General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Coloboy
Straightened out

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Coloboy »

Came across this article this morning about the Spilotro murders. What stood out to me was this portion....

Federal agents also were attempting to check a report that shortly after a jury failed to reach a verdict against Anthony Spilotro in Las Vegas last April, he went to Palm Springs, where former mob boss Anthony Accardo was living to make a pitch for himself to become head of the Chicago organization. Sources described it as a repeat performance of one by Charles English, who visited Accardo in Palm Springs.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

Anyone ever heard that spilotro visited Accardo prior to the murders? I've always wondered who the boss was who truly ordered the hits. Seems the report was not confirmed but it's interesting to think that it could have had something to do with a conversation/meeting with Accardo.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:38 am Came across this article this morning about the Spilotro murders. What stood out to me was this portion....

Federal agents also were attempting to check a report that shortly after a jury failed to reach a verdict against Anthony Spilotro in Las Vegas last April, he went to Palm Springs, where former mob boss Anthony Accardo was living to make a pitch for himself to become head of the Chicago organization. Sources described it as a repeat performance of one by Charles English, who visited Accardo in Palm Springs.

Anyone ever heard that spilotro visited Accardo prior to the murders? I've always wondered who the boss was who truly ordered the hits. Seems the report was not confirmed but it's interesting to think that it could have had something to do with a conversation/meeting with Accardo.
I've always understood it as Aiuppa and Cerone having the authority to order any murder. However, a guy like Spilotro they may have consulted with Accardo before ordering it.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:38 am Came across this article this morning about the Spilotro murders. What stood out to me was this portion....

I've seen this, but never believed it. I can see Spilotro possibly visiting Accardo (I have doubts about that), but not making a pitch for himself to head the Outfit. I'm sure even Spilotro knew he'd have to climb the ranks and prove himself as a leader and manager. Not to mention how remote the possibility of removing Aiuppa for him would be. It reads more like one of Roemer's works of fiction.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:50 am

I've always understood it as Aiuppa and Cerone having the authority to order any murder. However, a guy like Spilotro they may have consulted with Accardo before ordering it.
If Spilotro met with Accardo, reminds me of Zizzo meeting with Bananas before he got clipped. As Anti stated, doubtful that Spilotro actually tried to make a play to the Chairman to become boss (unless the coke had actually rotted his brain that badly). I suspect that it was was more likely an appeal for Accardo to protect him.

If this was similar to Zizzo’s apparent appeal to DiFronzo, In both cases, it didn’t do them any good. Either Accardo ruled against Spilotro, or didn’t get involved on his behalf and let Aiuppa make the call.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:30 am
Eto's testimony is an interesting study. One thing that always confused me was that by time he gave it (83 or 84), both Carlisi and Difronzo were firmly entrenched as either Capos or "territorial bosses". However, he does not mention either of them. A few short years later they would be named the #1 and #2 over the whole outfit. The same issue comes up with the Last Supper picture in 76. No Carlisi, no Difronzo. I've always seen it surmised that it may have been because Cicero was represented at the meeting by Aiuppa, and EP by Cerone. One thought I had is maybe that last supper photo in 76 was the official "board of directors", and although both Carlisi and Difronzo were capos, perhaps they weren't members of the board yet?
DiFronzo and Carlisi were captains at the time of Eto’s testimony. But Eto’s knowledge of the family was centered on the crews he knew better. Eto’s sphere of activity centered on the PR and Chinese communities, and my understanding is that the Prio, Chinatown, Buccieri, and possibly Battaglia crews were the ones mainly involved in those rackets (Bolita, Chinese gambling, probably narcotics in those communities).

My interpretation of the “Last Supper” is the same. This was likely a “board” meeting to handle a couple of points of organizational structure within the family. Solano’s succession as capo of the Prio/DiBella crew (and I suspect that after Piro’s death DiBella probably replaced him on the “board”), whatever was going on with Amato’s crew. Per Red Wemette, this was when Lombardo was appointed “street boss” (not the same thing as a capo according to Wemette at least) or “Enforcer”, essentially the head of the enforcement wing of the family (similar to an older CI account that talked about Nicoletti being head of the “blazers”). Carlisi and and DiFronzo’s interests were obviously represented by Aiuppa and Cerone.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Carlisi and DiFronzo were not identified as capos by Eto because Aiuppa and Cerone were still the respective faces of Melrose Park and Elmwood Park. I do not believe these crews were officially recognized by the FBI until 1988, when Scarpelli testified to their existence, which makes sense -- Scarpelli was a made guy and privy to this information, and Eto was not.

