Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Lupara »

JCB1977 wrote:
Frank wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:14 am
JCB1977 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:36 am Is Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito in charge of the Sicilian faction in Montreal? If so, is Leonardo equipped for the criminal life?
From what I have read they are in charge of the old Montreal Decina. But with the trouble that has been going on up there for sometime now, who is with what is uncertain to me. For one thing are they in the Bonnano Family? Are the Sicilians not United under one leadership?
I don't believe they have been under the control of the Bonanno's for quite some time.
I think they are in charge of their own fragmented group. I also think the Bonannos have ongoing activities in Canada separate from the old Rizzuto group.
Frank
Full Patched

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Frank »

JCB1977 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:36 am
Frank wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:14 am
JCB1977 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:36 am Is Leonardo Rizzuto and Stefano Sollecito in charge of the Sicilian faction in Montreal? If so, is Leonardo equipped for the criminal life?
From what I have read they are in charge of the old Montreal Decina. But with the trouble that has been going on up there for sometime now, who is with what is uncertain to me. For one thing are they in the Bonnano Family? Are the Sicilians not United under one leadership?
I don't believe they have been under the control of the Bonanno's for quite some time.
Yes you could be right, alot of what's going on up there is unclear.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Also with the Bonnano making ceremony case, I thought more info would come out.
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

"Drug dealer tied to murdered Mob-tied loan shark granted day parole"

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... day-parole
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Francesco Del Balso moved to Québec City. According to the article, he is trying to impose to some pizzeria the ill-famous tax (pizzo) to owners. But the latters did not fear Del Balso and alerted Québec police.

"Un mafieux montréalais vise des pizzérias de Québec"

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/ ... -de-quebec
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Lupara »

Laurentian wrote:Francesco Del Balso moved to Québec City. According to the article, he is trying to impose to some pizzeria the ill-famous tax (pizzo) to owners. But the latters did not fear Del Balso and alerted Québec police.

Lol.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Laurentian wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:24 am Francesco Del Balso moved to Québec City. According to the article, he is trying to impose to some pizzeria the ill-famous tax (pizzo) to owners. But the latters did not fear Del Balso and alerted Québec police.

TRANSLATION:
The Montreal Mafia settles in Quebec City. An influential lieutenant of the Rizzuto clan has recently settled in the Old Capital area, where he and his gang are engaged in extortion attempts at pizzerias.

According to information gathered by our Investigation Bureau, Francesco Del Balso, a soldier of former godfather Vito Rizzuto, has been living in the Quebec City area since last spring.

The police believe that he tries by all means to make "business". At least half a dozen restaurants would have been targeted.

Members of his entourage have, among other things, asked pizzi some restaurateurs. The pizzo is the periodic payment of money to the mafia by traders in exchange for its protection. This type of typical Italian mafia practice has existed in some Montreal neighborhoods for decades.

Del Balso also allegedly attempted extortion to take control of other institutions.
According to our police sources, this is the first time that a member of the Mafia settles permanently in the Quebec City area.

SURVEY FOR EXTORTION

Francesco Del Balso is, among other things, the subject of an investigation for trying to extract several thousand dollars from the owners of La Fornarina restaurant, in the Saint-Jean-Baptiste district (see other article).

Rather than yield to the mafia pressures, the courageous owners decided to contact the Quebec Police Service (SPVQ) to file a complaint for extortion.

The SPVQ quickly sought the help of the National Organized Crime Squad (ENRCO). Sources involved in the case say the case is treated very seriously.

"This is really a bum, this guy [Del Balso]. He was told to get away from Montreal if he wanted to live and the next thing that comes to our ears is that he is threatening Quebec restaurants. Frankly! "Said one of them.

"What are you talking about?" Del Balso said when we reached him on the phone, before asking our Investigation Bureau to never call him again.

Victim of an attempted murder in May in Laval, Del Balso, nicknamed "Chit" (cucumber, in Italian jargon), has landed in the region of Quebec since then.

KEEP AWAY

"We asked him to stay away [from the Montreal area]," says a source related to the Rizzuto clan.

"I think he did not understand that" far "it was much further than Quebec," adds a police officer well aware of the case, who also requested anonymity.

Del Balso is currently employed as a representative in a fruit and vegetable distribution company. He had the same type of job when he was arrested in 2006, during the anti-Colafia operation.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:05 am
Laurentian wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:24 am Francesco Del Balso moved to Québec City. According to the article, he is trying to impose to some pizzeria the ill-famous tax (pizzo) to owners. But the latters did not fear Del Balso and alerted Québec police.

TRANSLATION:
The Montreal Mafia settles in Quebec City. An influential lieutenant of the Rizzuto clan has recently settled in the Old Capital area, where he and his gang are engaged in extortion attempts at pizzerias.

According to information gathered by our Investigation Bureau, Francesco Del Balso, a soldier of former godfather Vito Rizzuto, has been living in the Quebec City area since last spring.

The police believe that he tries by all means to make "business". At least half a dozen restaurants would have been targeted.

Members of his entourage have, among other things, asked pizzi some restaurateurs. The pizzo is the periodic payment of money to the mafia by traders in exchange for its protection. This type of typical Italian mafia practice has existed in some Montreal neighborhoods for decades.

Del Balso also allegedly attempted extortion to take control of other institutions.
According to our police sources, this is the first time that a member of the Mafia settles permanently in the Quebec City area.

