Merlino Trial thread

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Teddy Persico
Straightened out

Re: Merlino Trial thread

Post by Teddy Persico »

AndyHaHa wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 pm I feel like the biggest issue for the prosecution was according to available evidence the star witness Rubeo was a bigger scum bag than Merlino
Very true. We all know what Merlino has done, but as far as the case goes it was a drug taking, wife-beating, drug dealer who broke the rules of his cooperation agreement versus the boss of the philly family (which was irrelevant to the case) who ran sports betting and medical fraud. It would appear as if the wrong person was on trial.
The way you talk, you just confuse him.
Teflon john
Straightened out

Post by Teflon john »

Ivan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:38 pm
“Thank God for the jury,” Merlino said to reporters as he left the courtroom. He declined to answer further questions.
Should've said "Thank god for the American jury system. And an honest jury."

That would have been hilarious.
You are damn right,with a big shit eating grin,thats what he should have said. Man that would have been hilarious.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

The Prosecution could try this Case 20 times (which would never happen) and there would be 20 Hung Juries. Cannot win a case with Rubeo as a witness. Jacobs would use Rubeo's testimony he gave in the FIRST Trial every time in front of every new Jury. LOL
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

“Thank God for the jury,” Merlino said to reporters as he left the courtroom. He declined to answer further questions.

I'll bet he was referring to that. His uncle was in that case and my understanding is Merlino was a big Scarfo fan before his family got shelved.
santos
Straightened out

Post by santos »

Congrats to Joey, I would rather the government spend tax dollars on catching terrorists and paedos and the likes.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

All the money and time the Feds spent only moved Merlino up a few notches on his run as Philly boss, Now Merlino is forever deeply associated with the Genovese crime family as a East coast enterprise Boss, That pulled a 156 million dollar cream scheme wool over the Feds eyes ,
A Stand up guy that gets the best lawyers and not afraid to go to trial ,

When Merlino was arrested most posters had said he was done , Not to many made guys could pull this off for this long of time and stay on top in the feds face.....Well Done Joey Merlino Cheers
handy
Associate

Post by handy »

Its still about odd that no other Philly guys were apparently anywhere near this whole enterprise

Surely this has to be a first in Mafia history? - A Boss undertaking solo scams with non-family people
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

handy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 am Its still about odd that no other Philly guys were apparently anywhere near this whole enterprise

Surely this has to be a first in Mafia history? - A Boss undertaking solo scams with non-family people
That was never cleared up, and the lack of coverage of the case didn't help. We know Lancellotti and Grande came up to the Bronx with Merlino for a Christmas party at Parrello's place, and that Parrello met with Borgesi in Philly over some other scam they were involved with, not related to the compound cream scam.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Latest mob talk discussing the mistrial.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZMenbskUbA.

Nothing new.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Confederate wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:52 pm
SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 pm
dack2001 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:20 pm If you are Joey right now, you have to like where you are at but not out of the woods yet. Who knows, might be 11 to convict and 1 dissenter....but I doubt it. Reminds me of Uncle Joe's juries. Just a garbage case with no real investigative work. Whatever happened to building a case through evidence piece by piece, instead of just taking these rats at their word for everything?
Dack, UTC, sdeitche, if hung jury, will the Fed retry the case? Your opinions?
Probably at least one more time. Then, Jacobs will file a motion to dismiss. Judge will deny the motion and another Trial will take place. After a second Hung Jury, if the Government tries again, Jacobs will file another motion to dismiss based upon malicious prosecution since there have already been two hung Juries. Judge at that point will most probably grant Jacob's motion.
Thanks Confederate for the breakdown, JeffE
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Back to Florida:

Schrat:
@FOX29philly Sources: Merlino heads back to Florida for now.Due back in NY court room in two weeks.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:37 pm Back to Florida:

Schrat:
@FOX29philly Sources: Merlino heads back to Florida for now.Due back in NY court room in two weeks.
I wonder if he'll fly coach.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

cavita wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:04 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:37 pm Back to Florida:

Schrat:
I wonder if he'll fly coach.
No, He'll have Rubeo buy him a first class ticket using the Feds money. :mrgreen:
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
PHL_Mob
Straightened out

Post by PHL_Mob »

Teflon john wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 pm

You are damn right,with a big shit eating grin,thats what he should have said. Man that would have been hilarious.
Haha I thought the exact same thing... Scarfo walking out of the Falcone Trial acquittal saying "Thank God for the American jury system. An honest jury.". Joey should paint a liberty bell on his garage door like Scarfo did once he got back home from the Falcone trial. Side note, it sounds like the Christmas party the Joey brought Lance and Dom Grande up for was the the $25k party that the Feds paid for...
CatStevens9
Straightened out

Post by CatStevens9 »

I would be surprised if they retried him again. I think the main goal of the 2016 indictment was to target the upper echelon of the Genovese family and they were for the most part successful with that. I don't think the government has a hard on for Joey the same way they had for Gotti Jr. They should wait and build a stronger indictment against him which should also include some of the philly guys.