Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Frank
Full Patched

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Frank »

Thank you that's great info and definitely very interesting.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Where are you getting this information that Nick Rizzuto met with Montagna and sent word back? or that they're still sending envelopes back south? What's the source there?
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Lupara »

Slumpy wrote:Where are you getting this information that Nick Rizzuto met with Montagna and sent word back? or that they're still sending envelopes back south? What's the source there?
Montagna's dealings with Nick Rizzuto is described in Mafia Inc., Business or Blood, Cellule 8002 vs. the Mafia and several news articles, mostly in French.

The source of the Bonanno's dealings with Montreal post-Sciascia is Domenick Cicale, a Bonanno turncoat who was close to Basciano.

The source of Nick Rizzuto's remark about Montagna is Capeci:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/417688

Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Great info Lupara. With that info it certainly looks very possible that the Rizzuto hits were sanctioned by the Bonanno leadership at the time. Or certain faction of the Bonanno Family. It seems at the time that there was no acting boss named yet. Maybe a ruling panel at the time or leaderless. From what I remember after Montagna and before Baldalamenti there was a ruling panel. But the family seems fragmented.
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Lupara wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am
Slumpy wrote:Where are you getting this information that Nick Rizzuto met with Montagna and sent word back? or that they're still sending envelopes back south? What's the source there?
Montagna's dealings with Nick Rizzuto is described in Mafia Inc., Business or Blood, Cellule 8002 vs. the Mafia and several news articles, mostly in French.

The source of the Bonanno's dealings with Montreal post-Sciascia is Domenick Cicale, a Bonanno turncoat who was close to Basciano.

Capeci also reported this too, back in 2009:
Fueled by anger over the 1999 murder of capo Gerlando (George from Canada) Sciascia on orders of then-boss Joseph Massino, the elder Nicholas Rizzuto (right) has been acting more and more independently in recent years. Last year, when the family’s most recent street boss, Salvatore (Sal The Ironworker) Montagna, a Sicilian wiseguy with ties to onetime acting boss Vincent (Vinny Gorgeous) Basciano was deported to Canada, sources say Rizzuto let it be known that he wasn’t answering to Montagna.

“He sent back word that The Ironworker was a lightweight flunky” who had been aligned with a Massino-appointed crony “and wasn’t his boss,” said one knowledgeable gang land source.
https://www.ganglandnews.com/members/column669.htm
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Lupara wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks you, sir.
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

My mistake, Lupara already posted the same info.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

No problem fellas.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

I can read French passingly (Canadian who took a lot of french in school) if you guys come across any of those articles, if you don't mind, send 'em to me, because I'd love to read that. I've had some misconceptions of MTL's status that I'd like to clear up. Don't go out of your way, though.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

If he was in Montreal in 2011 I wonder whether he crossed paths with Montagna.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

Daniel Renaud's latest: an article about the imminent release of Vittorio Mirarchi.

La police aux aguets

http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/0b14646 ... ent=Screen
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Vittorio Mirarchi is already considered to be likely the next godfather of the Montreal Mafia by Montreal police.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/1 ... -de-prison
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

What do we know about Mirarchi? Is he a Rizzuto guy?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Slumpy wrote:What do we know about Mirarchi? Is he a Rizzuto guy?
He's a Desjardins guy. His father was connected to the Siderno group in Toronto. There's an article written about him a few years ago that describes his background and ties to the Commissos. I'll try to retrieve it. His father was also a friend of Raynald Desjardins and legend goes that before he died he asked the latter to look after his son and so Desjardins took him under his wing. Mirarchi seems to be well connected to people in Montreal as well as Toronto, but I doubt he has wide enough support and experience to be accepted as the new godfather. I think he has more change of getting killed but then again what do I know...

Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Thanks Lupara. Any idea if he's made?