Peter Lovaglio Interview

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: Peter Lovaglio Interview

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

InCamelot wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 10:44 am
Maybe he asks certain questions for the super basic mob watcher in an attempt to pull a broader audience? He actually asked "why would anyone choose the Colombos over the Gambinos? Thats like going to community college over Harvard" or something. Like this is fantasy/superhero shit.
I've actually pondered this to some extent and it's a perfectly reasonable question. You cannot say there are no advantages to going to with say the Westside vs the DeCavalcantes. Or Colombos.
One has significant more respect, connections, rackets, manpower, presence.

You can't honestly say if a made guy from the Westside and a button from the colombos both wanted to out you on record you wouldn't care which family

Remember the wiretap of Conrad ianello talking about a colombo captain and saying something to the effect of I couldn't give two fucks he's a colombo captain.
Think anybody EVER, said that about a Westside captain?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
John W
Straightened out

Post by John W »

RJ has a book coming out at the end of November called The Don: 36 Rules of the Bosses
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:37 am
Maybe he asks certain questions for the super basic mob watcher in an attempt to pull a broader audience? He actually asked "why would anyone choose the Colombos over the Gambinos? Thats like going to community college over Harvard" or something. Like this is fantasy/superhero shit.
I've actually pondered this to some extent and it's a perfectly reasonable question. You cannot say there are no advantages to going to with say the Westside vs the DeCavalcantes. Or Colombos.

You can't honestly say if a made guy from the Westside and a button from the colombos both wanted to out you on record you wouldn't care which family

Remember the wiretap of Conrad ianello talking about a colombo captain and saying something to the effect of I couldn't give two fucks he's a colombo captain.
But its not impossible that you could be in a circumstance where you're comfortable with the specific Colombos that you're around, or that there are perhaps business advantages to staying with the Decavs, or that you could be leery of certain Westside guys or even policies. If the world was so black and white where More Powerful = More Advantageous to Me, then everyone would want to work for Amazon or whatever. Could very often not be the case. Working for a smaller, local business could be better for many individuals. So many more factors to take into consideration. Its not about saying they're equal in every way but just phrasing the question like "Hmmm, was there something in particular that made Chris wanna go with the Colombos? Even though they got called The Cambodians once?"

The families are not there to service you. Its not like booking a 5 star hotel vs a 3 star. Everyone's likely to be utilizing the network for their own purposes. You can't just stand with them and it all comes pouring in.

I also can't honestly say that associates are standing around like "OMG but the Westside has ERNIE, MAN. ERNIE. YOOOOOOOO. And and and BARNEY!? STOP. PLAYING. I mean we just need to pass the ball to him and we're golden!!!!" Like who seriously makes decisions about their livelihood that way? History makes larger-than-life caricatures out of people who may have charisma, ability and reputation but reality has this nagging way of seeping back in.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

It's not really as major as you think. When I lay out these examples, it's important to note that I'm considering the "modern" era of the Mafia, say 1980-onwards.

