The Cicale Files

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: The Cicale Files

Post by joeycigars »

Chris Christie wrote:And I'll say it again, all this shit up in Canada, can be attributed to Joe Bonanno. His moves in life are still affecting OC long after his death.

Accardo, Gambino, Gotti, no one has left a lasting imprint on modern OC like Joe Bananas to the point that wars are being fault over what he created 50 years later.

Charles "Lucky" Luciano some what of a lasting imprint ,with the Bonannos and the other OC families feeling the Commission wrath and protocols that where set up.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Chris Christie wrote:Even so, I suspected the number was too extreme, even back when I believed that Montreal broke off from the Bonannos. I suspected their were relying too much on "guilt by association."
I believe those numbers to be correct. The RCMP chart of the Arcadi cell alone consisted of 30 guys and there were several cells that were part of the Rizzuto organization. Bear in mind that the Montreal Mafia consist of hundreds of associates. Many of them had to answer to the Rizzutos. The Rizzutos basically turned a Bonanno crew into a major enterprise. However, in the end, they remained subjects of the Bonanno family and they were reminded of that in 2010.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Lupara wrote:
Wiseguy wrote:As for Sciascia, Cicale made it seem that it was the latter - i.e. he was a New York-based captain and only acted as an intermediary between Montreal and New York..
Yet I wonder why Vitale went to Montreal to name Rizzuto the new capo after Sciascia was killed. That either means that they were seeking to replace Sciascia or that Montreal never had an official capo after Cotroni died. I'm inclined to think that Nick Rizzuto became the new capo in the early-mid 1980s and perhaps retired at some point in the 1990s and basically handed over the title to Vito, or did so when he was imprisoned in Venezuela. That would make sense the most. I've always found it a bit odd that someone who was based in New York was named the capo of another city. In the mid 1990s Sciascia was not even allowed by Canadian authorities to enter the country anymore.

Also, the Sixth Family states that Baldo Amato (who you guys have said was under Sciascia) was part of Louis Ha-Ha's crew, who in turn had taken over Bonventre's crew, which Baldo was part of originally.
I think that Sciascia was named Capo and he was the main go to guy for access and communication with Montreal. Sciascia had guys in his crew that were supposedly sent to Montreal on a routine basis. He was also suppose to be the point man for the narcotics pipeline from Montreal to NYC for all five families. Even the Gotti crew were involved in with George for the heroin pipepline that Gene Gotti went down for etc. I doubt very much the Story Cicale told of Vito coming to NY because Massino ordered him to . I think that is horse shit. If Vito crossed the border into the US...the feds would without a doubt know it. I am sure Vito's passport was on a US LE watch list of sorts.
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

Rocco wrote:I think that is horse shit. If Vito crossed the border into the US...the feds would without a doubt know it. I am sure Vito's passport was on a US LE watch list of sorts.
I guess he was too stupid to cross illegally.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

T6F, "Montreal, 2001" page 254 (hc)

Vitale: "Mr. Massino sent me there (to Montreal), to familiarize ourselves with them. Joe Massino wanted me to go up there to speak with Vito, to get what was going on, to familiarize outserves with what was going on in Canada now that George was dead. I meet with Vito, First he was very annoyed that no one told him about George, I don't think he believed it was a drug deal going astray.

Vitale: Who do you respect up here> Who is 'the man' up here?
Vito: We are all brothers. We are all equals.
Vitale: Who do the men respect? Who could be a good captain?"
Vito: "My father."

Just doesn't make sense to me.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

This is what's written in Mafia Inc. about the result of Sciascia's death:

"The assassination of George from Canada would cast a permanent pall over relations between the Bonanno family and the Rizzuto clan. But business continued.

And Vito remained a good soldier."

Why would the authors state that?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Lupara wrote:This is what's written in Mafia Inc. about the result of Sciascia's death:

"The assassination of George from Canada would cast a permanent pall over relations between the Bonanno family and the Rizzuto clan. But business continued.

And Vito remained a good soldier."

Why would the authors state that?
Because they weren't trying to drive home the argument that Montreal eclipsed New York. I'm looking at the sources used and almost none of them would point to any break off, this appears to have been their educated conclusion from the facts or they took some creative leaps in emphasizing their platform. Either way, there is no 6th Family. The French Connection and Pizza Case appear to be their big hurrahs, it certainly wasn't continuous and I'm not ready to blame the murder of Castellano on Rizzuto because Gotti wanted to sell Rizzuto drugs. They sized Vito up so much, by page 100 you halfway expect to read that he whacked Optimus Prime.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Chris Christie wrote:T6F, "Montreal, 2001" page 254 (hc)

Vitale: "Mr. Massino sent me there (to Montreal), to familiarize ourselves with them. Joe Massino wanted me to go up there to speak with Vito, to get what was going on, to familiarize outserves with what was going on in Canada now that George was dead. I meet with Vito, First he was very annoyed that no one told him about George, I don't think he believed it was a drug deal going astray.

Maybe George was the Capo for the Montreal Crew... and Massino wanted it that way because George was there in NYC and could answer for Montreal directly to Massino when wanted it etc.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Rocco wrote:
Chris Christie wrote:T6F, "Montreal, 2001" page 254 (hc)

Maybe George was the Capo for the Montreal Crew... and Massino wanted it that way because George was there in NYC and could answer for Montreal directly to Massino when wanted it etc.
If George bided his time between both places I'd have a better time believing it. From what it looks like, he was an intermediary, a liaison who was primarily operating in NYC. But you could be right, Roc.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

To be honest not knowing much about Montreal I just always assumed Nick was the Capo for the Bonannos. If he wasn't and was always a soldier. Who was his Capo? Could it be a rare circumstance where a soldier reports directly to a NY underboss? Montreal certainly is a big grey area. In Vito's indictment did it state he was a soldier ? Did it name a Montreal Capo?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Rocco wrote:In Vito's indictment did it state he was a soldier ? Did it name a Montreal Capo?

His indictment had him as a Soldier. There was no mention of a Montreal Capo. I always thought Nick Rizzuto was the Capo during the 80s?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo The Clown wrote:
Rocco wrote:In Vito's indictment did it state he was a soldier ? Did it name a Montreal Capo?

His indictment had him as a Soldier. There was no mention of a Montreal Capo. I always thought Nick Rizzuto was the Capo during the 80s?

Pogo
Joe Pistone said this in unfinished Business. States at the time of Rastelli's "takeover" ie the Galante murder, Nick Rizzuto was capo of Montreal.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

I wonder what Nick and Galantes relationship was if there was one.? Same heroin pipeline?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

The thing is, the FBI already knew George was a capo by 1981, yet in 1988 they named (according to Pogo) Nick Rizzuto capo of the Montreal crew. However, it needs to be said that Sciascia did request to become a permenant resident in Canada in the early 1990s. He was denied after Canadian authorities found out about his status in organized crime and he was not allowed to enter the country again. His son, Mark, however had moved to Canada before him. As far as I know he still lives in Montreal and owns a restaurant.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Lupara wrote:yet in 1988 they named (according to Pogo) Nick Rizzuto capo of the Montreal crew.

Let me make a correction on that. It was the NYPD's OC section that had him as a Capo. Their info probably was not as accurate as the Feds on that matter.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.