Gambino Family Succession Highlights

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Gambino Family Succession Highlights

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Angelo Santino wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:31 pm
Brovelli wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:41 pm
Angelo Santino wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:09 am
Brovelli wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:19 am Who were the two factions when gambino was seen as neutral? I would assume there was a Calabrian/mainland faction and a Palermo Sicilian one but if the Palermo guys backed anastasia then what were the factions? Interesting
Good question. Rava was one and there was another one.

I've tried using the search function and... *sigh... are there any required reading threads on Mangano-Anastasia-Gambino succession anyone can direct me to? I need to freshen up.
I always associated rava as being part of the “mainland” faction, is that accurate?
He was mainland but I'm not sure that there was a mainland faction per se.
1 Seems like the mainlanders in that family were brought in on an individual basis and placed in Sicilian-Dominant crews. Perhaps this changed after the 1960s?
2 Anastasia appears to have always been with Mangano, some say he got his state in his crew. These men had a 30 year long relationship and all we really know about it could fill half a page.
3 Surprisingly, by the 60's the Family was 60% Sicilian, 30% Nap, and only 10% Calabrese which I expected there to be more of due to Anastasia. They either all died before 1963 or he never had a "mainland" faction behind him. When you look at who benefited from Mangano's disappearance, aside from Anastasia, it was Sicilians who filled the #2 and 3 slots. Anastasia like Gotti after him, likely had a keen prowess and understanding of the compaesani political climate within the family which is why they filled slots with members from other factions. Murdering the Palermo-born Boss of a Palermitan/Sicilian-dominant Family is pretty brazen. And as an under there's no guarantee you'll be elected Boss. But Anastasia checked both boxes.

One thing to note- Carmine Lombardozzi became capodecina of a Sciaccatani-based crew in Little Italy that was Sciacca-based before and after him right up to Joe Corrao. I don't get the sense that he was "installed," instead he had the respect of that crew despite not being from Agrigento or Sicily. NonSicilians have to jump alot more hoops but once they prove they can, they're just as entitled to the same respect and just as eligible as any Sicilian to hold offices.
Mainlanders?
Sicilian,Nap and calabrese which seems to influence the family?
Compaesani political climate?
Palermitan/sicilian dominant family?

I don’t understand these references and the significance behind them but I really would like to
Can you link any sources that would help or anything in particular?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

quadtree wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:34 pm Anastasia and Mangano both served as captains at the same time in the 1920s. The origins of Anastasia's crew are unknown.

I'm guessing that Anastasia's crew and Mangano's crew both ultimately come from Giuseppe Trovato's crew.

Subsequently, it is logical to assume that Vincent Mangano's former crew was headed by his brother Philip, and Anastasia's crew was headed by Vincent Macri, Rava's possible predecessor. It is curious that after the murder of Philip, the boss puts his brother Anthony Anastasia at the head of Mangano’s crew.

I think the Calabrian faction already existed in the early 1920s, because figures such as Annibale Stilo, Biagio Giordano, Carmelo LiConti, Giovanni Giustra, Gregorio Lagana seem at least connected to the family, if not already members of it. Anastasia fits well into this paesani circle.

Apparently, all of these above-mentioned Calabrian gangsters were influential in the criminal world, at least one of them could be the heart of this cluster, who led the rest into the mafia.

The infusion of Calabrians and Napolitans into the family could occur gradually and selectively, diluting the Sicilian crews with “one-off specimens”, such as Lombardozzi or LePore. But there could also be an option like in the Masseria family, where an influential Cammorist was initiated into the mafia and a whole crew was created around him, like Al Capone.
Yeah, those are all good observations and insight. Very good points.

There were Calabrians in the Family, I was just expecting more than 10% but these numbers were from 1963 and as I said, its possible the faction was mostly gone by the 60s, I see no cluster of any Calabrian compaesani. The ones in the 60s are in NE, NJ, MD and BK and their families are from different communi. In fact, there's a bigger case to be made about the Campanians who made up 30% of the Family. (Interestingly, the Genoveses are 60% Nap, 30% Sic and 10% Cal, an almost achiral makeup.)
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:42 pm
Brovelli wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:19 am Who were the two factions when gambino was seen as neutral? I would assume there was a Calabrian/mainland faction and a Palermo Sicilian one but if the Palermo guys backed anastasia then what were the factions? Interesting

I've tried using the search function and... *sigh... are there any required reading threads on Mangano-Anastasia-Gambino succession anyone can direct me to? I need to freshen up.
I always associated rava as being part of the “mainland” faction, is that accurate?
1 Seems like the mainlanders in that family were brought in on an individual basis and placed in Sicilian-Dominant crews. Perhaps this changed after the 1960s?
2 Anastasia appears to have always been with Mangano, some say he got his state in his crew. These men had a 30 year long relationship and all we really know about it could fill half a page.
3 Surprisingly, by the 60's the Family was 60% Sicilian, 30% Nap, and only 10% Calabrese which I expected there to be more of due to Anastasia. They either all died before 1963 or he never had a "mainland" faction behind him. When you look at who benefited from Mangano's disappearance, aside from Anastasia, it was Sicilians who filled the #2 and 3 slots. Anastasia like Gotti after him, likely had a keen prowess and understanding of the compaesani political climate within the family which is why they filled slots with members from other factions. Murdering the Palermo-born Boss of a Palermitan/Sicilian-dominant Family is pretty brazen. And as an under there's no guarantee you'll be elected Boss. But Anastasia checked both boxes.

One thing to note- Carmine Lombardozzi became capodecina of a Sciaccatani-based crew in Little Italy that was Sciacca-based before and after him right up to Joe Corrao. I don't get the sense that he was "installed," instead he had the respect of that crew despite not being from Agrigento or Sicily. NonSicilians have to jump alot more hoops but once they prove they can, they're just as entitled to the same respect and just as eligible as any Sicilian to hold offices.
Mainlanders?

I don’t understand these references and the significance behind them but I really would like to
1 Mainlanders - Italians not born in Sicily or from Sicilian Families.
2-3 - It means nothing now but there was a time when these factions based on hometown origins was a larger factor, its mostly gone today.
4 Yes, the Gambinos was started by members from Palermo, they've always maintained those ties and today, the Gambinos are back in the power of the Palermitans.
Richard Warner and myself wrote an Informer article about the early Mafia in NY where we go into all these terms.
I hope that helps.
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Angelo Santino wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:52 am

Mainlanders?

2-3 - It means nothing now but there was a time when these factions based on hometown origins was a larger factor, its mostly gone today.
4 Yes, the Gambinos was started by members from Palermo, they've always maintained those ties and today, the Gambinos are back in the power of the Palermitans.
Richard Warner and myself wrote an Informer article about the early Mafia in NY where we go into all these terms.
I hope that helps.
Is there anything else for 2-3 such as sources because that is quite interesting
That informer article u are referring to is something I should definitely read. I’ve heard it’s quite good
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Little_Al1991 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:28 am

Mainlanders?

I hope that helps.
Is there anything else for 2-3 such as sources because that is quite interesting
That informer article u are referring to is something I should definitely read. I’ve heard it’s quite good
It's kind of a new methodology that's come to the forefront in the past ten years. I will take credit along with Rick for my part in at least showing how it can lead to connections. People have taken the methodology and made findings all their own. To think there was a time when people didn't look into where people were from and how that factors in. Don't get me wrong, people heard of the Castellammarese or the men of Montedoro but people didn't fully appreciate just how interconnected everything was.
OcSleeper
Full Patched

Post by OcSleeper »

Angelo Santino wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:09 am I've tried using the search function and... *sigh... are there any required reading threads on Mangano-Anastasia-Gambino succession anyone can direct me to? I need to freshen up.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6888&sid=93934baf9 ... 77bd8729cf
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

OcSleeper wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:51 am
Angelo Santino wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:09 am I've tried using the search function and... *sigh... are there any required reading threads on Mangano-Anastasia-Gambino succession anyone can direct me to? I need to freshen up.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6888&sid=93934baf9 ... 77bd8729cf
Thank you. That's great. Whatever I use I will credit Chin.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

As Angelo knows, I'm not sold on Taranto. The evidence is thin and relies on (at times conflicting) newspaper articles from the 1890s that relay claims from the Secret Service who as we know saw things strictly through an operational lens and struggled to understand the mafia even in the 1910s-20s when they had a quality member source feeding them direct info. I know the 1896 case involved confiscated letters and some degree of cooperation but the idea that they accurately understood the situation in formal terms in 1896 and the media conveyed it correctly is difficult without seeing the hard intel.

That Taranto turned out to be Messinese adds to the skepticism as these were orgs built around Western Sicilian kinship and hometown heritage, patterns we have overwhelming evidence for in Sicily and the early US. The Gambino Family specifically was led exclusively by clannish Palermitano bosses between ~1901 and 1951, then again between 1957 and 1985. The capo dei capi position was held exclusively by Western Sicilians between the early 1900s and 1931, covering all known men who held the role. If a Messinese came to the US via Tunis in 1888 and was soon not only a Family boss over a Palermo-centric Family but also capo dei capi it would fundamentally change our understanding of how the mafia developed and how it worked, or indicate there was much more to Taranto's story although it would be hard to speculate. Everything we know points to the mafia being more conservative the earlier back it goes and there's a difference too between considering the membership of a guy like Taranto vs. him holding these positions.

We deeply scrutinize later claims from FBI files and member sources during eras we know much more about, so using similar standards for Taranto I just don't have confidence in the info although we'll of course never know for sure. It is an excellent find and absolutely worthy of discussion as it is clear Taranto/Bettini and their associates were involved with the mafia network and fascinating leads/connections were found, it is just the formal claims about Taranto I question. Knowing what we know about the SS even later on, if they discovered Taranto had an important operational role in counterfeiting I'm not sure they'd be in a position to make a distinction between that and the formal mafia organization they struggled to understand even much later with great sources.

I believe Angelo/Rick/Lennert absolutely stumbled on something important that should inform all discussions about NYC in the 1890s and they know my analysis is filled with respect but it is simply a discussion rather than something that can be put in a chart or succession list. As I've said before, I'm 100% sold on everything they published about the 1900s onward.

--

With Anastasia, he came up around a Calabrian group in Brooklyn who had ties to the national Calabrian network that fed into other Families. This included Jimmy Macri (daughter married Pittsburgh leader Tony Ripepi's son), his brother Benny Macri, and Gioacchino Parisi (likely transferred to Philly). Anastasia himself was close to Calabrians in other Families like Costello/Moretti, Bazzano, and the Philly guys, and Buscetta confirming Anastasia sought to have 'ndranghetisti recognized by Cosa Nostra in Italy adds to the likelihood that the Brooklyn Calabrian group around Giordano had roots in the Calabrian Camorra ('ndrangheta). Many of them were also paesans of Rocco Pellegrino who was a confirmed Camorra leader.

Others stayed in NYC and some of those early Calabrians were still around later but a few important ones like the Macris and Joe Franco died in the 1950s while others had gotten old post-Anastasia. Important ones like Giustra and LiConti were of course killed much earlier and a few others from that time may have been members but were never confirmed. Offhand, Calabrian captains I can think of would be Joe Franco/DiFranco, Tony Anastasio, and it looks like Jimmy Macri was a likely one before his murder. I don't think there's any reason to think these were "Calabrian" crews although it is interesting Traina told the FBI he believed the Lombardozzis were Calabarese even though they weren't as Carmine was Franco's main man and successor, which could suggest guys around them were seen as de facto Calabrians; however that crew also had roots in the Sciacchitani as Angelo mentioned.

Anastasia definitely had a faction loyal to him, as Magaddino said around 12 captains were under "Dannarao" (ph; no doubt Rava) during the factionalism after Anastasia was killed. It looks to have been just two or three crews by the time Dellacroce rises but it does seem to have been a more mainland / Americanized element although not "Calabrese".

Like Angelo said though, there was a close relationship between Anastasia and the Manganos early on that turned sour. Vincenzo Mangano was close to the Scottos going back to the 1910s and a daughter married an Anthony Scotto, possibly a relative of the member who married Tony Anastasio's daughter. Critchley said Mangano was also a bro-in-law of Jack Parisi but it wasn't through their wives and I can't substantiate it through other relatives so not sure where he got it.

--

Re: Mangano's murder, I'm not really sure what the conspiracy entailed beyond Anastasia claiming it was in self-defense. He must have done some politicking in advance though and we can infer a few things. For one, Joe Traina told the FBI that Mangano was two-faced which could mean he supported or at least didn't protest the murder. Even though they went to Sicily together in 1925, attended 1928 Statler together, and seemingly ran the Family together after Mineo was killed, they supported opposite sides in the Castellammarese War.

Frank Scalise and the Castellano-Gambino clan like Traina were on the Maranzano side while Mangano was a diehard Masseria supporter. The pro-Maranzano Palermitani were influenced by D'Aquila's murder so I think it's possible Mangano at least went along with the D'Aquila murder or helped smooth out the aftermath even though he was once close to him. It makes sense though that the Scalise-Riccobono, Gambino-Castellano, and Traina groups were at least okay with the Mangano murder. Mangano was an old world Palermitan mafioso from his own clan but interestingly was kind of an outsider among these other clans.

What's interesting though is Anastasia as well as Joe Biondo and the Palermitano Toto Chiri were aligned with Mangano circa 1930-1931 and Chiri ends up Anastasia's underboss while Biondo was apparently removed as consigliere by the time Mangano is killed but was a key conspirator in Anastasia's own murder as part of the Riccobono faction and ends up underboss. A lot of moving pieces and shifting alliances.

Then there is the possible musical chairs on Anastasia's admin. Biondo is consigliere in 1931 but out of the spot by the 1950s and Bill Bonanno identifies Scalise as consigliere under Anastasia while other sources say underboss. But Chiri and Conte are also said to be Anastasia underbosses and one report even says Rava held it which I don't think is true. Carlo Gambino is definitely consigliere by the time Anastasia is killed.

The best info in my opinion is Santantonio's info that Anastasia was killed by the Riccobono faction when his own loyalist Franco told Riccobono about Anastasia's plan to murder him, which interestingly came after Anastasia killed Riccobono's relative Scalise. He said Steve Grammauta was one of the killers and DiLeonardo was also told that on the street. Santantonio said Domenico Arcuri was used as a messenger afterward which suggests he may have been complicit. Though the idea that Carlo Gambino masterminded the takeover looks increasingly unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised if he provided political support as well and we know Gambino too was close to Scalise. Magaddino said Gambino was made acting boss because he was consigliere and to prevent the Family from splitting in two which complements Bill B's statement that consigliere was traditionally acting boss. There is also Joe B's info that Gambino was mistreated by Anastasia and reports that he'd been demoted as capodecina for a time. I'd guess he was ostensibly neutral but supported the murder.

--

Rambling too much and probably much I'm forgetting but great topic. Large Family, long history, factionalism, complex politics, old Sicilian clans but also powerful mainlanders and a great case study in the Americanization of the mafia.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:16 pm As Angelo knows, I'm not sold on Taranto. The evidence is thin and relies on (at times conflicting) newspaper articles from the 1890s that relay claims from the Secret Service who as we know saw things strictly through an operational lens and struggled to understand the mafia even in the 1910s-20s when they had a quality member source feeding them direct info. I know the 1896 case involved confiscated letters and some degree of cooperation but the idea that they accurately understood the situation in formal terms in 1896 and the media conveyed it correctly is difficult without seeing the hard intel.

That Taranto turned out to be Messinese adds to the skepticism as these were orgs built around Western Sicilian kinship and hometown heritage, patterns we have overwhelming evidence for in Sicily and the early US. The Gambino Family specifically was led exclusively by clannish Palermitano bosses between ~1901 and 1951, then again between 1957 and 1985. The capo dei capi position was held exclusively by Western Sicilians between the early 1900s and 1931, covering all known men who held the role. If a Messinese came to the US via Tunis in 1888 and was soon not only a Family boss over a Palermo-centric Family but also capo dei capi it would fundamentally change our understanding of how the mafia developed and how it worked, or indicate there was much more to Taranto's story although it would be hard to speculate. Everything we know points to the mafia being more conservative the earlier back it goes and there's a difference too between considering the membership of a guy like Taranto vs. him holding these positions.

We deeply scrutinize later claims from FBI files and member sources during eras we know much more about, so using similar standards for Taranto I just don't have confidence in the info although we'll of course never know for sure. It is an excellent find and absolutely worthy of discussion as it is clear Taranto/Bettini and their associates were involved with the mafia network and fascinating leads/connections were found, it is just the formal claims about Taranto I question. Knowing what we know about the SS even later on, if they discovered Taranto had an important operational role in counterfeiting I'm not sure they'd be in a position to make a distinction between that and the formal mafia organization they struggled to understand even much later with great sources.

I believe Angelo/Rick/Lennert absolutely stumbled on something important that should inform all discussions about NYC in the 1890s and they know my analysis is filled with respect but it is simply a discussion rather than something that can be put in a chart or succession list. As I've said before, I'm 100% sold on everything they published about the 1900s onward.

--

With Anastasia, he came up around a Calabrian group in Brooklyn who had ties to the national Calabrian network that fed into other Families. This included Jimmy Macri (daughter married Pittsburgh leader Tony Ripepi's son), his brother Benny Macri, and Gioacchino Parisi (likely transferred to Philly). Anastasia himself was close to Calabrians in other Families like Costello/Moretti, Bazzano, and the Philly guys, and Buscetta confirming Anastasia sought to have 'ndranghetisti recognized by Cosa Nostra in Italy adds to the likelihood that the Brooklyn Calabrian group around Giordano had roots in the Calabrian Camorra ('ndrangheta). Many of them were also paesans of Rocco Pellegrino who was a confirmed Camorra leader.

Others stayed in NYC and some of those early Calabrians were still around later but a few important ones like the Macris and Joe Franco died in the 1950s while others had gotten old post-Anastasia. Important ones like Giustra and LiConti were of course killed much earlier and a few others from that time may have been members but were never confirmed. Offhand, Calabrian captains I can think of would be Joe Franco/DiFranco, Tony Anastasio, and it looks like Jimmy Macri was a likely one before his murder. I don't think there's any reason to think these were "Calabrian" crews although it is interesting Traina told the FBI he believed the Lombardozzis were Calabarese even though they weren't as Carmine was Franco's main man and successor, which could suggest guys around them were seen as de facto Calabrians; however that crew also had roots in the Sciacchitani as Angelo mentioned.

Anastasia definitely had a faction loyal to him, as Magaddino said around 12 captains were under "Dannarao" (ph; no doubt Rava) during the factionalism after Anastasia was killed. It looks to have been just two or three crews by the time Dellacroce rises but it does seem to have been a more mainland / Americanized element although not "Calabrese".

Like Angelo said though, there was a close relationship between Anastasia and the Manganos early on that turned sour. Vincenzo Mangano was close to the Scottos going back to the 1910s and a daughter married an Anthony Scotto, possibly a relative of the member who married Tony Anastasio's daughter. Critchley said Mangano was also a bro-in-law of Jack Parisi but it wasn't through their wives and I can't substantiate it through other relatives so not sure where he got it.

--

Re: Mangano's murder, I'm not really sure what the conspiracy entailed beyond Anastasia claiming it was in self-defense. He must have done some politicking in advance though and we can infer a few things. For one, Joe Traina told the FBI that Mangano was two-faced which could mean he supported or at least didn't protest the murder. Even though they went to Sicily together in 1925, attended 1928 Statler together, and seemingly ran the Family together after Mineo was killed, they supported opposite sides in the Castellammarese War.

Frank Scalise and the Castellano-Gambino clan like Traina were on the Maranzano side while Mangano was a diehard Masseria supporter. The pro-Maranzano Palermitani were influenced by D'Aquila's murder so I think it's possible Mangano at least went along with the D'Aquila murder or helped smooth out the aftermath even though he was once close to him. It makes sense though that the Scalise-Riccobono, Gambino-Castellano, and Traina groups were at least okay with the Mangano murder. Mangano was an old world Palermitan mafioso from his own clan but interestingly was kind of an outsider among these other clans.

What's interesting though is Anastasia as well as Joe Biondo and the Palermitano Toto Chiri were aligned with Mangano circa 1930-1931 and Chiri ends up Anastasia's underboss while Biondo was apparently removed as consigliere by the time Mangano is killed but was a key conspirator in Anastasia's own murder as part of the Riccobono faction and ends up underboss. A lot of moving pieces and shifting alliances.

Then there is the possible musical chairs on Anastasia's admin. Biondo is consigliere in 1931 but out of the spot by the 1950s and Bill Bonanno identifies Scalise as consigliere under Anastasia while other sources say underboss. But Chiri and Conte are also said to be Anastasia underbosses and one report even says Rava held it which I don't think is true. Carlo Gambino is definitely consigliere by the time Anastasia is killed.

The best info in my opinion is Santantonio's info that Anastasia was killed by the Riccobono faction when his own loyalist Franco told Riccobono about Anastasia's plan to murder him, which interestingly came after Anastasia killed Riccobono's relative Scalise. He said Steve Grammauta was one of the killers and DiLeonardo was also told that on the street. Santantonio said Domenico Arcuri was used as a messenger afterward which suggests he may have been complicit. Though the idea that Carlo Gambino masterminded the takeover looks increasingly unlikely, I wouldn't be surprised if he provided political support as well and we know Gambino too was close to Scalise. Magaddino said Gambino was made acting boss because he was consigliere and to prevent the Family from splitting in two which complements Bill B's statement that consigliere was traditionally acting boss. There is also Joe B's info that Gambino was mistreated by Anastasia and reports that he'd been demoted as capodecina for a time. I'd guess he was ostensibly neutral but supported the murder.

