Merlino brags about killing

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Merlino brags about killing

Post by B. »

I wonder if D'Onofrio has actually participated in any murders or if he was just going along with Merlino. What's crazy is I believe the Philly family has had the highest ratio of members who have participated in (attempted) murder v. not participated in (attempted) murder out of any family for decades. So many current members have been connected to hits considering it's 2017 and many of these guys are relatively young. I haven't seen anything confirming that Merlino has participated in "successful" murders, but he has no doubt earned a reputation as someone who is willing to murder. It's possible he gave final word on the Turchi, Martorano, Casasanto, Maniscalco, and DiPietro murders as well.

As for Merlino's comments, like others have said it is hypothetical macho talk but it's a definite headline grabber and is entertaining to hear about. Reading it made me think of Chuckie Merlino's drunken antics in "Blood and Honor"... i.e. talking openly about murder, making idle threats, etc.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Fughedaboutit wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:27 pm
PHL_Mob wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:03 pm I know the FBI via Tommy Scafidi said Merlino was a driver for the shooters during the Joey Chang hit and then was a spotter with a walkie-talkie to the infamous "van with gun portholes" during the Stanfa I-76 hit. He waited in a car somewhere by the Walt Whitman Bridge and radio' the driver of the van with the shooters who had the other walkie-talkie that Stanfa & son were approaching the Vare Ave exit. For what it's worth, Merlino was involved in a little discussed murder in late '82 or early '83 of a young Riccobene associate who he and Tory Scafidi got into an altercation/fight with at a South Street club that they all hung out at called Scruples on 2nd & South where the Citi Bank branch used to be. They ended up following the kid home after the club closed and Scafidi was spotted as being one of two shooters who killed the kid right outside of his home in front of his mother who was watching from the second floor window and was able supposedly able to ID Scafidi, but not the second shooter who was according to everyone (I think Tommy Horsehead confirmed for the FBI that it was in fact Merlino) to be Merlino who was the other young man involved in the fight with the kid earlier at the club with Tory Scafidi. Once again Joey and his good luck... Bobby Simone was able to get Tory off of that murder charge though. Also, Merlino was either taped or overheard telling Natale in prison that Mike Chang did his "first piece of work" when he was 19. Not sure if that was helping with a mob sanctioned hit or if that was just something he had done on the side, but goes to show that even these "JV Scarfo Mafia" guys who ended up making up most of the "Young Turks" we're in fact doing heavy work in the early to mid 1980s. Vince Iannece who was like 20 or 22 at the time was charged in the Salvie Testa murder for being a blocker so they were all doing stuff at an early age. They were all doing the shooting, driving, blocking, etc themselves during the Stanfa War so I really would not be surprised if Merlino has personally been the shooter in at least 3-4 hits THAT WE KNOW OF. One last thing, when I read that quote about Merlino explaining how to do a murder, it immediately reminded me of Dutchie Avicoli. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they did him in since he was one of Merlino's best friends and one of the inner-circle guys in the Young Turk faction. Also wouldn't be surprised if Merlino was the one who popped Dutchie in that particular hit since it was for Mazzone and what not.
Yeah I mean Merlino obviously has his hands very dirty in killings and shootings.

Furios statement of who did Merlino kill to be able to say that, is laughable
Is laughable only for you. I'm not a criminal but say to someone that kill people is easy when you never killed someone is a stupid thing. Sonny Franzese was caught saying how kill and destroy the bodies but he killed at least 60 people ! Merlino ordered to kill,maybe pull the trigger when Stanfa loyalist tried to kill him. But there are no proof that him personally pull the trigger.
You admir Merlino: he was a mess as boss was a degenerate gambler and don't paied his debt so many big bookmakers in philly don't wanted to made bussiness with the philly mob; ligambi rebuilted the family not merlino,he had the ball ? Come on he made 15 y and dont flipped? More of the old scarfo guys made 25 y; he was only lucky if he is the boss is only because Ligambi don't wanted another war to take the merlino place as boss.
santos
Straightened out

Post by santos »

not the sharpest tool in the box is he..fuck me how is he even a boss.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

santos wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:45 am not the sharpest tool in the box is he..fuck me how is he even a boss.
Philly.

I recall EB stating if he was in NY he wouldnt even make Capo.

(Ref to Westside)
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:14 am
santos wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:45 am not the sharpest tool in the box is he..fuck me how is he even a boss.
Philly.

