Most low-key mob boss today?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Frank
Full Patched

Re: Most low-key mob boss today?

Post by Frank »

Cefalu is pretty low key too
Momo
Straightened out

Post by Momo »

AntComello wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 am You gotta respect Barney guys a fuckin legend and still relatively young.
He was made at 18 years old, right?
“It’s easy to kill somebody,” - Joey Merlino
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Mete wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:16 am
AntComello wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 am You gotta respect Barney guys a fuckin legend and still relatively young.
He was made at 18 years old, right?
Try reading the thread.
MSFRD
Straightened out

Post by MSFRD »

Does make you wonder how the Genovese actually operates given the way way Bellomo is said to lead. Taking a step back is one thing, yet meeting only on or two other members every now and then (i read he is never picked up on surveillance) makes me think he less of a policy maker than a man you go to for advice. How is money kicked up? Do the FBI have surveillance footage of envelopes being kicked up? I think the Genovese essentially function as a family of independent crews with Bellomo at the top to iron out any issues and give guidance. This is just speculation.
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

MSFRD wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:11 am Does make you wonder how the Genovese actually operates given the way way Bellomo is said to lead. Taking a step back is one thing, yet meeting only on or two other members every now and then (i read he is never picked up on surveillance) makes me think he less of a policy maker than a man you go to for advice. How is money kicked up? Do the FBI have surveillance footage of envelopes being kicked up? I think the Genovese essentially function as a family of independent crews with Bellomo at the top to iron out any issues and give guidance. This is just speculation.
That could make sense. A devolved power structure. These guys aren’t stupid they know it’s over in the traditional sense.

If it is something like that it works for this generation but it would further weaken the loyalty of the subsequent generations as it’s hard to be loyal to a ghost organisation.
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
thesociety 89
Straightened out

Post by thesociety 89 »

Isnt that how it tends to work in Sicily, they probably never see the boss there either
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Frank wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:47 am Cefalu is pretty low key too
10 years acting boss and no indictment, impressive
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

I think the Gambinos as a whole went completely quiet.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

The Genovese Family is able to make this kinda operation work because they have such a solid infrastructure. With the Lukes or the Colombo’s, Id imagine it’s kinda hard for the boss to be a complete ghost. It would look more like uncertainty or weakness than strategy.

Its weird. The Genovese Family has been the preeminent organized crime organization in America for like 40 years. With that kinda success you’d think the other families would try and emulate them.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Ozgoz wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:32 pm
MSFRD wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:11 am Does make you wonder how the Genovese actually operates given the way way Bellomo is said to lead. Taking a step back is one thing, yet meeting only on or two other members every now and then (i read he is never picked up on surveillance) makes me think he less of a policy maker than a man you go to for advice. How is money kicked up? Do the FBI have surveillance footage of envelopes being kicked up? I think the Genovese essentially function as a family of independent crews with Bellomo at the top to iron out any issues and give guidance. This is just speculation.
That could make sense. A devolved power structure. These guys aren’t stupid they know it’s over in the traditional sense.

If it is something like that it works for this generation but it would further weaken the loyalty of the subsequent generations as it’s hard to be loyal to a ghost organisation.
While the scale is no longer comparable between the two organizations, FWIW I think this is also most likely where Chicago wound up. If DeLaurentis (a big if) for example is currently the top Boss of the Outfit, it may every well be more of a symbolic role as an elder statesman over what are for all intents and purposes independent sub-organizations. While Chicago is on its way out due to attrition and other factors, it will be interesting to see what this sort of arrangement portends for the viability of the Genovese in the coming years. It may well prove to be more durable than you suspect, as the loyalty of the membership is then to a much more personal and immediate circle. Rather than loyalty to a "ghost organization", the rank and file would owe their allegiance to a very tangible set of direct contacts to their own peers and capo, while the bosses of each crew would be more like loosely affiliated partners under a set of mostly hands off elder statesmen.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

Sure.

I suspect with DeLaurentis et al I reckon the example set by the government in putting Lombardo and Marcelo in the supermax probably frightened the life out of them and was a significant deterrent.

Even Bellomo, it’s entirely possible they could have him in a 10x8 cell on 23 hours a day for the rest of his life vs what he is doing now which must be a very nice quality of life. I guess it depends on how much LCN means to him personally.

There is no doubt the FBI must be nibbling at him. But it might well be a case of how we measure the viability of extinct families - no cases, no activity! But on a one man level lol.
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

The Boss of Decavalcante, until today nobody knows who he is.
santos
Straightened out

Post by santos »

I guess barney holds the secret for mafia survival in the new age.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Cefalu’s been at the helm longer than Barney and we’ve heard literally nothing on him in a decade.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

You almost have to be low key in today’s OC universe. They have targets on their back, the Feds know who they are.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP