Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: The 'Ndrangheta in Ontario

Post by B. »

Frank wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:38 pm Ok so it's possible but more likely that he was made in Sicily. I know this was a different day and age of LCN., so it must've been different back then as to guys being made in Sicily and there recognition in the US. Like I believe you have mentioned they were more like one organization back in that time period. A guy could be made in Sicily and come to America as a soldier, and then start his own family. I wonder if a boss like Profaci had to send tribute to the boss that made him in Sicily. Or they just made these guys and sent them to America and they just we're on there own basically. Also I was surprised Magaddino was made in Chicago not only that fact but I thought he was probably made in Sicily.
Magaddino was still firmly with the Castellammarese/Bonanno family from an early age either way. In his office tapes, he talks about being mentored as a teenager by Girolamo Asaro in the butcher trade. Girolamo Asaro was the father of Vincenzo, a Bonanno captain, and Giuseppe, believed to be a soldier, and everyone else descended from them. Girolamo Asaro was likely an early Bonanno member, as he fled to the US after ordering a hit in Sicily in association with a Buccellato. If Magaddino was made in Chicago, it was likely just to induct him and not an indication that he was associated with the Chicago organization(s).

The way it worked back then was if a member came to the US, he brought a letter of recommendation from Sicily and could then be recognized by the local family*. It's unlikely anyone "kicked up" to Sicily, as they would report to a local boss. I don't know that members even "kicked up" locally in the same way they would in later generations, as rackets weren't as structured and the mafia was more based around exploiting opportunities and doing favors for members of the organization, not so much "earning" in the modern sense.

* - Based on info shared by Felice, this system still seems to be in use though very rarely, as he mentioned a Sicilian member affiliated with Giuseppe Gambino who received a recommendation like this and transferred to a US family.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Frank wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:45 pm Also not to get off subject but I am lol since we are talking that time period. Johnny Torrio, does anyone know if he was made
I don't believe Johnny Torrio was ever a member of Cosa Nostra. He had already given his organization over to Al Capone and fled to Italy before Capone was made by Masseria and prior to that I believe they were in competition with the local Cosa Nostra family. At some point Torrio did return to America and settled in Brooklyn and I guess it's possible he was made into a family then but I don't think he was ever active after his return to the US other than in an advisory capacity. Chicago guys might have more on this but thats how I remember reading things happened.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

B. wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:23 pm
Frank wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:38 pm Ok so it's possible but more likely that he was made in Sicily. I know this was a different day and age of LCN., so it must've been different back then as to guys being made in Sicily and there recognition in the US. Like I believe you have mentioned they were more like one organization back in that time period. A guy could be made in Sicily and come to America as a soldier, and then start his own family. I wonder if a boss like Profaci had to send tribute to the boss that made him in Sicily. Or they just made these guys and sent them to America and they just we're on there own basically. Also I was surprised Magaddino was made in Chicago not only that fact but I thought he was probably made in Sicily.
Magaddino was still firmly with the Castellammarese/Bonanno family from an early age either way. In his office tapes, he talks about being mentored as a teenager by Girolamo Asaro in the butcher trade. Girolamo Asaro was the father of Vincenzo, a Bonanno captain, and Giuseppe, believed to be a soldier, and everyone else descended from them. Girolamo Asaro was likely an early Bonanno member, as he fled to the US after ordering a hit in Sicily in association with a Buccellato. If Magaddino was made in Chicago, it was likely just to induct him and not an indication that he was associated with the Chicago organization(s).

The way it worked back then was if a member came to the US, he brought a letter of recommendation from Sicily and could then be recognized by the local family*. It's unlikely anyone "kicked up" to Sicily, as they would report to a local boss. I don't know that members even "kicked up" locally in the same way they would in later generations, as rackets weren't as structured and the mafia was more based around exploiting opportunities and doing favors for members of the organization, not so much "earning" in the modern sense.

* - Based on info shared by Felice, this system still seems to be in use though very rarely, as he mentioned a Sicilian member affiliated with Giuseppe Gambino who received a recommendation like this and transferred to a US family.
Thanks B. That seems most likely the case of Magaddino being made in Chicago and then returning to NY, that the books were closed at the time. That fits in with what Valachi said and what Maggadino said. Was that Giuseppe Gambino John Gambino's brother or another Gambino? By the way Happy Thanksgiving.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 pm
Frank wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:45 pm Also not to get off subject but I am lol since we are talking that time period. Johnny Torrio, does anyone know if he was made
I don't believe Johnny Torrio was ever a member of Cosa Nostra. He had already given his organization over to Al Capone and fled to Italy before Capone was made by Masseria and prior to that I believe they were in competition with the local Cosa Nostra family. At some point Torrio did return to America and settled in Brooklyn and I guess it's possible he was made into a family then but I don't think he was ever active after his return to the US other than in an advisory capacity. Chicago guys might have more on this but thats how I remember reading things happened.
Yes I would think if he did get made it would have been after he left Chicago. Also Capone wasn't made until later on. As you said they were in competition with the local LCN.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Frank wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:00 pm
B. wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks B. That seems most likely the case of Magaddino being made in Chicago and then returning to NY, that the books were closed at the time. That fits in with what Valachi said and what Maggadino said. Was that Giuseppe Gambino John Gambino's brother or another Gambino? By the way Happy Thanksgiving.
Same to you, man (a day late).

