Merlino Trial thread

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

monarch
Honorary Member

Re: Merlino Trial thread

Post by monarch »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 pm Correct Mistrial. Schratweiser just tweeted:

.@FOX29philly Breaking News.Judge declares mistrial in Joey Merlino case. Jury can't reach verdict on 4 counts.#fox29
A complete waste of tax dollars and time but they'll get him eventually.

Judge declares mistrial in Joey Merlino case
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

.@FOX29philly Judge: both sides to report back March 6th on whether to retry the case. Hung on all 4 counts.#fox29
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
TJ
Straightened out

Post by TJ »

I am told 9 to 3 to convict
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

TJ wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:43 pm I am told 9 to 3 to convict
Source?
TwoPiece
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TwoPiece »

monarch wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 pm Correct Mistrial. Schratweiser just tweeted:

.@FOX29philly Breaking News.Judge declares mistrial in Joey Merlino case. Jury can't reach verdict on 4 counts.#fox29
A complete waste of tax dollars and time but they'll get him eventually.

Judge declares mistrial in Joey Merlino case
Complete. Waste.

If 9-3 to convict was the actual count even that surprises me, the government had a real weak case here.

So where does it go from here? Retrial or is he totally off the hook?
TJ
Straightened out

Post by TJ »

Depends on a ton of factors,.none the less does this district really want to puts its money into a retry with no guarantee? Dont forget he turned down short time so they know he will take it to trial..so i dont know, if philly usda id say retry, but up there,.toss up
jimmy_beans8
Straightened out

Post by jimmy_beans8 »

I would bet off the hook.....no fan but DAMN HE LUCKY.........GOtta give him credit.....he knew it along to stand trial. And to not even plea to 2/4 years
I been taught to listen to what's not said
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Feds might just throw in the towel on this one, they'll still get another shot at Merlino down the line. Aside from Merlino, they got what they wanted, 40+ guilty pleas.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Interesting wrinkle, administrations have changed since this case was initiated and these cases usually don't age well. Meaning unless they get someone else to flip or actually develop some real evidence, Joey will have a good shot next time. Otherwise you are just repackaging the same garbage. This will now head up the ladder to Washington to see if its a priority to try it again. Will be interesting because the guy who signed off on this case originally likely won't be the one making the decision to try it again. Different administration, different priorities. May decide it makes more sense to fold it into the open Philly case. May end up like the Vella case where we never hear from Rubeo again. Considering the get out of jail free card they gave that scumbag we could all be so lucky to live in the town he relocates to.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

@FOX29philly Tonight@10,The Merlino mistrial in NY.The former head of the FBI's Mob Squad on Merlino's future.#fox29
AndyHaHa
Associate

Post by AndyHaHa »

I wouldn’t be surprised if Philly hits him with an indictment soon, unless he’s been really careful with insulating himself from what goes on there
monarch
Honorary Member

Post by monarch »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:50 pm @FOX29philly Tonight@10,The Merlino mistrial in NY.The former head of the FBI's Mob Squad on Merlino's future.#fox29
Schratwieser didn't say anything that hasn't already been posted in this thread.

The former head of the FBI's Mob Squad said eventually Merlino will die of natural causes, die an untimely death or end up behind bars again.

philly.com:
“Thank God for the jury,” Merlino said to reporters as he left the courtroom. He declined to answer further questions.

“We would have been happier had Joey been found not guilty,” his longtime lawyer Edwin Jacobs said in a telephone interview after the ruling. “But any time a client leaves a serious criminal case without a guilty verdict it’s a good day. Not every jury can reach a unanimous verdict. This jury could not. We respect their efforts.”
AndyHaHa
Associate

Post by AndyHaHa »

I feel like the biggest issue for the prosecution was according to available evidence the star witness Rubeo was a bigger scum bag than Merlino
Teflon john
Straightened out

Post by Teflon john »

Makes me happy,it was a cooked up case with unreliable informants and to me it just looks like the Feds got a hard on for him just like they did for Gotti. A trial with no violence and no evidence except for the word of Rubeo is just a fkn waste of time and money. Spend our FBI tax money on terrorism until you have something significant on the guy,until then leave it alone. Joey Merlino and Russian investigations,what a fuckin waste of money.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

“Thank God for the jury,” Merlino said to reporters as he left the courtroom. He declined to answer further questions.
Should've said "Thank god for the American jury system. And an honest jury."

That would have been hilarious.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID