Why did Luciano go to Naples?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Why did Luciano go to Naples?

Post by Lupara »

It's still not clear to me why a native Sicilian chose Naples over his own hometown. Could this be due the fact that his old pal Genovese had set up shop there and Luciano could take over his businesses? I think it was around the same time that Genovese came back from Naples and Luciano went to Naples. Perhaps Naples at the time was regarded as an open city and offered more business opportunities than his native Sicily, that was already under the thumb of the local Mafia families? Was the Camorra in Naples not as prominent and strong back then so that Luciano was in a position to be his own boss?

Last edited by Lupara on Fri May 12, 2017 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: Why did Luciano go to Naples?

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Good questions.
Hope people here can furnish some answers.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

This is just speculation on my part, but I think Luciano would step on too many toes if he'd establish himself in Palermo and going into the country of Sicily, let alone Lercara Friddi, would be unbearable for a city slicker like Lucky. Naples was and is the most cosmopolitan city in the Mezzogiorno, plus it had the benefit of having an entrenched criminal element that already had the connections to his old pal Genovese like you said yourself Lupara..
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Maybe also one of the reasons was that Luciano's operatios were constantly being closed down by the law in Sicily, mostly because of his profile as a dangerous international gangster and so Naples also has its own harbour for his “import/export” operations.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Why did Luciano go to Naples?

Post by Lupara »

BillyBrizzi wrote:This is just speculation on my part, but I think Luciano would step on too many toes if he'd establish himself in Palermo and going into the country of Sicily, let alone Lercara Friddi, would be unbearable for a city slicker like Lucky. Naples was and is the most cosmopolitan city in the Mezzogiorno, plus it had the benefit of having an entrenched criminal element that already had the connections to his old pal Genovese like you said yourself Lupara..
I'm thinking that as well. Luciano was a bigshot in New York, but in Sicily he was just one of the guys and probably had to fell in line and attach himself to an existing family. It doesn't seem like he had strong enough connections to the old country to be able to establish himself there.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

As head of a family Luciano even in Sicily wouldn't be just one of the guys. He would've been afforded a similar status to that which he held in NY.
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:32 pm As head of a family Luciano even in Sicily wouldn't be just one of the guys. He would've been afforded a similar status to that which he held in NY.
You really think that Sonny? Lucky was chairman of the board in the US, first among equals.
Of course he would have tremendous status on the Island, but he wouldn't have an army of soldiers loyal to him at his disposal. Bonanno's book was selfserving without a doubt, but I believe him when he said that Lucky didn't have contacts in Sicily and was depending on Joe B. and Joe Profaci to reach out to their people before the allied invasion of Sicily. Luciano was the most Americanized boss of all the Commission members.
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Made status, and hierarchical status transcends borders.

There are strict rules which are held in universal respect. A made guy in the states is afforded the same respect in Sicily as a Sicilian godfellow is in the states.

Luciano although not having the strength of manpower at his disposal in Italy, due his position would've held power and respect relevant his status in the states, in Italy.

To assume Luciano being far from his power base would've left him powerless would be a mistake.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Naples is a port city so I'd imagine he was into shipping/smuggling of drugs, cigarettes and whatever else.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Can't remember what thread it was but i read one recently where it was mentioned that Luciano hated the Sicillian mobsters; implying that they are rats. Think it came from B. or Antiliar or something, maybe it was in Valachi's book? Whoever it was it was someone reliable. I'm guessing if true and if i'm remembering that right that had something to do with it.

How involved in crime was Luciano once he was deported and was he up until his death?
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Sometime after arrival to Italy, Luciano actually settled in Rome. It's possible Luciano thoght that city had more buisness oppertunities for him than Palermo could offer. In Palermo the Mafia had most of the rackets tide up already and they weren't keen on letting Luciano in or form a partnershipwith him due to his high profile. He was constantly being watched by the american occupying forces or elements within them. Rome was more of an international city so he felt more at home there. It wasn't until 1950 that he had to move to Naples after he was banned from Rome due to an narcotics investigation Linked (probably wrongfully) him to the arrest of an Italian American narcotics courier arrested in Rome.

And Billy, Luciano was not the chairman of the board in the LCN. That's a myth that neeeds to be buried once and for all.
There you have it, never printed before.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Wasn't he chairman of the commission at one point? Who was it if it wasn't him then out of interest?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I believe the first chairman was Vincent Mangano if my memory serves me.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:48 am And Billy, Luciano was not the chairman of the board in the LCN. That's a myth that neeeds to be buried once and for all.
You're absolutely right HK, the chairman of the Commission was Mangano according to Joe B.
I chose the the wrong words, but I truly believe that he was considered first among equals..
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

Camo wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 8:09 am Wasn't he chairman of the commission at one point? Who was it if it wasn't him then out of interest?
Mangano was the first chairman until his death/disappearance in 1951. His successor was Joe Bonanno according to the man himself in his book Man of Honor.
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT