60 Years Ago Today- July 27, 1964 Saladino Boys Arrest

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

60 Years Ago Today- July 27, 1964 Saladino Boys Arrest

Post by cavita »

Sixty years ago today on July 27, 1964 three lives changed forever in the Little Italy section of south Rockford, Illinois. On that evening, 18 year old Carolyn Blades was waiting in the rain at the bus stop at Montague and South Church Streets. A car pulled up containing the driver Frank G. Saladino and passenger Joe W. Saladino, both 18 years old and they offered Blades a ride. Being slightly acquainted with Frank from the neighborhood, the pretty young Blades accepted their offer. Whether Blades agreed to or not, they then drove to La Cantina restaurant on Cunningham Street and bought two quarts of beer. After purchasing the alcohol the men then took Blades west of Rockford where they parked on an isolated rural road southwest of Rockford and took turns beating and raping her. Afterwards the men then brought Carolyn home.

Blades’ mother said when she arrived home from work around 11:30 p.m. she found her daughter in tears with bruises on her face and body. After bringing her to a local hospital, Doctor A.M. Swanson found evidence that Carolyn had been raped and both Saladino men were subsequently arrested. On October 22, 1964 both men were found guilty of raping Blades after a six-man and six-woman jury after about five hours of deliberating. The defendants’ attorney, Max Goldman out of Milwaukee, sought to prove Blades engaged in the act voluntarily and that there was no force on the part of the men, but this was discounted by the jury. Both men were released under $3,500 bond to await sentencing. On November 27, 1964 both men were sentenced to prison terms of 3-10 years each on the rape charge.

The newspapers had stated the Saladino men were cousins but this was erroneously reported. Frank’s family were immigrants from Roccamena, Sicily while Joe’s family was from Marsala and Casteldaccia. The men had obviously known each other from south Rockford as every Italian there knew each other but it probably ran deeper than that. Frank’s father was George Saladino, a longtime and respected made member of the Rockford LCN and who was most likely an early capo for the crime family. Additionally, Frank’s brother-in-law was Phil Cannella, another Rockford LCN made member. Joe’s father was Joseph P. Saladino, who worked on the fringes of the Rockford LCN and Joe’s grandfather was Giuseppe Guttilla, an old time Rockford LCN member who was most likely made in his native Casteldaccia, Sicily. The younger Joe Saladino also claimed as his uncle Augie Maniaci who was a longtime LCN member of the Milwaukee family before his gangland killing in 1975, so both Saladino men seemed destined to go down the path of organized crime in the Rockford area.

On November 27, 1964 both Saladino men were taken to Pontiac State Prison to start serving their terms- Frank was still 18 years old and Joe had turned 19 the month before. On March 11, 1968 after serving almost three and a half years, both Saladino men were released from prison and on April 11, 1970 both men were officially discharged from parole.

Within a month after Frank was discharged from parole he was found to be living in Milwaukee and attending the Milwaukee Institute of Technology while running a small cleaning business on State Street in that city, but that endeavor didn’t last long as he was loaning out money at craps games in Chicago for Joey “The Clown” Lombardo as early as 1975. Frank would become a made member of the Rockford LCN most likely around the early 1980s after his partnership with Chicago ended.

Joe’s path right after his discharge from parole was knocking around Rockford in the gambling circles before he hooked up as a 50-50 bookmaking agent with the Chinatown Crew of the Chicago Outfit starting around 1976, a partnership that would last until the early 1980s. After that, Joe belonged exclusively to Rockford and though it’s known exactly when he became a made member there it was most likely in the late 1980s.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: 60 Years Ago Today- July 27, 1964 Saladino Boys Arrest

Post by sdeitche »

Great stuff, as usual
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Great read and great post. Question - Was it concluded that Frank 'Gumba' Saladino was likely starting to go on the 'lam' once he was found dead in that hotel? I believe reading he was found with a lot of money. Also what was Joe Saladino's ultimate path - is he still around?
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:17 am Great read and great post. Question - Was it concluded that Frank 'Gumba' Saladino was likely starting to go on the 'lam' once he was found dead in that hotel? I believe reading he was found with a lot of money. Also what was Joe Saladino's ultimate path - is he still around?
I have an FBI file that stated he was on the lam around 1981. By that time he was down with the Chinatown Crew from my understanding and hooked back up with the Rockford LCN. He was observed in 1989 accompanying Salvatore Galluzzo to a meeting with Sam Carlisi and Jimmy Marcello at a Rockford restaurant and by the time he was found dead I believe the money found in his motel room was the gambling proceeds from his Rockford collections.
As far as Joe goes, he was deeply involved in gambling in Rockford as his 2006 bust shows but he was also arrested in a 1998 traffic stop with guns, ammo, silencers, masks, etc. in his trunk. If there were any big gambling games in the Rockford area, Joe was involved. After the 2005 Family Secrets case and the renewed interest in Frank Saladino and the Rockford LCN, a retired Sheriff's deputy wrote a letter to the paper citing different law enforcement corruption and he said that Joe was a Field Lieutenant for the Rockford mob.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