I recall EB stating if he was in NY he wouldnt even make Capo.

(Ref to Westside)
Merlino was in with NY and on equal footing with 2 capos with the Westside, I understand what EB is saying ....but apples and oranges Philly and NY
Merlino is going to trial as the one of 3 bosses of the East Coast LCN Enterprise ,As the longest reigning boss of any active family 23 years ,

This trial is a Genovese crime family infiltrator , Rubio went to work for Merlino after getting permission from his boss Genovese captain Pasquale “Patsy” Parrello and during that time collected most of the evidence against Merlino according to court documents,

If it was the other way around Merlino would look like the amateur and not able to handle NY , But The Genovese dropped the ball on this one ,

Merlino might not be the "Sharpest tool" but he is sharp enough , I give him credit as a LCN to the bone, hope he does well in the trial
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

joeycigars wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:45 am Merlino was in with NY and on equal footing with 2 capos , I understand what EB is saying ....but apples and oranges Philly and NY
Merlino is going to trial as the one of 3 bosses of the East Coast LCN Enterprise ,As the longest reigning boss of any active family 23 years ,

This trial is a Genovese crime family infiltrator , Rubio went to work for Merlino after getting permission from his boss Genovese captain Pasquale “Patsy” Parrello and during that time collected most of the evidence against Merlino according to court documents,

If it was the other way around Merlino would look like the amateur , But The Genovese dropped the ball on this one ,

Merlino has Luck,Street smarts , Balls , He might not be the "Sharpest tool" but I give him credit as a LCN to the bone, hope he does well in the trial
A few points.
Merlino became boss over a shambles of a family on the back of large parts of the family being dismantled from government prosecution.
He has also spent almost half his tenure inside.
I state this as Merlino's ascension and tenure as boss needs some context.

Secondly, again, context. 'Genovese family infiltrator' was an associate. Who Merlino worked directly with. A boss, working, directly, with an associate. From another family no less. Catastrophically stupid. So yes the associate was from another family, but he wasn't made and Merlino's decision to work and work with him, and directly, leads the responsibility to fall on his shoulders, not the Genovese.
To illustrate my point imagine the chances of Barney or Cali working directly on a criminal enterprise, with a non made associate, of another family no less. The proposition is laughable.

'Street smarts'? Nope.

Merlino in my book has had timing, a little luck and is a standup guy on the 'plus' side and is a greedy, showy moron on the other.
Last edited by SonnyBlackstein on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

:roll: Merlino was only a survivor: during the Scarfo sr reign he was a punk that enjoy the life for be the underboss son,when Leonetti flipped he and his young Turk start a war against the Stanfa the legittim boss when Stanfa get life he used natale as figurehead. From 1995 to 1999 he ruined the family acting like a john gotti and risked to be killed because the Gambino and genoveses would fresolone (if I remember well) but fresolone flipped. The fact that made 15 y was a blessing for the family: ligambi rebuilted the family and restore the ties with NY.
I seriously I don't understand why Ligambi dont become the real boss but anyway this is an another lucky strike of Merlino.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:45 pm
Fughedaboutit wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:25 pm Merlino is a killer.

People can call him a midget and a fake all they want....but he has done things nobody on this board has the balls to.

Survived many murder attempts and isnt afraid to pull a trigger or take on the feds

Did things that nobody on this board has the "balls" to do? HOPEFULLY, nobody on this board is as fucking stupid as Joey Merlino. He's an idiot. He is nobody to admire and if somebody admires him, I feel bad for them.
It's not that I admire him, but it certainly takes balls to do the things he has done, you have to admit. Idiot or not
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:23 am
joeycigars wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:45 am Merlino was in with NY and on equal footing with 2 capos , I understand what EB is saying ....but apples and oranges Philly and NY

If it was the other way around Merlino would look like the amateur , But The Genovese dropped the ball on this one ,

Merlino has Luck,Street smarts , Balls , He might not be the "Sharpest tool" but I give him credit as a LCN to the bone, hope he does well in the trial
A few points.
Merlino became boss over a shambles of a family on the back of large parts of the family being dismantled from government prosecution.
I state this as Merlino's ascension and tenure as boss needs some context.

