Genovese Family induction ceremony August 11th, 2003

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: Genovese Family induction ceremony August 11th, 2003

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:41 am
JohnnyS wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:15 am While being a soldier he did seem to have a lot of clout in the family. He was mistaken for being a high ranking captain at times. I believe both Bologna and Arillotta identified him as such.
What makes you say Arillotta was mistaken about DeLuca being a captain? I'd think his proximity to Nigro when he was on the panel would make him a fairly reliable source about DeLuca. IIRC, Arillotta said DeLuca was a captain (or at least acting) even prior to Nigro being put on the panel, and that Nigro leap-frogged over him when everyone expected DeLuca to get Muscarella's spot.
I thought the same. If Bologna and Arillota identified him as a captain.... isn't that proof enough he was a captain?

Bologna interests me. Why was he placed in such a position of 'power' ie conduit/messenger if he wasn't made? Why wasn't he made? Not a young guy. They'd make Arillota but not Bologna? Why?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Brovelli
Straightened out

Post by Brovelli »

JohnnyS wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:15 am ^ If that's the case then I wonder if it was a place linked to Pasquale DeLuca? He had a lot of gambling spots in the Bronx. His presence there isn't unusual though, DeLuca was scheduled to travel to Connecticut with John Ardito later that year to conduct a ceremony. While being a soldier he did seem to have a lot of clout in the family. He was mistaken for being a high ranking captain at times. I believe both Bologna and Arillotta identified him as such.
You probably know this already but de Luca and nigro weee the two at the ceremony so very plausible de Luca organized the location etc
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

JohnnyS wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:59 am Arillotta identified him as a high ranking captain when he first met him in the late 90s. I don't see how he could've been a high ranking capo when he was under Muscarella then when Muscarella went on the panel and served as acting boss, Patty Falcetti stepped in as Muscarella's acting capo. DeLuca probably did serve as an acting capo at times likely when Nigro was bumped up but most of the FBI affidavits I've read from back then had him listed as a soldier and he was indicted as such in 2005. Also, Louis Moscatiello was identified as acting by around 2003 too.
Did Arillotta say specifically that DeLuca was a captain when he first met him or was he just describing him using the rank he had later?

Leadership of that crew seems to get quite confusing after Falcetti is made acting captain. I don't think Falcetti would have held the position for long because he was on house arrest with electronic monitoring after his indictment in the spring of 2001, which I imagine would hinder him from being able to fulfil his responsibilities effectively.

I'm also wondering if there was a split in the crew around this time. I'm reminded of one of John Bologna's 302s where he told the government that when Nigro was put on the panel, he and DeLuca were both captains.
IMG_4249.jpeg
That 302 was also from 2008 when Bologna started to be more honest with the government and admitted lying about things previously.

I don't know what to make of Bologna saying Leo and Cirillo were on the panel with Nigro when he was upped, since Arillotta said it was Dentico and Gigante. I'd be more inclined to take Arillotta's word on that seeing as he was a member reporting direct to the administration and could be introduced to them formally. In 2004, Bologna told the FBI that Dentico was very sick and Leo was acting for him, so maybe Leo took over from Dentico at some point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:28 am
JohnnyS wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:15 am While being a soldier he did seem to have a lot of clout in the family. He was mistaken for being a high ranking captain at times. I believe both Bologna and Arillotta identified him as such.
What makes you say Arillotta was mistaken about DeLuca being a captain? I'd think his proximity to Nigro when he was on the panel would make him a fairly reliable source about DeLuca. IIRC, Arillotta said DeLuca was a captain (or at least acting) even prior to Nigro being put on the panel, and that Nigro leap-frogged over him when everyone expected DeLuca to get Muscarella's spot.
I thought the same. If Bologna and Arillota identified him as a captain.... isn't that proof enough he was a captain?

Bologna interests me. Why was he placed in such a position of 'power' ie conduit/messenger if he wasn't made? Why wasn't he made? Not a young guy. They'd make Arillota but not Bologna? Why?
Bologna was a bullshitter. The feds would not even let him testify he was so bad. So, if you believe Arillota...but how would he know his rank?
Brovelli
Straightened out

Post by Brovelli »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:28 am

I think the power is purely because nigro put bologna with him and was using him, specifically for Connecticut. Not sure he held standing with anyone else in the mob but gained power by association with Nigro’s rise. The whole situation with Nigro just seems very uncharacteristic for the west side
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:22 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:59 am Arillotta identified him as a high ranking captain when he first met him in the late 90s. I don't see how he could've been a high ranking capo when he was under Muscarella then when Muscarella went on the panel and served as acting boss, Patty Falcetti stepped in as Muscarella's acting capo. DeLuca probably did serve as an acting capo at times likely when Nigro was bumped up but most of the FBI affidavits I've read from back then had him listed as a soldier and he was indicted as such in 2005. Also, Louis Moscatiello was identified as acting by around 2003 too.
Did Arillotta say specifically that DeLuca was a captain when he first met him or was he just describing him using the rank he had later?

Leadership of that crew seems to get quite confusing after Falcetti is made acting captain. I don't think Falcetti would have held the position for long because he was on house arrest with electronic monitoring after his indictment in the spring of 2001, which I imagine would hinder him from being able to fulfil his responsibilities effectively.

