Merlino Trial thread

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

dixiemafia
Full Patched

Re: Merlino Trial thread

Post by dixiemafia »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:10 amAnyone think Merlino gets offered a super sweet plea to make this go away quietly?
Unless it's probation only, I don't see him accepting anything. That was the Feds best shot at a conviction.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Sonny Black
Associate

Post by Sonny Black »

Teddy Persico
Straightened out

Post by Teddy Persico »

The way you talk, you just confuse him.
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Dave Schratweiser reported over the weekend on his Twitter feed that Merlino and Feds ask for more time to discuss reaching a resolution. Deadline is now 4/9/18. Also, Onofrio entered a plea of guilty on two charges.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

dack2001 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:38 pm Dave Schratweiser reported over the weekend on his Twitter feed that Merlino and Feds ask for more time to discuss reaching a resolution. Deadline is now 4/9/18. Also, Onofrio entered a plea of guilty on two charges.
Wow. Great update mate.

Appreciated.
Last edited by SonnyBlackstein on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Just read Schrats tweet feed.

Onofrio has plead out. Merlino negotiating ‘resolution’ with feds.

Big news.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

This obviously leaves Merlino as the final defendant in the East Coast Cosa Nostra enterprise arrest of 46 inderviduals.
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

I wonder if by resolution it really means a sweet plea deal for Joey?
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Chucky wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 am I wonder if by resolution it really means a sweet plea deal for Joey?
of course it does. I think he would take some sort of jail time, a couple years maybe? But no supervised release or probation?
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Fughedaboutit wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:48 pm
Chucky wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 am I wonder if by resolution it really means a sweet plea deal for Joey?
of course it does. I think he would take some sort of jail time, a couple years maybe? But no supervised release or probation?
I recall the number 2years plea being offered early when it came out Rubeo went off the reservation. Something similar to that, maybe a little less.
Gives both parties what they want; the Feds get to walk away with a ‘win’ and without egg on their faces and Merlino gets two years on charges which should’ve sent him away for 20.
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Only way he gets two years is if he pleads to gambling and they limit the permissible sentencing range. I could see Merlino accepting a deal where the range is 6 months to 2 years on a gambling charge, no racketeering. Trying to find a way for Joey to plead without burying him as a three time loser under the guidelines will be tough.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:01 pm
Fughedaboutit wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:48 pm
I recall the number 2years plea being offered early when it came out Rubeo went off the reservation. Something similar to that, maybe a little less.
Gives both parties what they want; the Feds get to walk away with a ‘win’ and without egg on their faces and Merlino gets two years on charges which should’ve sent him away for 20.
However, depending upon the FINANCIAL AGREEMENT that Merlino has with Jacobs, if it doesn't cost Merlino a lot of money BECAUSE Jacobs gets in on some of the "legit" housing real estate deals that he expressed an interest in on a video, I would roll the dice again and make the Goverment prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt with 12 new jurors. In my opinion, it would be a hung Jury again. After two hung Juries, the Feds would most probably quit OR if they didn't and went for a THIRD trial, Jacobs would file a motion to dismiss based upon Malicious Prosecution and he most probably would win that argument.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Junior had to go to four.

Keep in mind the juror count was heavily in favour of conviction not acquittal.
That encourages the feds to push, not back off.
Which is exactly why Merlino is willing to talk I’d say.
the chin 123
On Record

Post by the chin 123 »

dack2001 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:20 pm Only way he gets two years is if he pleads to gambling and they limit the permissible sentencing range. I could see Merlino accepting a deal where the range is 6 months to 2 years on a gambling charge, no racketeering. Trying to find a way for Joey to plead without burying him as a three time loser under the guidelines will be tough.
i agree
accepting 2 years max for him will be worth it
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 pm Junior had to go to four.

Keep in mind the juror count was heavily in favour of conviction not acquittal.
That encourages the feds to push, not back off.
Which is exactly why Merlino is willing to talk I’d say.
That may be true, but getting the last 3 jurors out of 12 to agree is like getting blood out of a stone in criminal trial with an lying drug addict as one of the main witnesses. If it doesn't cost Merlino too much money out of pocket for the possible reasons stated above, I say go for it because the Prosecution will never win this case. There will always be 2 or 3 out of 12 that have reasonable doubt and won't cave in to the other jurors. The only thing that could change would be if the Prosecution comes up with NEW evidence that they have to share with Jacobs and use it as leverage in order to get Merlino to agree to some Jail time. However, I doubt it because they threw the kitchen sink at him and still came up short. lol
" Everything Woke turns to shit".