Richard Cantarella testimony notes

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Griz23
Straightened out

Re: Richard Cantarella testimony notes

Post by Griz23 »

That is the way it seemed to me. Are there transcripts of the conversations with Massino and Basciano in jail? Do I need a certain post amount to see those sections on here?
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Griz23 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:03 am That is the way it seemed to me. Are there transcripts of the conversations with Massino and Basciano in jail? Do I need a certain post amount to see those sections on here?
theres an FBI Files section with indictments, detention memos, criminal complaints, and transcripts... you need a certain number of posts to view

but AFAIK i haven't seen a full transcript of Massino and Basciano’s jailhouse conversation(s) anywhere. just seen them summarized and paraphrased in a few places, primarily the Basciano book

id love to see transcripts of that and also of James Tartaglione’s wired conversations
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

chubby wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:12 pm There’s no fucking way he only made half a million in 30 years. That’s literally a joke , that comes out to like 16k a year... and Cantarella was a known earner and was a Captain... there was probably single years towards the end before he flipped where he probably made several hundred thousand in 1 year alone...
if that’s all you’ve made in 30 years being a member of the Bonanno family, then you would be better off working a legit construction job. Even if you’re making 150 a day that’s over 50k a year... did he lie about his earnings to try and hide money from the feds??? Cause I don’t see how they could have believed that number . I mean this thug owned several Parking lots alone that must have generated huge income, let alone his soldiers and associates kicking up to him, and whatever else he has going on, shy, spots, scores, ect,,
This does appear to be a typo as it’s exceptionally low for a 30 year career.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Southshore88 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:31 pm
chubby wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:12 pm There’s no fucking way he only made half a million in 30 years. That’s literally a joke , that comes out to like 16k a year... and Cantarella was a known earner and was a Captain... there was probably single years towards the end before he flipped where he probably made several hundred thousand in 1 year alone...
if that’s all you’ve made in 30 years being a member of the Bonanno family, then you would be better off working a legit construction job. Even if you’re making 150 a day that’s over 50k a year... did he lie about his earnings to try and hide money from the feds??? Cause I don’t see how they could have believed that number . I mean this thug owned several Parking lots alone that must have generated huge income, let alone his soldiers and associates kicking up to him, and whatever else he has going on, shy, spots, scores, ect,,
This does appear to be a typo as it’s exceptionally low for a 30 year career.
especially considering Cantarella and his son were involved , supposedly, in a home invasion robbery that netted a quarter mill in one crack.

on top of that, he was shaking down Barry Weinberg, a Queens businessman with investments and ownership interests in parking garages all over the city and Queens. that part isnt alleged either, it was Weinberg going to the feds that eventually led Cantarella to flip. he was hitting Weinberg for 5 figure sums all the time. also shaking down a wealthy italian immigrant who owned a scaffolding company for 5 figure sums.

plus early on in his career, Cantarella was personally involved in the murder of someone who operated concession stands and newsstands all over downtown Manhattan, and assumed control of those business interests afterwards

combine that with his paycheck at the Post, loansharking, scores, and the fact he was running a crew, its safe to say that as grimey as he was, he was no bum. he had a lot going on. between testimony from others and himself, there are tons of examples of him being a pretty decent moneymaker

it seems like Massino’s “top” guys were all money makers. guys like Coppa, Cantarella, Graziano...all had a lot of things going on, lots of irons in the fire. Massino seemed greedy, so it makes sense. It might have been in the DeStefano book about Massino, i forget where i read it, but i remember reading that Massino was not only getting regular Boss tribute like any Boss would and should, but he forced financing on any of his guys with big loan books, effectively making himself a partner in the operation. theoretically taking tribute money from a Captain, and loaning it back to that Captain for him to put out on the street
mlm0047
Straightened out

Post by mlm0047 »

the tv series with the cantarellas is joke
NothingNew44
Straightened out

Post by NothingNew44 »

stubbs wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:49 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:08 am I cant believe they hit Sciascia, and kept brokers and rats around, mob cronyism at its finest.....
I’m going to give you the most Cabrini answer possible...

Because it’s about power. Massino was more concerned about consolidating, then keeping and maintaining his power as a boss. What good is having a powerful capo underneath him if that capo isn’t 100% loyal and subservient to his authority? Georgie was likely more loyal to Rizzuto so he was a threat to Massino’s power which is why he had to go. I’m not saying I agree with it, just trying to explain the thought process.

Remember that Massino originally consolidated his power under Rastelli by killing the three capos, then later having another capo, Cesare B, killed. Those four were all heavyweights in their own right, and the family as a whole was likely much worse off without them... but Massino’s own control was solidified by having them out of the way.

This is gold
Jbravo
Straightened out

Post by Jbravo »

No im not whoever you said i was.i just remember Cantarella he was from the neighborhood and he was a character...never liked him
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

CTamg65 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 pm Weren't Johnny Joe and Patty very close? I know someone who's done time with Johnny Joe and he is widely respected by everyone , I always thought that Patty was the same way, maybe not an earner(at least that's what is said)but he probably had a bunch of guys willing to put in work for him and must have been respected enough to become Capo I guess as long as the guys under you are earning enough and everything is getting kicked up then there's no issues that Bronx crew has had some serious guys Vinny,Patty,Mike M.,Spirito,etc. ..........Why exactly did Vinny and Patty hate each other? Was it because both wanted the top spot in that crew ,and that's why it eventually got made Into two crews? I always had the impression they were close early on at one time? Correct me if I'm wrong , I never knew why Vinny wanted to have him clipped? I can see why Vinny made the outburst at trial,that would have been a major move had it went down. Also wasn't Vinny a in heroin guy,heard heard he had a connection with the Dominicans and wondered if that was something he kept on the low...Always wanted to read the book about him haven't gotten a chance yet though.
Who is Mike M?
Manf
Straightened out

Post by Manf »

Mancuso
Mikeymike12
Straightened out

Post by Mikeymike12 »

You would think Massino would of put someone that was close with him as acting boss (keep it in Queens). Wonder if anyone high up questioned Vinny as the acting boss .
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Mikeymike12 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm You would think Massino would of put someone that was close with him as acting boss (keep it in Queens). Wonder if anyone high up questioned Vinny as the acting boss .
Apparently Vinny swooped in and made himself acting boss after Massino’s panel was arrested in 2004. Massino didn’t break him down because he wanted to avoid “confusing” the family.
TommyShots
Straightened out

Post by TommyShots »

Most mobsters didn't keep track of how much they made, or spent in a calendar year, I remember I read Vinny the Fish’s transcript and he said he would spend like 700k in a year calendar on restaurants, cars, didn’t keep a debit card or savings account. People would spend 1 thousand dollars in cash Faster than swipe a debit card with the same amount.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Mikeymike12 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm You would think Massino would of put someone that was close with him as acting boss (keep it in Queens). Wonder if anyone high up questioned Vinny as the acting boss .
A lot of guys weren't happy with Basciano. He made himself acting boss and Barney Bellomo told Massino in MDC that he was making a lot of noise in the Bronx and was walking around acting like John Gotti. Sounded like Bellomo wanted Basciano clipped but Massino was cooperating by that time.
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

Total BS about Cantarella making only 500k in his 30 year OC career ! If that were remotely true Wtf is the point of being an inducted member/Capo/Consigliere/boss etc..?? 20k a year , He coulda worked his way up to manager in McDonalds and made double his mob salary lmfao
Griz23
Straightened out

Post by Griz23 »

Yes that definitely doesn’t sound right but it’s not like these mobsters kept good accounting numbers on how much they were making. These guys are criminals and aren’t always the most intelligent people around.