As far as "respect" goes, made members warrant a universal respect regardless of which family they're in. Among made members, the same rules still apply at sit-downs regardless of whether someone is a Colombo or a Genovese. Obviously there have been periods in history where certain families are ostracized but, on the whole, the perception of a "made member" on the street is universal to all families, especially to anyone who isn't made. A sizeable percentage of associates on the street might not know which family someone is from, only that they are inducted. The Conrad Ianniello example ("I don't give a fuck if he's a Colombo") is a somewhat misleading, because we have an example from the same timeframe (the late 2000s) where Big Anthony Russo expressed that he didn't care whether a rival gambling club belonged to Gambino captain Sonny Juliano or not, he violently shut them down all the same.
As far as "connections" go, that's an interesting point. Although if you're posing a hypothetical scenario where an associate has to choose between whether to go "on-record" with the Colombos or the Genovese family (two arbitrary examples for the sake of conversation), their thought-process would depend wholly on the connections of the individual Colombo member they're associated with, compared with the individual Genovese member they're connected with. A prospective associate wouldn't be sitting there going "Well, I read in the papers that the Colombos have the concrete unions, but I've read in the papers that the Genoveses have stronger connections in Jersey! Who should I go with for my lifelong career in the Mafia?"
As far as rackets goes, ditto with the connections thing. An individual weighing his options between associating with two different crime families would not be considering the overall depth and diversity of a crime family's rackets, only the rackets of the individual member of the Colombo or Genovese family that he knows. For example, all families have a theoretical "ban" on selling drugs, but each made member handles that differently, so a drug dealer with the privilege of deciding between going "on-record" with a Colombo or a Genovese member would consider their individual stances on drug-dealing, not the crime family with the biggest drug-dealing rackets.
As far as manpower goes, I'm not sure why any prospective associate or made member would consider that. I'm not even sure what that means. Bill Cutolo and his Colombo crew of the late '90s had far more "manpower" than, say, Tony Federici or Ciro Perrone's crews of old-timers during the same timeframe. Okay, I'll admit I don't know the breadth of those two Genovese guys' crews, but I believe they were mostly older in age. Theoretically, all families are equally capable of murder regardless of their overall size and, in a criminal sense, the more "manpower" involved in a murder, the more risk is involved. Criminals like to keep their circles tight and commit violent crimes with their most trusted associates, so the idea of a crime family having "reserves" of "manpower" for such jobs is misleading (perhaps it was different 50+ years ago).
And lastly, you mentioned "presence." I guess by "presence," you're referring to visible presence on the street in the form of social clubs, bars, connected restaurants, etc.? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe phrases like "Oh this restaurant is a Colombo spot and this restaurant is a Genovese spot" exist more in the eyes of journalists and online mob researchers rather than the New York criminal underworld; most people simply think of places as being "mobbed-up" or "not mobbed-up". Restaurants, bars, after-hours clubs or gambling clubs are not usually specific to any family whereas social clubs that are specific to one family are usually specific to one crew from the family. Greg Scarpa's club was exclusive to his crew, rather than a general "Colombo club," ditto with Bonanno consigliere Anthony Spero's club a few blocks south.

I spent far too long writing this but I hope it helps clear things up. Because there's nothing that bugs me more than when people over-analyse the Mafia and treat crime families like sports teams, and criminals as professional athletes. "Whose stronger, the West Side or the Gambinos?" "Who was the better Mafia boss, Joe Massino or Chin Gigante?" And even autobiographies from made members can propagate these narratives, since they or their ghostwriters usually add a bit more pomp and pageantry on their lives in hindsight. It's a lot more interesting to write about the rival families in almost-mythical terms than to write "I could see no discernable differences between the Five Families other than what I read in the newspapers, but I happened to be inducted into the Luccheses because my sponsor Tony was apparently a Lucchese."
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

InCamelot wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:05 pm But its not impossible that you could be in a circumstance where you're comfortable with the specific Colombos that you're around, or that there are perhaps business advantages to staying with the Decavs, or that you could be leery of certain Westside guys or even policies. If the world was so black and white where More Powerful = More Advantageous to Me, then everyone would want to work for Amazon or whatever. Could very often not be the case. Working for a smaller, local business could be better for many individuals. So many more factors to take into consideration. Its not about saying they're equal in every way but just phrasing the question like "Hmmm, was there something in particular that made Chris wanna go with the Colombos? Even though they got called The Cambodians once?"

The families are not there to service you. Its not like booking a 5 star hotel vs a 3 star. Everyone's likely to be utilizing the network for their own purposes. You can't just stand with them and it all comes pouring in.

I also can't honestly say that associates are standing around like "OMG but the Westside has ERNIE, MAN. ERNIE. YOOOOOOOO. And and and BARNEY!? STOP. PLAYING. I mean we just need to pass the ball to him and we're golden!!!!" Like who seriously makes decisions about their livelihood that way? History makes larger-than-life caricatures out of people who may have charisma, ability and reputation but reality has this nagging way of seeping back in.
I didn't see this post when I made my post, but you summed it up perfectly. I think the Amazon comparison is spot-on: people don't consider a crime family's rackets anymore than an Amazon delivery driver considers Bezos' net worth or Amazon's stock price.

