What do we Know about the 1928 Cleveland Meeting?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: What do we Know about the 1928 Cleveland Meeting?

Post by B. »

Just to clarify, Italian's son-in-law was the Colombo member Vincent Mangano, not the Gambino boss who attended 1928 Statler.

The Colombo Manganos came to the US with Joe Profaci and Vincent Mangano was likely the "James Griffin" who was identified as a Profaci-connected mafioso who lived in Tampa for a time, as Mangano did spend a period living in Tampa alongside his in-laws.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:20 pm Porrello brothers - Licata, Agrigento
Salvatore Todaro - Licata, Agrigento (family originally from Pozzallo, Ragusa)
Dr. Giuseppe Romano - Termini Imerese, Palermo
Joe Porrello posted Joe Profaci’s bond:

Porrello is listed online as a boss who was killed in 1930. His bodyguard and fellow victim was Sam Tilocco, who was also pinched at this meeting. Tilocco was also from Licata; he was born there on Apr 5 1892.

——————-

Magliocco’s bond was posted by a John Creco. I couldn’t find anything on him, name could be misspelled.

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Nice -- "Creco" could be Greco, not sure of any Giovanni/John Grecos in Cleveland though.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 1:13 pm Nice -- "Creco" could be Greco, not sure of any Giovanni/John Grecos in Cleveland though.
It looks like it was John Greco of Akron, OH.

He was born Dec 18 1890 in Lercara Friddi, Palermo, Sicily and was married to Anna Oliveri. In 1923 he was arrested on gun charges with Carlo Rospo.

Rospo would later be arrested for the murder of Big Mike Saviolis alongside meeting attendee Joseph Sacco/Accurso
DKellerman
Associate

Post by DKellerman »

is this the meeting photographed with Profaci in the wheelchair? If so, does anyone have any more info on that? I don't recall reading any accounts of him using one regularly. I'm curious if theres a story behind that
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

DKellerman wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:43 pm is this the meeting photographed with Profaci in the wheelchair? If so, does anyone have any more info on that? I don't recall reading any accounts of him using one regularly. I'm curious if theres a story behind that
His leg was injured in a boating accident. Joe Magliocco testified that Profaci and his sister went on a boat as newlyweds and it collided with another boat. Profaci's knee swelled up he asked his brother-in-law to drive them to Cleveland.