BB question about black gangsters

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

BB question about black gangsters

Post by JeremyTheJew »

All that stuff about furio made me go to BB and i saw this question and wanted to bring it here:

Does anyone think that possibly either frank lucas (i deff dont think he would be) or Nicky BArnes in the 70s and 80s possibly surpassed LCN.

I dont believe Lucas ever could have, but Barnes was selling dope to all five burroughs i believe. And also there is a East Harlem PR that i forgot his name.. he actually ran away from the G and has not been found today even.

I belive that these days there could possibly be a FEW black "gangstas" that surpassed LCN... YBI and chamberlin brothers in detroit i think did
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Five Felonies
Full Patched

Re: BB question about black gangsters

Post by Five Felonies »

i think alot of this confusion boils down to american gangster and while a good movie, from all accounts it had about as much factual credibility as a phil carlo book. all of the other major rackets they were involved with cast aside for the sake of discussion, the italians were the undisputed top dogs in heroin importation during that time period so the idea that any black organization in nyc rivaled the 5 families is just silly.
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Post by phatmatress777 »

No Lcn was supplying Barnes and it's no way believable that some county bumpkin came to nyc with a few family members and told the five families how it was gonna be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Matty Maddona was supplying Barnes. and Lucas is a liar.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

what about like Big Meech and BMF... id say they possibly surpassed LCN for the time period when they were out there. early 2000s
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

According to Leroy Barnes, Daniel Washington "Pop" was the most powerful of the black gangsters and he had his own drug network.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

When Lucky Luciano was active, I read the only gangster in Harlem the Italian mob took seriously as an equal was Bumpy Johnson.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

yeah Bumpy was Lucas supposedly mentor. but then bumpys wife said that wasnt true and disputed everything he said. but bumpy ran the numbers more then dope.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

By the way, Bumpy's wife and some others claim he was framed on the drug charges when he was sentenced to 15 years in the 50s, they say "he loved his home and people too much to poison them with dope etc". Don't know how credible it sounds but, assuming he was really framed the first time, he was convicted for drugs 3 times I think and was under indictment for the 4th time when he died. So I don't quite get it: someone can be framed once, but FOUR times for the SAME crime??? Somebody has to be exceptionally dumb for that to happen and Bumpy was far from dumb if even Luciano thought he could be trusted. Could it be Bumpy was framed for the first time and was so pissed that later started dealing drugs for real? I watched a documentary about Melvin Williams from Baltimore, he says he was framed once for dealing drugs and told himself "They wanted a drug dealer? They will get one!" and became one of the major ones in the city.

So, to sum it up, do you think Bumpy was a drug dealer after all or wasn't he?

By the way, is that book by his wife any good? I am thinking whether buy it or not.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

well.. i did not realize that stuff about bumpy being convicted 4x of dope dealing.

i havent read her book. iv just read articles and interviews of her talking smack on frank lucas. but after all the bs you just called out i wouldnt think her book realkly would be of any substance... would she be the wife that was in the movie Hoodlum you think?
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Frank Mathews the guy who got away. Chamber brothers were from Arkansas. By the 70s and 80s when the Columbians/Cubans(then Mexicans) started cutting the Italians out of the middle of the powder business by working directly with Latin/Black gangsters/gangs. When we left Vietnam the junk business went down hill quickly. So IMO this combo of events led to the end of the Italian major involvment in the drug business. After this they were like everyone else, either running distribution or extorting dealers in their territory.

I believe Bumpy thing is over blown. He spent half his life in jail.

O and the question....individuals had power in the drug business but nothing that IMO would amount to surpassing LCN as a whole. Thing is these black gangsters focused only on drugs, with LCN drugs were just a egg in the basket . Unions surpass drugs IMO(i got a lot of them), leads to legit businesses as well as in roads for gambling. Gambling leads to shy which in turn leads to opens up the whole "favors" game. Control of a union is like making gold.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Naw, the baddest nigga of all time? This nigga from New York from the olden days, Bumpy something. Yo, he do shit like, run up to a police station by himsself. You know what I'm sayin'? Shit like that. Cops be like hidin', like, "Yo, Bumpy, we sorry, man, we sorry. Please go away, please, please!"

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

I do have a serious question for you...I know your believes and i know better than to argue with you over them. But have you ever in your life had a black friend, a black you respected or a black you didn't think were scum of the earth(minus sports figures of course)?
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

JeremyTheJew wrote:All that stuff about furio made me go to BB and i saw this question and wanted to bring it here:

Does anyone think that possibly either frank lucas (i deff dont think he would be) or Nicky BArnes in the 70s and 80s possibly surpassed LCN.

I dont believe Lucas ever could have, but Barnes was selling dope to all five burroughs i believe. And also there is a East Harlem PR that i forgot his name.. he actually ran away from the G and has not been found today even.

I belive that these days there could possibly be a FEW black "gangstas" that surpassed LCN... YBI and chamberlin brothers in detroit i think did
You need to be more specific. Surpassed the LCN how? Overall? In the drug trade itself?

As I said on the other board, anyone who claims any of these guys even came close to rivaling the five families is either ignorant or engaging in blatant revisionist history. That it's even a question, especially when we're talking pre-1980s, is surprising.

Now, fast forward to more recent guys you mentioned, maybe, maybe not. But we're talking in the drug trade alone. It's important to remember the LCN is more diversified and doesn't depend on narcotics alone. One reason it's lasted as long as it has.
All roads lead to New York.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

No fucking n***** has ever accomplished what the American Mafia hasn't in 100 years!

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.