Are the Bonnano's and Gambino's backing The Violi Hamilton Ndrangheta Clan in the Canada War?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Slumpy
Straightened out

Re: Are the Bonnano's and Gambino's backing The Violi Hamilton Ndrangheta Clan in the Canada War?

Post by Slumpy »

I don't think he has any power now, from where would it be derived? He's still got 12 years on a 14 year sentence and he's 66 years old. He'll be in his late 70's by the time he gets out.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Re: Are the Bonnano's and Gambino's backing The Violi Hamilton Ndrangheta Clan in the Canada War?

Post by CabriniGreen »

That's a surprising opinion.... what would age have to do with connections and experience?

I feel like no one understands Canada, lol. They want to fit it into a neat little chart, as if charts are sacrosanct.

I mean come on, how old was Vito when he got out?

Did he slow down?

These peoples power comes from connections, and accumulated wealth, not what position they occupy on any chart....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Isn't this the same guy who got all kinds mob boss type privileges while locked up?

Or is it, you just think the underworld has realigned while he's been gone? I could see that...
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

I'm from Canada and lived in Montreal for a year.

Rizzuto was in a position of having an organization to carry out his orders and a standing that far exceeds what Desjardins could ever hope to achieve. It's a silly comparison. Desjardins' closest allies are dead and he has enemies everywhere. People in far less shitty circumstances have flipped; Desjardins is going to get out at 78 and won't have a mafia faction to murder his enemies for him. He'll have some of his wealth and perhaps some connections, but the criminal landscape can change a lot over 14-15 years. His "position on the chart" is literally what gave him his power and respect, he was trying to take over the Montreal Mafia for the express purpose of changing his position on said chart.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Fair enough, but this is a guy who held power in an Italian criminal landscape, without being Italian.

I would think he brought a little more to the table besides JUST being Vitos buddy.....

But you are from up there, so I gotta defer
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

But I whole heartedly disagree on the chart thing..

I think this is where ya'll really get it fucked up.

Again, a " CHART" , would have Vito as a lowly soldier...
One thing living in Illinois teaches you is there is a difference between rank and power.
There are CITY ALDERMAN with more connections and power than the governor....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Again, a chart would have the Frenchman as an associate, but that's incredibly misleading to what his ACTUAL power was.....
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Also, you do realize the Frenchman was part of Vitos power base.right?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Big problem I have us how you describe the Frenchmans power, it's like a bookish persons idea of how power works...."his position on the chart gave him his power AND respect?" Yall REALLY DO think charts are sacrosanct...lol
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

With LCN (Rizzuto) it’s the organization which gives one power. Not the indervidual. Personally I can’t see what organization (faction) Desjardines has to draw his power from, now or especially in 12 years time. He’s not even Italian.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

I'm not saying his only ability was being Vito's buddy and I don't think Vito would have kept him around for that reason anyway, but his relationship with Vito is what gave him access to product and his association to the Mafia is where his power was derived. As an individual, with no backing, whilst having made enemies of two powerful criminal organizations (The Rizzutos and the Hells Angels - who are the most prolific OC outfit in the country), he is not in the same position he was prior the Montagna conflict.

These things don't happen in a vacuum and there's a reason the Rizzutos set up shop in Montreal, because Canada is not the US and there will never be land routes smuggling drugs into Canada - That is a one way street. Canada's singular land border is shared 100% with the US and nobody is going to smuggle drugs through the US to deliver them to a much smaller market at a much greater risk. So understanding this, there are really only two options for smuggling drugs into the country, and that is through major commercial ports. Canada has two provinces which facilitate this kind of transportation: Quebec and British Columbia (currently largely ran by Chinese gangsters). That is why Montreal is the lynch pin to the Mafia's smuggling operations and why it is so hotly contested.

With or without Desjardins the Rizzutos would have been a powerhouse in the drug trade, by virtue of their control over the eastern ports, and you can believe whatever you want about Desjardins, but he relied on the Mafia far, far more than the Mafia relied on him.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

+1 slumpy. Good post.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

I also believe that once the Mexican Cartels started to facilitate the movement of Cali Cartel product from South America, that Montreal very suddenly became much less important to the US drug trade. It was the exact same product, but the Mexicans could move vastly larger quantities via their land routes than could be smuggled into Canada by ship and then smuggled again over the US border.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

(but that is 100% speculation on my part)
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Are the Bonnano's and Gambino's backing The Violi Hamilton Ndrangheta Clan in the Canada War?

Post by Lupara »

Slumpy wrote:I sometimes question why Desjardins doesn't just flip, what's he got to lose at this point?
I think he's a very vain and proud guy who worries about his reputation. He has also groomed some up and comers in the mob such as Mirarchi. I think he'll never flip.