"This is for you Frank"

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

"This is for you Frank"

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Is it just me or do you guys also think that the botched hit on Frank Costello was extremely sloppy?

- Vincent Gigante calls on Frank to get his attention before he shoots. (What a sneak up huh?)
He fires only one shot and the bullet only grazes scalp of Costello. He does not fire a second shot but runs out of there, perhaps in panic. Did the gun jam? Where was the back up shooter?

- According to some accounts, two men were sitting in the drive away car when Gigante entered into it and it sped away. So the hit team consisted of two get away drivers and only one shooter (!) Wtf...?!

- The doorman, when going through mug shots, immediately recognizes and identifies Vincent Gigante, a somewhat well known former professional 220 pounder boxer, as the shooter. Apparently Gigante used nothing to disguised himself. No sunglasses, no handkerchiefs, no hat, no fake mustache or fake beard (whatever). How smart was Gigante really?

The whole hit is just like a scene from "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight". Do you agree?

There you have it, never printed before.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: "This is for you Frank"

Post by Lupara »

Perhaps it was only meant as a warning? Frank had a lot of respect. I know you guys are going to say that it was wouldn't been a very risky shot but still... It's just a little too sloppy for someone who would continue to rise through the ranks all the way to becoming boss.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Lupara wrote:Perhaps it was only meant as a warning? Frank had a lot of respect. I know you guys are going to say that it was wouldn't been a very risky shot but still... It's just a little too sloppy for someone who would continue to rise through the ranks all the way to becoming boss.
I find it very hard to believe that the shooting of Costello was just meant to be a warning. An underling does not do that to a boss. Normally that would be more fearsome for the assailants than killing him. In order to keep the peace, the vast majority of the Commission members sided with Genovese, except for Anastasia. According to Valachi, right after the attempted hit on Costello, Genovese took to his Atlantic Highlands home with some 40 men guarding him. I believe these precautionary measures would not have been necessary if Costello had been killed. The Commission would have sorted it out. But as long as Costello was still alive, Anastasia took up arms defending his close friend. Not even Genovese, I believe, would have wanted to go up against Anastasia. With this in mind, intentionally only grazing Costello and letting him live, would be a very stupid move. Besides, why shoot at Costello´s head in order to just scare him off if that was Genovese´s intention all along? A shot to the leg would have been much safer in my opinion (if Genovese didn´t want Costello to be dead.)
There you have it, never printed before.
Mukremin
Straightened out

Post by Mukremin »

It was meant to be fatal, but Gigante failed and lay low for a while.. He made a mess out of it :) still he became one of the most successful bosses.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I've wondered that too. How does a guy who fails to properly kill a guy, a guy who does everything wrong, get promoted? I can only guess that Genovese must have really liked him.
Mukremin
Straightened out

Post by Mukremin »

Do we have any info on guys getting clipped because of a failed hit?

I cannot imagine Genovese just wanted to give a message.... Like Hairy said, why the hell shoot his head? Or was Gigante an excellent shooter?

I still say it was meant to be fatal, it was an era where underbosses killed their bosses etc.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Chicago wrote:If it was meant to be fatal, had Gigante been part of the Outfit, he would have been killed for such incompetence.
I wonder if Gigante feared for his life after the failed hit?

I would have feared for my life.
I don't think he feared his life. He was Genovese's protégé. And you are right. Genovese wanted to kill Costello because he didn't think he would stepdown. Costello died in his own bed...Vito in a Cell. So I guess Costello got the last laugh there.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

I think it was meant to be fatal just for the fact it was a head shot, unless of course, he accidentally hit Costello in the head with the intention of missing altogether. Like maybe shooting above the head or something of that nature? But that's just too hard to believe. Either way, it was sloppy.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

I agree that it does very much seem that it was meant to be fatal. I was just speculating out loud for the sake of discussion. I think Genovese must have been furious after the failed hit. Because things still played out well Gigante was probably forgiven. It was a human mistake anyway. Gigante had probably already shown to be a capable leader and moneymaker. You don't just kill someone like that for a failed hit. How often have guys been killed for a failed hit? Hits sometimes fail for various number of reasons. It happens. Gigante probably thought he had hit Costello in the head. I can imagine the adrenaline he must have felt for hitting a boss.
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

I didn't think about this before but Gigante probably thought he killed Costello. lol.

Was it just one shot?
Lou_Para
Straightened out

Post by Lou_Para »

Gigante meant to kill Costello. The lucky break was when the Chin yelled "This is for you Frank",causing Costello to turn around and only get grazed by the shot. Had Gigante kept his mouth shut,the bullet probably would have been fatal. I say probably because the .22 cal slug circled around Frank's skull under the scalp and exited near his ear. A straighter shot may have done the trick.

Either way,Gigante was an idiot,first by warning Costello,then by using a .22 at a distance greater than 10 or 12 inches.

When Costello,stunned,fell down, Gigante thought that his victim was dead,and there was no need for another shot,so he split.

There was no need to punish Gigante for a botched hit because Costello's announcement that he was retiring (mainly because of the shooting) achieved Vito Genovese's goal. He didn't care how he got rid of Costello,so it was a win/win.

Getting Costello to quit was as good as the Chin killing him.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Where does the "This is for you, Frank" line originally come from? A witness?

Like a lot of the more famous stories from mob lore, I question how much of this hit attempt went down the way it's been described. I don't have anything that disagrees with the established story except gut feeling.

As for the Chin, not only did he go on to become a power in the family and eventually a feared boss, but he was also alleged to have been involved in other murder contracts in later years, so apparently they didn't lose faith in his ability to take care of a problem.

As for the "Chicago would have never let this happen" type stuff, please save it. That's how useless arguments get started around here. We're sharing info on the mob, not comparing deep dish to NY style pizza.
Lou_Para
Straightened out

Post by Lou_Para »

Willie "Potatoes" Daddano had Sal Moretti tortured and shot to death over a botched hit on Leon Marcus.
Marcus was a crooked banker who was facing trial over some "irregularities".
He also had done some business with Sam Giancana,including a deal in which Momo had secretly bought a hotel.
Marcus asked Giancana to help fix his upcoming trial,and when Sam refused,Marcus threatened to go public with the purchase.
Daddano ordered Moretti to kill Marcus and retrieve the Bill of Sale that Marcus carried with him (as insurance).
Moretti killed him,but left the bill of sale on the body,which was found by the Police.
Momo got arrested and questioned. Nothing was proven,but it really embarrased Giancana in the public's eye.
When Moretti's horribly mutilated body was found,the only thing in the pockets was a metal comb.
This was a warning to other mobsters that when given a task,see to every detail. In other words,go over it with a "fine toothed comb".

By the way,I'm a Pittsburgh guy.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.