I'm also wondering if there was a split in the crew around this time. I'm reminded of one of John Bologna's 302s where he told the government that when Nigro was put on the panel, he and DeLuca were both captains.

IMG_4249.jpeg

That 302 was also from 2008 when Bologna started to be more honest with the government and admitted lying about things previously.

I don't know what to make of Bologna saying Leo and Cirillo were on the panel with Nigro when he was upped, since Arillotta said it was Dentico and Gigante. I'd be more inclined to take Arillotta's word on that seeing as he was a member reporting direct to the administration and could be introduced to them formally. In 2004, Bologna told the FBI that Dentico was very sick and Leo was acting for him, so maybe Leo took over from Dentico at some point.
1999 was when he first met DeLuca and he said he was a high ranking captain in control of Springfield. I think he did identify DeLuca as a captain again after he was made. Like I said they had him doing ceremonies so whether he was a full captain or not he was still a powerful member. Was involved in a few sit downs too.

It's hard to identify who was on the panels at specific times because it seems it constantly rotated between a number of guys. Nigro apparently was off the panel by 2004, think I've said this previously, he was said to have been involved in a power struggle with Danny Leo. They didn't get along and some of this evidence was going to be used at Nigro's trial but I don't think the government ended up using it.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Nigro made alot of mistakes. He made poor decisions. There alot. He gave arillotta or i think the geas brothers permission to beat up felix trangese a made guy. Thats crazy. The whole big john guy. Had arillota and one of the geas brother shoot a union guy for some type of slight I forgot. But he was a bad choice. I forgot i read a few of the capos where surprised he became a capo and street boss for that short time over pat deluca even arillotta was miffed. Or buster ardito
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

JohnnyS wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:23 am Nigro apparently was off the panel by 2004, think I've said this previously, he was said to have been involved in a power struggle with Danny Leo. They didn't get along and some of this evidence was going to be used at Nigro's trial but I don't think the government ended up using it.
Meant to ask a follow-up about this but forgot, do you have anymore information about this or what file you found it in? I've had a look and I was able to find one mention of it in a response by the Geas brothers to a government motion in limine, but haven't seen the government's evidence itself:
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 23.33.08.png

How long exactly Nigro spent on the panel is one thing I'm curious about. Arillotta doesn't talk as much in interviews about what the administration looked like in the period after the Bruno murder. I have found other documents as well suggesting that Nigro was still on the panel or at least in a position of authority as late as 2007.

First, Tranghese's sentencing memo saying that Nigro was still an acting boss in 2006 when he ordered Freddy Geas to assault Tranghese:
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.28.09.png

Second, about money from Springfield extortions still being kicked up to Nigro through 2007 (the year he went to prison):
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 16.00.42.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:43 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:23 am Nigro apparently was off the panel by 2004, think I've said this previously, he was said to have been involved in a power struggle with Danny Leo. They didn't get along and some of this evidence was going to be used at Nigro's trial but I don't think the government ended up using it.
Meant to ask a follow-up about this but forgot, do you have anymore information about this or what file you found it in? I've had a look and I was able to find one mention of it in a response by the Geas brothers to a government motion in limine, but haven't seen the government's evidence itself:

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 23.33.08.png

How long exactly Nigro spent on the panel is one thing I'm curious about. Arillotta doesn't talk as much in interviews about what the administration looked like in the period after the Bruno murder. I have found other documents as well suggesting that Nigro was still on the panel or at least in a position of authority as late as 2007.

First, Tranghese's sentencing memo saying that Nigro was still an acting boss in 2006 when he ordered Freddy Geas to assault Tranghese:

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 12.28.09.png

Second, about money from Springfield extortions still being kicked up to Nigro through 2007 (the year he went to prison):

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 16.00.42.png
I'm sure it's one of the pre trial letters from the government or Nigro's attorneys. He may have been taken off the panel but then put back on it when Cirillo, Dentico, Ianniello and Barbato were all indicted in 05/06.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

I think Nigro's rep of 'making miatakes'/'why was he a boss' etc is incredibly undeserved.
Basciano, Prisco and Nigro were all very powerful captains who all had key guys in their crew flip and put them away for murder.
Nigrobwas a literal unknown and rose to an acting boss position, in the Westside. Truly an achievement. If Arillotta hadn't flipped its almost certain he'd be free and at the least an incredibly powerful skipper, if not more.

He had Arillota clip a guy, he'd done prison, he clipped Bruno because he had too. I don't see anything outside the playbook, certainly not a litany of mistakes to question his power. He also stood up, which isn't a small thing as hell die in prison.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Artie Nigro is the prime example of the rumors you hear about the Genovese putting guys they don't like on front street because so the fed can arrest them. There is nothing credible about Nigro being liked by anyone except for Bologna. And he doesn't really count because Bologna is full of baloney.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Tonyd621 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:25 pm Artie Nigro is the prime example of the rumors you hear about the Genovese putting guys they don't like on front street because so the fed can arrest them. There is nothing credible about Nigro being liked by anyone except for Bologna. And he doesn't really count because Bologna is full of baloney.
You literally dont know your asshole from your earhole.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Nigro rose to acting boss with the Westside.

Tony rose from 'Eh!' to 'Eh?"