active?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: What families are still active?

Post by TommyNoto »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:59 am
Nick Prango wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:42 am
joeycigars wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:26 pm montreal and toronto
The dudes in Canada kill each other like it's still the 1980s. More rackets to exploit in Canada.Canadian Italian Mafia are the top of the food chain. Money makers
The rackets are the same. The difference is Canadian law and law enforcement is still playing catch up. Canada is a liberal country and their laws are weak. They don't have RICO and their law enforcement doesn't yet have the in-house intel on organized crime the FBI and other agencies do in the U.S.
In fairness to Canada , OC never reached the heights there compared to the US so there isn’t a need for them to restructure their laws.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

TommyNoto wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:16 pm But yeah crime is way down since the 70/80/90s. We live in such a safer environment today vs old days - 1950s level. LE has their faults but clearly they have improved their trade.

The skyrocketing sale of guns, the plethora of security cameras in homes and businesses and general home security systems and people fleeing the cities in droves paints a very different picture.

On illegals - Texas just did a study where native born are 2x more likely to be arrested for violent crimes, 2.5 x for drug offenses and 4x for property crime . The gap was so noteable that the CATO institute is expanding the study to all 50 states now.

Yeah but who are they classifying as "native born"?

Immigration has its costs and downsides but a weaker economy and higher crime aren’t them.

And yet Americans keep getting poorer and poorer and our cities get more unlivable as more immigrants flood in. Must be a coincidence. Commiefornia also has the most immigrants (legal and illegal) in the country and they are doing just great aren't they?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

TommyNoto wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:16 pm
TallGuy19 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:01 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:43 pm
TallGuy19 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:23 pm
scagghiuni wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:49 am
Wiseguy wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:59 am
Nick Prango wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:42 am
joeycigars wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:26 pm montreal and toronto
The dudes in Canada kill each other like it's still the 1980s. More rackets to exploit in Canada.Canadian Italian Mafia are the top of the food chain. Money makers
The rackets are the same. The difference is Canadian law and law enforcement is still playing catch up. Canada is a liberal country and their laws are weak. They don't have RICO and their law enforcement doesn't yet have the in-house intel on organized crime the FBI and other agencies do in the U.S.
I wonder why although hard laws and rico united states still have a high murder rate
Poverty, racial disparities, lack of education, income inequality, and extremely loose gun laws all contribute to high rates of violent crime in America.

All of which existed in previous generations but we didn't see the same levels of violent crime. So obviously something else is at work here.

Pogo
Violent crime rates in the U.S. have consistently decreased over the last thirty years, and studies have shown that increases in illegal immigration have little to no effect on violent crime rates.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2019 ... -and-crime

Technology and better policing have had a big effect IMO as it’s just harder to commit violent acts. Standards of living have been improving for many as well .

But yeah crime is way down since the 70/80/90s. We live in such a safer environment today vs old days - 1950s level. LE has their faults but clearly they have improved their trade.

On illegals - Texas just did a study where native born are 2x more likely to be arrested for violent crimes, 2.5 x for drug offenses and 4x for property crime . The gap was so noteable that the CATO institute is expanding the study to all 50 states now.

Latin American immigration in the 80s - early 2000s was a big reason for explosive GDP growth in the 90s/ early 2000s. It’s easy for them to come over as Corp America wants them here and always have. Every 1 immigrant adds 1.15 to GDP

Low GDP growth this decade is largely due to no population growth. Immigration has its costs and downsides but a weaker economy and higher crime aren’t them.
The idea that immigrants come here to commit crime is ridiculous. If they wanted to be murderers or drug dealers, they would have stayed in South/Central America and joined a drug cartel—which is exactly what most of them are fleeing from.

Every immigrant that I have ever known—legal or otherwise—was extremely hard working and thankful to be in this country.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:25 pmThe idea that immigrants come here to commit crime is ridiculous. If they wanted to be murderers or drug dealers, they would have stayed in South/Central America and joined a drug cartel—which is exactly what most of them are fleeing from.

Every immigrant that I have ever known—legal or otherwise—was extremely hard working and thankful to be in this country.
Most do come here for a better life, though even there one can get into the debate about coming here legally or illegally.

But amongst those immigrants are ones who do come intending to commit crime. To think otherwise is just naive.
All roads lead to New York.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:40 pm
TallGuy19 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:25 pmThe idea that immigrants come here to commit crime is ridiculous. If they wanted to be murderers or drug dealers, they would have stayed in South/Central America and joined a drug cartel—which is exactly what most of them are fleeing from.

Most do come here for a better life, though even there one can get into the debate about coming here legally or illegally.

But amongst those immigrants are ones who do come intending to commit crime. To think otherwise is just naive.

