Current situation between LCN and Organizacija

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

paph
Associate

Current situation between LCN and Organizacija

Post by paph »

NYC is so Big and there is space for everyone.

But in detail , do anyone know something more?

tnx
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Current situation between LCN and Organizacija

Post by Wiseguy »

paph wrote:NYC is so Big and there is space for everyone.

tnx
I assume you mean "The Organizatsiya" or Russian organized crime.

I don't think there is really any specific "situation." The LCN and Russians, as well as other Eurasian criminal groups, move within their own spheres of activity and sometimes they do intersect. The predictions made 20 years ago about the "Russian Mafiya" taking over never came about and even former FBI Director Louis Freeh admitted that their original concerns weren't realized. As a 2011 article stated, the way the Eastern European crime groups organize themselves has prevented them from becoming the organized crime threat some thought they would. Their more horizontal, less hierarchical and fluid makeup makes them a more difficult (though not impossible) target for law enforcement. But it has also kept them from growing into the kind of organizations that are capable of challenging the LCN. And it seems they have no real desire to. I've read that something like 60% of the crimes the Eurasian criminal enterprises are involved in revolve around some kind of fraud, which they are especially good at. This either doesn't involve the LCN or, if it does, it's because the two have worked together for mutual profit in things like stock fraud or health care fraud. The Russian gambling bust back in 2013 was very much the exception to the rule as we just don't see the Russians or other Eurasian groups getting deeply involved in the rackets traditionally dominated by the LCN. In short, as you said above, NYC is big and there's space for everyone. Indeed, contrary to the "ethnic succession" theorists, the new groups, more than cutting into the LCN's share of the pie, have simply added to the overall level of criminality.
All roads lead to New York.
paph
Associate

Post by paph »

Wiseguy wrote:
paph wrote:NYC is so Big and there is space for everyone.

tnx
I assume you mean "The Organizatsiya" or Russian organized crime.

I don't think there is really any specific "situation." The LCN and Russians, as well as other Eurasian criminal groups, move within their own spheres of activity and sometimes they do intersect. The predictions made 20 years ago about the "Russian Mafiya" taking over never came about and even former FBI Director Louis Freeh admitted that their original concerns weren't realized. As a 2011 article stated, the way the Eastern European crime groups organize themselves has prevented them from becoming the organized crime threat some thought they would. Their more horizontal, less hierarchical and fluid makeup makes them a more difficult (though not impossible) target for law enforcement. But it has also kept them from growing into the kind of organizations that are capable of challenging the LCN. And it seems they have no real desire to. I've read that something like 60% of the crimes the Eurasian criminal enterprises are involved in revolve around some kind of fraud, which they are especially good at. This either doesn't involve the LCN or, if it does, it's because the two have worked together for mutual profit in things like stock fraud or health care fraud. The Russian gambling bust back in 2013 was very much the exception to the rule as we just don't see the Russians or other Eurasian groups getting deeply involved in the rackets traditionally dominated by the LCN. In short, as you said above, NYC is big and there's space for everyone. Indeed, contrary to the "ethnic succession" theorists, the new groups, more than cutting into the LCN's share of the pie, have simply added to the overall level of criminality.

i'm italian and i live here. i m so far from america , so I cant "hear" the street.

what interests me understand it is the dealing past,present and future between LCN and other organized crime group.
LCN isnt more first that reigned on the city or am i wrong???

tnx
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

paph wrote:i'm italian and i live here. i m so far from america , so I cant "hear" the street.

what interests me understand it is the dealing past,present and future between LCN and other organized crime group.

tnx
While the press, and especially the ethic succession in organized crime theorists, love to play up the angle about the LCN having conflict with other OC groups, there are far more examples of the LCN working with other groups for mutual profit over the years than of butting heads. Most of the conflict happened in the early years when you had the Irish, Jewish, and Italian groups fighting for territory before and during Prohibition. The Irish and Jews held power before the Italians did but the superior organization and viciousness of the Italians, as part of their criminal tradition, is what helped the LCN outlast the others. But even then you had plenty of examples of the Italians working with the other groups. And this continued through the years with the LCN supplying heroin to the blacks and later buying heroin and cocaine from the Chinese and Hispanics, selling Chinese groups video poker machines, partnering with the Russians in gas tax scams, partnering with Cubans in the numbers racket, operating gambling joints with Albanians, etc.
paph
Associate

Post by paph »

Wiseguy wrote:
paph wrote:i'm italian and i live here. i m so far from america , so I cant "hear" the street.

tnx
While the press, and especially the ethic succession in organized crime theorists, love to play up the angle about the LCN having conflict with other OC groups, there are far more examples of the LCN working with other groups for mutual profit over the years than of butting heads. Most of the conflict happened in the early years when you had the Irish, Jewish, and Italian groups fighting for territory before and during Prohibition. The Irish and Jews held power before the Italians did but the superior organization and viciousness of the Italians, as part of their criminal tradition, is what helped the LCN outlast the others. But even then you had plenty of examples of the Italians working with the other groups. And this continued through the years with the LCN supplying heroin to the blacks and later buying heroin and cocaine from the Chinese and Hispanics, selling Chinese groups video poker machines, partnering with the Russians in gas tax scams, partnering with Cubans in the numbers racket, operating gambling joints with Albanians, etc.

good

then according to you is LCN still on top n NYC?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

paph wrote:then according to you is LCN still on top n NYC?
I think a good argument can be made that the LCN is still the strongest OC group in the extended New York metropolitan area.