General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Ivan
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Ivan »

Have you guys (or anyone) ever done a deep dive on the rise of Sarno and what was going on behind the scenes of the Zizzo and Chiaramonti hits?

I don't know much about the era. Would be great if someone could point me toward such a thing.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:02 am
NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:22 am
PolackTony wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:23 pm Yeah, that’s a good find. I had never heard that Joe Pooch was a CI either. Here’s the relevant section from the article that NB posted. His CI status wasn’t mentioned in some other articles about the case, which also involved Mary Daddono and some other guys working in IN and FL:

His CI status was not reported so far as I know during the actual Infelise crew trial, which would make sense, as a confidential informant’s status is, well, confidential (CI intel might be cited by the government in an indictment or sentencing hearing, but the identity of the informant won’t be disclosed). Here it was disclosed in the papers filed for his later case, where the Tribune saw it and reported it. If his status as a CI wasn’t previously known, then it may only have gotten out after this case. Is there any reason to believe that anyone knew about this prior to this time?

By the time Pascucci’s sentence was done, he was in his 80s and I haven’t seen anything myself that points to him being involved in gambling operations subsequently. No one was gonna whack a guy in 2007 (a high profile year in Chicago) because it came out that he had been a CI in the 80s.
Polack you know they whacked Zizzo like a few years prior for infringing on gambling machines in shitty bars. I am just surprised DeLaurentis and the old crew that was under him wouldn't have gone after him - the entire case was built on CI information and there were multiple bookies being extorted wearing wires. I'm really surprised a crew like that who was going around and threatening people with 'trunk music' would have just let that slide.

I'm also surprised a guy in Sarno's crew would work with him - not to mention the daughter of a mob boss (which maybe means he was quite desperate for partners in the end).
All valid comments. Although I think Zizzo's death was a little more complex than just gambling machines. All signs point to that being a major structural move, essential for consolidating power in the outfit as whole. There's no way they are whacking a high profile guy like that in 2006 unless it's absolutely crucial. There's probably more to it than we will ever know, but the general sense is that Zizzo and the old Melrose Park Crew (The Aiuppa/Carlisi/Marcello lineage), was at odds with the newer, younger power base of Sarno's Cicero crew (Ferriola/Infelise lineage) for overall control of the outfit following Marcello's bust in Family Secrets.

My question on that hit has always been whether this was something Sarno was allowed to do on his own, or if he had to get approval from some of the old guard at that time (Difronzo/Andriacchi).
There is evidence out there that the old Carlisi and Ferriola crews (or Melrose Park and Cicero/Taylor St Crews) were merged with Zizzo taking control. Zizzo may also have been acting boss at the time (forthe imprisoned Marcello, awaiting trial in Family Secrets). Sarno may have seen an opportunity for a power grab and taken it, with maybe the poker machines being the straw that broke the dam. Remember too, that there was at least some opinion out there that Sarno should have succeeded as boss instead of Marcello (Sam Volpendesto was caught on tape saying as much).
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Ivan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:34 am Have you guys (or anyone) ever done a deep dive on the rise of Sarno and what was going on behind the scenes of the Zizzo and Chiaramonti hits?

I don't know much about the era. Would be great if someone could point me toward such a thing.
Most signs point to Chiaramonti just stepping on too many toes after he was released from prison. Zizzo's assumed death was probably the result of a power struggle over not just the Cicero crew, but perhaps the whole Outfit.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

I concur with @snakes that the Cicero crew and the old MP crew were merged prior to all of this happening. In the Marcello prison tapes from 2000 or 2001, he asks his brother, Michael (referring to Sarno), “what does he bring in every month?.” This is a clue that Marcello, likely as the boss/capo of the merged MP/Cicero crew, was receiving a cut of Sarnos earnings.

There are many possible scenarios as to the power structure that led to zizzos death. Two primary Possibilities include…

-Zizzo was given Acting Boss after Marcellos arrest. Sarno saw an opportunity to seize control of the outfit by taking him out and jumped on it

-Sarno, not Zizzo, was given acting boss after Marcellos arrest. Zizzo and his crew were not used to being subordinates and weren’t playing nice. Sarno exercised his authority as boss and took him out.

Also, again, where were Johnny Difronzo and Joey Andriacchi in all this?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:29 pm I concur with @snakes that the Cicero crew and the old MP crew were merged prior to all of this happening. In the Marcello prison tapes from 2000 or 2001, he asks his brother, Michael (referring to Sarno), “what does he bring in every month?.” This is a clue that Marcello, likely as the boss/capo of the merged MP/Cicero crew, was receiving a cut of Sarnos earnings.

There are many possible scenarios as to the power structure that led to zizzos death. Two primary Possibilities include…

-Zizzo was given Acting Boss after Marcellos arrest. Sarno saw an opportunity to seize control of the outfit by taking him out and jumped on it

-Sarno, not Zizzo, was given acting boss after Marcellos arrest. Zizzo and his crew were not used to being subordinates and weren’t playing nice. Sarno exercised his authority as boss and took him out.

