Michael Magnafichi (Chicago)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JerryB
Straightened out

Michael Magnafichi (Chicago)

Post by JerryB »

Michael Magnafichi, once described by authorities as a “made” member of the Chicago mob, raised Catholic, says he prays every night before bed, believes in heaven for most people.

Nearly 20 years ago, an FBI document described Magnafichi as a “rising star” in Chicago’s underworld. How would he describe himself now, at 55?

“Well, not ‘up and coming in the mob,’ that’s for sure. I describe myself as first just enjoying life, I guess. . . . I still play a lot of golf.”

“I don’t do anything illegal any more. I was basically just in the gambling business . . . Truth of it is what’s legal today was illegal yesterday. Now, there’s gambling all over the place . . . It’s a thing people are doing at their office on their breaks,” going online.

Grew up in Bensenville, went to college for two years or so, including Northern Illinois University on a partial golf scholarship.

His dad Lee Magnafichi was a mob figure of some heft, a confidante of late Chicago Outfit overlord Tony Accardo and deceased boss Jackie Cerone. He died of cancer in 1989.

“We were a very structured family, meals at home . . . very normal.”

“Wasn’t beaten . . . over the head” with religion.

“We were born and raised Catholic, went to catechism” — in other words, Sunday school — “church every Sunday . . . My father didn’t go.” But his mom often did.

“She always . . . told us that you don’t have to go anywhere to have faith. You could say your prayers. As long as you believe in God and try to do good by God, God could hear you anywhere.”

His parish growing up was St. Alexis in Bensenville, though the family also attended Holy Ghost in Wood Dale sometimes.

Magnafichi’s dad didn’t discuss it but had religious beliefs. When he got ill, a friend’s wife gave him a saint’s medallion that he kept in his wallet.

“I always thought that religiously, that if you don’t pray during the good times and only in the bad times, that God wouldn’t hear you. But that’s not necessarily true.

“I’m no religious person. I don’t go to church . . . I do say prayers, though. I pray every night before I go to bed. . . . I say an Our Father, Act of Contrition and a Hail Mary. And I pray for . . . healthiness for all my friends and family.

“I believe that God does answer your prayers in His time. You can’t say a prayer, buy a Lotto ticket, say, ‘God make me win this Lotto.’

“I believe in, I don’t want to say karma, but it seems like good things happen to good people.”

How do mobsters reconcile religious convictions with a criminal life?

“A guy one time told me that God is not concerned with the person, he’s concerned with the person’s soul. So the person could do things that maybe aren’t God’s way, but, if the soul is good, that’s what God’s concerned with. And that’s how I think a lot of guys rolled with it, dealt with it that way.”

In other words, “This is my business, but this is my life, my life I choose to lead one way, my business” is different.

“I don’t know if that’s hypocritical, I don’t know if it just works for me, but it does.

“My dad was away when we were young. He went away for four years.

“I’m at peace with everything I’ve done . . . I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t have peace with it . . . You can call that what you want, but that’s just my way.”

Once during mass as a kid, when the basket was being passed for donations, the priest said, “I want to hear a silent collection today” — meaning just bills, no change.

“You kind of lose respect for the Church. They’re a business, too.”

He’s godfather to several friends’ kids.

He stopped regularly going to church around 13. “I was sports-minded . . . I just didn’t make time for it.”

The 10 Commandments, “I’ve broken a few.”

“I’ve gotten caught up in some things, I’ve been in jail before . . . but I believe I paid the price for that.

“My idea of heaven would just be Augusta National, being able to play that every day.”

Believes most people make it to heaven.

But “I think what these terrorists are doing, I think that’s unforgivable . . . I don’t think God has a place for these people who kill innocent people for no reason.”
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/one-ti ... y-prayers/
Silence is often misinterpreted, but never misquoted.
Cheech
Full Patched

Re: Michael Magnafichi (Chicago)

Post by Cheech »

whats the story with this guy? I know nothing about Chicago, whatsoever. did he flip? shelved? retired?
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
tmarotta
Straightened out

Post by tmarotta »

I have heard that he was shelved. I believe he lost some money through a trucking company he invested in with Tony "The Hatch" Chiaramonti (who eventually got whacked) and he got blamed for money that The Hatch stole. This is what Magnafichi has said in his interviews with Joe Fosco. Magnafichi has also allegedly had an ongoing drug problem as well. This also coincided with the feud between Tony Zizzo and Mike Sarno which resulted allegedly in the disappearance of Zizzo. Chiaramonti was a soldier in Zizzo's crew, and with Magnafichi being business partner with the Hatch as well, I believe the only reason Magnafichi did not get killed too was because of his father's connections to Outfit big wigs such as Tony Accardo and Jackie Cerone. Joe
Fosco alleges that John Difronzo okayed the hit and Outfit Associate Anthony Calabrese was convicted of The Hatch murder, but he refused to cooperate so a lot of this is speculation.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Cheech wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:17 am whats the story with this guy? I know nothing about Chicago, whatsoever. did he flip? shelved? retired?
He was shelved/quit. He was mainly into gambling and his father, Lee, was also made. Frank Calabrese, Jr. asked his father about a potential bookmaking partnership with Magnafichi and Sr. told him to stay away from Magnafichi. This was around 1999 or 2000.

He seems pretty happy now and appears to have his life together so good for him. He rarely plays his past up when he does release videos. He mostly just talks about picks that he likes and golfing.
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

Kinda looks like an HGH-free Alite in that pic.
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

"When he got ill, a friend’s wife gave him a saint’s medallion that he kept in his wallet."

As if that's religious.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

I wonder what his angle is doing interviews like this? He has to be putting his name out there for some reason. I know him and fosco talked about a book at one time
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

It may be that the paper came across his stuff with Fosco and figured they could milk a story out of it.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

The real question is, why the fuck are all the buttons buttoned on his polo
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"