1980 Pittsburgh Chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: 1980 Pittsburgh Chart

Post by JCB1977 »

Youngstown:

Capo- Vincenzo "Brier Hill Jimmy" Prato

Top Associates:

Domenico "Dom" Prato
Joseph "Little Joey" Naples- killed 8-19-1991
Lenine "Lenny" Strollo
Dante "Danny" Strollo
Lawrence "Jeep" Garono
Leo Connelly
Ernest "Ernie B" Biondillo- killed 6-3-1996
Frank "Ball Bat Frankie" Lentine
Robert "Bobby" Poghen
Samuel "Sam" Scaffidi
Vincent "Vince" Serman
Bernard "Bernie the Jew" Altshuler
Samuel "Skinny Sam" Fossesca
Peter "Pete" Cascarelli
Paul "Pinto" Holavatick
John Holowatatuk (brother of Pinto, spells name differently)
Charles "Spider" Grisham- killed 12-3-1978
James "Peeps" Cononico- killed 1-11-1979
Robert "Bobby" Furey- killed 4-12-1979
John "Jack" Tobin- killed 7-25-1979
John "Johnny" Magda- killed 1-6-1980
Joseph "Joe" Calautti- (Relative of Hillsville Black Hand Member Joe Calauti)
Victor "Vic" Calautti- (Relative of Hillsville Black Hand Member Joe Calauti)
Gary "Big Gary" Goodrick
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Big Gary is a big piece of shit!
Henry told me to stay away from him.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:51 am Big Gary is a big piece of shit!
Henry told me to stay away from him.
He was...I grew up with his son Beef, great guy, helluva golfer. I just heard from my dad that Gary is dead.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: 1980 Pittsburgh Chart

Post by phatmatress777 »

JCB1977 wrote:
Maggiebnk wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 am
FriendofHenry wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 am
Maggiebnk wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 am Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum, so I hope you'll be patient with me. I have a lot of questions, but once I get acclimated, I might be able to contribute a little bit. First of all, who controlled which geographic areas in western PA? I read thru the forum, but I still don't have a clear picture of this.
Your question is right in JCB's wheelhouse. You make what to check out some of the break downs already given in this thread.
I did read through the posts, and while there is a lot about Johnstown, Altoona, New Kensington, for instance, all stuff I already knew, not much about Butler Co., Indiana Co., Beaver Co., and places north. And even a breakdown of the various parts of Pittsburgh would be helpful. But maybe that's what the forum is supposed to come up with?
Absolutely, that is what we will come up with.

In the 1960's, a guy by the name of Sam Adornato (from Reggio Calabria) was allegedly the guy in Indiana County. In the MF files, he is connected to Dominic "Big Dom" Mallamo from Youngstown as well as Paul and Mike Romeo. For all intensive purposes, he comes off as a legitimate businessman in Indiana and the owner of a popular restaurant. But so did Paul & Mike Romeo. I have no clue of Indiana County had representation in 1980. If anything, I would think Joe Regino controlled this territory because of it's close proximity to Johnstown. I would venture to say that Indiana County was pretty dead since the mines were not running to much any longer.

Beaver County- Frank Unis Sr and Frank Unis Jr (Aliquippa)

Butler County- My guess is Lawrence Amodie from New Castle, PA (partners with Michael Gulino in Johnstown)

**Ironically, Indiana, beaver and Butler County had their own black hand groups in the early days but 1980 in Indiana and Butler is murky.
In 1980 indiana co had a very thriving industry. The coal mines were very strong along with power plants. They went down in the mid 1990s. These are not researched but just told to me. My mother claims that a mobbed up buisness owner that ran a shoe factory here and a union shop called robert shaw was very well known in this area and was known as fuzzy cantalupo. I believe that you (jcb) and i have discussed him before. Another supposed mobbed up person in this area was phil pitzarel. He ran bars and was always involved in stolen merch and drugs. I know phil and i know he was a well to do criminal. Another fella here in indiana co who had connections to nick the blade through cocaine was a biker named panama quebecca. Yes his birth name was panama. Im sure there are other examples here in indiana but i dont know them. However i doubt much more than just loose fringe players with connections.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

phatmatress777 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:53 am
JCB1977 wrote:
Maggiebnk wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 am Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum, so I hope you'll be patient with me. I have a lot of questions, but once I get acclimated, I might be able to contribute a little bit. First of all, who controlled which geographic areas in western PA? I read thru the forum, but I still don't have a clear picture of this.
Your question is right in JCB's wheelhouse. You make what to check out some of the break downs already given in this thread.
I did read through the posts, and while there is a lot about Johnstown, Altoona, New Kensington, for instance, all stuff I already knew, not much about Butler Co., Indiana Co., Beaver Co., and places north. And even a breakdown of the various parts of Pittsburgh would be helpful. But maybe that's what the forum is supposed to come up with?

