How are the Colombos viewed by other mafia families?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bluehouse
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: How are the Colombos viewed by other mafia families?

Post by bluehouse »

As pathetic as the colombos are they are are still more powerful than Chicago philly and the decavalcante put together
Newyorkempire
Full Patched

Post by Newyorkempire »

bluehouse wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:34 pm As pathetic as the colombos are they are are still more powerful than Chicago philly and the decavalcante put together
Definitely not
"Dont leave me alone with your wife."
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pennisi said that although the Genovese are much more powerful than the Colombos it varies when you compare them crew to crew. He said for example Joe Amato's Staten Island Colombo crew was a bigger deal than some Genovese crews.

There is a tendency to look at New York as if what matters on the street is this big picture view of how all the Families compare but Pennisi's take is how the members actually think. There are members of the other four Families who live alongside and associate with Colombo members they respect and they don't stop and think "Wait, aren't the Colombos an embarrassment 'cause of all the ratz 'n' warz?" No, they know these guys as well-connected mafia members in good standing who they like to hang out with and do business.

The way Philly is treated should also tell you about how the Colombos are viewed. Philly's modern history is just as "embarrassing", maybe moreso, and there have been issues like NYC Families not recognizing them but the Stefanelli tapes and what's known of Merlino post-release shows that important NYC members are eager to connect with Philly members and see them as confratelli. The other Families are even more strongly connected to the Colombos but Philly is a good example for comparison.

Where does the idea come from that the Colombos have to avert their eyes when a member of another Family walks in a room? Sure the Colombos are the smallest Family and have had a lot of issues that impacted their stability, the other Families at times expressing disapproval (while often trying to help the situation, which is an important detail), but this idea of the Colombos as an abused and neglected step-child has taken on a life of its own in the media and among online mob followers.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

B. wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:20 pm but this idea of the Colombos as an abused and neglected step-child has taken on a life of its own in the media and among online mob followers.
Yeah, they are still made guys at the end of the day and technically should be treated with the same status, respect, and protocol - those types of interactions probably vary on more of a personal level I am guessing though - but modern day Colombos, DeCavalcantes, etc. aren't going to be treated like a joke by any other made guy who takes the rules seriously. There are even some examples in modern times of Colombos and Genovese guys working together , one I recall off the top of my head was the guy Scorscia (sp) in Amato's crew working with Chris Chericio and that captain DeMeo from Brooklyn. Wouldn't be surprised if those Coney Island Genovese guys like Barry Nichols had something going on with Colombo guys too just beause of geography and the types of businesses they move around in.
TSNYC
Straightened out

Post by TSNYC »

Nichilo and his crew likely dealt with Teddy and Carmine Persico who run Vintage Towing / auto body …. Like others have said, guys on street don’t think in this macro level like us, Gambinos came up in same neighborhoods as Colombos and Bonannos, etc; serious or class guys on street are respected for that. At one time, not too long ago, but from (not sure if still active, but was a hub as recently as couple years ago), Colombos had a social club on Ocean Ave in rosebank area of Staten Island that was frequented by Genovese and Lucchese guys.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

Sorry kind if off topic but I follow a bunch of Colombo guys kids on Instagram and they have $$$$$$. Iced out chains and always driving nice ass cars lol Jojo Petillo son has a big ass iced out “JP” chain 😂😂😂 Angelo Spadas kid has a driver that drives him around in a brand new Escalade all day. Vinny Posa kids always in rolls Royce’s and shit. And they still hang out with Ferrara son even tho he recently ratted. There’s prob more that I’m forgetting. They def are striving to be made one day lol
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

B. wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:29 am I believe Fusco was originally from Brooklyn. I'd be curious which Colombo guys have originally come from other neighborhoods outside of Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens, and Long Island.