--

Rambling too much and probably much I'm forgetting but great topic. Large Family, long history, factionalism, complex politics, old Sicilian clans but also powerful mainlanders and a great case study in the Americanization of the mafia.
1 I hear you on Taranto and I share the same thoughts. I think you will find my coverage more than fair and I raise the points that his being Messinese is eyebrow raising and yes, the SS had limited intel and their conclusions of him as 'king of the mafia' may have been wrong.
2 Thank you for your thoughts and additions. I will credit you.
3 If you have any thoughts on Gambino please share because the only noteworthy thing I'm seeing is he provided stability and given the changeover in other families he defaulted into the senior commission member despite not having been boss for very long. All the Machiavellian, Lion and a Fox, master manipulator stuff I don't buy into.
quadtree
Straightened out

Post by quadtree »

Mr. B.'s arguments, as always, sound very reasonable and correct. I also doubt that Taranto was the boss, subsequently he completely disappears from view and he is not mentioned in any internal sources, which take precedence over information from outsiders.

I don’t remember where I read about this, but after leaving prison, Taranto was engaged in selling candies and even palmistry. Can you imagine Morello practicing palmistry after resigning as capo dei capi?

Joseph Trovato is mentioned in the diagram as a possible interim boss, where does this conclusion come from and what is known about him?
Little_Al1991
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Little_Al1991 »

Angelo Santino wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:39 am
Little_Al1991 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:28 am

Mainlanders?

I hope that helps.
It's kind of a new methodology that's come to the forefront in the past ten years. I will take credit along with Rick for my part in at least showing how it can lead to connections. People have taken the methodology and made findings all their own. To think there was a time when people didn't look into where people were from and how that factors in. Don't get me wrong, people heard of the Castellammarese or the men of Montedoro but people didn't fully appreciate just how interconnected everything was.
I have a lot to learn

Thank you
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Angelo Santino wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:51 pm 3 If you have any thoughts on Gambino please share because the only noteworthy thing I'm seeing is he provided stability and given the changeover in other families he defaulted into the senior commission member despite not having been boss for very long. All the Machiavellian, Lion and a Fox, master manipulator stuff I don't buy into.
Gambino's conduct is more vague before he becomes boss and it's hard to speculate on the finer details. Worth getting into that in another post, but after he becomes boss we have a lot of claims to interpret.

- The only substantial source I can think of who paints Gambino in a Machiavellian light is Joe Bonanno. Has another member ever made Gambino out to be that way? We have anecdotes from guys like Dom Montiglio who claimed when he met Gambino he told him about the Lion and the Fox, and maybe Gambino did like Machiavelli, but there's a difference between quoting Machiavelli vs. carrying out full-blown Machiavellian conspiracies all the time.

-Joe Bonanno was biased against Gambino and goes out of his way to disparage him, but he did say Gambino derived much of his power/influence from his in-law Tommy Lucchese and became weaker when Lucchese died which does coincide with Gambino's heart issues, appointing Castellano acting boss, and taking a step back all around. I doubt Gambino was a pawn of Lucchese but if nothing else the two represented a unified front on the Commission so Lucchese's death inevitably had an impact on Gambino's position, much as the death of Profaci impacted Bonanno. In terms of their relationship, Lucchese had been a boss for years and an underboss even longer by the time Gambino became boss so I'm sure Lucchese's deeper experience as a mafia boss impacted their dynamic and that Lucchese provided guidance when it came to ordinary admin matters in addition to whatever scheming they did. I doubt it was a "the man behind the man" thing but if it was, as Bonanno suggests, then it was Lucchese who was truly Machiavellian rather than Gambino anyway.

- I don't buy the "Don Carlo boss of bosses" mastermind angle obviously but after becoming official boss and Commission member Gambino did cultivate immense power. By 1964 he had bosses of other Families like Angelo Bruno, Sam DeCavalcante, and Joe Colombo under his influence and they often consulted with and arguably took direction from him even though Bruno and Colombo were Commission members themselves and DeCavalcante's avugad was the Genovese Family. I wouldn't call them minions of Gambino but the Bruno and DeCavalcante tapes as well as Scarpa's info, along with other accounts, show Gambino was a consistent influence on those bosses and their Families. It could be argued these bosses simply liked Gambino and as friends they valued his opinion and enjoyed mutual benefits but often that's what alliances and mafia patronage look like. This isn't a pulp movie or some cartoon of a fish getting eaten by a bigger fish which is getting eaten by an even bigger fish.

- I hate the Machiavellian trope but if there is one example of Gambino's Machiavellianism, it would be his actions with the Colombo Family. When the Gallo revolt started, Gambino gave an audience to the Gallo brothers to hear their case and some of them were placed under Gambino's protection which naturally upset the Profaci faction, who felt Gambino legitimized them. During the war, Charlie LoCicero played both sides against each other while allegedly consulting with Gambino. Joe Colombo then informs Gambino(?) that Magliocco is plotting to kill Gambino and Lucchese, further ousting Magliocco from his de facto boss role before his death. Gambino forms a close relationship with Joe Colombo and is believed to have influenced Colombo's rise as acting then official boss / Commission member, this relationship continuing for years and it being widely perceived that Colombo unofficially answered to Gambino. Note that the alliance with Colombo gave the Lucchese/Gambino alliance three votes in NYC alone in addition to Philly. We know from both Joe Bonanno and Tony Accardo (talking about Bonanno) that these Commission voting blocks were crucial and often on their minds. Vito Genovese was originally part of this block with Gambino and Lucchese but it's not clear if it continued when he went away.

