Current Chicago Players 2020

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Current Chicago Players 2020

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am
Pre-Giancana era....i have to do a little more research since i think there were guys who pushed Sicilian heroin but didnt belong to any family at the time, nor they were constant residents of any city.

Btw you ever heard of Jacob Klein? He was born in 1903 in Brooklyn, New York and by the mid 1930’s, he was sent to Chicago by Luciano. In fact, Klein worked with almost every narcotics trafficker from both the Chicago and New York areas.
Are you referring to the Chicago Heights drug operation under Emery (with Tuffanelli, Guzzino, Laporte et al.), or is this something else? I'd be interested to know more also about these guys who were floating around between cities at the time.

Jacob Klein (aka Joe Gold) is an interesting figure that I know little about. I recall that he was one of the Chicago narcotics operatives mentioned in the Congressional hearings on OC and narcotics trafficking in '64. Thanks for the info that he was connected to Luciano. Did Klein have any contact with Dom Roberto?

As a side note, I'd assumed previously that Roberto was Sicilian due to his association with Sicilian traffickers after being deported. I now wonder if Roberto, Emery, and Laporte had any connections to Calabrese OC as well.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:48 pm
Pre-Giancana era....i have to do a little more research since i think there were guys who pushed Sicilian heroin but didnt belong to any family at the time, nor they were constant residents of any city.

Btw you ever heard of Jacob Klein? He was born in 1903 in Brooklyn, New York and by the mid 1930’s, he was sent to Chicago by Luciano. In fact, Klein worked with almost every narcotics trafficker from both the Chicago and New York areas.
Are you referring to the Chicago Heights drug operation under Emery (with Tuffanelli, Guzzino, Laporte et al.), or is this something else? I'd be interested to know more also about these guys who were floating around between cities at the time.

Jacob Klein (aka Joe Gold) is an interesting figure that I know little about. I recall that he was one of the Chicago narcotics operatives mentioned in the Congressional hearings on OC and narcotics trafficking in '64. Thanks for the info that he was connected to Luciano. Did Klein have any contact with Dom Roberto?

As a side note, I'd assumed previously that Roberto was Sicilian due to his association with Sicilian traffickers after being deported. I now wonder if Roberto, Emery, and Laporte had any connections to Calabrese OC as well.
Additionally, if I'm not mistaken there were guys like Joe Iacullo, Joe Mendino, and Carlo Urbinati who were apparently running drugs under Accardo/EP. Where they also being supplied by the Heights operation, or did they have a different source?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:59 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:48 pm

Additionally, if I'm not mistaken there were guys like Joe Iacullo, Joe Mendino, and Carlo Urbinati who were apparently running drugs under Accardo/EP. Where they also being supplied by the Heights operation, or did they have a different source?
I see the Chicago Heights faction as the main drug port for the Outfit during the late 40s and early 50s, and theres no doubt that guys like Roberto, Emery and Guzzino were involved in it. The deported Roberto besides being a mainlander, as you already said, he also had Sicilian connections and dont forget that Roberto was deported way before Luciano, Detriots Coppola or Adonis....theres a pic of Roberto together with Emery and Luciano in Italy

The thing is that the stash which arrived in the hands of the Chicago Heights mob was mainly reserved for cities of lesser importance such as Houston, Omaha, Denver, Phoenix etc., although some smaller part remained in the Chicago area and that same product was mostly sold by their Indiana cohorts and some of their non-Italian associates, meaning im not aware of any zips being involved.

The Chi Heights and South Side/Capone factions were very similar, meaning they wanted to control both the drug and prostitution rackets to an extent and also wanted to keep their image clean.

BUT the situation was different with the West and North factions, especially with the Taylor St, Grand Av and Rush St guys, meaning most of them had their own direct narcotics contacts on the east coast, mainly in the Genovese, Lucchese and Bonanno crime families and their product was destined strictly for the Chicago market. For example when the Mendino problem occurred, Galante visited Chicago while being on the lam.

So my point is that those same factions possibly opened the doors for the arrival of some Sicilian guys who teansferred themselves mainly from Detriot and NY. For example we previously talked about Lenny Calamia and the Dispensa/Seritella crew, who in turn i believe were connected to those same Sicilian guys. Members such as Calamia and Mendino were probably connected to the so-called Galante group which in turn even in those days probably started bringing few guys from the old country.

We also have other quite important Chicago names in the dope trade from the 40s and 50s such as August Deveno, Benny Morreale, Victor Zingarelli, Salvatore Nugara, that we dont know much about, or some alleged "unknown" Brooklyn individuals such as Nicholas Esposito, Sam Schifano or Dominick Gentile who in turn all were connected to Chicago....the Pisanos were also very interesting individuals...there was also one alleged Tampa guy Dentamaro who frequently travelled back and forth to Chicago and was closely associated with Carl Fiorito....they had one Tony Biase in Omaha and also one Vito Giordanello in Houston...