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Will read the posts later but the Amazon analogy is, not good.

Do Amazon drivers participate in the profits of the business? No. Made guys do.

So, umm, wrong.
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:26 pm Will read the posts later but the Amazon analogy is, not good.

So, umm, wrong.
Made guys also don't have to wear uniforms. They don't really need to be 100% the same in order for the example to have some sort of adequate logic to it. Plus the analogy didn't say just the drivers :lol: its in reference to making a living with a particular company.

Sure yeah maybe take a full read when you have time.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I see the business side of Cosa Nostra like a real estate agency. You need to be a licensed agent to do business and the agency represents you and you represent them. You attract business to the agency, put clients on record, and the agency itself provides you more opportunities/clients. They also provide other resources/assistance and offer a degree of protection.

When you sell a property you pay a percentage to the agency which sustains the agency's operations and pays management's salary. Management can sell on their own as agents themselves or sit back and simply manage the agency but it's not really the rank-and-file agents' business unless what management is doing is corrupt or hurting its agents.

Difference is, in Cosa Nostra this applies to any sanctioned activity that uses the Family's name, from legitimate business to organized crime. That and the whole ethnocentric secret society and "blood in, blood out" thing.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:26 pm Will read the posts later but the Amazon analogy is, not good.

So, umm, wrong.
No they don't. At least not in the way you're envisioning. When you become made, you are not invited into rackets that you otherwise wouldn't have had. Money flows upwards in organized crime. The main benefit to being made is that you get to collect tribute from "associates", which is great, but it's still up to the made member to figure that out. A made member doesn't get granted "associates" to kick up tribute or "rackets" to oversee. Perhaps pre-1970s there are examples of that happening, but I don't think that is commonplace these days. It's not a rule of being made.

johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Rare is the day anyone is given the opportunity to choose which family he ends up associated to. It doesn’t happen like that very often.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

gohnjotti wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:15 pm
It's not really as major as you think. When I lay out these examples, it's important to note that I'm considering the "modern" era of the Mafia, say 1980-onwards.

As far as "respect" goes, made members warrant a universal respect regardless of which family they're in. Among made members, the same rules still apply at sit-downs regardless of whether someone is a Colombo or a Genovese. Obviously there have been periods in history where certain families are ostracized but, on the whole, the perception of a "made member" on the street is universal to all families, especially to anyone who isn't made. A sizeable percentage of associates on the street might not know which family someone is from, only that they are inducted. The Conrad Ianniello example ("I don't give a fuck if he's a Colombo") is a somewhat misleading, because we have an example from the same timeframe (the late 2000s) where Big Anthony Russo expressed that he didn't care whether a rival gambling club belonged to Gambino captain Sonny Juliano or not, he violently shut them down all the same.
As far as "connections" go, that's an interesting point. Although if you're posing a hypothetical scenario where an associate has to choose between whether to go "on-record" with the Colombos or the Genovese family (two arbitrary examples for the sake of conversation), their thought-process would depend wholly on the connections of the individual Colombo member they're associated with, compared with the individual Genovese member they're connected with. A prospective associate wouldn't be sitting there going "Well, I read in the papers that the Colombos have the concrete unions, but I've read in the papers that the Genoveses have stronger connections in Jersey! Who should I go with for my lifelong career in the Mafia?"
As far as rackets goes, ditto with the connections thing. An individual weighing his options between associating with two different crime families would not be considering the overall depth and diversity of a crime family's rackets, only the rackets of the individual member of the Colombo or Genovese family that he knows. For example, all families have a theoretical "ban" on selling drugs, but each made member handles that differently, so a drug dealer with the privilege of deciding between going "on-record" with a Colombo or a Genovese member would consider their individual stances on drug-dealing, not the crime family with the biggest drug-dealing rackets.
As far as manpower goes, I'm not sure why any prospective associate or made member would consider that. I'm not even sure what that means. Bill Cutolo and his Colombo crew of the late '90s had far more "manpower" than, say, Tony Federici or Ciro Perrone's crews of old-timers during the same timeframe. Okay, I'll admit I don't know the breadth of those two Genovese guys' crews, but I believe they were mostly older in age. Theoretically, all families are equally capable of murder regardless of their overall size and, in a criminal sense, the more "manpower" involved in a murder, the more risk is involved. Criminals like to keep their circles tight and commit violent crimes with their most trusted associates, so the idea of a crime family having "reserves" of "manpower" for such jobs is misleading (perhaps it was different 50+ years ago).
And lastly, you mentioned "presence." I guess by "presence," you're referring to visible presence on the street in the form of social clubs, bars, connected restaurants, etc.? Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe phrases like "Oh this restaurant is a Colombo spot and this restaurant is a Genovese spot" exist more in the eyes of journalists and online mob researchers rather than the New York criminal underworld; most people simply think of places as being "mobbed-up" or "not mobbed-up". Restaurants, bars, after-hours clubs or gambling clubs are not usually specific to any family whereas social clubs that are specific to one family are usually specific to one crew from the family. Greg Scarpa's club was exclusive to his crew, rather than a general "Colombo club," ditto with Bonanno consigliere Anthony Spero's club a few blocks south.