cavita wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:51 pm
NorthBuffalo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:17 am Great read and great post. Question - Was it concluded that Frank 'Gumba' Saladino was likely starting to go on the 'lam' once he was found dead in that hotel? I believe reading he was found with a lot of money. Also what was Joe Saladino's ultimate path - is he still around?
I have an FBI file that stated he was on the lam around 1981. By that time he was down with the Chinatown Crew from my understanding and hooked back up with the Rockford LCN. He was observed in 1989 accompanying Salvatore Galluzzo to a meeting with Sam Carlisi and Jimmy Marcello at a Rockford restaurant and by the time he was found dead I believe the money found in his motel room was the gambling proceeds from his Rockford collections.
As far as Joe goes, he was deeply involved in gambling in Rockford as his 2006 bust shows but he was also arrested in a 1998 traffic stop with guns, ammo, silencers, masks, etc. in his trunk. If there were any big gambling games in the Rockford area, Joe was involved. After the 2005 Family Secrets case and the renewed interest in Frank Saladino and the Rockford LCN, a retired Sheriff's deputy wrote a letter to the paper citing different law enforcement corruption and he said that Joe was a Field Lieutenant for the Rockford mob.
Why was he in the hotel room when Frank died though? Was the conventional wisdowm that he got wind of family secrets in 2005 (which I believe dropped the day they found him dead) and hit the road? If so, it shows these guys had friends in high places until the end.

I remember the article about Joe Saladino that is why I asked - sounds like really rough shit I remember there was lyme in the trunk as well as guns and whatnot - I find it fascinating these old guineas in small towns like Rockford are still doing heavy work in this day and age. I'm sure its rare when they do but its still interesting.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 5:55 pm
Why was he in the hotel room when Frank died though? Was the conventional wisdowm that he got wind of family secrets in 2005 (which I believe dropped the day they found him dead) and hit the road? If so, it shows these guys had friends in high places until the end.

I remember the article about Joe Saladino that is why I asked - sounds like really rough shit I remember there was lyme in the trunk as well as guns and whatnot - I find it fascinating these old guineas in small towns like Rockford are still doing heavy work in this day and age. I'm sure its rare when they do but its still interesting.
Frank kept moving around a lot as it was noted he lived in hotels in Freeport, Rockford and Dekalb before ultimately dying in that one in Hampshire, Illinois. He had lived for a time on Kenilworth Avenue in Rockford which was his mother's house he inherited after she passed away. He also lived in a house on Arthur Avenue which David Mandell owned but Frank was always moving around and never stationary for long. I believe he was mobile because he was always traveling around collecting gambling money and felt he would be a target if he stayed in one place too long.

Joe, on the other hand, continued to live in south Rockford and no one bothered him- nothing was ever in his name as well so no real paper trail. He's 78 years old and I still wouldn't mess with him.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

cavita wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:45 am

Frank kept moving around a lot as it was noted he lived in hotels in Freeport, Rockford and Dekalb before ultimately dying in that one in Hampshire, Illinois. He had lived for a time on Kenilworth Avenue in Rockford which was his mother's house he inherited after she passed away. He also lived in a house on Arthur Avenue which David Mandell owned but Frank was always moving around and never stationary for long. I believe he was mobile because he was always traveling around collecting gambling money and felt he would be a target if he stayed in one place too long.

Joe, on the other hand, continued to live in south Rockford and no one bothered him- nothing was ever in his name as well so no real paper trail. He's 78 years old and I still wouldn't mess with him.
Thanks for the response and quite interesting the mob boss living out of motels in these smaller towns. I have no compassion for someone who would attack a young girl but what a sad existence it sounds like towards the end.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Cavita, what’s the latest on Joe Saldino? Is he still seen around town? Any info what he currently is involved in?