Another possible, maybe even more likely reason Magaddino would have been made in Chicago was that he was on the lam there and the Chicago group made him as a favor to Magaddino's NYC friends either for protection, as someone mentioned, or just because he was due to be made anyway.

He is a fascinating guy, had an absolute treasure of knowledge about the history of the US mafia and we only caught a glimpse from those 1960s transcripts (and a lot of is had to understand due to phonetic translation) but even that was filled with great stuff. His involvement in Ontario is just one more part of his story. Despite his reputation as an old time Sicilian, he seems to have gotten along with Calabrians. On those transcripts he talks about getting involved in the Philadelphia problems of the late 1950s and befriending the Calabrian faction there.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Looks like Violi was the underboss of Buffalo!! https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/sh ... falo-mafia
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

That is clearly a made up fake article. Regurgitating the usual bullshit that has been spreading on the Internet.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:57 pm That is clearly a made up fake article. Regurgitating the usual bullshit that has been spreading on the Internet.

Pogo
Wiretap evidence—from the article:
Domenic, you know you made history,” Violi said the alleged boss of the Buffalo Mafia family told him in 2017 after Violi was promoted to the position of Underboss, according to a wiretap summary tendered in court.

Violi asked what he meant.

Nobody in Canada has ever held such a high position, Violi said he was told, according to his own recounting caught on an RCMP recording.

It was such a unique situation that the Buffalo boss had consulted “the Commission” about it, the conversation continued. The opinion, he said, was that as long as someone is a member of the Mafia he is entitled to hold leadership positions within that family.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Joe Todaro Jr. Still the Boss of the Buffalo Crime Family?

It was in October 2017, at a meeting in Florida, that Is Joseph Todaro Jr., the alleged Buffalo boss, told Violi he had hand-picked him, according to wiretap transcripts and summaries entered as exhibits in pre-trial proceedings.

After he told the story to his friend, the New York mobster leaned in and kissed Violi in a traditional show of respect, the Crown’s evidence claimed.

He told Violi it was “in his blood.”

I had a reporter tell me a high ranking guy from Florida came up to “straighten out” some young guys. Wonder if he was talking about this?
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:57 pm That is clearly a made up fake article. Regurgitating the usual bullshit that has been spreading on the Internet.

Pogo
The National Post is basically the Canadian version of the National Enquirer. lol
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

This "National Post" appears to be only a website. Not a legit news site outside the internet. Red flag number one. No auther listed. Red flag number two. The article makes several claims that are not mentioned in either the indictment or extensive coverage that this bust got in several other media outlets. Big red flag number three. It also makes several of the usual BS internet claims that go against what the Feds and LE have said repeatedly. A lot of it just sounds like a GBB wet dream (the mob resurging, reaching out to the Commission, etc). Red flag number four. The dialoge from the supposed "wiretap" sounds fake. If you have ever actually read real transcripts from mob bugs you would see that real mobsters don't talk that way. Red flag number five. It clearly has all the makings of a fake article.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Confederate wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Pogo
The National Post is basically the Canadian version of the National Enquirer. lol
How about this one from The Star?
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/1 ... ember.html

Or this one from the Globe & Mail:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... d-a-mafia/

I think they are going to keep coming!
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Confederate wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Is it? Plenty of people have posted articles from The National Post on this site and no one has ever questioned its veracity. Looks like the article was written by Adrian Humphreys you telling me he is literally making shit up? I could have sworn he was a respected journalist and author.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:29 pm This "National Post" appears to be only a website. Not a legit news site outside the internet. Red flag number one. No auther listed. Red flag number two. The article makes several claims that are not mentioned in either the indictment or extensive coverage that this bust got in several other media outlets. Big red flag number three. It also makes several of the usual BS internet claims that go against what the Feds and LE have said repeatedly. A lot of it just sounds like a GBB wet dream (the mob resurging, reaching out to the Commission, etc). Red flag number four. The dialoge from the supposed "wiretap" sounds fake. If you have ever actually read real transcripts from mob bugs you would see that real mobsters don't talk that way. Red flag number five. It clearly has all the makings of a fake article.

Pogo
Look closely the author is Adrian Humphries, plus now an article from Peter Edwards...
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Looks like it's crow for dinner.