- It's funny because Bonanno says the Genovese-Lucchese-Gambino voting block was the "liberal" wing of the Commission. Genovese and to some degree Lucchese I can understand, but on paper Gambino is identical to Bonanno and Profaci: Sicilian-born, came to the US in young adulthood, from a clan where virtually all male relatives are members if not leaders, relatives in the Sicilian mafia, highly traditional and culturally Sicilian. Bonanno says Anastasia also represented the liberal faction when he was on the Commission but Bonanno seems to have seen the Calabrian Anastasia as more of a wild card or independent as it's clear he preferred Anastasia over Gambino and linked Gambino to the formation of a new liberal voting block with Anastasia's enemies Lucchese and Genovese. Bonanno says straight up that "conservative" means the traditional Sicilian approach while "liberal" means Americanized so it's funny Bonanno placed Gambino with the liberal wing given Gambino was basically a mirror image of Bonanno, but maybe there was more to Gambino than meets the eye or he aligned himself with the liberal faction simply because it was advantageous.

- I don't see direct influence from Gambino in the Bonanno war. Bonanno blames Gambino/Lucchese along with Magaddino but from what we know it's mainly Magaddino and I can't confidently say he was doing anything underhanded. Bonanno was causing so many problems across the country and his misconduct was so well-known there was no need for a conspiracy to bring him down. The Commission was also unified against him not only for his infractions but because he openly disrespected the Commission itself. You could argue Gambino meddled with the Profaci/Magliocco's Family to indirectly undermine Bonanno politically but again Bonanno was so blatantly and arrogantly out of line it is difficult to blame anyone but Bonanno himself.

- Even though he had influence in Philly, NJ, and the Colombos, it doesn't seem like he tried to meddle in their affairs. Sam DeCavalcante honored Gambino's union requests and committed a murder for him but that's what mafia bosses do for each other. Although both the DeCavalcantes and Philly had internal conflicts in the late 1950s that led to bosses stepping down, there is nothing to suggest Gambino played a role and he likely wasn't official boss / Commission member yet anyway.

- Can't think of examples where Gambino pulled strings around the country either even though he was likely avugad for Tampa and had interests all over. Between 1967 and 1976 I can't think of him involving himself in much aside from turning his back on Joe Colombo. You could theorize Gambino pushed Colombo's antics with the League then used it against him to get rid of him but Gambino was winding down by then and there are reports from 1967 or 1968 that say Gambino and Colombo were already becoming distant. I don't see where Gambino had anything to gain from setting Colombo up for failure and Colombo was doing a great job alienating his peers on his own.

- Can't think of anything he did within his own Family that was Machiavellian or manipulative. Not a single captain or admin member was killed between 1960 and 1975. For a Family that large and complex you don't hear about a lot of Family drama. Biondo's demotion doesn't seem to have been anything underhanded on Gambino's part. He allowed Dellacroce to act as a sostituto over the old Anastasia faction first as a capodecina then as underboss, letting him direct the affairs of that group as he saw fit. It isn't until his death that the Family's natural factionalism started becoming a problem again and even then it took nearly a decade to come to a head. I don't see where he played his members against each other or manipulated them in any way, nor do I see where he did this with other Families apart from possibly the Colombos who to be fair were already heading toward disarray and at most Gambino exploited it.

- We already hit on his rise as boss and there's not much to suggest he schemed his way into becoming boss. All kinds of problems were coming to a head under Anastasia and in NYC as a whole, Scalise was killed, and the Riccobono-Biondo group, a power in their own right, planned and executed the murder. This comes from a member CI under Riccobono-Biondo and what DiLeonardo heard adds support. Gambino seems to have been ostensibly neutral as consigliere hence becoming acting boss but Bonanno believed Tommy Lucchese and Vito Genovese pushed for it. That would make Gambino a pawn, though, not the mastermind. Before a boss is killed the would-be killers often send out feelers to allies in other Families so it isn't hard to believe Gambino played a political role in the Anastasia murder by reaching out to Tommy Lucchese for quiet support beforehand, though Bonanno said he wasn't sure if Lucchese and Genovese condoned the Anastasia hit or simply looked the other way as they hated Anastasia.

- Aside from that, what is there? Am I forgetting another story? Joe Bonanno is the prime example of a Machiavellian mafia boss and Gambino doesn't come close to that unless you just start making stuff up. And of course in Bonanno's account almost everyone except for him and Joe Profaci were Machiavellian schemers, including Gambino.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:06 am
Angelo Santino wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:51 pm 3 If you have any thoughts on Gambino please share because the only noteworthy thing I'm seeing is he provided stability and given the changeover in other families he defaulted into the senior commission member despite not having been boss for very long. All the Machiavellian, Lion and a Fox, master manipulator stuff I don't buy into.
Gambino's conduct is more vague before he becomes boss and it's hard to speculate on the finer details. Worth getting into that in another post, but after he becomes boss we have a lot of claims to interpret.

