Artie Nigro

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Artie Nigro

Post by Dwalin2014 »

I remember there have been discussions on RealDeal, including the one having as subject whether Artie Nigro had been the acting boss of the Genovese family or not. What do people here think about it? If he wasn't boss, but just a capo or whatever, who authorized the Adolfo Bruno hit then, did Nigro ask permission to somebody or was it his initiative all the same?

By the way, how could Nigro live in politically correct America without changing the surname? You can't use that word :) Same applies to Arnold Schwarzenegger.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Re: Artie Nigro

Post by HairyKnuckles »

How exactly the Genovese Family has been run the last 15 years is still somewhat of an enigma but according to available information, yes, Nigro was the acting boss. As such he had authority to call shots like that, unless of course the official boss (Gigante) restricted his power. I´m sure posters like Wiseguy and others can go into more detail about this.
There you have it, never printed before.
Costigan
Straightened out

Post by Costigan »

As far as his last name, yeah that's an odd one. I was watching a show on the tube other day, some travel channel show, and the host walks into a clothing store & it was "Nigro's Western Wear".
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Costigan wrote:As far as his last name, yeah that's an odd one. I was watching a show on the tube other day, some travel channel show, and the host walks into a clothing store & it was "Nigro's Western Wear".
I mean by itself the surname isn't weird, but it comes from a Latin word which sounds like the prohibited slang offensive term for a black person, only that in Latin it's with only 1 "g".
East Bronx
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by East Bronx »

There was a time where the word "****###" was considered perfectly acceptable. Same goes for "colored." These were actually the politically correct terms of their day. Liberals used them all the time. And if you ask me, they made a lot more sense than "African American." Because not all Blacks in America are African. There are a load of Blacks from the Caribbean Islands. And I realize that THEIR ancestry can be traced back to Africa, but so what?

It's politically correct nonsense. Every Black guy I know calls himself Black, not African American. White people don't actually have White skin anymore than Black people actually have Black skin. And I don't mind being called White, so what's their problem?

And this has nothing to do with Artie Nigro being a mob guy. But that'd be the day that I changed my family name because of a bunch of politically correct liberal hooey.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." ---- Rounders.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

East Bronx wrote:There was a time where the word "****###" was considered perfectly acceptable. Same goes for "colored." These were actually the politically correct terms of their day. Liberals used them all the time. And if you ask me, they made a lot more sense than "African American." Because not all Blacks in America are African. There are a load of Blacks from the Caribbean Islands. And I realize that THEIR ancestry can be traced back to Africa, but so what?

It's politically correct nonsense. Every Black guy I know calls himself Black, not African American. White people don't actually have White skin anymore than Black people actually have Black skin. And I don't mind being called White, so what's their problem?

And this has nothing to do with Artie Nigro being a mob guy. But that'd be the day that I changed my family name because of a bunch of politically correct liberal hooey.
I agree, it's just I mean the word "*****" or "niger" in Latin; "****###" is another one, an italian word. An African guy my parents worked with can't stand political correctness either and once said: "Io non sono Africano-Italiano! Io sono un ****###!" (I am not African-Italian, I am a ****###!)

And black people call each other n@#gers with no problem, right? At least in the series "The Wire"? Still, the characters don't get mad at each other.

By the way, in my opinion people aren't black and white, but pink and brown, unless there is something wrong with my sight :)

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree, political correctness has become a twisted opposite of itself time ago. I won't even talk about the homosexuality vs heterosexuality kind of thing, when being of a certain orientation (guess which one) nowadays gives you privileges and if you don't agree you are labeled a homophobe.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

I don´t understand people who won´t and can´t accept the word "****###" as a derogatory term for persons with African ancestry. Back in the day, ****### did not only describe an African man, but also an African man as filthy, who no matter how much he washed himself, could never get clean (white). The term may have been socially accepted 50 years ago, it´s not any longer. A big part of the combined forces fighting overseas, for America and for American lives, not only this very day but also in other American wars throughout history, are black American men and women. Do you call these fighters ######s too? Everybody are entitled to their opinion of course. But keep them to yourself. As long as I am a moderator on this forum, degrading people (or expressing a hint of favoring racism) just because the color of somebody´s skin, will not be tolerated around here. This is an open forum, everybody is welcome to join.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Chicago wrote:
HairyKnuckles wrote:I don´t understand people who won´t and can´t accept the word "****###" as a derogatory term for persons with African ancestry. Back in the day, ****### did not only describe an African man, but also an African man as filthy, who no matter how much he washed himself, could never get clean (white). The term may have been socially accepted 50 years ago, it´s not any longer. A big part of the combined forces fighting overseas, for America and for American lives, not only this very day but also in other American wars throughout history, are black American men and women. Do you call these fighters ######s too? Everybody are entitled to their opinion of course. But keep them to yourself. As long as I am a moderator on this forum, degrading people (or expressing a hint of favoring racism) just because the color of somebody´s skin, will not be tolerated around here. This is an open forum, everybody is welcome to join.
What are you talking about?? Where did you get the idea that the word "****###" meant an African man who could never wash himself clean?? Huh?
The word "****###" in America years ago and still today refers to Black people or African Americans. It may sound a bit outdated, but it is certainly not derogatory at all. It would be no different than referring to me as a "Caucasian".