I spent far too long writing this but I hope it helps clear things up. Because there's nothing that bugs me more than when people over-analyse the Mafia and treat crime families like sports teams, and criminals as professional athletes. "Whose stronger, the West Side or the Gambinos?" "Who was the better Mafia boss, Joe Massino or Chin Gigante?" And even autobiographies from made members can propagate these narratives, since they or their ghostwriters usually add a bit more pomp and pageantry on their lives in hindsight. It's a lot more interesting to write about the rival families in almost-mythical terms than to write "I could see no discernable differences between the Five Families other than what I read in the newspapers, but I happened to be inducted into the Luccheses because my sponsor Tony was apparently a Lucchese."
A+ analysis
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

gohnjotti wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:15 pm Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe phrases like "Oh this restaurant is a Colombo spot and this restaurant is a Genovese spot" exist more in the eyes of journalists and online mob researchers rather than the New York criminal underworld; most people simply think of places as being "mobbed-up" or "not mobbed-up". Restaurants, bars, after-hours clubs or gambling clubs are not usually specific to any family whereas social clubs that are specific to one family are usually specific to one crew from the family. Greg Scarpa's club was exclusive to his crew, rather than a general "Colombo club," ditto with Bonanno consigliere Anthony Spero's club a few blocks south.
Good post and well put, IMO.

Regarding people just thinking of places as “mobbed up” vs “not mobbed up”, from the experience I’ve had with guys who are on the periphery of this stuff in NYC, that is indeed how they usually talk about it. “That strip club/vending machine route/ATM location/whathaveyou belongs to ‘the boys’”. This communicates a lot already, as one then knows that the place or machine etc is spoken for by someone with clout. Depending on various factors (who the interlocutors are and how keyed in they are to how things work), guys might say “that’s Joe Blow’s joint” or “those machines are Joe Schmoe’s”, and if someone know which Joe is with which Family, then that says enough already. People don’t talk much and often don’t talk openly and use a lot of economy to say a lot with few words. The way that we talk about these things as researchers and enthusiasts on the board is, from what I know, very different from how guys in those circles talk about them and the latter would, I think, find a lot of our discussions and statements very odd and often humorous. Obviously there are people on this board who are *way* more keyed into how things work here than I am, so hopefully they can chime in on how guys in those circles talk.