Also, great write up as always!!
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:49 am

Thanks for the response and quite interesting the mob boss living out of motels in these smaller towns. I have no compassion for someone who would attack a young girl but what a sad existence it sounds like towards the end.
I don't believe Frank was ever boss of the family. I know Nick Calabrese's threat assessment indicated there was info that he was, but I believe that was what Nick told the FBI either from his own opinion or that's what his brother Frank told him. I knew Frank Saladino in passing when I would see him around town when I was back and though I knew he was made and was afforded respect, I never heard he was boss of the whole thing. He was always someone to be afraid of and if anything, he may have been a capo in his later years as that was the responsibility of the capo in the Rockford family. Frank was really just a unique individual and he always spoke the Sicilian dialect to anyone he could.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:26 am

Cavita, what’s the latest on Joe Saldino? Is he still seen around town? Any info what he currently is involved in?

Also, great write up as always!!
Joe's still around and makes the rounds of the Italian social clubs. He's still involved in gambling because that's what he knows and he's still with his longtime girlfriend.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

cavita wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:09 pm
NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:49 am

I don't believe Frank was ever boss of the family. I know Nick Calabrese's threat assessment indicated there was info that he was, but I believe that was what Nick told the FBI either from his own opinion or that's what his brother Frank told him. I knew Frank Saladino in passing when I would see him around town when I was back and though I knew he was made and was afforded respect, I never heard he was boss of the whole thing. He was always someone to be afraid of and if anything, he may have been a capo in his later years as that was the responsibility of the capo in the Rockford family. Frank was really just a unique individual and he always spoke the Sicilian dialect to anyone he could.
Cavita you have a unique gift with these stories and finding out so much information - really appreciate everything you post. LaPietra and a good chunk of his crew were all Sicilian so I'm sure he fit in - I've heard wiretaps from Gary Jenkins where LaPietra is speaking Sicilian to Tony Ripe Civella - you don't often hear the Chicago guys speaking Italian or Sicilian as much as the east coast families.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:24 pm Cavita you have a unique gift with these stories and finding out so much information - really appreciate everything you post. LaPietra and a good chunk of his crew were all Sicilian so I'm sure he fit in - I've heard wiretaps from Gary Jenkins where LaPietra is speaking Sicilian to Tony Ripe Civella - you don't often hear the Chicago guys speaking Italian or Sicilian as much as the east coast families.
There was an FBI bug in the Buccieri crew’s SAC in Cicero in the 60s, and Angelo LaPietra would definitely speak to guys in “Italian”. We also have transcripts where Giancana and others speak in “Italian” (scare quotes as these guys may have actually been speaking in Sicilian or some mixed vernacular). The problem is that the Chicago FO was lame back then and apparently didn’t have any agents who could understand Italian and didn’t bother to have these sections translated. Instead, the transcript will just read “speaks in Italian” or something similar. Which is super wack because some of the best info may have been communicated in Italian, as it’s likely that guys would code switch to make what they were saying less intelligible to potential outside ears (Judith Exener, for example, said that when she was around Giancana he would frequently speak to his men in “Sicilian”).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:23 pm
NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:24 pm Cavita you have a unique gift with these stories and finding out so much information - really appreciate everything you post. LaPietra and a good chunk of his crew were all Sicilian so I'm sure he fit in - I've heard wiretaps from Gary Jenkins where LaPietra is speaking Sicilian to Tony Ripe Civella - you don't often hear the Chicago guys speaking Italian or Sicilian as much as the east coast families.
There was an FBI bug in the Buccieri crew’s SAC in Cicero in the 60s, and Angelo LaPietra would definitely speak to guys in “Italian”. We also have transcripts where Giancana and others speak in “Italian” (scare quotes as these guys may have actually been speaking in Sicilian or some mixed vernacular). The problem is that the Chicago FO was lame back then and apparently didn’t have any agents who could understand Italian and didn’t bother to have these sections translated. Instead, the transcript will just read “speaks in Italian” or something similar. Which is super wack because some of the best info may have been communicated in Italian, as it’s likely that guys would code switch to make what they were saying less intelligible to potential outside ears (Judith Exener, for example, said that when she was around Giancana he would frequently speak to his men in “Sicilian”).
Yes I'm friendly with Steve Annerino Jr. whose father is all over those transcripts - he was also a fluent speaker. Ironically bc we were just talking about this - Annerino was the one who put Calabrese and Stubitch on record with Chinatown and apparently Calaberese had a major beef with him over it as 'Stevie Reno' would collect from Calabrese and Stubitch. Calabrese said on prison tapes that Steve 'thought he had the power of god' and sounds like Calaabrese was the one who got him shelved/stabbed by LaPietra. I've wondered if Sam Annerino (who I believe Calabrese killed) was related to Steve - I would never ask that question to the son myself.