Secondly, again, context. 'Genovese family infiltrator' was an associate. Who Merlino worked directly with. A boss working directly with an associate. From another family no less. Catastrophically stupid. So yes the associate was from another family, but he wasn't made and Merlino's decision to work directly leads the responsibility to fall on his shoulders, not the Genovese.
To illustrate my point imagine the chances of Barney or Cali working directly with an associate, of another family no less. The proposition is laughable.

'Street smarts'? Nope.

Merlino in my book has had timing, a little luck and is a standup guy on the 'plus' side and is a greedy, showy moron on the other.
That associate was on record with Parrello and the Genovese family, why wouldn't Merlino trust him? It's not like Rubeo was some hanger-on in Florida who Merlino recruited to hang around him. Rubeo had access to high level Genovese members as well.

Plenty of associates have gotten close to high level New York guys and helped take them down, Merlino is not an exception to this. You guys take this rank shit too seriously, the only thing these guys care about is money, they could give a shit about the title of the guy handing them cash.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Remember Chin and Pete Savino and Chin had a reputation for bring one of the sharpest guys in LCN history.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Snakes wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 am Remember Chin and Pete Savino and Chin had a reputation for bring one of the sharpest guys in LCN history.
Yeah I mean these guys aren't mind readers, you never truly know who is gonna rat under pressure

Look at Fat fuck Massino, the damn boss
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

B. wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 pm I wonder if D'Onofrio has actually participated in any murders or if he was just going along with Merlino. What's crazy is I believe the Philly family has had the highest ratio of members who have participated in (attempted) murder v. not participated in (attempted) murder out of any family for decades. So many current members have been connected to hits considering it's 2017 and many of these guys are relatively young. I haven't seen anything confirming that Merlino has participated in "successful" murders, but he has no doubt earned a reputation as someone who is willing to murder. It's possible he gave final word on the Turchi, Martorano, Casasanto, Maniscalco, and DiPietro murders as well.

As for Merlino's comments, like others have said it is hypothetical macho talk but it's a definite headline grabber and is entertaining to hear about. Reading it made me think of Chuckie Merlino's drunken antics in "Blood and Honor"... i.e. talking openly about murder, making idle threats, etc.

do you mean Onofrio? yes, he was in jail for murder a while back. him and Perotti (carting)
Guy Fatato said on a tape-recording that Franzese's vig on a $30,000 debt was "like social security" for him. - GohnJotti
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Chucky wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:12 am That associate was on record with Parrello and the Genovese family, why wouldn't Merlino trust him? It's not like Rubeo was some hanger-on in Florida who Merlino recruited to hang around him. Rubeo had access to high level Genovese members as well.

Plenty of associates have gotten close to high level New York guys and helped take them down, Merlino is not an exception to this. You guys take this rank shit too seriously, the only thing these guys care about is money, they could give a shit about the title of the guy handing them cash.
Well the whole point of the 'rank shit' is to provide insulation. To protect the guys at the top from exactly this. That he didn't follow 'protocol' and delegate means he fucked up, not that it isnt valid. The protocol exists for a reason. And Merlino is balls fucking lucky he's not spending the next 20+ inside because of it.
Snakes wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 am Remember Chin and Pete Savino and Chin had a reputation for bring one of the sharpest guys in LCN history.
Good point, good example.
But this was acknowledged as Chin's single major mistake, it wasn't the Chin condoning or encouraging that behavior.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Merlino brags about killing

Post by Lupara »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:

A few points.
For a modern day boss that really isn't too bad considering the feds have the means to put anybody in jail for life. If anything, Merlino has beaten the feds so far. But he's also playing with fire because they won't stop until he'll die in jail. The wisest thing he could do is retire now and live out his days on some tropical island. But wiseguys aren't known to be wise.

furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:05 am
JCB1977 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:45 pm
Fughedaboutit wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:25 pm Merlino is a killer.

People can call him a midget and a fake all they want....but he has done things nobody on this board has the balls to.

Survived many murder attempts and isnt afraid to pull a trigger or take on the feds

Did things that nobody on this board has the "balls" to do? HOPEFULLY, nobody on this board is as fucking stupid as Joey Merlino. He's an idiot. He is nobody to admire and if somebody admires him, I feel bad for them.
It's not that I admire him, but it certainly takes balls to do the things he has done, you have to admit. Idiot or not
For me had more balls Vinny Basciano that get life in a supermax prison at 45 y in 2004 and don't flipped,I don't think that merlino would had the balls to be a stand up guy if he would get life in 1999.