In the 1960's, a guy by the name of Sam Adornato (from Reggio Calabria) was allegedly the guy in Indiana County. In the MF files, he is connected to Dominic "Big Dom" Mallamo from Youngstown as well as Paul and Mike Romeo. For all intensive purposes, he comes off as a legitimate businessman in Indiana and the owner of a popular restaurant. But so did Paul & Mike Romeo. I have no clue of Indiana County had representation in 1980. If anything, I would think Joe Regino controlled this territory because of it's close proximity to Johnstown. I would venture to say that Indiana County was pretty dead since the mines were not running to much any longer.

Butler County- My guess is Lawrence Amodie from New Castle, PA (partners with Michael Gulino in Johnstown)

**Ironically, Indiana, beaver and Butler County had their own black hand groups in the early days but 1980 in Indiana and Butler is murky.
In 1980 indiana co had a very thriving industry. The coal mines were very strong along with power plants. They went down in the mid 1990s. These are not researched but just told to me. My mother claims that a mobbed up buisness owner that ran a shoe factory here and a union shop called robert shaw was very well known in this area and was known as fuzzy cantalupo. I believe that you (jcb) and i have discussed him before. Another supposed mobbed up person in this area was phil pitzarel. He ran bars and was always involved in stolen merch and drugs. I know phil and i know he was a well to do criminal. Another fella here in indiana co who had connections to nick the blade through cocaine was a biker named panama quebecca. Yes his birth name was panama. Im sure there are other examples here in indiana but i dont know them. However i doubt much more than just loose fringe players with connections.

Nice breakdown Phat. Good stuff. Do you know if there was a major bookmaker/numbers guy in Indiana in 1980? I went to newspapers.com to start searching for some articles to give me a starting point but couldn't find much on illegal gambling in 1980.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 1980 Pittsburgh Chart

Post by phatmatress777 »

JCB1977 wrote:
JCB1977 wrote:

Nice breakdown Phat. Good stuff. Do you know if there was a major bookmaker/numbers guy in Indiana in 1980? I went to newspapers.com to start searching for some articles to give me a starting point but couldn't find much on illegal gambling in 1980.
Ill ask my mom. Im sure there were. My dad would have had more knowledge of all this but he has passed on.

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 1980 Pittsburgh Chart

Post by JCB1977 »

phatmatress777 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 am
JCB1977 wrote:
JCB1977 wrote:

Ill ask my mom. Im sure there were. My dad would have had more knowledge of all this but he has passed on.

Sorry to hear about your Pops. I would assume there had to have been a bookmaker there but I would also suspect that Indiana County would have been overseen by either Joe Regino or Jack Verilla out of Altoona/Johnstown because of its close proximity. It also wouldn't surprise me if Michael Gulino oversaw gambling activity in Indiana, but I don't know who his operative would have been there. By 1985, Michael Gulino assumed control of all of Joe Regino's gambling in Johnstown.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Here is what I found for Indiana County, PA:

On February 8, 1977...Wayne Fumea and Albert Fulvio, both of Blairsville, were arrested for sports bookmaking, pool selling and lottery at Mike' Tavern in Blairsville. In September of 1977, they were sentenced to 3 years probation and court costs after pleading guilty. If you have a newspapers.com subscription, you could find article in the Indiana Gazette. Chances are, they were still operating in 1980.

In November of 2011, Wayne Fumea of Blairsville, 65 years old, was sentenced to prison for perjuring himself while on trial for mortgage fraud. He was buying a bunch of properties in Braddock, McKeesport, Pittsburgh and Blairsville. He was using fraudulent financial info, fake appraisals through Precision Mortgage Company.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Indiana County in the 1960's:

Sam Trimarchi-Owner of Union Hotel, alleged gambling operator

Dan & Albert Madoni- Laid off action to Vance Murphy in Pittsburgh

Steve Balogh- Took bets on horse racing

Bill Thomas- Owner of Uncle Bill Amusements, vending machines

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Post by phatmatress777 »

JCB1977 wrote:Indiana County in the 1960's:

Sam Trimarchi-Owner of Union Hotel, alleged gambling operator

Dan & Albert Madoni- Laid off action to Vance Murphy in Pittsburgh

Steve Balogh- Took bets on horse racing

Bill Thomas- Owner of Uncle Bill Amusements, vending machines
I know sam trimarchi and bill they were both friends of my family. The union hotel was a nasty angry place. The trimarchi fam is old money around here.

phatmatress777
Full Patched

Post by phatmatress777 »

Did plans for this die on the vine?

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

phatmatress777 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:17 am Did plans for this die on the vine?

Not at all...It'll take a bit of time. The Governor is busy with NY project and I can't commit to getting it done ASAP. I work in clumps

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 am
phatmatress777 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:17 am Did plans for this die on the vine?

Not at all...It'll take a bit of time. The Governor is busy with NY project and I can't commit to getting it done ASAP. I work in clumps
It does takes quite Of bit of time to get it completed. When U get a chance Can update the picture needed list ?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Stroccos wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:58 am

It does takes quite Of bit of time to get it completed. When U get a chance Can update the picture needed list ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:30 am Image
Stroccos wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:58 am

Thank you, we have this photo. If you go back in earlier threads, I listed a bunch of pictures we need.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP