THE MOST MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Brickhouse101
Associate

Re: THE MOST MOBBED-UP NEIGHBORHOODS?

Post by Brickhouse101 »

A lot of people see “members only” outside of an Italian social club and they automatically think they are mobbed up. There is a very good chance they are but in many instances they are just social clubs for people descended from certain areas in Sicily or mainland Italy to congregate. Many of the social clubs are named after these areas.
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

Brickhouse101 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:48 am Howard Beach along Crossbay Blvd is definitely still mobbed up. I would also say certain areas of Glendale along the Queens/Bushwick border. Without a doubt SI probably has the biggest concentration of sheer made/connected guys living and operating in the area. That being said just because an area isn’t Italian anymore doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t a mob owned business or mob run operation going on. Take for instance certain areas of Bensonhurst or Bath Beach where we know the mob used to have a presence both in terms of actually living in the area and operating in the area. There are certainly still buildings and businesses owned by these guys in those areas. I’m sure a lot of their old operations are still ongoing, albeit with a lot less revenue generated and not as much in the open. I know a lot of guys on this board are looking for specifics and I understand that but I am just going by common sense and the very limited things I have seen. I am not going to sit here and act like I know made guys etc. but growing up on the south shore of LI you definitely get the eye to see when certain places or people are connected. It’s much more prevalent than most people think, even in this day and age. My two cents.
You have good points. Howard beach yeah for sure.
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

TommyNoto wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 pm In NJ - Newark, Elizabeth , Bellville , Lodi , Jersey City are the main cities.

Most of the towns surrounding Newark & Bellville - Lyndhurst, North Arlington , Nutley , Bloomfield all have activity as well
Bloomfield, Belleville, and Nutley are big time Mob areas.
Brickhouse101
Associate

Post by Brickhouse101 »

Generally speaking the entire southwest area of LI is mobbed up to one degree or another. Take for instance the cafe in Massapequa where the Colombo soldier Minerva got whacked in the 90s. New name now but you still see some characters hanging out there. This is a place that has been open in one degree or another for 40 somewhat years. The point of what I’m trying to say is that this particular social club has been around since prior to the Colombo Wars, it’s owner was whacked and it’s STILL active, albeit in a diminished way. This is a rather insignificant location in general, could you imagine areas like Gallo’s haunts on Court Street in Brooklyn or the age old joints along Cross Bay Blvd? Even with diminished membership, activity and demographic change most of these areas are still active to one degree or another.
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

bert wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:56 pm Synergy Gym is shady, all the franchises, there was a shooting at one gym involving the owners once. Is Filomina's still good? It's the restaurant next to the soccer club, used to have great food.
Wow, Filomenas, Havent heard that in years forgot all about them ! Yea, They were still great , Havent been there in at least 6 years. The prices went up and they were expensive as hell, I ordered delivery a few times of just a few basic things and the bill was like 70 bucks, I'm like WTF they're outta there minds
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

Brickhouse101 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:16 pm Generally speaking the entire southwest area of LI is mobbed up to one degree or another. Take for instance the cafe in Massapequa where the Colombo soldier Minerva got whacked in the 90s. New name now but you still see some characters hanging out there. This is a place that has been open in one degree or another for 40 somewhat years. The point of what I’m trying to say is that this particular social club has been around since prior to the Colombo Wars, it’s owner was whacked and it’s STILL active, albeit in a diminished way. This is a rather insignificant location in general, could you imagine areas like Gallo’s haunts on Court Street in Brooklyn or the age old joints along Cross Bay Blvd? Even with diminished membership, activity and demographic change most of these areas are still active to one degree or another.
Are you talking about Gondola Cafe on North Broadway in Massapequa? That place has been there a while now and always has old guys outside on the sidewalk or inside and alot of guys straight outta central casting lol..Fat Tommy from Carfellas is there alot sitting outside in his track suit pinky rings, Chain and king Kong cigar hanging out his mouth lol....N.Broadway has alot of questionable places up and down the Ave. With a large Italian presence. The Magliocco's are partners in a few places over there and used to have 2 restaurants right off N.Broadway on Park place, Maggie's on Park which I think is now closed for awhile, Dont know If they reopened ? And they had a 2nd location which i cant remember the name ?
Brickhouse101
Associate

Post by Brickhouse101 »

Yeah Gondola Cafe is the one. Agreed on Broadway in massapequa.... very similar to the area of Hempstead Turnoike near Frosinone in terms of just a mobbed up feel. Once again.... could be completely wrong but I doubt I am.
Brickhouse101
Associate

Post by Brickhouse101 »

Another thing when it comes to activity is that it’s very broad in terms of definition. Let’s say a 75 year old soldier in one of the families runs a deli or bakery in an old time mob neighborhood that has now demographically changed. Let’s also say this individual runs a multi million gambling/shy operation out of this same deli with the help of his associates. I would say that definitely qualifies that area to be relatively active in mob activity, especially since it’s probably the only significant organized racket in the whole area as well. Now there are no mob members living there and no more social clubs on every corner but that area still is very active in relative terms. I think situations like that occur all over the NY/NJ metropolitan area. Just because an area has become Hispanic or Russian or Asian or whatnot does not mean that LCN has closed up shop.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Brickhouse101 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:23 pm I’ve heard frosinone is NOT mobbed up per se but there are probably periphery figures hanging out there. Haven’t been to Filomenas in forever but it was always good food. King Umberto right up the block is where we go for family and birthday dinners. Great food if you can get over them using the same sauce on everything.
Umberto's :D :D Been there many times, Jospeh the waiter is a riot. They are all South American, except the owner who is Italian. So I laugh at the yelp and google reviews where those few upset idiots will write "The Italian waiters are racist, I wont come here again" :lol:
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Brickhouse101 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 pm A lot of people see “members only” outside of an Italian social club and they automatically think they are mobbed up. There is a very good chance they are but in many instances they are just social clubs for people descended from certain areas in Sicily or mainland Italy to congregate. Many of the social clubs are named after these areas.
100% true.
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

Brickhouse101 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:32 pm Yeah Gondola Cafe is the one. Agreed on Broadway in massapequa.... very similar to the area of Hempstead Turnoike near Frosinone in terms of just a mobbed up feel. Once again.... could be completely wrong but I doubt I am.
Yea, That area has like an old time HB feel from the 80s and 90s, People are out all over the place in the spring and summer and theres tons of Teens and others at the cafe and other places in they're cars racing up and down N.Broadway and hanging out in the parking lots and corners . Mario's pizzeria and restaurant over there is great, But I'm an Umbertos guy too !
Brickhouse101
Associate

Post by Brickhouse101 »

The stuffed veal chop is amazing. Joseph is always my waiter when I go there, known him for over 20 years now. Great guy and a true professional.
Flushing
Straightened out

Post by Flushing »

Highly subjective but:

Whitestone, Queens, north of the cross island. (not Chinese yet!) Along Clintonville by 14th Avenue. Near Cherry Valley.

South Amboy, NJ. Town is 1 square mile wide but has 4 strip clubs, tons of dive bars. It's not just that, either. It's a stones throw from tottenville and it shows.

Bayside, Queens. Along Bell and 38th Ave. Near the bars.
StandUpGuy
Straightened out

Post by StandUpGuy »

Bronx: throgs neck,pelham bay, Morris park..?
Brickhouse101
Associate

Post by Brickhouse101 »

Agreed on Whitestone and Bayside. Know nothing of the Bronx but obviously those areas are mentioned on the boards as being the most mob infested areas still left.