There may also be a formality issue at stake. When were Carlisi and DiFronzo formally recognized as capos by the Outfit and not just acting heads for Aiuppa and Cerone's interests? This may not sound like a big deal, but being officially recognized as a capo would entitle them to get a bigger piece of the pie from members of the MP and EP crews. Before their promotions, a larger share of this money probably went directly to Aiuppa and Cerone. As Tony mentioned, we know it had to be at the latest 1983, as they were both present at the making ceremony.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Additionally, Carlisi and DiFronzo weren't even on the member list in 1985, so being proteges of the bosses probably shielded them from a lot of attention they would have otherwise gotten -- from both their peers and the government. Because I'm a dork, here are the attendees of the 1983 ceremony and their status in the FBI's eyes at that time period:

Bolded names are those recognized by the FBI in 1985.

Boss: Joseph Aiuppa
Assistant: Al Tornabene

Capo: Vincent Solano
Capo: Angelo LaPietra
[acting?] Capo: Dominick Palermo
Capo: Samuel Carlisi
Capo: John DiFronzo

INDUCTEES
Frank Calabrese
Nicholas Calabrese
Frank DeMonte
Nicholas Guzzino
Rocky Infelise
James Marcello
John Matassa, Jr.
Albert Tocco
Anthony Zizzo
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:44 pm Carlisi and DiFronzo were not identified as capos by Eto because Aiuppa and Cerone were still the respective faces of Melrose Park and Elmwood Park. I do not believe these crews were officially recognized by the FBI until 1988, when Scarpelli testified to their existence, which makes sense -- Scarpelli was a made guy and privy to this information, and Eto was not.

There may also be a formality issue at stake. When were Carlisi and DiFronzo formally recognized as capos by the Outfit and not just acting heads for Aiuppa and Cerone's interests? This may not sound like a big deal, but being officially recognized as a capo would entitle them to get a bigger piece of the pie from members of the MP and EP crews. Before their promotions, a larger share of this money probably went directly to Aiuppa and Cerone. As Tony mentioned, we know it had to be at the latest 1983, as they were both present at the making ceremony.
The question of formal position recognition is important (at least to me, unsurprisingly). In the 80s I believe that there was a wiretap or report of Jimmy LaPietra specifically referring to himself as Angelo's "sottocapo", which may have just been him analogizing off the cuff to the underboss of the family, but also could be how they thought of a guy who was serving as an acting capo.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Can anyone clarify for me the consensus on the organization of what we call the Cicero Family, and how this intersects with the Melrose Park faction? For example...here is what I am looking to understand better....

-The roles of Ferriola and Carlisi. Carlisi is Aiuppa's main guy in the MP area, and follows him as boss in 1986. Is Ferriola's crew underneath Carlisi's jurisdiction prior to 86? Meaning do we consider them one crew? If so, this is another example of the feds and the press getting some important things wrong. You see Ferriola listed everywhere as a capo but not many mentions of Carlisi.

After 86 when Carlisi becomes boss, MP goes to Marcello correct? Does this mean at this time Ferriola (prior to his death in 89) is kicking up to Marcello as part of the larger cicero/MP group?

Lastly, do we have any sense who ran those areas during the period from 92-Early 2000's? Marcello, Zizzo, Ferriola, Sarno, Carlisi, Inendino, Delaurentis, Infelice are all either in jail or dead at this time right? That's a lot of high power guys. Does Tornabene oversee things?

This interests me partly because it ultimately leads us to the zizzo hit in 2006 and the disputes between MP and Cicero.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:29 pm Can anyone clarify for me the consensus on the organization of what we call the Cicero Family, and how this intersects with the Melrose Park faction? For example...here is what I am looking to understand better....

-The roles of Ferriola and Carlisi. Carlisi is Aiuppa's main guy in the MP area, and follows him as boss in 1986. Is Ferriola's crew underneath Carlisi's jurisdiction prior to 86? Meaning do we consider them one crew? If so, this is another example of the feds and the press getting some important things wrong. You see Ferriola listed everywhere as a capo but not many mentions of Carlisi.

