Gambino Sicilian Faction General Discussion

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

jimmyb
Straightened out

Re: Gambino Sicilian Faction General Discussion

Post by jimmyb »

CabriniGreen wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:11 am @Jimmyb

I think Iron Tower was before the Pizza Connection bust.......

Also, have you heard of Gaspare Mutolo? He got heroin from Thai sources, supplied the Cuntreras ring, and the Gambino ring. Is this what you mean?
Yeah I was thinking things over and the Pizza Connection convictions were around 1987 I think, but I think the Pizza Connection "investigations and indictments" are what disrupted the heroin supply, as early as 1984.

Yes, I've heard of Mutolo. The Sicilians bought opium from wherever they could, including Southeast Asia. I was specifically talking about the Detroit heroin pipeline. That opium was originally coming from the Middle East.

Investigators and journalists are definitely talking about the Sicilians trying to resuscitate the heroin trade---especially working with the Gambinos in NY. And in terms of the cocaine trade, the Sicilians play a secondary role. My understanding is that the 'Ndrangheta, through the Mexicans, arrange the cocaine shipments. This from the Council on Hemispheric Affairs report: "['Ndrangheta] let Cosa Nostra enter the business, and in doing so, made sure that he had two different drug-buying mechanisms able to operate in Italy. Whenever 'Ndrangheta could not assure financial coverage because of imprisonments or requisitions deployed by Italian police forces, the Sicilian Mafia would immediately be called int the drug trade from South America."

I posted links to these reports in the thread about mafia myths.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Yeah, the Zeta and Gulf cartels, from a base in NYC. This was a few years ago, they got multiple sources in South America. The Macri guy arrested in Brazil, what was his name, Morality in Uraguay. Have you heard of Guiseppe Spatola? He was supposed to be the Cosa nostra contact for cocaine. I assumed he was a Gambino/Palermo relative. You know if this is the case?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

CabriniGreen wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am Yeah, the Zeta and Gulf cartels, from a base in NYC. This was a few years ago, they got multiple sources in South America. The Macri guy arrested in Brazil, what was his name, Morabito in Uraguay. Have you heard of Guiseppe Spatola? He was supposed to be the Cosa nostra contact for cocaine. I assumed he was a Gambino/Palermo relative. You know if this is the case?
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

CabriniGreen wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am Yeah, the Zeta and Gulf cartels, from a base in NYC. This was a few years ago, they got multiple sources in South America. The Macri guy arrested in Brazil, what was his name, Morality in Uraguay. Have you heard of Guiseppe Spatola? He was supposed to be the Cosa nostra contact for cocaine. I assumed he was a Gambino/Palermo relative. You know if this is the case?
Yeah, I asked Felice about "Giuseppe Spatola" on page 7 of this thread. He's mentioned in that same report as Los Zetas' contact in Cosa Nostra. According to Felice Spatola died recently so not sure who the main Sicilian contact is now. I also wanted to know if he was related to the Gambino/Inzerillo/Spatola clan, but I think Felice said he was not.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

jimmyb wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:19 pm
CabriniGreen wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am Yeah, the Zeta and Gulf cartels, from a base in NYC. This was a few years ago, they got multiple sources in South America. The Macri guy arrested in Brazil, what was his name, Morality in Uraguay. Have you heard of Guiseppe Spatola? He was supposed to be the Cosa nostra contact for cocaine. I assumed he was a Gambino/Palermo relative. You know if this is the case?
Yeah, I asked Felice about "Giuseppe Spatola" on page 7 of this thread. He's mentioned in that same report as Los Zetas' contact in Cosa Nostra. According to Felice Spatola died recently so not sure who the main Sicilian contact is now. I also wanted to know if he was related to the Gambino/Inzerillo/Spatola clan, but I think Felice said he was not.
Jimmy, Were the Cherry Hill Gambinos members of the Gambino Family in New York OR were they members of a Mafia clan in Sicily so they could be on the receiving end from them. Sometimes it gets confusing because the Sicilian clans had actual relatives of theirs on the RECEIVING end of the Heroin BEFORE it got distributed to the next level.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

For the record Capeci identified Paul Semplice as a member of the Gambino Sicilian Faction.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

John Gambino was made in NY.

But I believe Rosario couldnt be because he was made in Sicily as well.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 am John Gambino was made in NY.

But I believe Rosario couldnt be because he was made in Sicily as well.
Yes someone correct me if I'm wrong, I believe John was made in Gambino Family. Rosario wasn't made in Gambino, but was made member of a Sicilian Family like you said.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

there i believe was also a third Cherry Hill Gambino wasn't there? Gieuseppe or is that Rosario?

the book Octopus: The Sicilian Mafia International Reach (not sure on exact title) by Claire Sterling was a pretty good book explaining the Heroin trade as well not just the Bonanno, but Gambino Zip factions. The info might be out of date, she was also a believer in the Red Invasion.

its interesting bc she brings up the Sicilians having a crew in Philly that was infiltrated by DEA.
-also interesting to note that the guy who flipped and intro the DEA to sicilian mafia members was more scared of the Philly mob (lead by Bruno at the time) then the Sicilians
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

how much interaction did the Bonanno zips have w the Gambinos?

itd be interesting to know Gambino Zip opnion on Galante murder?

