Galante as "boss" and his murder

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Galante as "boss" and his murder

Post by Angelo Santino »

So who was Profaci's legitimate successor then?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:46 pm So who was Profaci's legitimate successor then?
They didn't have an official boss from the time of Profaci's death until Joe Colombo was selected. Side note, but apparently the Commission didn't allow members to "campaign" for boss, so Colombo did this secretly ala Gotti and Massino. Even though bosses were voted in by the membership historically, I would guess that in many cases things were arranged behind the scenes and the voting was just a formality. Because the consigliere was voted in, too, I'm reminded of Riccobene being recorded telling Scarfo, Testa, etc. that he never remembers more than one candidate for consigliere in his time, indicating that the voting may have been a formality for selecting the consigliere as well.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

Do we know why/how the Zips were brought in on the Galante murder? From what I recall, he had a strong relationship with them going back to the 57 Palermo meeting, and they were were ostensibly his bodyguards the day of, and I would assume well before his murder.