The Quiet Don

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

The Quiet Don

Post by UTC »

Reading a great book about Bufalino. Boy, what a time, he's the freaking Scranton/Wilkes Barre boss and he's Batista's buddy and minds his kids for summer vacations, has huge clout over the IBT Detroit local, gets a fee for every loan from the Central States Pension Fund, and many other rackets. Owns a bunch of clothing manufacturers in NYC as well as PA, as well as many other types of companies. Makes bosses in the NYC families now look like pikers.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: The Quiet Don

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
yatescj7781
Straightened out

Post by yatescj7781 »

You're not talking about that Matt Birkbeck book are you?
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

yes. BS?
yatescj7781
Straightened out

Post by yatescj7781 »

Yeah, this is my opinion and people might disagree. I found it to be not only boring, but so filled with blatant general inaccuracies that I could barely finish it. To me, the best books are by former mobsters with an established author collaborating with them. The Prince by Leonetti. Johnny Martorano book. Last good read was The Life by Larry Mazza.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

Then it's pretty ridiculous for someone who is known as a reputable investigative journalist. Must have fucked off doing it.
yatescj7781
Straightened out

Post by yatescj7781 »

UTC wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:45 pm Then it's pretty ridiculous for someone who is known as a reputable investigative journalist. Must have fucked off doing it.
I just have my memory of it. Was really disappointed, lot of shit about the Garment Industries, Medico's, etc. I found the read boring, but there were a few things in there that were way off base and someone of his "professionalism" should know. And I am not talking about his writing about Bufalino being acting Boss of the Genovese Family in the early 70s either. I'll re-read it in a couple days and give some examples.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

yatescj7781 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm Yeah, this is my opinion and people might disagree. I found it to be not only boring, but so filled with blatant general inaccuracies that I could barely finish it. To me, the best books are by former mobsters with an established author collaborating with them. The Prince by Leonetti. Johnny Martorano book. Last good read was The Life by Larry Mazza.
Reading the life now by mazza , I’m about half way through and it’s one of the best mob books I’ve read 👍🏼👍🏼 It’s defo a must buy
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

yatescj7781 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:31 pm
UTC wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:45 pm Then it's pretty ridiculous for someone who is known as a reputable investigative journalist. Must have fucked off doing it.
I just have my memory of it. Was really disappointed, lot of shit about the Garment Industries, Medico's, etc. I found the read boring, but there were a few things in there that were way off base and someone of his "professionalism" should know. And I am not talking about his writing about Bufalino being acting Boss of the Genovese Family in the early 70s either. I'll re-read it in a couple days and give some examples.
the Bufalino being boss of Genovese has been said a lot. in some documentaries as well.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

This book was not even close to being a biography on Bufalino. Wild inaccuracies.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
John W
Straightened out

Post by John W »

JCB1977 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:58 am This book was not even close to being a biography on Bufalino. Wild inaccuracies.
I thought it was terrible
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

I was disappointed overall. Seemed like all the info came from
newspaper articles & indictments. No insider info.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

There was some good stuff in it but I didn’t like how the book had more to do with Billy D’Elia and Louis DeNaples instead of the Quiet Don Russ Buffalino.

I was hoping for an in depth, never before seen biography on a very powerful and influential mob boss who many will debate about. Regardless of what people think, he was certainly an important OC figure in U.S Mafia history. I was expecting the focus on Bufalino and his roots in Sicily, many relatives who were big in the Sicilian Mafia and so forth. It just wasn’t what I expected, the title and hype was misleading IMO.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
yatescj7781
Straightened out

Post by yatescj7781 »

To my knowledge I can't think of any books that really go into depths about Bufalino. I mean one you can sink your teeth into. Just think of how influential he was. Major Teamster figure, apalachin, Cuba his contacts all over the country from Bruno to N.Y. bosses and Carlos Marcello. His Hoffa links.buffalo. his protege Billy Delia. Frank Sheeran. The beef with Napoli and having Fratianno involved etc. His garment business with N.Y. there is just so much depth to his career in organized crime.