Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

John W
Straightened out

Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by John W »

Lupara wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:35 pm
antimafia wrote:
John W wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:30 pm
antimafia wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:18 am
antimafia wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 pm Alessandro Sucapane, leader in a Montreal Mafia clan, granted day parole

https://montrealgazette.com/news/alessa ... ay-parole/
Tweet by Stefano Violi in response to Paul Cherry's having linked to his own article about Sucapane. On Twitter, Steve R. Violi has presented himself for years as the son of the murdered Rocco Violi who was killed in Montreal in 1980. This Stefano is usually more discreet than this.
Can someone translate what his tweet says to English please?
Violi is somewhat fluent in Italian, but here his command of the language failed him.

You don't say "Buona continuità" in Italian--it's not an expression of anything. You also don't really say "Sempre un rispetto per name of a person, pronoun for a person." What I think he was aiming for was to express his hope that Sucapane keeps forging ahead and to stay the course, especially because Sucapane claims to be retired from the mob.

So the translation could be as follows: Stay the course, my friend. I'll always have respect for you. God bless you.
Is there anybody who truly believes he will retire? Del Balso and Arcadi are supposedly retired too. [emoji2]
What is this, the navy?

Sorry I couldn’t resist
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by B. »

scagghiuni wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:36 pm
B. wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:55 pm Now, does he mean this only with regards to the Buffalo-Ontario family, i.e. the only Canadian member of that family to be part of the admin? Or does he mean nobody in Canada, period, has held an administrative position? The articles all say "highest Canadian member of a US-based family" but this excerpt of the conversation doesn't specify US-based family and simply says "in Canada", which makes me question why the articles made that distinction.
violi said he's the underboss of buffalo family, so higher than bonanno boss in montreal who was a capodecina/captain
Yep, that's exactly what I was getting at. If we can get the full context it may finally put the other theories to death.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Moscone65 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 am If the Montreal family didn't branch off and form their own thing, then why didn't Sal Montagna have full respect and control when he came over from New York, after all he was the boss for a bit back in NYC. It's clear that he tried to take over, so that means that by that point Montreal was its own thing, no longer Bonnano's. Ya I know it was Desjardins that later had him whack but he was still in conflict with Rizzuto members at certain points.
It was said that Rizzuto Sr. sent word back to NY saying 'This guy is not my Boss' in regards to Montanga. So just by him sending word back I say means they hadn't broken off but had little to no respect for Sal and certainly weren't about to step aside and let him take over the decina. They were definitely acting out of order but if they had broken off why bother sending word back at all. What they should have done if they broke off was shoot Sal right in the fucking head, that would have sent the message perfectly.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

When Sal Vitale visited Vito Rizzuto in 2001, he asked Vito to step up as the new official captain but he refused and Vito suggested his father Nicolo instead, which Vitale wasn't looking for. It would be interesting if Nicolo did end up being promoted to official capodecina. Vitale was more or less shelved in the years before he flipped, so we can't be sure he was fully in the loop after 2001. It would be great if LCNBios or someone uncovers the full extent of Massino's Montreal knowledge up to the point he flipped -- until then, it is hard to believe we know everything there is to know about the Bonanno administration's relationship with Montreal.

To the best of our knowledge, Sal Montagna was already a made member in the same decina as the Montreal members by 1999 and served as a liaison to Canada during the mid-2000s, which Dom Cicale says he was told by Baldo Amato, a close friend of both the Montreal decina and Sal Montagna. As a Canadian citizen and Gerlando Sciascia protege, it seems likely that he had been previously serving as a go-between to Canada while Sciascia was alive when you factor in Montagna's clean record, his personal connections to Canada, and Sciascia's inability to travel there. Sciascia had previously sponsored the young Pietro Ligammari into the family so that he could serve as a made go-between with his imprisoned father, so with that logic in mind it could explain why Sciascia may have sponsored young Sal Montagna into the family in the 1990s. Speculation, but not completely without basis. Not that this would affect what happened when Montagna was deported to Canada, but it would tell us something about his ongoing relationship with the Montreal decina.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 pm Alessandro Sucapane, leader in a Montreal Mafia clan, granted day parole

https://montrealgazette.com/news/alessa ... ay-parole/
Ancien bras droit du mafieux Giuseppe De Vito, Alessandro Sucapane est envoyé en maison de transition

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... sition.php
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

B. wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm When Sal Vitale visited Vito Rizzuto in 2001, he asked Vito to step up as the new official captain but he refused and Vito suggested his father Nicolo instead, which Vitale wasn't looking for. It would be interesting if Nicolo did end up being promoted to official capodecina. Vitale was more or less shelved in the years before he flipped, so we can't be sure he was fully in the loop after 2001. It would be great if LCNBios or someone uncovers the full extent of Massino's Montreal knowledge up to the point he flipped -- until then, it is hard to believe we know everything there is to know about the Bonanno administration's relationship with Montreal.