- The only substantial source I can think of who paints Gambino in a Machiavellian light is Joe Bonanno. Has another member ever made Gambino out to be that way? We have anecdotes from guys like Dom Montiglio who claimed when he met Gambino he told him about the Lion and the Fox, and maybe Gambino did like Machiavelli, but there's a difference between quoting Machiavelli vs. carrying out full-blown Machiavellian conspiracies all the time.

-Joe Bonanno was biased against Gambino and goes out of his way to disparage him, but he did say Gambino derived much of his power/influence from his in-law Tommy Lucchese and became weaker when Lucchese died which does coincide with Gambino's heart issues, appointing Castellano acting boss, and taking a step back all around. I doubt Gambino was a pawn of Lucchese but if nothing else the two represented a unified front on the Commission so Lucchese's death inevitably had an impact on Gambino's position, much as the death of Profaci impacted Bonanno. In terms of their relationship, Lucchese had been a boss for years and an underboss even longer by the time Gambino became boss so I'm sure Lucchese's deeper experience as a mafia boss impacted their dynamic and that Lucchese provided guidance when it came to ordinary admin matters in addition to whatever scheming they did. I doubt it was a "the man behind the man" thing but if it was, as Bonanno suggests, then it was Lucchese who was truly Machiavellian rather than Gambino anyway.

- I don't buy the "Don Carlo boss of bosses" mastermind angle obviously but after becoming official boss and Commission member Gambino did cultivate immense power. By 1964 he had bosses of other Families like Angelo Bruno, Sam DeCavalcante, and Joe Colombo under his influence and they often consulted with and arguably took direction from him even though Bruno and Colombo were Commission members themselves and DeCavalcante's avugad was the Genovese Family. I wouldn't call them minions of Gambino but the Bruno and DeCavalcante tapes as well as Scarpa's info, along with other accounts, show Gambino was a consistent influence on those bosses and their Families. It could be argued these bosses simply liked Gambino and as friends they valued his opinion and enjoyed mutual benefits but often that's what alliances and mafia patronage look like. This isn't a pulp movie or some cartoon of a fish getting eaten by a bigger fish which is getting eaten by an even bigger fish.

- I hate the Machiavellian trope but if there is one example of Gambino's Machiavellianism, it would be his actions with the Colombo Family. When the Gallo revolt started, Gambino gave an audience to the Gallo brothers to hear their case and some of them were placed under Gambino's protection which naturally upset the Profaci faction, who felt Gambino legitimized them. During the war, Charlie LoCicero played both sides against each other while allegedly consulting with Gambino. Joe Colombo then informs Gambino(?) that Magliocco is plotting to kill Gambino and Lucchese, further ousting Magliocco from his de facto boss role before his death. Gambino forms a close relationship with Joe Colombo and is believed to have influenced Colombo's rise as acting then official boss / Commission member, this relationship continuing for years and it being widely perceived that Colombo unofficially answered to Gambino. Note that the alliance with Colombo gave the Lucchese/Gambino alliance three votes in NYC alone in addition to Philly. We know from both Joe Bonanno and Tony Accardo (talking about Bonanno) that these Commission voting blocks were crucial and often on their minds. Vito Genovese was originally part of this block with Gambino and Lucchese but it's not clear if it continued when he went away.

- It's funny because Bonanno says the Genovese-Lucchese-Gambino voting block was the "liberal" wing of the Commission. Genovese and to some degree Lucchese I can understand, but on paper Gambino is identical to Bonanno and Profaci: Sicilian-born, came to the US in young adulthood, from a clan where virtually all male relatives are members if not leaders, relatives in the Sicilian mafia, highly traditional and culturally Sicilian. Bonanno says Anastasia also represented the liberal faction when he was on the Commission but Bonanno seems to have seen the Calabrian Anastasia as more of a wild card or independent as it's clear he preferred Anastasia over Gambino and linked Gambino to the formation of a new liberal voting block with Anastasia's enemies Lucchese and Genovese. Bonanno says straight up that "conservative" means the traditional Sicilian approach while "liberal" means Americanized so it's funny Bonanno placed Gambino with the liberal wing given Gambino was basically a mirror image of Bonanno, but maybe there was more to Gambino than meets the eye or he aligned himself with the liberal faction simply because it was advantageous.

- I don't see direct influence from Gambino in the Bonanno war. Bonanno blames Gambino/Lucchese along with Magaddino but from what we know it's mainly Magaddino and I can't confidently say he was doing anything underhanded. Bonanno was causing so many problems across the country and his misconduct was so well-known there was no need for a conspiracy to bring him down. The Commission was also unified against him not only for his infractions but because he openly disrespected the Commission itself. You could argue Gambino meddled with the Profaci/Magliocco's Family to indirectly undermine Bonanno politically but again Bonanno was so blatantly and arrogantly out of line it is difficult to blame anyone but Bonanno himself.

- Even though he had influence in Philly, NJ, and the Colombos, it doesn't seem like he tried to meddle in their affairs. Sam DeCavalcante honored Gambino's union requests and committed a murder for him but that's what mafia bosses do for each other. Although both the DeCavalcantes and Philly had internal conflicts in the late 1950s that led to bosses stepping down, there is nothing to suggest Gambino played a role and he likely wasn't official boss / Commission member yet anyway.