I believe its already been mentioned but I know Bonannos got heroin from Badalmenti
and Gambino from Bontade and Spatolo/inzerillos (who I believe is Palermo)

As well.as what was Buscettas role dueing period?
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 am there i believe was also a third Cherry Hill Gambino wasn't there? Gieuseppe or is that Rosario?

the book Octopus: The Sicilian Mafia International Reach (not sure on exact title) by Claire Sterling was a pretty good book explaining the Heroin trade as well not just the Bonanno, but Gambino Zip factions. The info might be out of date, she was also a believer in the Red Invasion.

its interesting bc she brings up the Sicilians having a crew in Philly that was infiltrated by DEA.
-also interesting to note that the guy who flipped and intro the DEA to sicilian mafia members was more scared of the Philly mob (lead by Bruno at the time) then the Sicilians
Yeah, Joe Gambino is a third brother, he's made with the Gambinos, never gone above soldier though
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

TommyGambino wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 am
JeremyTheJew wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:16 am there i believe was also a third Cherry Hill Gambino wasn't there? Gieuseppe or is that Rosario?

Yeah, Joe Gambino is a third brother, he's made with the Gambinos, never gone above soldier though
Yeah you guys are right on. It's interesting (and a bit confusing), but in terms of the CH Gambinos John and Joe are members of the NY Gambino crime family, while Rosario is a member of the Passo di Rigano cosca I believe. Rosario is def made guy in Sicily, not NY either way. A number of government documents and news articles described Rosario as a made member of the NY Gambinos, but we know now that's not true.

And right, DEA infiltrated the CH Gambinos in South Jersey/Philly. The agent was Frank Panessa. I've talked to him quite a few times. He also dealt with Amato and Bonventre from the Bonanno org. So yeah, the Bonannos and Gambinos were part of the same trafficking networks at times. Interesting note about Panessa: he would deal with Rosario directly, but John Gambino would never speak w/Panessa. Panessa was not "a friend of mine or ours" in others words, so John kept his distance (pretty smart actually).
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

jimmyb wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Yeah you guys are right on. It's interesting (and a bit confusing), but in terms of the CH Gambinos John and Joe are members of the NY Gambino crime family, while Rosario is a member of the Passo di Rigano cosca I believe. Rosario is def made guy in Sicily, not NY either way. A number of government documents and news articles described Rosario as a made member of the NY Gambinos, but we know now that's not true.

And right, DEA infiltrated the CH Gambinos in South Jersey/Philly. The agent was Frank Panessa. I've talked to him quite a few times. He also dealt with Amato and Bonventre from the Bonanno org. So yeah, the Bonannos and Gambinos were part of the same trafficking networks at times. Interesting note about Panessa: he would deal with Rosario directly, but John Gambino would never speak w/Panessa. Panessa was not "a friend of mine or ours" in others words, so John kept his distance (pretty smart actually).
I remember seeing Frank Panessa on some TV documentaries. He definitely mentioned the CH Gambino's,
but he talked about two other Sicilians that he dealt with regularly. They did show film of a guy going to
Brooklyn and getting a key to bring back to Philly. The survelillance team said he was carrying it in a wrapped birthday present box, which I thought was a good thing to carry it in. The guy who delivered the key disappeared he said, and was never heard from again? Anyway, you speaking to Agent Panessa is very cool. Think you could get him to post stories here?
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

jimmyb wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm

According to Leonetti, Scarfo told him that he was introduced to Rosario Gambino in the 1970s as an amico nostra by, I believe, Angelo Bruno, which led to Scarfo incorrectly believing that Rosario was a member of the Gambino family. Later, in the 1980s, Rosario was involved in a beef with members of the Philly family which led to a sitdown between Scarfo and Gotti, where Gotti told him that Rosario was in fact a member of the Sicilian mafia, not the Gambino family. Leonetti claimed that John Gambino was always known to him as a member of the Gambino family.

I'm not sure if Gotti recognized Sicilian membership, but we know that Angelo Bruno recognized Sicilian membership as "the same thing" during his travels in Sicily as well as when Sicilian mafiosi visited Philadelphia. In addition, Bruno allowed John Stanfa to transfer from the Caccamo family to the Philadelphia family*. I'd be curious if Paul Castellano also recognized Rosario as an amico nostra, though it doesn't seem Rosario ever transferred. I believe that Castellano, himself from a line of Sicilian immigrant mafiosi, did recognize Sicilians like the Inzerillos and their people, which would include Rosario Gambino.

What's interesting is that aside from John Stanfa, the Philadelphia had virtually no zips in their family despite Bruno's open attitude toward the Sicilian mafia and the extensive contacts he made in Sicily during his stay there in the 1960s. He describes having dinner with dozens of high-ranking Sicilian mafia members in Palermo, for example.

* - An early 1980s government report claims that John Stanfa was originally inducted into the Sicilian mafia. Two decades later, his relative Nino Giuffre of the Caccamo family would flip and testify that John Stanfa sponsored him into the Caccamo family in the 1980s, when Stanfa was on the run following Bruno's murder I believe. Stanfa's brothers, father, and I believe other relatives were of course members of the Caccamo family as well.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Enzo Napoli was one of the key guys DEA dealt with I believe.
But I believe he was a Gambino who was working in Philly with the CH.

When xid John Gambino crew go from NJ/Philly to the Bk crew?