Philly Murders 1990s

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

chin_gigante
Full Patched

Philly Murders 1990s

Post by chin_gigante »

24 May. 1990 – Louis DeLuca (Associate) Ciancaglini/ Merlino faction

29 Jan. 1992 – Felix Bocchino (Soldier) Ciancaglini/ Merlino faction; Steven Mazzone shooter

29 May 1992 – James DiAddorio (Associate) Ciancaglini/ Merlino faction; Gaetano Scafidi implicated himself (as a blocker), Martin Angelina, George Borgesi and Michael Lancellotti in the murder

29 Nov. 1992 – Francesco DiGiacomo (Associate) Rosario Bellocchi shooter

7 Jan. 1993 – Rod Colombo (Associate)

28 Jan. 1993 – Mario Riccobene (Associate) Raymond Esposito shooter

8 May 1993 – Michael Ciancaglini (Soldier) Philip Colletti and John Veasey shooters

17 Sep. 1993 – Frank Baldino (Associate) Giuseppe Gallara and John Veasey shooters; Frank Martines driver

21 Jan. 1994 – Nicasio Zagone (Civilian)

24 Feb. 1995 – Ralph Mazzuca (Associate) Roger Vella shooter

5 Oct. 1995 – William Veasey (Associate) John Ciancaglini shooter, Michael Lancellotti backup

3 Apr. 1996 – Michael Avicolli (Associate) reported missing

7 Dec. 1996 – Joseph Sodano (Captain) Philip Casale shooter; Peter Caprio driver

18 Mar. 1998 – Anthony Turra (Associate) Michael Virgilio shooter

10 Apr. 1999 – Gino Marconi (Associate)

26 Oct. 1999 – Ronald Turchi (Soldier, former Consigliere) body found

Other murders involving Philip Casale (North Jersey):

Larry Scoloveno (1991)
William Shear (1993)
William Gantz (1994)
Robert Matonis (1997)

[Unclear whether the above murders were sanctioned or not, the Gantz murder was almost certainly done by Caprio and Capozzi on their own accord considering this took place in the void between Stanfa being arrested and Merlino being released from prison. Sodano was also incarcerated at this time.]

Other murders listed by Rick Porello that I have no information on:

Gigi Capello (1993)
Michael Brennan (1994)
Frank Russo (1995)
Julius Pickard (1995)
Anthony DePrizio (1997) Boston
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Philly Murders 1990s

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Julius Pickard (1995) was a member of the Junior Black Mafia (JBM). A drug gang tied to the Philly family. I don't think his murder had anything to do with Philly though.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

If I remember right Frank Russo (1995) was connected to the Turra organization.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

Freselone claimed Stanfa ordered the Capello hit in 93. But that is the only time I can think of of anyone making that claim. It never got mentioned in any of the Stanfa trials. But some of his claims about Stanfa were incorrect, so who knows.

And I've always wondered about the Nicasio Zagone murder. Was it a hit? And if so who was behind it? Stanfa? Merlino?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

This was the first I ever heard about Gigi Capello. There's very little out there on Zagone, only that he was related to Stanfa but not involved, maybe was killed because they confused him for someone else; I'm not even sure it's mob-related cause there's so little about it. There's also very little on Brennan other than he was a Merlino associate (I think a fringe guy but I could be wrong there) and that they found his body in the woods, apart from that there's little in terms of whether it was even mob-related.
Based on what Pogo said I'm inclined to believe Packard was a JBM thing rather than a mob hit. As for Russo, I searched his name in my kindle copy of The Last Gangster and it states he was killed by the Turra organisation.
I know next to nothing about the Luisi crew so if anyone has any input on Anthony DePrizio it'd be appreciated.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Adam wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:30 pm Freselone claimed Stanfa ordered the Capello hit in 93. But that is the only time I can think of of anyone making that claim. It never got mentioned in any of the Stanfa trials. But some of his claims about Stanfa were incorrect, so who knows.
You got anything else on Capello? I've never managed to track down a copy of Fresolone's book (I don't know if he said it there or elsewhere).
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 pm
Adam wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:30 pm Freselone claimed Stanfa ordered the Capello hit in 93. But that is the only time I can think of of anyone making that claim. It never got mentioned in any of the Stanfa trials. But some of his claims about Stanfa were incorrect, so who knows.
You got anything else on Capello? I've never managed to track down a copy of Fresolone's book (I don't know if he said it there or elsewhere).
He did mention it in Blood Oath. He claimed that Capello was a bookie who wasn't paying Stanfa's street tax. And I have to look this up, but if I remember correctly Capello's wife was I think married to another Philly mobster who got killed in the 80s. Can't remember who though.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:27 pm This was the first I ever heard about Gigi Capello. There's very little out there on Zagone, only that he was related to Stanfa but not involved, maybe was killed because they confused him for someone else; I'm not even sure it's mob-related cause there's so little about it. There's also very little on Brennan other than he was a Merlino associate (I think a fringe guy but I could be wrong there) and that they found his body in the woods, apart from that there's little in terms of whether it was even mob-related.
Based on what Pogo said I'm inclined to believe Packard was a JBM thing rather than a mob hit. As for Russo, I searched his name in my kindle copy of The Last Gangster and it states he was killed by the Turra organisation.
I know next to nothing about the Luisi crew so if anyone has any input on Anthony DePrizio it'd be appreciated.
The Brennan guy could’ve been whacked by some kids lookin to get joey’s attention. I dont think the murder was ever mentioned in the trial in 01’.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
jmack
Straightened out

Post by jmack »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:40 pm Julius Pickard (1995) was a member of the Junior Black Mafia (JBM). A drug gang tied to the Philly family. I don't think his murder had anything to do with Philly though.