A check through the FBI or any state and big city most wanted list quickly puts to rest that notion.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Chopper
Straightened out

Post by Chopper »

Rat wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:41 pm The NY 5
Jersey
Chicago
New England
Philly

Then people debate Buffalo and Detroit
I think Chicago and New Engeland are gone already or on the way out in a big way. Philly, however, is a different story imo. That family has been taking huge hits for the last 30 years, yet, they are by far the most active and resilient family outside NY.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 2040, American LCN consists of the NY 5 and Philly.
"Do you think Ralph is a little weird about women?"

"I don't know Ton'… I mean, he beat one to death"
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

Chopper wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:55 pm
Jersey
Chicago
New England
Philly

I think Chicago and New Engeland are gone already or on the way out in a big way. Philly, however, is a different story imo. That family has been taking huge hits for the last 30 years, yet, they are by far the most active and resilient family outside NY.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 2040, American LCN consists of the NY 5 and Philly.
I think the reason Philly seems so much more active than the other small families is that they have reporters that basically cover them 24/7 which other small families don’t have
JoeCamel
Straightened out

Post by JoeCamel »

ThAts very true, fanboy reporters chase them and even do the mob talk weB tev show about them
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

At what point do they just consolidate? Just one family that covers the entire country, yet with 5 factions across NYC and others in Phily, Chicago, etc. Back to the Masseria days. Full circle. What it started as.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:02 pm

At what point do they just consolidate? Just one family that covers the entire country, yet with 5 factions across NYC and others in Phily, Chicago, etc. Back to the Masseria days. Full circle. What it started as.
Consolidation between cities won't happen. The rest will die out leaving the Mafia only within the extended NY metropolitan area. Now, theoretically speaking, I think the NY families consolidating way down the road would more of a possibility. But just as possible would be the weakest of those fading out first leaving less than five.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Rat wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:30 pm
Jersey
Chicago
New England
Philly

I think the reason Philly seems so much more active than the other small families is that they have reporters that basically cover them 24/7 which other small families don’t have

That certainly plays a part in how they are perceived but even if GS and DS were not covering them we have about a dozen Philly related indictments just in the last 5 years. By far that is the most out of any group outside of the NY five,

Pogo
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Let's say cities like Philly and chi die out but you have guys there that still know the ropes they just need the muscle. Why wouldn't they consolidate with someone like Barney? Works for Barney too because again they know the back alleys and have the personal face to face connections. No point in sending NY guys just let the remaining Chicago, Philly guys run their cities and kick up to NY. Win/win
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
JoeCamel
Straightened out

Post by JoeCamel »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:09 pm Let's say cities like Philly and chi die out but you have guys there that still know the ropes they just need the muscle. Why wouldn't they consolidate with someone like Barney? Works for Barney too because again they know the back alleys and have the personal face to face connections. No point in sending NY guys just let the remaining Chicago, Philly guys run their cities and kick up to NY. Win/win
This.
I wouldn’t be surprised if this already goes on a lot more then we are aware. Just was talking about it on LA thread. Seems to be any nationwide LCN activity is Probably this nowadays.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Timmoffat wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:05 pm
Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:09 pm Let's say cities like Philly and chi die out but you have guys there that still know the ropes they just need the muscle. Why wouldn't they consolidate with someone like Barney? Works for Barney too because again they know the back alleys and have the personal face to face connections. No point in sending NY guys just let the remaining Chicago, Philly guys run their cities and kick up to NY. Win/win
This.
I wouldn’t be surprised if this already goes on a lot more then we are aware. Just was talking about it on LA thread. Seems to be any nationwide LCN activity is Probably this nowadays.
In LCN terms, Chicago is a world away at this point. NY doesn't really have any dealings with Chicago now, much less down the road when the Outfit is completely gone. You don't see the NY families making those arrangements in closer cities with no family left. They're not going to look 800 miles to the west.

Theoretically speaking, Philadelphia would be the most likely city outside of the NY metro area to do that. Just a couple hours to the south. But by then, I think the NY families will just be trying to maintain what they have in their own town.
JoeCamel
Straightened out

Post by JoeCamel »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:58 pm
Timmoffat wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:05 pm I
This.
In LCN terms, Chicago is a world away at this point. NY doesn't really have any dealings with Chicago now, much less down the road when the Outfit is completely gone. You don't see the NY families making those arrangements in closer cities with no family left. They're not going to look 800 miles to the west.

Theoretically speaking, Philadelphia would be the most likely city outside of the NY metro area to do that. Just a couple hours to the south. But by then, I think the NY families will just be trying to maintain what they have in their own town.
You might be right. I guess the question is how far would they be willing to go and how much of it maintains the same network and organization. How loosely does it connect before some LCN guy lines his pockets. Historically they always stuck to the northeast and they will always be in the northeast. I guess I can buy into it. Anything in other cities anyway will just be a crew member kicking up here or there.