The Book That Hasn't Been Written

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

The Book That Hasn't Been Written

Post by Antiliar »

Two questions:

First, if someone were to write a book just focusing on the Commission case, what would you want it to cover?

Second, what person, topic, or event would you like to see covered that hasn't been covered yet (or maybe hasn't been covered the way it should have been)?
Ivan
Full Patched

Re: The Book That Hasn't Been Written

Post by Ivan »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:20 pm First, if someone were to write a book just focusing on the Commission case, what would you want it to cover?
The actual trial in very granular detail would be fun. The little details I've heard (Persico saying weird shit while acting as his own attorney, Fat Tony refusing healthier granola bars as he was resigned to die in jail, Tom Mix mouthing off to the judge rather hilariously at sentencing) all make me want to hear more.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

I'd be interested in reading a commission case book if it was looking primarily at all the taped conversations.

I think a book re-evaluating 'Murder Inc' and doing some myth busting would be genuinely interesting.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:20 pm Second, what person, topic, or event would you like to see covered that hasn't been covered yet (or maybe hasn't been covered the way it should have been)?
Capone era but what we now know about the Chicago Mafia and Capone being made incorporated into the narrative.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

We only have excerpts of the tapes so if any book were to focus on the tapes, it would be enjoyable

Joseph “Little Joe” DeFede is underrated. He’s received very little media attention. Former Lucchese Acting Boss during 1994 until 1998. He flipped in 2002.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Would be interesting if Vincenzo Morena ever wrote a book as (as far as I can recall) the only Canada-based member to flip.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Augie
Prospect

Post by Augie »

Michael Dileonardo doing an in depth book with his family and historical history up and through to his life up through the time he cooperated would be very interesting. Also, Vincent Palermo or Anthony Rotondo would be interesting to get deeper insight into Decavalcante history. Their knowledge and experience of the running of the family would be a first from an insider on that level. The undercover Giovanni Rocco was so far on the fringes it didn’t really give much if any insight on that level obviously.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

years ago you could read old archived article from the ny times for free. they almost had a daily or weekly article on the commission trial all types of little tidbits. ralph scopo car was bugged he's the bagman for the Colombo but kinda oversees the whole concrete club that's why he attended that commission meeting on Staten island with the feds pictures. Anyway he says on the bug something like it's fucked up they killed Roy demeo he was a loyal soldier to paul doing his job he was killed almost because paul didn't want him next to him on trial. scopos says that could happen to me. sure as shit he would be sitting next to carmine persico. there was tons of little articles with story's from the commission trial. didn't someone just write a book on the commission was it any good? Last good boook I read was little als book and that probaly 8yrs ago
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

Book about the Gas Scam.
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

These might be boring subjects for most people but something definitive on Tommy Lucchese and Joe Profaci (who oddly enough might be alittle more interesting than Tommy Brown, at least in book form).

The complete history on the Genovese New England crews, Big Nose Sam Cufari and Frank Iaconi.

The Complete history of the Genovese crews in Florida would be different.

The history of the Numbers racket in New York. (Would love T.J English to do a splinter prequel to The Corporation, which is a continuation of Havana Nocturne but starts in New York during the mid-60's.)

A complete history of the mobs in California.
"I was a venture capitalist"
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

Don_Peppino wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:19 pm These might be boring subjects for most people but something definitive on Tommy Lucchese and Joe Profaci (who oddly enough might be alittle more interesting than Tommy Brown, at least in book form).

The complete history on the Genovese New England crews, Big Nose Sam Cufari and Frank Iaconi.

The history of the Numbers racket in New York. (Would love T.J English to do a splinter prequel to The Corporation, which is a continuation of Havana Nocturne but starts in New York during the mid-60's.)

A complete history of the mobs in California.
I agree about Profaci. He was in the apartment with Valachi when they were waiting for Masseria to show up in the Bronx. I think he was also at his making ceremony or at least he explained to him what was going on. I can't remember. A year or so later he's boss of a Family.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Don_Peppino wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:19 pm

There's a Springfield based book coming out this year I believe.

While I dont think there is enough material just to concentrate on Genovese FL crews, a more thorough history of South Florida organized crime would be very interesting. Maybe a future project...

Yes! The NYC numbers racket would make a great story, esp with the wide variety of ethnic crime groups involved. Also, more info on Spanish Raymond.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Augie wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:49 am Michael Dileonardo doing an in depth book with his family and historical history up and through to his life up through the time he cooperated would be very interesting. Also, Vincent Palermo or Anthony Rotondo would be interesting to get deeper insight into Decavalcante history. Their knowledge and experience of the running of the family would be a first from an insider on that level. The undercover Giovanni Rocco was so far on the fringes it didn’t really give much if any insight on that level obviously.
A historical Decavalcabte book would be good.
DonPeppino386
Straightened out

Post by DonPeppino386 »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:58 am We only have excerpts of the tapes so if any book were to focus on the tapes, it would be enjoyable
This would peak my interest the most, be it about the commission trail etc.

As far as a particular person, I would like to see a book on Tommy Ryan Eboli at some point.
A fish with its mouth closed never gets caught.
Don_Peppino
Straightened out

Post by Don_Peppino »

sdeitche wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:33 am
Don_Peppino wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:19 pm

There's a Springfield based book coming out this year I believe.

While I dont think there is enough material just to concentrate on Genovese FL crews, a more thorough history of South Florida organized crime would be very interesting. Maybe a future project...

Yes! The NYC numbers racket would make a great story, esp with the wide variety of ethnic crime groups involved. Also, more info on Spanish Raymond.
Scott please do the Florida book hahaha. I got your New Jersey book on audio, very well put together.

I am researching and toying with the idea of doing something on the Numbers Racket myself. It's a daunting task.

But keeping with the question, I would be interested in the court documents and more details on the Commission case.

A complete history of the West Side from the late teens until Gigante's death would be a fascinating read. I'm also not too sure that the general public realize that the Genovese Family is Lucky Luciano's organization.

I also agree on the updated Al Capone piece.

Maybe a fact based, myth busting, unbiased potrayal of Joe Bonanno. Without the actual Bonannos painting a positive spin or an ill-informed generic narrative. Putting Joe and Bill's words with the new findings and what they "forgot to mention".

Something that focuses more on the rise and reign of Angelo Bruno and not just footnotes leading up to his demise.
"I was a venture capitalist"