I have to go again through my old files and try to find some names, since my narcotics article is very much outdated and doesnt have everything in it...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

If you want to know about the Outfit and heroin on the street level, I think this guy's indictment is an excellent primer. Fucking brutal too. There were a lot of heroin addicts throughout the Italian neighborhoods in the 60s/70s before coke hit the scene.

This was in the Grand Avenue neighborhood and Jimmy Green's old tavern is where "Green Eyes" is now under the Western blue line stop.

https://law.justia.com/cases/illinois/s ... 220-5.html

This guy Durso was brutal. Worked for Frank Pape - he's also mentioned in Cullotta's book.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 am If you want to know about the Outfit and heroin on the street level, I think this guy's indictment is an excellent primer. Fucking brutal too. There were a lot of heroin addicts throughout the Italian neighborhoods in the 60s/70s before coke hit the scene.

This was in the Grand Avenue neighborhood and Jimmy Green's old tavern is where "Green Eyes" is now under the Western blue line stop.

This guy Durso was brutal. Worked for Frank Pape - he's also mentioned in Cullotta's book.
Thanks. Durso was a corrupt detective and was financied by Mad Sam, involved in narcotics and loan sharking. Gargano was the name of his close associate i think
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 am
SolarSolano wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 am If you want to know about the Outfit and heroin on the street level, I think this guy's indictment is an excellent primer. Fucking brutal too. There were a lot of heroin addicts throughout the Italian neighborhoods in the 60s/70s before coke hit the scene.

Thanks. Durso was a corrupt detective and was financied by Mad Sam, involved in narcotics and loan sharking. Gargano was the name of his close associate i think
Ovid Demaris also recounts Moschiano's story at some length in "Captive City".
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks, back in the days I also did my own research on the whole story and you can read about it in my narcotics article. It is interesting to note that besides doing many horrible stuff and being sentenced from 100 to 150 years in the can in 1964, still five years later both Durso and Gargano were paroled and released from prison.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Villain wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm

Thanks, back in the days I also did my own research on the whole story and you can read about it in my narcotics article. It is interesting to note that besides doing many horrible stuff and being sentenced from 100 to 150 years in the can in 1964, still five years later both Durso and Gargano were paroled and released from prison.
Are you TooDoped or am I TooDoped for thinking you are? And that's insane Durso was out on parole - any info on what became of him and Gargano? Did they go back to the Outfit?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:24 pm
Villain wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:19 pm

Are you TooDoped or am I TooDoped for thinking you are? And that's insane Durso was out on parole - any info on what became of him and Gargano? Did they go back to the Outfit?
Yup, that was/is my name over at GBB :mrgreen: ...to tell you the truth i have no idea on what happened next...i know they still had some legal troubles but i never did some further research and i doubt that they ever returned to the organization but who knows?!
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Patrickgold wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:21 am Bari social club is right on Belmont about 7800 block I think. Spilotro’s family was from Bari
Bari? I know Amici Cafe is right there.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

funkster wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:03 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:21 am Bari social club is right on Belmont about 7800 block I think. Spilotro’s family was from Bari
It’s right next to Michael’s cafe on the 7700 block of Belmont. They use to have a big sign but they took it down a couple of years ago for unknown reasons. Maybe the city forced them
Philly d
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Philly d »

SolarSolano wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:21 am I saw the Netflix special on the NYC mob and the first fucking episode begins with Jimmy I's wiretapped threats - that wasn't a NY guy that was Inendino in Chicago - I wonder what he and his family think about that - his son Tony was all over Facebook for a long time in that mob group screaming at people to stop labeling his father.

If Jimmy is the boss, he's the first Taylor Street native to take the throne since Giancana. Unless I'm missing something.
I knew it was a Chicago guy . and then it cut to "new york blah blah" so dumb.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 pm
It’s right next to Michael’s cafe on the 7700 block of Belmont. They use to have a big sign but they took it down a couple of years ago for unknown reasons. Maybe the city forced them
Ah, nice find. First time i've seen it. There are so many social clubs in that area, it's crazy. There's a members only bar by hiawatha park that got busted for selling booze without a license that is literally across the street from another social club over there.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:51 am
Patrickgold wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:21 pm
Ah, nice find. First time i've seen it. There are so many social clubs in that area, it's crazy. There's a members only bar by hiawatha park that got busted for selling booze without a license that is literally across the street from another social club over there.
It's my understanding that there are also lay Catholic social clubs (I.e. for people from particular Sicilian towns, dedicated to the local patron saint) in the area that may also function as Outfit fronts or are used by Outfit guys after hours etc. Anyone else heard this?
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

I've seen the same, nothing verified though.

Is Bobby Salerno alive? I know he got released early, still not sure why...he wasn't supposed to be released until 2024. Think he was released in 2018.