General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Ivan »

I can't believe I'm defending Slim Shady but I agree with Sonny.

The poor kid was just wondering if it ever came out if Carlo ever expressed an opinion about Roy. I'd be shocked if Carlo knew Roy existed, but it's not a dumb subjective survey question.

We've all bitched at him to keep that sort of thing in this thread and he is complying. SLIM DID NOTHING WRONG!
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Anyone know if a family’s boss still attends making ceremonies? Ik bosses like barney r very secretive and like to use street bosses, but does a family boss still conduct a making ceremony?
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

slimshady_007 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:10 am Anyone know if a family’s boss still attends making ceremonies? Ik bosses like barney r very secretive and like to use street bosses, but does a family boss still conduct a making ceremony?
I think only a recently made man or somebody who's at least currently a capo would know such a thing. For us mere mortals, the only thing to do is wait until there will be another big case in one of the Five Families with a major turncoat..
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I don't know about now but looking at the Colombo, Bonanno and Genovese ceremonies from the 2000s we see that the Acting Boss more often than not attended the ceremonies. I doubt very much that has changed in that regard.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 am I don't know about now but looking at the Colombo, Bonanno and Genovese ceremonies from the 2000s we see that the Acting Boss more often than not attended the ceremonies. I doubt very much that has changed in that regard.

Pogo
What do you know about the Colombos' acting boss not attending the ceremonies, P?

Also, Slim, a recent example with the Bonannos is the fact that an acting capo conducted a making ceremony in Canada with no finger-pricking, gun, cards, or any of the other ceremony staples. The Colombos, we know, at least still use a gun and conduct it at a private location, although Larry Mazza claimed that they didn't use a needle to prick fingers because of the threat of AIDS - Greg Scarpa in particular was present at Mazza's unofficial 1992 ceremony at the back of a diner with no needle, gun, or anything like that IIRC.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

gohnjotti wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 pm What do you know about the Colombos' acting boss not attending the ceremonies, P?

I was saying that he attended most of the ceremonies from 2000-2009.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm
gohnjotti wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 pm What do you know about the Colombos' acting boss not attending the ceremonies, P?

I was saying that he attended most of the ceremonies from 2000-2009.

Pogo
Oh, my bad. I misread your post.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

I have a question, hope this is the right thread to ask. About Al Capone and his imprisonment in Alcatraz: in your opinion, what was the formal/official reason for transferring him in a maximum-security prison? I mean, of course he was dangerous and deserved to be there; but from the formal point of view, he was convicted only for a non-violent crime (tax evasion), so his lawyers theoretically could have appealed against him being put in Alcatraz, arguing that “there was no proof he was dangerous, the only thing proven was that he hadn’t paid his taxes” etc.

Same question about Mickey Cohen: he too was put in Alcatraz after a tax evasion conviction, yet how did they manage to put him there, when theoretically the fact of him being convicted for a non-violent crime didn’t warrant imprisonment in a maximum-security prison, it was a good excuse for his lawyers to appeal against the decision?
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 pm I have a question, hope this is the right thread to ask. About Al Capone and his imprisonment in Alcatraz: in your opinion, what was the formal/official reason for transferring him in a maximum-security prison? I mean, of course he was dangerous and deserved to be there; but from the formal point of view, he was convicted only for a non-violent crime (tax evasion), so his lawyers theoretically could have appealed against him being put in Alcatraz, arguing that “there was no proof he was dangerous, the only thing proven was that he hadn’t paid his taxes” etc.

Same question about Mickey Cohen: he too was put in Alcatraz after a tax evasion conviction, yet how did they manage to put him there, when theoretically the fact of him being convicted for a non-violent crime didn’t warrant imprisonment in a maximum-security prison, it was a good excuse for his lawyers to appeal against the decision?
Now that is a good question, unlike a few of the others in this thread. lol
Capone originally went to the Atlanta Penitentiary. He was transferred to Alcatraz because of accusations (that were apparently proven) that he was receiving preferential treatment. Don't know about Mickey Cohen.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

gohnjotti wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:08 am I'm with @Sonny on this one.
I think Slim was just wondering if there was anything in any files whatsoever linking Carlo to Roy or describing what Carlo's opinion on Roy was. Maybe Slim should have phrased it better. That's all. A simple "No, there's nothing linking Gambino or DeMeo together" would have probably answered his question. This is the "General Mob Questions" thread. In my opinon, it's fine to ask small, trivial questions like that. If Slim made a whole thread around it then fine, that's cause for concern, but asking a harmless question like that doesn't hurt anybody, in my humble opinion.

