Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Wiseguy »

NickleCity wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:02 am ^^^^Nice summary Wiseguy!!! Very impressive. Quick question, does your statement
July 2006, it was reported that, while “small numbers of loosely associated individuals got together to commit Mafia style crimes, rumors that what was once the Magaddino family still operating there just weren't true.”
about the 2007 Massimi Murder?
That was a quote from an article referencing law enforcement's view of the family.
Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:12 amI know it was talked about at the time but it doesn't appear that Russell Carcone was among those indicted. His name is not among the 25 listed in the press release.

https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/state-d ... fting-ring
Thanks for the correction, Pogo.
All roads lead to New York.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

antimafia wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:13 am ^^^^
If you're referring to the tweet to which I've linked below, as well as the subtweets in the Twitter thread, just be careful not to keep writing on forums like these that Buffalo ordered the hit on John Papalia. Paul Manning is litigious, and you really need to be more careful about what conclusions you draw, how you draw them, and to whom you attribute your evidence. Sorry to be harsh but I just worry you're going to get sued one day.

https://twitter.com/mobinfiltrator/stat ... 1878134784
Thanks anti... I will be more careful.
willychichi
Full Patched

Post by willychichi »

This may have already been mentioned but I guess it's possible the FBI didn't know about Buffalo's possible ongoing activities and modest resurgence the last 10-15 years because all of their business interests were moved over the border into Canada and overseen by members who were thought to be part of other organized crime groups?
Obama's a pimp he coulda never outfought Trump, but I didn't know it till this day that it was Putin all along.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. I was at La Nova last year.

So it's come out that Buffalo has a structure after years of being considered dormant. Just goes to show how much we really know.

I will say this: this alleged underboss, the fact that he's on the Canadian side could imply that Buffalo operations continued to exist on the Canadian side while their interests in NY state dried up. When you look at a city like Utica today, any Buffalo members still alive must wonder just wtf they were fighting over?

30 members? I'm speculating that half of them are probably semi-retired.

Does anyone have any more information on the Todaros? What part of Italy the family comes from?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:36 pm Wow. I wasn't expecting that. I was at La Nova last year.

So it's come out that Buffalo has a structure after years of being considered dormant. Just goes to show how much we really know.

I will say this: this alleged underboss, the fact that he's on the Canadian side could imply that Buffalo operations continued to exist on the Canadian side while their interests in NY state dried up. When you look at a city like Utica today, any Buffalo members still alive must wonder just wtf they were fighting over?

30 members? I'm speculating that half of them are probably semi-retired.

Does anyone have any more information on the Todaros? What part of Italy the family comes from?
My understanding, based on other posters’ contributions to these boards over the years, is that Joe Todaro Sr.’s parents were from Sicily.

Josephine D. Todaro, his wife, had the maiden name Santamauro. A while back I found what I think is her father's World War I Registration Card -- go to https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-916P-97JH — but I could be wrong; Rosario was born in Ventimiglia di Sicilia (Palermo).
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Has anyone else ever been to La Nova? It's really nothing special. Coming from someone who's been to wing and pizza joints from NYC to SF from Chicago to Miami, it didn't stand out. It wasn't complete shit either. Anyways, pizza shacks come and go, are bought and sold infrequently. You have alot of South Americans getting into pizzerias and the only Italian guy there is the fat chef on the box cover. One thing I will say is I do enjoy Colombian burgers that many of them implement, its a very good non-Ital addition. Puerto Rican pizzas are interesting too.

Re. La Nova, makes me wonder if the business flourished not as a mafia front but due to its mafia connections.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 am
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:32 pm
Stroccos wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:42 pm
Stroccos wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 pm has there been in federal cases in buffalo area in the last ten years, made guys ? even associates ?
The last bust of a made member occurred some 15 years ago. I think Bifulco, but don’t quote me on that.
I was just curious maybe we can pull some documents if there federal cases related to the mob
Nothing significant (other than OTremens) since the 1990s. Bifulco was charged with torching a car for the insurance money and sentenced to 10 years in 2003. That was the last Todaro family bust in the Buffalo region

In February 2000 25 people were busted for running a shoplifting ring in Utica and the upstate NY area. The operation was not specifically IDed as an LCN operation but looking at some of the names involved it is possible at least some of them were connected to the Buffalo family. Some on the internet claimed it was an LCN operation and some of those busted even appeared on some of those fake charts as "made members". In 2000/1 2 elderly Italian men were arrested in Buffalo for running a card game out of a social club. Some on the internet claimed it was LCN connected but I don't recall if that was ever confirmed either. In 2002 Capo Benjamin “Sonny” Nicoletti Jr. was busted with 2 or 3 Associates for running a small booking operation in Niagra Falls. Plus the BiFulco bust already mentioned. That is all since the early 2000s.

Hailbritain wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:38 pm Surely court documents stating violi was made into the buffalo family in January 2015 proves the famiky is still viable . They are still making guys

Tell that to Rochester and Cleveland.

