"This is for you Frank"

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: "This is for you Frank"

Post by B. »

Chicago wrote:Hey Mr. B,
Who's arguing?? What are you talking about?
All I said is that in Chicago they usually kill someone for a botched hit. That's all. So what?
I didn't say Chicago was bigger or greater or anything of that nature. :lol:
I was only relaying what I saw that was different in this one case.
No big deal.
No worries then.
Lou_Para
Straightened out

Post by Lou_Para »

B. wrote:Where does the "This is for you, Frank" line originally come from? A witness?

Like a lot of the more famous stories from mob lore, I question how much of this hit attempt went down the way it's been described. I don't have anything that disagrees with the established story except gut feeling.

As for the Chin, not only did he go on to become a power in the family and eventually a feared boss, but he was also alleged to have been involved in other murder contracts in later years, so apparently they didn't lose faith in his ability to take care of a problem.

As for the "Chicago would have never let this happen" type stuff, please save it. That's how useless arguments get started around here. We're sharing info on the mob, not comparing deep dish to NY style pizza.
I believe that the doorman of the Hotel was the one who provided the Police with the statement by Chin at the time of the shooting. When Chin was brought to trial, the Doorman was also called to testify,but couldn't make a positive ID of Vinnie as the gunman.
Between the shooting and the trial,Chin had lost a ton of weight,and the Doorman wasn't able to say for sure that it was the same guy.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

B. wrote:Where does the "This is for you, Frank" line originally come from? A witness?

Like a lot of the more famous stories from mob lore, I question how much of this hit attempt went down the way it's been described. I don't have anything that disagrees with the established story except gut feeling.
Well, that´s how it was described in Selwyn Raab´s Five Families. As his source/s, Raab cites NYPD reports, trial testimony and articles found in NY Times describing the shooting of Costello. He doesn´t specify though where exactly the info comes from. And this is a frequently occurring "problem" with his otherwise, close to excellent book btw. (That´s something to keep in mind.)
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

HairyKnuckles wrote:

Well, that´s how it was described in Selwyn Raab´s Five Families. As his source/s, Raab cites NYPD reports, trial testimony and articles found in NY Times describing the shooting of Costello. He doesn´t specify though where exactly the info comes from. And this is a frequently occurring "problem" with his otherwise, close to excellent book btw. (That´s something to keep in mind.)
It's been years since I sat down and read Five Families and it's a solid book overall, but when I've flipped through it the last couple of years I've seen some mistakes. I've got no reason to disagree with what he says, though... just when it comes to the more famous mobsters and especially when murder contracts are involved, I tend to be skeptical of the narrative that gets presented in the media.
Mukremin
Straightened out

Post by Mukremin »

B. wrote:
HairyKnuckles wrote:

It's been years since I sat down and read Five Families and it's a solid book overall, but when I've flipped through it the last couple of years I've seen some mistakes. I've got no reason to disagree with what he says, though... just when it comes to the more famous mobsters and especially when murder contracts are involved, I tend to be skeptical of the narrative that gets presented in the media.
I am reading through it again, so feel free to ask any questions regarding the book and info on it.

Was Artuso one of the shooters on the Castellano hit?
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Was Artuso one of the shooters on the Castellano hit?
I think he was one of the four designated shooters but he never fired any shots. I think his gun jammed or something? I could be wrong though.
There you have it, never printed before.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Chicago wrote:In Chicago, there have been a few instances where guys were killed for a botched hit.
One example was Campise & Gattuso from the North Side Rush/Street Crew.
They were both killed because of the botched hit on Ken Eto.
I was thinking about them after I wrote it. Their bodies were found a week later in the trunk of a car because of the smell. Footage of this is shown in Crime Inc.
Last edited by Lupara on Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lou_Para
Straightened out

Post by Lou_Para »

Chicago wrote:Lou, Do you know JCB? He is a big Pittsbugh/Cleveland guy.
I only know him from the Boards,but I always enjoy his contributions.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Lou Para/MPL0215 are right. The Majestic apartment doorman Norval Keith testified at the trial that he heard Gigante utter that phrase.

To undermine Keith's testimony, Gigante's attorney accused him of being an alcoholic. Keith, the attorney charged, "had DTs (the shakes from alcoholic withdrawal) right here in this court room on the stand." Keith also "possesses a reddened nose that shows 'like a beacon light on the foggy ocean.'"

The prosecutor defended Keith by saying, "He's a Scotchman who likes a drink of scotch at night-and so do I."
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

In Joe Bonnanos book, I forget the exact wording, but he pretty much said it was inconceivable that Gigante would have a career after such a failure....

Now remember, we are talking Vito here. Now he was undoubtedly a stone cold gangster, but he also took a known pedophile as his protege, killed his wife's husband so he could marry her, ( and she was apparently gay, so she probably didnt even really want him, actually, it's a little pitiful..) just mob cronyism at its finest, lol
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Look at his arch rival....

Gottis hit on McBratney was a shit show too....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Someone, ( actually, most likely B.) posted some notes awhile back..

They had Gagliodotto, a STONE killer, beating Gigante in public for such a terrible piece of work.... correct?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

not beating, berating