Pogo
JBM was very loosely tied to Merlino, but there wasn’t too much of a connection. This hit certainly wasn’t tied to LCN.
jmack
Straightened out

Post by jmack »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:32 pm 24 May. 1990 – Louis DeLuca (Associate) Ciancaglini/ Merlino faction

29 Jan. 1992 – Felix Bocchino (Soldier) Ciancaglini/ Merlino faction; Steven Mazzone shooter

29 May 1992 – James DiAddorio (Associate) Ciancaglini/ Merlino faction; Gaetano Scafidi implicated himself (as a blocker), Martin Angelina, George Borgesi and Michael Lancellotti in the murder

29 Nov. 1992 – Francesco DiGiacomo (Associate) Rosario Bellocchi shooter

7 Jan. 1993 – Rod Colombo (Associate)

28 Jan. 1993 – Mario Riccobene (Associate) Raymond Esposito shooter

8 May 1993 – Michael Ciancaglini (Soldier) Philip Colletti and John Veasey shooters

17 Sep. 1993 – Frank Baldino (Associate) Giuseppe Gallara and John Veasey shooters; Frank Martines driver

21 Jan. 1994 – Nicasio Zagone (Civilian)

24 Feb. 1995 – Ralph Mazzuca (Associate) Roger Vella shooter

5 Oct. 1995 – William Veasey (Associate) John Ciancaglini shooter, Michael Lancellotti backup

3 Apr. 1996 – Michael Avicolli (Associate) reported missing

7 Dec. 1996 – Joseph Sodano (Captain) Philip Casale shooter; Peter Caprio driver

18 Mar. 1998 – Anthony Turra (Associate) Michael Virgilio shooter

10 Apr. 1999 – Gino Marconi (Associate)

26 Oct. 1999 – Ronald Turchi (Soldier, former Consigliere) body found

Other murders involving Philip Casale (North Jersey):

Larry Scoloveno (1991)
William Shear (1993)
William Gantz (1994)
Robert Matonis (1997)

[Unclear whether the above murders were sanctioned or not, the Gantz murder was almost certainly done by Caprio and Capozzi on their own accord considering this took place in the void between Stanfa being arrested and Merlino being released from prison. Sodano was also incarcerated at this time.]

Other murders listed by Rick Porello that I have no information on:

Gigi Capello (1993)
Michael Brennan (1994)
Frank Russo (1995)
Julius Pickard (1995)
Anthony DePrizio (1997) Boston
The Mario Riccobene hit always struck me as odd. I live not too far from the Brooklawn diner where the hit occurred. It is right on the. Brooklawn circle. That is heavily populated. I am surprised their wasn’t an eye witness.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

jmack wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 pm The Mario Riccobene hit always struck me as odd. I live not too far from the Brooklawn diner where the hit occurred. It is right on the. Brooklawn circle. That is heavily populated. I am surprised their wasn’t an eye witness.
Speaking of this hit, wasn't Raymond Esposito blind on one eye and with not very good eyesight on the other? I read his defense was pointing that out at the trial. If this is true, Stanfa was really nuts to use him, out of all soldiers he had.

Some others were a joke too, according to this article:

http://www.mpmpc.com/case-news/bad-guys ... ad-killers
Martines, alleged acting underboss, had such stature, his lawyer said sarcastically, that he once was asked to leave a meeting when mob business was being discussed.

Sparacio, alleged head of gambling in South Jersey, was such a high roller that he had to hock his wife's jewelry to come up with $300.

Pagano went to an alleged hit without a weapon.

Esposito, supposedly a dangerous triggerman and extortionist, was blind in one eye, deaf in one ear and suffering from a heart condition.

Battaglia talked tough, but never delivered.
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Brennan was with Lucibello, I always figured he had a falling out with him and then he got his ticket punched.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Big Wig
Honorary Member

Post by Big Wig »

Does anyone have more information on Joseph Sodano and why he was killed?
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Big Wig wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm Does anyone have more information on Joseph Sodano and why he was killed?
Sodano ran the philly mob’s north jersey crew and was eventually whacked for not attending face-to-face meetings with ralph natale. Joey allegedly also helped plan the hit.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

That and he had a history of not kicking up. He thought he could get away with not kicking up to Natale and Merlino. He was wrong. "Everybody pays" - Nicky "The Crow" Caramandi :mrgreen:

Pogo