- Can't think of examples where Gambino pulled strings around the country either even though he was likely avugad for Tampa and had interests all over. Between 1967 and 1976 I can't think of him involving himself in much aside from turning his back on Joe Colombo. You could theorize Gambino pushed Colombo's antics with the League then used it against him to get rid of him but Gambino was winding down by then and there are reports from 1967 or 1968 that say Gambino and Colombo were already becoming distant. I don't see where Gambino had anything to gain from setting Colombo up for failure and Colombo was doing a great job alienating his peers on his own.

- Can't think of anything he did within his own Family that was Machiavellian or manipulative. Not a single captain or admin member was killed between 1960 and 1975. For a Family that large and complex you don't hear about a lot of Family drama. Biondo's demotion doesn't seem to have been anything underhanded on Gambino's part. He allowed Dellacroce to act as a sostituto over the old Anastasia faction first as a capodecina then as underboss, letting him direct the affairs of that group as he saw fit. It isn't until his death that the Family's natural factionalism started becoming a problem again and even then it took nearly a decade to come to a head. I don't see where he played his members against each other or manipulated them in any way, nor do I see where he did this with other Families apart from possibly the Colombos who to be fair were already heading toward disarray and at most Gambino exploited it.

- We already hit on his rise as boss and there's not much to suggest he schemed his way into becoming boss. All kinds of problems were coming to a head under Anastasia and in NYC as a whole, Scalise was killed, and the Riccobono-Biondo group, a power in their own right, planned and executed the murder. This comes from a member CI under Riccobono-Biondo and what DiLeonardo heard adds support. Gambino seems to have been ostensibly neutral as consigliere hence becoming acting boss but Bonanno believed Tommy Lucchese and Vito Genovese pushed for it. That would make Gambino a pawn, though, not the mastermind. Before a boss is killed the would-be killers often send out feelers to allies in other Families so it isn't hard to believe Gambino played a political role in the Anastasia murder by reaching out to Tommy Lucchese for quiet support beforehand, though Bonanno said he wasn't sure if Lucchese and Genovese condoned the Anastasia hit or simply looked the other way as they hated Anastasia.

- Aside from that, what is there? Am I forgetting another story? Joe Bonanno is the prime example of a Machiavellian mafia boss and Gambino doesn't come close to that unless you just start making stuff up. And of course in Bonanno's account almost everyone except for him and Joe Profaci were Machiavellian schemers, including Gambino.
Really? My takeaway was that JB provided the counter-narrative to the Machiavellian Lion and a Fox. He called him a squirrel and recounted how Anastasia almost decked him and Carlo just smiled, he seemed to imply he was Lucchese's lackey once he was boss, didn't he? Even Capeci opined that Bonanno was jealous of Gambino who "had the last laugh."

It seems, and you've brought this up before, the more famous someone is the more difficult it is to obtain actual information. There's men and there's legends and all we ever hear about Anastasia is the Mad Hatter Lord High Executioner and Murder Inc shit. We know almost next to nothing about how he administered the family, same goes for Gambino, and Costello now that we're making a list. Costello, different family, but all we ever hear about is the gambling and the links to politicians (which went nowhere, its not like he got legislation changed or ran for office) and many have speculated that Costello didn't care about LCN, he was just flying around making deals without a care in the world until Don Vito shot him. I once remember someone writing an article stating they can't envision Costello ever going through a ceremony... But then there's FBI files reporting his power on the commission as the liberal wing leader and his pushing for a Nap NE boss. It's like the more someone of is known the less they are known about.

As for as other members who painted him this way. No one who knew him personally. Aside from the very rare Boss of Bosses book, most Gambino literature serves as foreplay into John Gotti. Capeci and Anastasia (both damned good writers) kinda set the narrative for their respective cities with almost all other authors who write on the subject being influenced by. Both Bruno and Gambino are romanticized as two "old school dons out making money not headlines" and who were grand visionaries. "The old guys, they had smarts. Given the opportunity, they could have ran a fortune 500 company. The same can't be said for those who came after them. And the guys running the families today? Fuhgeddabout." It's like they think mafiosi generations have a half-life.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Also, now that I'm looking into this era, seems like an argument could be made that there was a mainland/blue collar/street guy faction, not a crew per se but sub-demographic in the family that had a nominal head that passed from Anastasia to Rava to Dellacroce to Gotti. It didn't disappear under Gambino just like the Sicilians didn't disappear under the Gottis. And with the Sicilians back in control, this other faction is likely still around just not holding admin slots. And today the word "faction" might be misleading because those that constitute it might not even be aware or look at it that way, they're just not from Mafia Families either born here or in Sicily and people with common backgrounds often get along, same goes for mafia members.

I think back to Gravano mocking Tommy Gambino Jr for working in a clothing store and compare that to Fratianno mocking Louis Dragna for the same thing. Gambino and Dragna were members but not seasoned killers like Gravano and Fratianno. The ironic thing is, if the Mafia is still around in 100 years it will be because of families like the Gambinos and Dragnas.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at, that Bonanno is a main source for the idea that Gambino was manipulative and pulling strings but he also says Gambino was a weak-willed pawn ultimately doing it for bigger fish like Lucchese and Magaddino. So on one hand he places Gambino in Machiavellian plots (especially with the Colombos, which is supported by other sources) but not as the mastermind.

Bonanno seems to be one of, if not the only, direct sources who paints Gambino as a mafia "chess player" but his account also diminishes Gambino's role in these plots. I'm not sure who else we have that discussed Gambino this in-depth yet the public perception is he was some kind of puppet master. Gambino was close to some other bosses and had influence with them but the Colombo situation is the only one where it could be substantially argued he pulled strings.