One thing about Anthony Spero’s club in particular. From what I was told by Michael DiLeonardo, Spero’s joint was in fact frequented by guys from all of the Families, it was like a nexus in BK for intersecting networks. Michael even recalls one time in the 80s when some Chicago guys showed up there looking to collect some money from a Gambino member who was partnered with Chicago in something. Even guys from out of town Families, in other words, were aware that Spero’s club was a place where guys from various NYC Families could be found. Your point I believe holds in general, just seems that Spero’s club was an exception to that tendency.

johnny_scootch wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:21 am Rare is the day anyone is given the opportunity to choose which family he ends up associated to. It doesn’t happen like that very often.
I think this is an important point and, again, it can be easy as an outsider who is into the subject from a distance to fundamentally misunderstand things like this, IMO. Very few guys come into it like “Donnie Brasco” just arriving on the scene out of nowhere and jumping in through purely criminal connections. Guys are born into, and later navigate, a whole web of connections that constrain and guide their relationships to these organizations. Where you grew up, where you live now, where your family was from originally. The organizational networks are embedded in other social networks in all sorts of ways: families, old and new neighborhood ties, industries, etc. These aren’t 100% deterministic, but even when you see some guy who wound up on record or made with another Family than the one that he started out around, or who his relatives were with, etc., there are usually some other intervening factors that precipitated this switch. It wasn’t like he just decided “eh, I weighed my options based on some rational criteria and decided it would be bette to go with the other guys”. People who get drawn into these circles aren’t free agents in the draft, and they aren’t competing in some rational labor market or something. Some guy puts a claim on you, puts you under his wing, etc and generally that determines the subsequent paths open to you.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

If you don't think
A) people wouldn't prefer to be made into the Gambinos vs Cleveland/ Colombos/Decav's/insert whatever family you want
And
B) You don't have more connections with the Binos than Cleve...

I don't know what to say.

And don't bother with the strawman garbage

"It's not like a sports team"
"I weighed up my decision based on rational criteria..."
"It's not like you get to choose your rackets..."

Go pick arguments with someone who actually said the above.

If you don't think the Westside carries more weight on the street than Cleveland. "Cuz dey all made guys", more power to you.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:33 pm If you don't think
A) people wouldn't prefer to be made into the Gambinos vs Cleveland/ Colombos/Decav's/insert whatever family you want
And
B) You don't have more connections with the Binos than Cleve...

I don't know what to say.

And don't bother with the strawman garbage

"It's not like a sports team"
"I weighed up my decision based on rational criteria..."
"It's not like you get to choose your rackets..."

Go pick arguments with someone who actually said the above.

If you don't think the Westside carries more weight on the street than Cleveland. "Cuz dey all made guys", more power to you.
I responded to each point you made regarding why an associate would hypothetically choose the Genovese family over the Colombo family. When I said that an associate doesn't get access to connections, rackets or "manpower" by the crime family, it was not a strawman argument, it was in direct response to this quote from you:
You cannot say there are no advantages to going to with say the Westside vs the DeCavalcantes. Or Colombos.
Unless you can elaborate this further, you're saying that an "advantage" to being on-record with the Genovese family over the Colombo family is, in particular, the respect, connections, rackets, manpower, presence that the larger family could ostensibly offer someone. I responded to each of those points explaining why that's not quite accurate.

And I'll re-iterate my refute to the quote you made here:
If I'm not mistaken, that was in reference to Dennis DeLucia's son being a representative for a small union during the late 2000s. And, while I don't have a specific example of someone talking about a Westside captain like that, I offered you an example of a Colombo family soldier/acting captain from the same timeframe (Anthony Russo in the mid-to-late 2000s) talking about a Gambino family captain (Sonny Juliano) in the exact same manner.

Also, one more thing; Associates don't go "on-record" directly with crime families, they go "on-record" with individual made members. Which is a big reason the hypothetical scenario of picking between two families to go "on-record" with, doesn't translate to reality.

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Sonny, what makes you use retarded mafia shorthand like "Binos"? Like, what compels you to do that?

I'm genuinely interested in the psychology of it.