Joe Yacovelli and Mooney Cutrone were Little Italy guys which wasn't typical of the Family. Don't know who recruited Yacovelli but he in turn sponsored Cutrone.
According to a FBI informant in the late 60s, Yacovelli was sponsored for membership by Ralph 'Whitey' Tropiano.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

AntComello wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:38 am Sorry kind if off topic but I follow a bunch of Colombo guys kids on Instagram and they have $$$$$$. Iced out chains and always driving nice ass cars lol Jojo Petillo son has a big ass iced out “JP” chain 😂😂😂 Angelo Spadas kid has a driver that drives him around in a brand new Escalade all day. Vinny Posa kids always in rolls Royce’s and shit. And they still hang out with Ferrara son even tho he recently ratted. There’s prob more that I’m forgetting. They def are striving to be made one day lol
Doesn't the Posa family have money - that pizza business and multiple properties/real estate? They surely aren't driving around like that off the back of Vinny and him selling Roxi 30s and coke. At least that's what I would think. Wonder how many of these kids have something going on themselves as well, wouldn't be surprised if some are working in the MCA field or some other quasi-legal hustle where they are legally able to rob people. I've heard that Vinny Posa is a good guy and a gentleman.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

newera_212 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:51 am
AntComello wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:38 am Sorry kind if off topic but I follow a bunch of Colombo guys kids on Instagram and they have $$$$$$. Iced out chains and always driving nice ass cars lol Jojo Petillo son has a big ass iced out “JP” chain 😂😂😂 Angelo Spadas kid has a driver that drives him around in a brand new Escalade all day. Vinny Posa kids always in rolls Royce’s and shit. And they still hang out with Ferrara son even tho he recently ratted. There’s prob more that I’m forgetting. They def are striving to be made one day lol
Doesn't the Posa family have money - that pizza business and multiple properties/real estate? They surely aren't driving around like that off the back of Vinny and him selling Roxi 30s and coke. At least that's what I would think. Wonder how many of these kids have something going on themselves as well, wouldn't be surprised if some are working in the MCA field or some other quasi-legal hustle where they are legally able to rob people. I've heard that Vinny Posa is a good guy and a gentleman.
They sold that pizza business about a year ago. Not sure what other business they have or run. Definitely not hurting for money tho. Your right they must have real estate or something that bring them income every month. The son used to always post about that pizza place but since they sold he hasn’t posted anything showing he has another job. Whatever happened with that pill case Vinny Posa caught? Havnt heard anything.
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

How real do you think any of that crap is?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

We know Mancuso is close with Colombo members, so we can infer that at least the Bronx faction of the Bonannos probably hold the Colombos in high regard.

I imagine the fact that the Colombos have kept their membership so close knit and that they mostly all share common familial ties is respected by other families. The common myth "the Genovese don't allow their sons to made - that's why they are so smart and powerful" can be disproven even within the Genovese (Larcas, Esposito, etc.) My thinking is that is Chin playing mind games with Gotti.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

moneyman wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:39 am The common myth "the Genovese don't allow their sons to made - that's why they are so smart and powerful" can be disproven even within the Genovese (Larcas, Esposito, etc.)
This is a common myth?

I may have heard one or twice the Genovese don’t usually make their sons on same scale as some other families but that being the reason they’re ‘smart and powerful’ is just ridiculous. Who has said this?
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:47 am
moneyman wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:39 am The common myth "the Genovese don't allow their sons to made - that's why they are so smart and powerful" can be disproven even within the Genovese (Larcas, Esposito, etc.)
This is a common myth?

I may have heard one or twice the Genovese don’t usually make their sons on same scale as some other families but that being the reason they’re ‘smart and powerful’ is just ridiculous. Who has said this?
Not that I agree with the argument but I understand it.
Inductions are based on merit vs nepotism.
I don't think it explains the exceptionalism of the Westside but there is a logic to it.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

The Colombos must be repected in Italy. They have relations with the Glen Cove/ Ndrangheta people...
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:47 am
This is a common myth?

If I remember right this was originally mentioned by Gravano in his book, also mentioned in Five Families from Raab, and recently in Gravano's podcast.

But neither Mr. Gravano nor most of the other mobsters were really delighted with the lives they had chosen. Of the most important meeting he ever attended, among the bosses of the various New York crime families -- including Vincent (the Chin) Gigante, who was supposed to be too mentally deranged to find his way there, but somehow did -- Mr. Gravano tells us: ''One thing I'll never forget from that meeting was John telling Chin in sort of a proud way that his son, John Jr., had just been made. Instead of congratulating him, Chin said, 'Jeez, I'm sorry to hear that.' We were a little shocked by this, but Chin was right. Paul Castellano didn't want his kids in the life. None of Chin's sons were made. I myself would be dead set against it. I wanted my son to be legitimate, to have nothing to do with what I did. So here was Chin, who's supposed to be crazy, saying who in their right mind wanted their son to be made? And there was John boasting about it. Who was really crazy?''