If the word "****###" is derogatory, then why is there still the "United ****### College Fund " ??
They would have changed it to the "United African American College Fund" if the word "****###" was now all of a sudden derogatory!
I completely disagree with your assessment that the term "****###" is derogatory.

No offense, but that sounds like typical Politically Correct Nonsense Bullshit with no basis at all.
Do you understand at all why I made the post in the first place? The message is clear. Racism of any kind, degrading of someone just because the color of his/her skin, will neither be accepted or tolerated on here, no matter what term is used. This is not specifically directed to the posters in this thread but a heads up to EVERYONE on this forum. I´m sure eveybody understands when I say to keep your whatever racial prejudice you may have to yourself. It´s as simple as that. I am not going to debate you about this. There is no room or energy from my part to go back and forth on this. I´m deadly serious!
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

HairyKnuckles, I have never had problems with people of another skin color. One of my best friends is Chinese (who were called "yellow", like Africans "black" and Europeans "white"). I was just making joke of how politically correct people who have problems with those terms don't notice that some surnames are based on the same terms. If the joke was flat, ok. But I am not a racist, it shocks me if I made that impression.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

East Bronx wrote:There was a time where the word "****###" was considered perfectly acceptable. Same goes for "colored." These were actually the politically correct terms of their day. Liberals used them all the time. And if you ask me, they made a lot more sense than "African American." Because not all Blacks in America are African. There are a load of Blacks from the Caribbean Islands. And I realize that THEIR ancestry can be traced back to Africa, but so what?

So I guess that's why Caponigro went by "Bananas."
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Dwalin2014 wrote:HairyKnuckles, I have never had problems with people of another skin color. One of my best friends is Chinese (who were called "yellow", like Africans "black" and Europeans "white"). I was just making joke of how politically correct people who have problems with those terms don't notice that some surnames are based on the same terms. If the joke was flat, ok. But I am not a racist, it shocks me if I made that impression.
I know because you don´t strike me as being racist at all. Neither does your post imply you´re being one. I was just making that first post to pass a general message on here. The term "****###" is outdated and is offensive to some. Even if that some is only one or two, it´s still offensive to those one or two. Let´s all agree not to use offensive and derogatory terms on here.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
Dwalin2014 wrote:HairyKnuckles, I have never had problems with people of another skin color. One of my best friends is Chinese (who were called "yellow", like Africans "black" and Europeans "white"). I was just making joke of how politically correct people who have problems with those terms don't notice that some surnames are based on the same terms. If the joke was flat, ok. But I am not a racist, it shocks me if I made that impression.
I know because you don´t strike me as being racist at all. Neither does your post imply you´re being one. I was just making that first post to pass a general message on here. The term "****###" is outdated and is offensive to some. Even if that some is only one or two, it´s still offensive to those one or two. Let´s all agree not to use offensive and derogatory terms on here.
I hear you on this, but it depends on the context in which it is used. In Harlem in the 1910's there were nicknames like "***** Charley" who were neighborhood players, should we change the nick to "N-word Charley" or just be responsible and mature about it? The term "****###" itself wasn't offensive until after the 60's, before then, the American public (all colors), schools, papers, documents all used that term and it was used in different contexts: Martin Luther King saying "All negros should be equal" and Strom Thurmond saying "The day the filthy ****### integrates into our schools will be when I am dead" has two different connotations. It had it's day and then there was a Re-Africanization realization in the 70's with Farrakhan et al, and now we have the term African American. The term ****### became the more abrasive N-word and that is being replaced with 'thug,' made popular by 2Pac (buon anima!) it's the white man's way of getting around the N-word and still everyone knows what he's referring to: a BNBG or Big ****### Big Gun to quote Bunk Mooreland. It's the perfect synonym that conveys a character right out of Boys 2 Men, Menance 2 Society, Juice etc. No one asked for a further definition when Trayvon, Brown and Wright were referred to as 'thugs.' Watch for that word to become controversial in the future.

Back in the 1970's when Disco was happening, the blacks wore all kinds of shiny colors, leopards, suede, bright blue and golds like the Beatles did a decade before... Well in Spanish a "mayate" is a shiny black beetle, which explains why Mexicans began referring blacks as such in California and Chicago during the disco era: "Ay dios mio, it's a mayate!!!"

Again, I hear you, I don't walk around referring to blacks as ****### an-- well, I kinda do but among black historians, so that's beside the point-- it's all about context. And since we do go into a bit of history on here, we shouldn't be too PC about terms as long as they are used in proper and relevant context.
Last edited by Angelo Santino on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Absolutely is all about context. But it takes a fool not to understand the hidden message in some posts here where the term is used. I understand the N-word being an old southern mispronunciation of the term "****###". So why rock the boat?
NickyEyes1
Straightened out

Post by NickyEyes1 »

You're making a problem where there isn't one