To the best of our knowledge, Sal Montagna was already a made member in the same decina as the Montreal members by 1999 and served as a liaison to Canada during the mid-2000s, which Dom Cicale says he was told by Baldo Amato, a close friend of both the Montreal decina and Sal Montagna. As a Canadian citizen and Gerlando Sciascia protege, it seems likely that he had been previously serving as a go-between to Canada while Sciascia was alive when you factor in Montagna's clean record, his personal connections to Canada, and Sciascia's inability to travel there. Sciascia had previously sponsored the young Pietro Ligammari into the family so that he could serve as a made go-between with his imprisoned father, so with that logic in mind it could explain why Sciascia may have sponsored young Sal Montagna into the family in the 1990s. Speculation, but not completely without basis. Not that this would affect what happened when Montagna was deported to Canada, but it would tell us something about his ongoing relationship with the Montreal decina.
According to Daniel Renaud's latest book on Vito Rizzuto, the former RCMP Officer who collaborated on the book had documented two trips that Vitale made to Montreal--the purpose of each trip was the same: asking Vito to accept the captain position. Vito turned it down twice.

I'll write more in detail later because I have work to do. I honestly don't mean to leave you guys hanging like this but I have to put food on the table.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Still online.

https://twitter.com/PCherryReporter/sta ... 5903031298

Paul Cherry
‏@PCherryReporter

Montreal Mafia leader Francesco Del Balso pleads guilty to threatening TVA reporter Félix Séguin.

10:46 AM - 6 Dec 2018
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 pm
Moscone65 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 am If the Montreal family didn't branch off and form their own thing, then why didn't Sal Montagna have full respect and control when he came over from New York, after all he was the boss for a bit back in NYC. It's clear that he tried to take over, so that means that by that point Montreal was its own thing, no longer Bonnano's. Ya I know it was Desjardins that later had him whack but he was still in conflict with Rizzuto members at certain points.
It was said that Rizzuto Sr. sent word back to NY saying 'This guy is not my Boss' in regards to Montanga. So just by him sending word back I say means they hadn't broken off but had little to no respect for Sal and certainly weren't about to step aside and let him take over the decina. They were definitely acting out of order but if they had broken off why bother sending word back at all. What they should have done if they broke off was shoot Sal right in the fucking head, that would have sent the message perfectly.
While that's true, perhaps they didn't want to fully upset them and have the added issue of more conflict. It's clear that they acted on their own though, I highly doubt any tribute was going from the Rizzuto's to any Bonnano's. Therefore they essentially were independent. No boss would tolerate a crew not listening to "their boss" they would have to whack them out to save face. So I think it was generally accepted that the Rizzuto's became too powerful, and we're essentially their own self governing family, whether all the five families acknowledged them as one or not.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

antimafia wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 am
B. wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm When Sal Vitale visited Vito Rizzuto in 2001, he asked Vito to step up as the new official captain but he refused and Vito suggested his father Nicolo instead, which Vitale wasn't looking for. It would be interesting if Nicolo did end up being promoted to official capodecina. Vitale was more or less shelved in the years before he flipped, so we can't be sure he was fully in the loop after 2001. It would be great if LCNBios or someone uncovers the full extent of Massino's Montreal knowledge up to the point he flipped -- until then, it is hard to believe we know everything there is to know about the Bonanno administration's relationship with Montreal.

According to Daniel Renaud's latest book on Vito Rizzuto, the former RCMP Officer who collaborated on the book had documented two trips that Vitale made to Montreal--the purpose of each trip was the same: asking Vito to accept the captain position. Vito turned it down twice.

I'll write more in detail later because I have work to do. I honestly don't mean to leave you guys hanging like this but I have to put food on the table.
I remember Vitale mentioning visits in 1991 and 2001, the latter being the one where he asked Rizzuto to take the promotion, but it would be big news to me if he went twice after 1999.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

antimafia wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 am [snip]

https://twitter.com/PCherryReporter/sta ... 5903031298

Paul Cherry
‏@PCherryReporter

Montreal Mafia leader Francesco Del Balso pleads guilty to threatening TVA reporter Félix Séguin.

10:46 AM - 6 Dec 2018
Menaces envers un journaliste: le mafioso Del Balso plaide coupable

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/just ... upable.php

Menaces contre un journaliste: un leader de la mafia coupable

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/ ... a-coupable

Google translation:
https://translate.google.ca/translate?s ... a-coupable
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Moscone65 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:16 am No boss would tolerate a crew not listening to "their boss" they would have to whack them out to save face.
Thats exactly what happened.
Moscone65
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Moscone65 »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 pm
Moscone65 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:16 am No boss would tolerate a crew not listening to "their boss" they would have to whack them out to save face.
What do you mean, the Bonnano's were behind killing the Rizzuto's?
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

More about Francesco Del Balso's guilty plea.

Link:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... -reporter/

Excerpts below of, to me, the most interesting content in the article:

According to a joint statement of facts presented to Quebec Court Judge Robert Marchi by prosecutor Simon Lacoste and defence lawyer Anthony Francischiello on Thursday, Del Balso told the prosecutor “that he was in the Italian Mafia. That he was a lieutenant in the Rizzuto clan,” and that he was upset over the publication of the photo of his family’s home.

[snip]

[Brother] Girolamo Del Balso’s trial is scheduled to begin Nov. 4, 2019, but his lawyer recently informed the U.S. court that Del Balso is undergoing chemotherapy treatments for “an advanced, aggressive lung cancer.”
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Moscone65 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 pm
What do you mean, the Bonnano's were behind killing the Rizzuto's?
At very least gave their blessing.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Montagna was the highest-ranking Bonanno member at the time he was deported. It's not clear what Mancuso's role was at that time, defacto or official, but Montagna at the time was the longest running Bonanno boss/acting boss since Massino and if he lost the position it was only due to deportation, not losing standing or someone else usurping him. This is important to consider, at least in understanding his mindset and the political weight he may have tried to use (regardless of how effective it was).