SURVEY FOR EXTORTION

Francesco Del Balso is, among other things, the subject of an investigation for trying to extract several thousand dollars from the owners of La Fornarina restaurant, in the Saint-Jean-Baptiste district (see other article).

Rather than yield to the mafia pressures, the courageous owners decided to contact the Quebec Police Service (SPVQ) to file a complaint for extortion.

The SPVQ quickly sought the help of the National Organized Crime Squad (ENRCO). Sources involved in the case say the case is treated very seriously.

"This is really a bum, this guy [Del Balso]. He was told to get away from Montreal if he wanted to live and the next thing that comes to our ears is that he is threatening Quebec restaurants. Frankly! "Said one of them.

"What are you talking about?" Del Balso said when we reached him on the phone, before asking our Investigation Bureau to never call him again.

Victim of an attempted murder in May in Laval, Del Balso, nicknamed "Chit" (cucumber, in Italian jargon), has landed in the region of Quebec since then.

KEEP AWAY

"We asked him to stay away [from the Montreal area]," says a source related to the Rizzuto clan.

"I think he did not understand that" far "it was much further than Quebec," adds a police officer well aware of the case, who also requested anonymity.

Del Balso is currently employed as a representative in a fruit and vegetable distribution company. He had the same type of job when he was arrested in 2006, during the anti-Colafia operation.
I bey this happens more often then it makes the papers, makes the papers lol. Also minus the police as well.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Une présence «atypique» de la mafia à Québec

https://www.journaldequebec.com/2018/09 ... a-a-quebec
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

The article to which I’ve linked below is probably making the rounds this morning wherever Italian organized crime in Montreal is discussed online. I know of the article because someone on Gangster BB posted.

Andrew Scoppa aurait été chef intérimaire de la mafia

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justi ... -mafia.php
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

antimafia wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 am The article to which I’ve linked below is probably making the rounds this morning wherever Italian organized crime in Montreal is discussed online. I know of the article because someone on Gangster BB posted.

Andrew Scoppa aurait été chef intérimaire de la mafia

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justi ... -mafia.php
Comme l'article est en Français je pose ma question en Français ... Les initiales "SQ" ça veut dire Sureté Quebec ?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Interesting but dubious. He could only be acting head if there would be one organization like how it was during the Cotroni and Rizzuto days when they were ultimately under the Bonannos. All the factions answering to one admin. I doubt he would've been recognised by all the factions as their leader. A previous article stated that he was acting over his own group separate from the others. And who are these people in Toronto who would determine who would be in charge in Montreal? With their own problems in Ontario between each other and other groups such as the Wolf Pack I don't see this being the case. So I'm getting a little tired from these vague statements.

Scoppa had previously been identified by Renaud in an article years ago as a made member. Made members originally were made into the Bonanno family. Nowadays the status of the Montreal "family", if there even is one, might have changed. Apparantly Renaud states in his book about the Montreal Mafia (which I haven't read but others have stated this) that he was working under Gallo, who in case he was made and I believe he was, would be another member of the Bonanno crew. If Scoppa was made years ago I can only see him belonging to the Bonannos thus making him suitable for the acting head position, which would indicate there still is a functioning crew in Montreal. With all these separate factions seemingly warring with each other there is little indication of one happy crime family...

My interpretation of this is that Scoppa may have rather been appointed as an arbitrator between the warring factions which is something stated in articles before. But this would also mean that it's unlikely that he was behind the murders of Sollecito and Giordano. Then again, it remains intriguing that the fighting came to a halt when he was incarcerated but that may very well be just a coincidence.

CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

@lupara

I think we are still making the SAME mistake, looking at the organization, and NOT the operations. I don't know how people keep doing this.....

What the ONE thing, that ALL these crime groups have in common? The Rizzuto group, the Toronto Calabrians, the Street gangs, the Hell Angel's, Independent Soldiers, Red Scopions, West End Gang, French guys like Dejardins, the rival biker groups, what's the common thread Vito used to tie it all together?

NARCOTICS, MY MAN!!

Scoops is a big importer, right? I see him as a man with the connections and contacts to come closest to duplicating what Vito was capable of ON A BUSINESS LEVEL. ( But no one has Vitos charisma, it seems..)

Why were the Hells with Vito? Drugs. Why were the gangs with the Hells? Again, DRUGS.

What turned the Wolfpack against the Calabrians? They welched on a drug debt, thinking their " Honored society" status would protect them. I'm sorry, NO.

That's my problem with the Violis. All thier OPERATIONS, scream ndrangheta connected drug operations. But to everyone it seems it's a foregone conclusion that they belong to NY, even though they KNOW these people dont control the trade.

So how could they be in control of a drug organization, if they dont control the supply, distribution-territory, OR the importation?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

@Cabrini

If people speak about acting head of the Mafia they mean the organization....

No mistakes are made and no need to overcomplicate this.

As for the Violis, their affiliation seems to be with LCN based on the simple fact that they attended a Bonanno ceremony. That doesn't mean that they, due to their kinship and historic family ties, can't be close to the 'ndrangheta too.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

I hear you @lupara, and I SUPER respect your opinion.
I just think we dont have NEARLY enough info.

Ask antimafia about the tweets from the Montreal journalist, who was speculating the Violis LOST standing in Buffalo, maybe BECAUSE, they attended a Bonnano ceremony....

Either that, or the fact it was recorded and they were compromised, actually, now that I think of it, it's what did their father in as well....