Nepotism in the mob

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Nepotism in the mob

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

What exactly is a nepo baby? And when is a nepo baby not a nepo baby anymore in that life being around many of these types especially in the Massino 90's let me know what you guys think? And even if that means those who outshined a family member or two as well once part of cosa nostra . Example Paul cantarella big time nepo baby! Vinny asaro no! Not all! .
Juice Terry
Associate

Re: Nepotism in the mob

Post by Juice Terry »

Michael Franzese, Tommy Gambino, Joey Merlino? Is that what you mean?
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

Well Michael definitely did not out do his dad so he stays a nepo baby, tommy Gambino money guy held his mud no Carlo though. Joey definitely not a nepo baby becomes boss
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'd say when a guy is a respected member in his own right he's going to escape accusations of nepotism most of the time.

Gravano tried to call Tommy Gambino a pussy in his book for actually running his dress business but a guy like DiLeonardo saw Gambino as a solid and honorable guy who did his part in Cosa Nostra.

A giant nepo baby is Frank Desimone of LA. His own members didn't respect him and Magaddino was recorded saying Desimone didn't deserve to be a member let alone boss. If his father hadn't been who he was I doubt he'd have been anything.
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

Great point b!!! Yes Tommy was solid he just wasn't his dad! But who was !!! Fk Sammy you and I know that life better than he did!!
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

My cousin's are neptos, um... Nana definitely 😁 um Joe Grimaldi no the kid was legit and third generation
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

Back to tommy Gambino no not a nepo baby unfortunately his dad did him no justice bringing him in guy was sharp he gotta got in just like scotto if recruitied
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

😂 is Angelina Jolie a nepto baby? Or Michael Douglas of course in their respected fields 😁
Brovelli
Straightened out

Post by Brovelli »

There will be exceptions but I have the general view that someone who’s father was a member and I guess more importantly a member for their kids childhood and upbringing not later in life in theory should have a leg up on others regarding the knowledge and protocol of how to act etc. living watching their fathers actions and hearing things etc should always make them more aware of how that life is and should be. Does it always make that person the toughest? No but some of these guys like you mentioned above were able to navigate that life and became some of the wealthiest in the process. I’m also a history nerd and like the idea of family lineage in the mob so maybe I’m a bit idealist in this lol
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:02 pm I'd say when a guy is a respected member in his own right he's going to escape accusations of nepotism most of the time.

Gravano tried to call Tommy Gambino a pussy in his book for actually running his dress business but a guy like DiLeonardo saw Gambino as a solid and honorable guy who did his part in Cosa Nostra.

A giant nepo baby is Frank Desimone of LA. His own members didn't respect him and Magaddino was recorded saying Desimone didn't deserve to be a member let alone boss. If his father hadn't been who he was I doubt he'd have been anything.
I would add Carmen Milano to that list , never would have been made hadn't been for his dad being a legend , and brother becoming La boss ,
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
pat_marcy
Associate

Post by pat_marcy »

Detroit must have a few nepo babies surely
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Stroccos wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:36 am I would add Carmen Milano to that list , never would have been made hadn't been for his dad being a legend , and brother becoming La boss ,
I think Anthony Milano had very little to do with Carmen becoming a member, it was very clearly his brother Peter who brought him to Southern California. Despite their later issues in the 1990s when activity for Los Angeles briefly ramped up in the early-to-mid 1980s, Carmen was his brother's strongest supporter (outside of Louie Gelfuso) and it's pretty easy to see why he would be made the underboss instead of someone like Jimmy Caci or Jack LoCicero.

From Craig Fiato's account, Carmen was apparently also better connected to the New York families.

We often hear from Fratianno and Kenji Gallo that Peter Milano was only made as a result of nepotism but that glosses over the fact that he had been an associate since the late 1940s, was at one point married to an important San Jose member's daughter and through connections with the Dippolito/Brooklier crew, had built up his own operations in San Fernando etc.
"I can’t deal with this. I can’t believe it goes on there. I can’t. Only in Ohio.” - Carmine Agnello
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Ridgewood 79 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:19 pm Well Michael definitely did not out do his dad so he stays a nepo baby, tommy Gambino money guy held his mud no Carlo though. Joey definitely not a nepo baby becomes boss
Didn't he make like 40M a week and turn in a mill a week to the persicos?

Seems like sonny was on track to be boss when he was in his 40's but never regained his power.resoect/mnoey?
's
Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

CornerBoy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:07 am
Ridgewood 79 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:19 pm Well Michael definitely did not out do his dad so he stays a nepo baby, tommy Gambino money guy held his mud no Carlo though. Joey definitely not a nepo baby becomes boss
Didn't he make like 40M a week and turn in a mill a week to the persicos?

Seems like sonny was on track to be boss when he was in his 40's but never regained his power.resoect/mnoey?
's
Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Michael was the biggest earner in all of Cosa Nostra in his prime. His father might have become Boss but constant trouble with the law and the fact that the Persicos became completely and totally entrenched in the leadership of the family put a stop to any possibility of that for Sonny.
Ridgewood 79
Straightened out

Post by Ridgewood 79 »

Well yes Michael was an enormous earner but and I don't want to sound hypocritical he flipped 🙃 which basically makes him a nepo baby just my opinion.milano and Detroit yes for sure .