Chicago Outfit Induction Ceremony - Conclusion?!

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago Outfit Induction Ceremony - Conclusion?!

Post by Wiseguy »

Confederate wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:17 am
Snakes wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:15 am I think the bosses also had some autonomy to make people but were told to make it pretty exclusive. Also, anyone they made most likely had to be vetted by the top admin or other bosses. Because of the exclusivity of the various crews, perhaps it explains why guys like Frank Sr or Tocco were made years after we expected them to. The Outfit had less than 50 made guys on their rolls in the mid eighties, and this was before all of the big indictments went down.
I think it was more like 60 made guys in the 80's especially since Nick Calabrese gave that number and that might have been even later than the eighties when he made that estimate. Anyway, I agree with what you said about the autonomy, the bosses and the vetting by the very top. All good points that are spot on in my opinion.
As far as Frank Sr. or Tocco, let's just say they were already in position and nothing changed for them in Chicago from 1982 to 1983 if you catch my drift. They may have gone through that Ceremony much later than we expected because it wasn't urgent and it happened when the Top Bosses happened to get around to it. The only difference was that maybe now in 1983 they could be recognized by somebody in another Family if need be as a made guy in the National La Cosa Nostra with a proper introduction from someone.
A 1984 government report had the Outfit at 46 members. Another report in 1987 had it at 51 members.
All roads lead to New York.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Yeah, I was going to reference that report. It identified 46 made guys in five different crews. The five street bosses known to the FBI at the time were Ferriola, LaPietra, Lombardo, Solano, and Pilotto, although two of those were imprisoned and another under indictment.

This was right when the FBI began making another big push to identify Outfit members (the first was in the late fifties and early sixties), so it's possible that a few were unaccounted for.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:15 am I think the bosses also had some autonomy to make people but were told to make it pretty exclusive.
Thats another good point

Also Ferriola and LaPietra were quite close and your last statement again might explain the West/South/North/Heights theory which later simplifies on only three parts since the Heights crew went under the South Side group while the Cicero area switched in different groups, mainly west and south, through out the decades.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10