Pogo
Pogo , what have Rochester and Cleveland got to do with it ??? As far as I’m aware there is no evidence that they are viable families or that they are still making guys . The buffalo thing is totally different . They were making guys as late as 2015 , what more evidence do you need ?? Capeci has stated there is a administration in place . Everyone takes his word as gospel , but a few on here just because there hasn’t been an indictment in years choose to believe they are defunct when that’s obviously not the case
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm Has anyone else ever been to La Nova? It's really nothing special. Coming from someone who's been to wing and pizza joints from NYC to SF from Chicago to Miami, it didn't stand out. It wasn't complete shit either. Anyways, pizza shacks come and go, are bought and sold infrequently. You have alot of South Americans getting into pizzerias and the only Italian guy there is the fat chef on the box cover. One thing I will say is I do enjoy Colombian burgers that many of them implement, its a very good non-Ital addition. Puerto Rican pizzas are interesting too.

Re. La Nova, makes me wonder if the business flourished not as a mafia front but due to its mafia connections.
You get around the country cc ,
I have been to la nova on a few of occasions like you said the pizza doesnt stand out as wow i need to come back here but its good , For me i always liked there wings , in fact I liked them better then the famous ahncor bar
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Let me just emphasize that "being choosen over 30 guys" could imply 30 candidates, not all the actual members. As if every soldier would make a change to become underboss. The usual candidates are mostly a handful of guys at best who are already higher-ups.

In this case he did likely mean the total membership, which doesn't seem far-fetched for a family such as Buffalo, especially if they did start to renew the family in recent years. It does very much seem that the family swifted their operations across the border which may explain why the FBI no longer considers them viable in Buffalo (have they actually specifically state this?)

At this point I believe Buffalo is more viable than Detroit anyway. Operation OTremens along with the information provided by these wiretaps is more significant than anything we've seen in Detroit in the last 20 years.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Hailbritain wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 pm Pogo , what have Rochester and Cleveland got to do with it ??? As far as I’m aware there is no evidence that they are viable families or that they are still making guys . The buffalo thing is totally different . They were making guys as late as 2015 , what more evidence do you need ?? Capeci has stated there is a administration in place . Everyone takes his word as gospel , but a few on here just because there hasn’t been an indictment in years choose to believe they are defunct when that’s obviously not the case

They each made a member in 2000. Like now people on the forums used that as a reason to resurrect those families despite the Feds saying they were dead. This Buffalo thing is nothing new. We have seen this very same thing play out on the forums with Cleveland, Rochester, Kansas City, Milwaukee, St. Louis, LA, Rockford, San Francisco, Denver, New Orleans, Detroit and Chicago. The arguements and faulty logic are the same. Only the family in question changes. People on the forums just have a habit of going against what the Feds actually say. Doesn't matter how many times they are later proven wrong. Like I said fantasy is more exciting than reality. Just got to let this thing play itself out again and in 5-10 years this whole Buffalo "resurgence" will be on the scrap heap of the forum history like all the other resurrected families.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Lupara wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 amIt does very much seem that the family swifted their operations across the border which may explain why the FBI no longer considers them viable in Buffalo (have they actually specifically state this?)
2017 article -

The local FBI once had a large squad of agents working full time on mob cases, but the agency no longer considers the Mafia a presence in this region, according to Adam S. Cohen, special agent in charge of the Buffalo FBI office.

“Some of the individuals who were leaders of the Mafia are still around,” Cohen said. “But their organized crime activities don’t exist anymore. Some of them have legitimate businesses that we know of.”

https://buffalonews.com/2017/03/19/fbi- ... perations/

Furthermore, we haven't seen Buffalo on any list of remaining families (I've compiled several) since the 1990's.
All roads lead to New York.
willychichi
Full Patched

Post by willychichi »

These things gotta happen every 5 years or so, 10 years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop the fanboys at the beginning. Like Pogo and Wiseguy should have stopped "The Arm" in 2008, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.
Obama's a pimp he coulda never outfought Trump, but I didn't know it till this day that it was Putin all along.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by Lupara »

Wiseguy wrote:
Lupara wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:20 amIt does very much seem that the family swifted their operations across the border which may explain why the FBI no longer considers them viable in Buffalo (have they actually specifically state this?)
2017 article -

The local FBI once had a large squad of agents working full time on mob cases, but the agency no longer considers the Mafia a presence in this region, according to Adam S. Cohen, special agent in charge of the Buffalo FBI office.

“Some of the individuals who were leaders of the Mafia are still around,” Cohen said. “But their organized crime activities don’t exist anymore. Some of them have legitimate businesses that we know of.”

https://buffalonews.com/2017/03/19/fbi- ... perations/

Furthermore, we haven't seen Buffalo on any list of remaining families (I've compiled several) since the 1990's.
These statements don't necessarily contradict the seemingly fact that the Buffalo family's activities in Canada continue to exist. The FBI specifically states that the Mafia is no longer a presence (active) in the Buffalo region.

Like I said, I don't think the FBI takes activities across the border into consideration when they decide the viability of a crime family within their own country (jurisdiction).

Just trying to make sense of it all.
Last edited by Lupara on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

From the same 2017 article. No leader, no viable organization, family no longer active, no more than a handful of surviving members in the area, organized crime activities don’t exist anymore. All direct from the head of the Buffalo FBI field office in 2017.

Though several local men succeeded Magaddino as leaders following his death, no one leads what is left of the mob in this region, Cohen said. Several retired state and local law enforcement officials who specialized in Mafia investigations agreed.

Today, both Cohen and Coppola estimate that there are no more than a handful of surviving mob members in the area, with no viable organization to unite them, and no leader.
the FBI’s contention that the Buffalo mob family no longer is active and no longer has a leader.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

^^^ Guess we're reaching a stalemate here and we just have to wait for further information.