Slim's question is not comparable to questions such as "Whose the coolest mobster ever" or "Which family has the most guns" because Slim's question has an easy answer: "No, I've never seen anything linking Roy DeMeo to Carlo Gambino." This is the General Mob Questions thread after all.
You're right. But for me, who has been here since the begining and who have noticed a declare in quality, its disapointing and frustrating. Back then we had quality and not quanity and I think all the old posters agree. The first day I became mod, I promisd that this forum would not turn into another gangsterbb because mainly we were all frustrated over the bad quality of posts made over there (there were some political issues as well that were addressed). Although im not a mod any longer, I still have it in me that the quality of posts must be maintained. A question asked that can not be answered by any of us frustrates me and I get carried way I guess. No insults from my part was intended. Slim, keep on posting and I'll try to read your posts with litle less through a (former) moderator's eyes.
There you have it, never printed before.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Confederate wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:23 pm
HairyKnuckles wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:35 am
slimshady_007 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:46 am Anyone know what Carlo Gambino thought of Roy DeMeo?
He absolutely loved him like a son. Carlo wanted Roy to marry his only daughter. :roll:

Jesus Christ, Slim, Post this question over on GBB, you might get an answer over there.
Completely disagree HK. I think it’s a relevant and interesting question.

We know Demeo was very close to Castellano. Demeo was close to Gaggi who took over Castellanos crew. Castellano, being a relative of Gambino and having Gaggi as his successor and also utilized Demeo as his enforcer. I think it’s a worthwhile question.
I think what HK means is that these idiotic questions that can never be answered are a waste of time and sound amateurish. How the fuck would anyone ever know what Carlo Gambino thought of someone. Carlo Gambino was never caught on Tape in his whole life. I don't think he did any newspaper or television interviews.
Also, any competive questions are also ridiculous like "Which mobster was the most powerful" or "Which Family made the most money" or "Which mobster was the most feared" are all on the level of a junior high school kid. This is what seperates this Forum from GBB. You can look at that Forum without belonging to it and I think you'll see what I mean.
Carlo was caught on tape whole on vacation in Florida. It's mostly him and his wife being an old miserable married couple. Lol and her dislike for Jews.

As far as the question goes, I doubt Gambino even knew who Roy was. IIRC what actually got Roy close to the family was bringingbthe Westies into the fold, and I don't think that happened till the early 80s. This came off a documentary so it could be completely made up. I still doubt if Carlo even knew who Roy was though.
Last edited by DPG on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Is there anything that links Mickey Cohen to the east coast at all? During the 1951 hearings(I can't spell Kaevafer?) mobsters openly admitted know other mobsters from around the country, but I've yet to come across a single example of any saying they know Cohen. I've never read his book but I would guess thats where all the 'I took over for Bugsy' stuff comes from.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

DPG wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:16 am Is there anything that links Mickey Cohen to the east coast at all? During the 1951 hearings(I can't spell Kaevafer?) mobsters openly admitted know other mobsters from around the country, but I've yet to come across a single example of any saying they know Cohen. I've never read his book but I would guess thats where all the 'I took over for Bugsy' stuff comes from.
He's from Brooklyn I believe.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 am
DPG wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:16 am Is there anything that links Mickey Cohen to the east coast at all? During the 1951 hearings(I can't spell Kaevafer?) mobsters openly admitted know other mobsters from around the country, but I've yet to come across a single example of any saying they know Cohen. I've never read his book but I would guess thats where all the 'I took over for Bugsy' stuff comes from.
Wasn't he gone before he was even 10 years old tho? I guess I worded it wrong, links to east coast syndicate guys?
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

DPG wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 am
[/q
Wasn't he gone before he was even 10 years old tho? I guess I worded it wrong, links to east coast syndicate guys?
Yes I believe you are right.
And ik what u were asking I guess it was stupid answer .
I wish gangster squad was better....
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.