Montagna plan

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Montagna plan

Post by JeremyTheJew »

When montages was deported to Canada- according to Penisi he went around Montreal saying pay him instead of the rizzutos

Wondering more about this - did the bonanno back this up ? This was after Vito was in prison and basically kicked off the 20 year war that might even be going on today

Any info would be great
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: Montagna plan

Post by johnny_scootch »

Montagna was the acting boss and got deported I’m not 100% sure he still had the title when he arrived in Montreal but when he did there was immediate friction between him and Nicolo Rizzuto. Vito was in prison and his father got caught on a wire saying ‘he’s not my boss’ in reference to Sal.
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

He wasn't a bad dude definitely was for the life (sought of) but not in that capacity of let's say a shot caller ( well not while we were growing up anyways) some people sure blew smoke up his ass unfortunately he was a money guy and that is why he got made we all know massino wasn't to fond of the cowboy types especially from my town
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Can u Elaborate more on Montagna?

Was he even looked at as a “zip” like the gossip likes to point out even though he was only 5 or so when he left Canada for Sicily or USA

He must of had a lot of respect for just being 35 and being made and holding rank

I even think he was one of the rare cases of promotion from soldier to acting boss with skippin being a captain
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:47 am He must of had a lot of respect for just being 35 and being made and holding rank

I even think he was one of the rare cases of promotion from soldier to acting boss with skippin being a captain
Montagna was made acting captain of the Patty DeFilippo crew, replacing Michael Mancuso when he was made acting underboss by Basciano.

So when it came time for Montagna to be elevated to acting boss, he was the highest ranking member of Mancuso's old crew left on the street. That would have factored into the decision to install him.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

It post Massino era when the elevation took place he was a good kid he ran his dad iron business and had amato in his pocket was he considered a zip ? Definitely ! was a tough street guy? Not really his brother was a manager at amato restaurant in NYC for years that's how they initially met of course the families must've known each other back home but that was that was people surprised he got inducted yes for sure
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

Look I liked the guy we were both in Italy back in 90 and that's when I really got to know him he was the type to go with the flow if he had too but nothing out the norm too bad what happened to him
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

It came out in that last Castellammare case that Sal's father Nino Montagna sponsored Ciccio Domingo, so Nino was apparently a member in CDG. Came as a surprise to hear that. Did you ever see or hear anything about Nino Montagna being a member?

Also Sal Vitale said he thought Sal Montagna and Dino Calabro were cousins but it was just because their fathers were close friends. Dino is your cousin and I know Vitale was mistaken about Sal being related to him but do you know if they were friendly?

Thanks as always.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Ridgewood 79 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:52 pm It post Massino era when the elevation took place he was a good kid he ran his dad iron business and had amato in his pocket was he considered a zip ? Definitely ! was a tough street guy? Not really his brother was a manager at amato restaurant in NYC for years that's how they initially met of course the families must've known each other back home but that was that was people surprised he got inducted yes for sure
He ran his father's business? They always say Sal started his own company..... good clarification there...
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

From what I remember Pennisi saying before he has no first hand knowledge of Canada or anything that took place up here. Just to keep that in mind.

I don't believe we have any direct proof Montagna had the backing of NY but a lot of stuff that points in that direction. Capeci wrote when Nicolo Jr was killed in 2009, Bonanno "old guards" have been meeting with the family's growing Sicilian faction to discuss what was happening up north. Capeci also said when Montagna arrived in Montreal, Nicolo Sr sent word that Montagna was a "lightweight flunky" and wasn't his boss.

When Paolo Renda disappeared a National Post article from a week later revealed police were warned an attack could be coming and that "the threat was believed to have emanated either directly from New York or through Buffalo and Toronto."

Montagna and those working with him were also in communication with unknown New York based.

In this post below you can see one such text message with someone who presumably was NY based.
viewtopic.php?t=10193

Vinny Asaro was either recorded or his cousin testified to referring to Montagna as "one of the bosses" after he was murdered in 2011. We also have texts between Domenico Agostino and his cousin Franco Albanese after Montagna's murder referring to him as a capo from New York.
"People in New York believe in the code. Not only did they kill a capo, but a capo from a prominent family," 
There's also been several references to Montagna trying to install a new "godfather of montreal", presumably a capodecina of the Montreal crew. First with Joe Di Maulo, and then with Moreno Gallo

You can call what Montagna did a catalyst of everything that took place, and is currently taking place but I don't view it as one big war. The way I look at it is 2009-2011 Montagna/Desjardins – Rizzuto loyalist conflict and 2015/2016-2019 Rizzuto-Sollecito group – Scoppa Brothers conflict.
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

Dinos dad Vito was a friendly type of guy a little bit of a drinker and an extremely hard worker ( brick laying cement work) were they friends could be , i said this before we castellamaresi are like a fraternity was sals dad a friend? No ! Respected yes I remember sals brother harassing some chick he liked and my uncle Cheech calling for both sals dad and brother kinda publicly and put an end to it ( no never got the wise guy vibe from the dad) look they were good people who did good things for bad people. Even dinos dad was only gangster in last name.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks man.

OCSleeper -- the Asaro comment was recorded by Gary Valenti. After Montagna was killed, Valenti took Asaro to a meeting with Jack and Nana Bonventre where they discussed the murder but Valenti couldn't attend the meeting because he wasn't a member. After the meeting is when Asaro said on tape Montagna had been killed and was "one of the bosses from New York."

Another interesting thing that came out is when Massino flipped he recorded Basciano saying Canada wanted them to place contractor Vincent Vertuccio "with" Montagna. Vertuccio was a big NYC contractor who had been on record with Massino but he must have been doing some work in Canada and it indicates Montreal still had a good relationship with Montagna at the time since they wanted Montagna to be the middleman between them and Vertuccio. Cicale also said he was told by Baldo Amato that Montagna had collected Christmas money from Montreal around that time and they reluctantly agreed to give more money that year.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Also Vitale gave conflicting(?) info on Nicolo Rizzuto's promotion. In the more well-known story he said the admin asked Vito to take official captain but he refused and suggested his father but it was left open with Vito as acting captain. In another though he said ultimately Nicolo did become the official captain.

So piecing together the different info it seems when Montagna went to Montreal he asked Nicolo to step down as captain, Nicolo refused, so Montagna got support to go after that faction and wanted to install DiMaulo or Gallo. This along with the info that Montagna was a capo himself suggests Montagna was not attempting to become the Montreal captain but making admin decisions.
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

Where did cicale and amato ever meet?? No doubting seems off
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

Well I LL tell.you this even if they meet in jail ( amato and cicale) I don't see amato discussion much with cicale about much nevermind Canada not after he got the nails put on him by Vitale and cantarella then Joe flipping ( yes Americans) secondly I don't even think baldo knew Dominick as a friend on the outside