Merlino Trial thread

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Teddy Persico
Straightened out

Re: Merlino Trial thread

Post by Teddy Persico »

Sonny, your argument works both ways. Jacobs/Merlingolo now know how the Feds are going to play it and can be better prepared for it. And a second trial doesn't always work better for a government witness. Just look at bent finger Lou in the Philly trial. I'm also calling a hung jury on all counts.
The way you talk, you just confuse him.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:57 am
Confederate wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:40 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 pm A hung is by no means a win for Merlino.
The prosecution gets to fix the myriad of mistakes it made in this trial.
And Joey has to pay another $500k to Jacobs for another few months, which he probably doesn’t have.
Here's the other way to look at it:
A Hung is a PARTIAL win for Merlino.
The Prosecution CAN'T FIX a drug addict liar.
Nobody knows the financial arrangement Merlino has with his lawyer or how much money Merlino has at his disposal.

Better to roll the dice again then go to Jail for 20 years.....
Wether you like Merlino or don't like him is irrelevant. The POINT is that the Prosecution has a weak case that aint gonna get magically fixed........
Confed, youre one of my fav posters on this site. Always enjoy reading and learning something from youre posts.
That said, here, I have to disagree.
The prosecution cant fix Rubeo i agree, but they sure as shit can fine tune his responses. They now know what Jacobs is going to ask, his angles, his tricks. Jacobs has shown his hand and the government can coach Rubeo on how to handle this. Rubeo himself will feel more comfortable in the chair, wont be caught offguard, will be more relaxed, less emotional and more informed with responses. Rubeo WILL be a much better witness now that he has experience in what to expect.

The arrangement with Jacbos will CERTAINLY cost more money. He would've signed on for one trial. Another will certainly hit Merlino hard.

I agree the case is shite. But it HAS to be concerning that with a shite case, the Jury is deadlocked for three days. Merlinos case aint going to get better, only the G's.

Id say 75% chance conviction this trial, 90% the second.

And Im pulling for Merlino to walk. Why? Not because Im a fan boy, but as someone interested in the US LCN, is it more or less interesting with Merlino a player or not. Obviously a fuckload more interesting with Joey on the street. But personally I think the odds are fucked here. If it was what we were led to believe and the case was so bad, why a hung jury for so long? He didn't really say shit to Sylvia and if she was the only hold out she wouldve caved over three days, over a hello. So I think there's more to this case than we're hearing and he's fucked. And I'd honestly LOVE to see an acquittal.

Question: Anyone think Merlino will get a plea offer from the G if its a hung?
Okay Sonny, But you're forgetting one thing:
If there is a second Trial, Jacobs will have ALL of Rubeo's testimony in front of him FROM THE FIRST TRIAL. If Rubeo starts to change one thing, Jacobs will brand him a Perjuror and blow him out of the Courtroom. All Rubeo can do is wear a different coat and tie if he even owns one and try to look more relaxed. Jacobs will take Rubeo's testimony from the FIRST Trial and cram it down Rubeo's throat in front of the new Jury when he asks him the same questions.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Jury still deadlocked on all four charges
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Chucky wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:58 am Jury still deadlocked on all four charges
This damn judge should let these people call it today , enough of the jury’s time wasted
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Stroccos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm
Chucky wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:58 am Jury still deadlocked on all four charges
This damn judge should let these people call it today , enough of the jury’s time wasted
I'm sure he is going to make sure it's an adequate amount of time. So they can't say he didn't give proper time. But I'm sure if the jury says they will never change their opinion, he might call hung jury. They've been out how long now, a week or so, maybe he will give them another week.
monarch
Honorary Member

Post by monarch »

From @RealMobTalk7
1130 am Jury said they were at an impass and could not agree on any of the four charges.
The government wanted the jury to deliberate more. Judge agreed.
1245 the jury asked for Peter Lovaglio recordings, testimony and transcripts.
Odds are hung jury. Will depend on the govt if they wanna retry unless for some weird reason the jury finds an answer.
Unless anything major changes this is going to b a hung jury. I’m leaving court for the day. I could b wrong but I don’t see this budging whatsoever.
1:48pm
The hope is that, they will find Joey not guilty on three of four and hung on one. However with the jury stating deadlocked and disagreeing on all 4 counts I doubt much will change.
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Frank wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:48 pm
Stroccos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm
I'm sure he is going to make sure it's an adequate amount of time. So they can't say he didn't give proper time. But I'm sure if the jury says they will never change their opinion, he might call hung jury. They've been out how long now, a week or so, maybe he will give them another week.
He's not keeping them in another week, I'd be surprised if this goes beyond tomorrow (assuming it stays as is), end of the week tops.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Boy, where is this jury at in their deliberation if they want to listen to Lovaglio's worthless testimony?
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

dack2001 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:20 pm If you are Joey right now, you have to like where you are at but not out of the woods yet. Who knows, might be 11 to convict and 1 dissenter....but I doubt it. Reminds me of Uncle Joe's juries. Just a garbage case with no real investigative work. Whatever happened to building a case through evidence piece by piece, instead of just taking these rats at their word for everything?
Dack, UTC, sdeitche, if hung jury, will the Fed retry the case? Your opinions?
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 pm
dack2001 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:20 pm If you are Joey right now, you have to like where you are at but not out of the woods yet. Who knows, might be 11 to convict and 1 dissenter....but I doubt it. Reminds me of Uncle Joe's juries. Just a garbage case with no real investigative work. Whatever happened to building a case through evidence piece by piece, instead of just taking these rats at their word for everything?
Dack, UTC, sdeitche, if hung jury, will the Fed retry the case? Your opinions?
Probably at least one more time. Then, Jacobs will file a motion to dismiss. Judge will deny the motion and another Trial will take place. After a second Hung Jury, if the Government tries again, Jacobs will file another motion to dismiss based upon malicious prosecution since there have already been two hung Juries. Judge at that point will most probably grant Jacob's motion.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
dack2001
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by dack2001 »

Never out of the woods until the Judge dismisses the jury but if I was laying odds I would bet they go after him one more time. I think it depends on where the jury ends up...if its 10-2 acquittal and they have an actually philly indictment somewhere in the pipeline they may pass on it and let him get indicted in two years and throw some of this evidence in that indictment. They should have developed the case through a Philly indictment anyway.
TJ
Straightened out

Post by TJ »

Official,.its a mistrial,
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Figured it would end up in a mistrial. The Feds better arm up if they plan on going against him again if Rubeo is all they have...
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Correct Mistrial. Schratweiser just tweeted:

.@FOX29philly Breaking News.Judge declares mistrial in Joey Merlino case. Jury can't reach verdict on 4 counts.#fox29
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Carlo
Associate

Post by Carlo »

NEW YORK (AP) -- A judge has declared a mistrial at the New York City racketeering trial of a notorious Philadelphia mob boss.

The mistrial on Tuesday came after jurors told U.S. District Judge Richard Sullivan that they were hopelessly deadlocked in the case against Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino.

Prosecutors accused Merlino of muscling his way into gambling and health insurance schemes run by crime families on the East Coast. They said he demanded protection payments from bookies and other underlings running a scheme to collect thousands of dollars of insurance claims by bribing doctors to write phony pain cream prescriptions.

The defense told jurors that the 55-year-old Merlino was framed by turncoat mobsters. Merlino has claimed that he quit his life of crime after getting out of prison in 2011.