Genovese Leadership 1997-Present

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Genovese Leadership 1997-Present

Post by Wiseguy »

Great job compiling all those.

A rough timeline I've posted before -

June 1996 - Barney Bellomo indicted. Dominick Cirillo becomes acting boss some time thereafter.

September 1997 - Dom Cirillo reported to be acting boss, forms ruling committee, includes himself, Larry Dentico...

May 1998 - Dominick Cirillo steps down after a heart attack. Frank Serpico follows as acting boss but steps down some time between then and April 2001 when he's indicted as the "former" acting boss. Whenever that was, apparently Ernie Muscarella followed as acting boss.

In 1998 Frank Illiano was mentioned as being one of the Street Bosses, along with Larry Dentico, running the family following Cirillo's heart attack. There could have been others serving in this role.

It looks like Cirillo was back in action by 2000 since he was involved with another panel with Dentico, John Barbato and Alan Longo. Alan Longo was imprisoned in April 2001.

August 2001 - Alan Longo reported to be running things with power from commuter of Dom Cirillo, Larry Dentico, and Ernie Muscarella

January 2002 - Ernie Muscarella indicted as acting boss. An later FBI report in November 2008 said Muscarella had been on a ruling panel with Dominick Cirillo (not clear how long he was out of commission from his 1998 heart attack) and Danny Leo. The report also confirmed that Nigro, who was reported to be acting boss in November 2003, succeeded Muscarella on the panel when Muscarella went to prison.

December 2002 - March 2005 - This was the time frame of Garcia's undercover work. At some point during this, Garcia said Pasquale DeLuca was acting boss (possibly on ruling panel?). The November 2008 FBI report mentioned above DeLuca had been a captain of a different crew than the Bellomo/Muscarella/Nigro crew. Possibly Leo's???

May 2004 - New Jersey OC report says Mario Gigante is acting boss, John Barbato street boss, Larry Dentico consigliere, Dom Cirillo also in "managing role"

January 2005 - Dominick Cirillo, Larry Dentico, and Mario Gigante reported by Capeci to be on ruling panel.

April 2005 - Dominick Cirillo indicted as acting boss.

July 2005 - Matthew Ianniello indicted as "an" acting boss, as opposed to "the" acting boss. This is wording is probably intentional by the feds, which suggests he was on the ruling panel.

2006 - John Bologna tells FBI Danny Leo is the (acting) boss with Mario Gigante acting underboss

June 2006 - Capeci reports Barney Bellomo, Dominick Cirillo, Ernest Muscarella, Larry Dentico and Mario Gigante had served as acting bosses.

November 2006 - Danny Leo identified as acting boss (from his previous position on the ruling panel) and indicted as such in May 2007. 2010 press release says Leo became acting boss sometime in 2005.

June 2009 - NY Daily News article identifies Benny Mangano (Oct 2006), Ernie Muscarella (Jan 2008), Barney Bellomo Dec 2008), and Larry Dentico (May 2009) on a "rotating panel" of recently released senior members running the family.

September 2009 - NY Times article identifies Tino Fiumara as being on a "three man panel" running the family.

February 2010 - Artie Nigro indicted as the "former" acting boss.

February 2014 - Wall Street Journal article reports the family is believed to be still run by a ruling panel.

February 2016 - Capeci reports that Barney Bellomo is boss and is using captain Peter "Petey Red" DiChiara as street boss/consigliere to relay orders.
All roads lead to New York.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Who’s Frank J Illiano?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:17 am Who’s Frank J Illiano?
He was with Joey Gallo, and with the trouble going on still after Gallo was killed, he and Gallo's brother were moved over to the Genoveses. I believe they were under the Chin. I believe they were not made with the Columbo Family, but probably made after the books opened up with the Genovese Family.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I believe that the Columbo guys or faction that still wanted to basically ignore the peace agreement were wacked on Commission orders. Illiano and Gallo ended up being Capo's in the Genovese and possibly both served on the ruling panel.
Charlie
Straightened out

Post by Charlie »

Wiseguy wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:07 am Great job compiling all those.

A rough timeline I've posted before -

June 1996 - Barney Bellomo indicted. Dominick Cirillo becomes acting boss some time thereafter.

September 1997 - Dom Cirillo reported to be acting boss, forms ruling committee, includes himself, Larry Dentico...

May 1998 - Dominick Cirillo steps down after a heart attack. Frank Serpico follows as acting boss but steps down some time between then and April 2001 when he's indicted as the "former" acting boss. Whenever that was, apparently Ernie Muscarella followed as acting boss.

In 1998 Frank Illiano was mentioned as being one of the Street Bosses, along with Larry Dentico, running the family following Cirillo's heart attack. There could have been others serving in this role.

It looks like Cirillo was back in action by 2000 since he was involved with another panel with Dentico, John Barbato and Alan Longo. Alan Longo was imprisoned in April 2001.

August 2001 - Alan Longo reported to be running things with power from commuter of Dom Cirillo, Larry Dentico, and Ernie Muscarella

January 2002 - Ernie Muscarella indicted as acting boss. An later FBI report in November 2008 said Muscarella had been on a ruling panel with Dominick Cirillo (not clear how long he was out of commission from his 1998 heart attack) and Danny Leo. The report also confirmed that Nigro, who was reported to be acting boss in November 2003, succeeded Muscarella on the panel when Muscarella went to prison.

December 2002 - March 2005 - This was the time frame of Garcia's undercover work. At some point during this, Garcia said Pasquale DeLuca was acting boss (possibly on ruling panel?). The November 2008 FBI report mentioned above DeLuca had been a captain of a different crew than the Bellomo/Muscarella/Nigro crew. Possibly Leo's???

May 2004 - New Jersey OC report says Mario Gigante is acting boss, John Barbato street boss, Larry Dentico consigliere, Dom Cirillo also in "managing role"

January 2005 - Dominick Cirillo, Larry Dentico, and Mario Gigante reported by Capeci to be on ruling panel.

April 2005 - Dominick Cirillo indicted as acting boss.

July 2005 - Matthew Ianniello indicted as "an" acting boss, as opposed to "the" acting boss. This is wording is probably intentional by the feds, which suggests he was on the ruling panel.

2006 - John Bologna tells FBI Danny Leo is the (acting) boss with Mario Gigante acting underboss

June 2006 - Capeci reports Barney Bellomo, Dominick Cirillo, Ernest Muscarella, Larry Dentico and Mario Gigante had served as acting bosses.

November 2006 - Danny Leo identified as acting boss (from his previous position on the ruling panel) and indicted as such in May 2007. 2010 press release says Leo became acting boss sometime in 2005.

June 2009 - NY Daily News article identifies Benny Mangano (Oct 2006), Ernie Muscarella (Jan 2008), Barney Bellomo Dec 2008), and Larry Dentico (May 2009) on a "rotating panel" of recently released senior members running the family.

September 2009 - NY Times article identifies Tino Fiumara as being on a "three man panel" running the family.

February 2010 - Artie Nigro indicted as the "former" acting boss.

February 2014 - Wall Street Journal article reports the family is believed to be still run by a ruling panel.

February 2016 - Capeci reports that Barney Bellomo is boss and is using captain Peter "Petey Red" DiChiara as street boss/consigliere to relay orders.
In 2006, the feds carried Rudolph Santobello as 'a member of the administration'.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Frank wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:19 am
I believe that the Columbo guys or faction that still wanted to basically ignore the peace agreement were wacked on Commission orders. Illiano and Gallo ended up being Capo's in the Genovese and possibly both served on the ruling panel.
Oh, Punchy.

The Frank part threw me.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:18 am
Frank wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:19 am
Oh, Punchy.

The Frank part threw me.
Lol.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Charlie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:55 am In 2006, the feds carried Rudolph Santobello as 'a member of the administration'.
Do you have a link to the source on that? I'd like to check it out. This is the first I've heard of Santobello. Thanks.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Charlie
Straightened out

Post by Charlie »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:11 am
Charlie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:55 am In 2006, the feds carried Rudolph Santobello as 'a member of the administration'.
Do you have a link to the source on that? I'd like to check it out. This is the first I've heard of Santobello. Thanks.
Ganglandnews, May 23 2013

'Details of his demise could not be obtained, but sources confirm the cause did not stem from his Gang Land activities. In recent years, Santobello had moved up in the powerful Genovese family. A secret 2006 FBI report lists him as a "member of the hierarchy." Law enforcement sources say he maintained a low profile while overseeing lucrative loansharking and bookmaking rackets from Bronx locations.'
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Charlie wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:14 am

'Details of his demise could not be obtained, but sources confirm the cause did not stem from his Gang Land activities. In recent years, Santobello had moved up in the powerful Genovese family. A secret 2006 FBI report lists him as a "member of the hierarchy." Law enforcement sources say he maintained a low profile while overseeing lucrative loansharking and bookmaking rackets from Bronx locations.'
A "member of the hierarchy" is a little vague and could simply mean he was a captain.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:14 pm

A "member of the hierarchy" is a little vague and could simply mean he was a captain.
Disagree.

‘Hirearchy’ does not refer to middle management, ie Captains.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Disagree.

You're equating "hierarchy" with "administration."

Hierarchy simply means the LCN has a hierarchical system made up of an administration, captains, and soldiers.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:48 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Disagree.

You're equating "hierarchy" with "administration."

Hierarchy simply means the LCN has a hierarchical system made up of an administration, captains, and soldiers.
I would absolutely agree if we were talking simply about definitions without context.

Technically associates are ‘part’ of the hirearchy. The bottom ‘part’ but part non the less.

But including context I think we can conclude reasonably that hirearchy is a synonym for administration.

Use the term in context in any other frame and it means the pinnacle generally. Ie if you were talking about the hirearchy at google would you be referring to anyone who is in the pyramid of workers employed at google or would the term more likely refer to its leadership?
Charlie
Straightened out

Post by Charlie »

Well I'm a little pissed off at myself for mixing up 'administration' and 'hierarchy'... I was going off memory so my apologies.

However, I tend to agree with Sonny on this. Hierarchy, to me, in this context means admin hence the quote describing santobello as having 'moved up in the powerful Genovese family'.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Charlie wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:53 am Well I'm a little pissed off at myself for mixing up 'administration' and 'hierarchy'... I was going off memory so my apologies.

However, I tend to agree with Sonny on this. Hierarchy, to me, in this context means admin hence the quote describing santobello as having 'moved up in the powerful Genovese family'.
I agree with Wiseguy that the way it was worded is a little vague. It leaves it open to him just being a Captain and not on the ruling panel or administration. But also it could of meant that he was in the administration, but worded wrong. So it needs some more proof, and maybe that will come out in the future. I would have thought the same thing as you at first.