Also, again, where were Johnny Difronzo and Joey Andriacchi in all this?
It's possible that Andriacchi didn't have any say in the matter if DiFronzo was still in some sort of leadership role. DiFronzo may have been consigliere or had a consigliere-type role, which still kept him involved but not in day-to-day management of the Outfit. It's behind his paywall now, but Scott reported that DiFronzo was involved in meetings with Sarno (both before and after Zizzo's disappearance). If true, it can be assumed that whatever happened to Zizzo was approved by DiFronzo. These meetings may have also approved Sarno as new boss with Marcello having lost his two main guys and in prison pending trial. It's all conjecture until we can get something more in court documents or FBI files.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

I also recall a FBI document stating that sometime around 2007/2008 there was a dispute about the amount of tribute that Sarno was giving Difronzo that was sorted out. I believe he was still involved, and likely had input on the Sarno-Zizzo debacle.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:48 pm I also recall a FBI document stating that sometime around 2007/2008 there was a dispute about the amount of tribute that Sarno was giving Difronzo that was sorted out. I believe he was still involved, and likely had input on the Sarno-Zizzo debacle.
You may be thinking of the affidavit stating that a CI said Sarno was "sharing proceeds" with DiFronzo.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:59 pm
Coloboy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:48 pm I also recall a FBI document stating that sometime around 2007/2008 there was a dispute about the amount of tribute that Sarno was giving Difronzo that was sorted out. I believe he was still involved, and likely had input on the Sarno-Zizzo debacle.
You may be thinking of the affidavit stating that a CI said Sarno was "sharing proceeds" with DiFronzo.
Yes, thank you! Sure seems like he had some type of position. Seems potentially similar to a Accardo/Aiuppa type of relationship
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Anyone know is this is really Paul Koroluk's son? What a violent life these guys expose their kids to - I was told Koroluk Jr. was also in prison for 15 years at age 18 for shooting someone at a birthday party on Chicago's West Side. https://patch.com/illinois/crystallake/ ... roof-vests
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

He’s going to jail for a while.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:38 pm Anyone know is this is really Paul Koroluk's son? What a violent life these guys expose their kids to - I was told Koroluk Jr. was also in prison for 15 years at age 18 for shooting someone at a birthday party on Chicago's West Side. https://patch.com/illinois/crystallake/ ... roof-vests
Yup, that’s Paul Jr.

He was 19 when him and a buddy of his, Manuel Aceituno, got into an altercation at a house party and Aceituno shot a guy in the face and killed him. Prior to the shooting, Paul Jr had pulled the gun used and threatened the guy. Paul Jr was on bond at the time already and facing drug and theft charges that year after being pinched for being one of the co-conspirators in the burglary crew run by Paul Sr and Louie Capuzzi. As Aceituno was the shooter, he received 48 years and is still incarcerated. Both Paul Jr and Aceituno are C-Notes, as is Bobby P Jr.

They are a rough family for sure, multi-generational gangbangers and career criminals. In 1964, John Koroluk, I believe Paul’s eldest brother, was killed when a guy found him and some buddies stripping a stolen car in an alley by Oakley and Race and opened fire on them with a shotgun.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:56 pm
NorthBuffalo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:38 pm Anyone know is this is really Paul Koroluk's son? What a violent life these guys expose their kids to - I was told Koroluk Jr. was also in prison for 15 years at age 18 for shooting someone at a birthday party on Chicago's West Side. https://patch.com/illinois/crystallake/ ... roof-vests
Yup, that’s Paul Jr.

He was 19 when him and a buddy of his, Manuel Aceituno, got into an altercation at a house party and Aceituno shot a guy in the face and killed him. Prior to the shooting, Paul Jr had pulled the gun used and threatened the guy. Paul Jr was on bond at the time already and facing drug and theft charges that year after being pinched for being one of the co-conspirators in the burglary crew run by Paul Sr and Louie Capuzzi. As Aceituno was the shooter, he received 48 years and is still incarcerated. Both Paul Jr and Aceituno are C-Notes, as is Bobby P Jr.

They are a rough family for sure, multi-generational gangbangers and career criminals. In 1964, John Koroluk, I believe Paul’s eldest brother, was killed when a guy found him and some buddies stripping a stolen car in an alley by Oakley and Race and opened fire on them with a shotgun.
Thanks for the background. It's interesting how these guys go so far out of Chicago proper - McHenry is out there based on the maps and quite a small town. Koroluk Jr being caught with bullet proof vests makes me assume he was also in his father's drug rip crew. Do you know if Paul Jr is out of jail right now? Also great info on the brother - I was surprised Koroluk was not in Fred Pacente's book considering that was the same neighborhood.

Also, I've read way back in these forums about Solar/Fratto speaking of Panozzo's father as 'Blind Louie' who was an infamous jewel thief. Any information on Panozzo's origins? These guys are so incredibly low-key yet so violent in this day and age - I just don't see stories like this with east coast families.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

I'll also add its interesting that Koroluk Jr. was caught with such heavy stuff in McHenry, which is where Panozzo was busted for beating a guy up over a loanshark debt. We were just talking about Solly D keeping Pascucci out of Lake County, which is right next door I believe right? Seems the Outfit really has evolved in terms of territory and these guys really do branch out into the suburbs.
Waingro
Straightened out

Post by Waingro »

The date in the article is from 13 years ago anybody know how much time he got and what he's up to now?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Waingro wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:22 pm
The date in the article is from 13 years ago anybody know how much time he got and what he's up to now?
I never saw any follow up regarding whether he was convicted (I’d assume so) or what kind of sentence he received. Either way, he’s not in the IL inmate locator system, so he’s out. No clue what he’s up to now but I’d imagine something illegal.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”