After 86 when Carlisi becomes boss, MP goes to Marcello correct? Does this mean at this time Ferriola (prior to his death in 89) is kicking up to Marcello as part of the larger cicero/MP group?

Lastly, do we have any sense who ran those areas during the period from 92-Early 2000's? Marcello, Zizzo, Ferriola, Sarno, Carlisi, Inendino, Delaurentis, Infelice are all either in jail or dead at this time right? That's a lot of high power guys. Does Tornabene oversee things?

This interests me partly because it ultimately leads us to the zizzo hit in 2006 and the disputes between MP and Cicero.
This is my understanding of it:

Aiuppa: 1950s to 1970s (promoted to boss; crew "power base" relocated from Cicero to Melrose Park)
Ortenzi or Carlisi: 1970s to late 1970s/early 1980s
Carlisi: Late 1970s/early 1980s to 1986 (promoted to boss)
Marcello: 1986 to 1992 (imprisoned)
Tornabene (acting for Marcello but promoted to boss in 2001 after Monteleone died; may have continued to run crew, but Zizzo may have taken over when he was released in 2001; at some point in the mid-2000s, this crew was split up and mostly absorbed by the former Ferriola/Infelise crew)

Buccieri: 1950s to 1973 (died) (crew power base is lower West Side/parts of Cicero; later relocates further west and into suburbs)
Turk Torello: 1973 to 1979 (died)
Joe Ferriola: 1979 to 1989 (died)
Rocky Infelise: 1989 to early 90s (indicted and imprisoned in 1990; sentenced to life in '92)
John Monteleone: early-90s to mid-90s (promoted to boss; Michael Spano may have briefly acted as capo of this crew prior to Monteleone)
I am unsure of who took over after Monteleone, although I supposed Spano could have been reinstated as capo/acting capo of this crew until his imprisonment. Sarno probably took over at that point, although he was boss for a period of time, too. At some point, it was taken over by Jimmy Inendino who allegedly runs the crew today. I suppose that DeLaurentis or Cataudella may have ran it for a time, too.

Most of the confusion in succession stems from whether these crews were run by interim or acting capos after their predecessors were promoted (Monteleone, Tornabene, Sarno, etc.)
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Good rundown on the crew successions here, Snakes. One of the things that tends to throw people off is the way that we use "Cicero" and "Melrose Park" crew. Over time, I think that Chicago crews took on more of the well-defined geographic boundaries that we know later, but reading some of it backward can confuse. For example, the Aiuppa, Buccieri, Daddono, Battaglia, and Cerone crews all had points of overlap in terms of territory and spheres of operations. Depending on time period, "Cicero" crew could mean either/or the Buccieri or Aiuppa crew, whereas "MP crew" could be Battaglia or Aiuppa. I've seen cases in the past where people then seem to think that "THE" MP crew was a formal structure that was a specific, coherent entity over time. Whereas the actual structure we're usually talking about at later times at least is the Aiuppa crew, which as Snakes noted was primarily based in MP and Cicero, during different eras. My preference is to refer to the Buccieri (Torello, Ferriola, etc), Aiuppa (Carlisi, Tornabene, Marcello), Cerone (Gagliano, DiFronzo), Daddono (Amato), etc., crews. At least up until recent years, when the crew structure has been greatly simplified (no confusion as to what crew we mean by "Cicero" since the 2000s).
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Agreed, it's much easier to refer to the crews based on their best-known capos. Other crews don't have this problem since their territories were fairly stable, i.e., North Side, Chinatown, and Chicago Heights.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

One could also surmise that the last bastions of the MP crew were fighting the remnants of the Cicero/Buccieri/Infelise crew for power around the time of the Zizzo disappearance, which I think essentially ended that. I would add the Chiaramonte murder was also probably connected to that, given he was essentially the first made guy in Carlisi's MP crew who came back on the street following their bust in the early 90s.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Thanks for the breakdown snakes.

So we do consider these as 2 separate crews, with their own capos correct? At least up until the mid 2000’s?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:14 pm Thanks for the breakdown snakes.

So we do consider these as 2 separate crews, with their own capos correct? At least up until the mid 2000’s?
Yes. They were two distinct crews, with their own capos. From what we can tell, after Marcello was locked up and Zizzo got clipped, the Aiuppa crew ceased to exist and what was left of their interests were probably taken over by the Buccieri crew (Sarno, Cataudella).